Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 7 Tbsp. chili powder per pound of ground beef?

Seems excessive. I use one Tbsp + 1 tsp. per pound of meat. But I
also add paprika and cayenne.
http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/411353...-2-alarm-chili
{
1 poundGround beef
1 wholeonion; chopped
1 wholegarlic clove; minced
7 tablespoonschili powder
1 teaspooncumin
2 teaspoonsoregano
1 teaspoonpaprika
1/2 teaspooncayenne pepper; to taste
1 dashsalt; to taste
2 tablespoonsmasa corn flour
1 cankidney beans (light red); drained and rinsed
1 canwhole tomatoes; with juice

Ads keep BigOven free. Remove ads with BigOven Pro
Wick Fowler's 2-alarm Chili Preparation

Brown ground beef, drain. Add onion and garlic, cook until onion is
translucent.

Add spices and mix well. Add beans and tomatoes. Cook through until
tomatoes are broken up.

Mix masa with 1/4 cup water add to chili and simmer for another 20
minutes.
}
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Sure do seem excessive on the chili powder. General rule of thumb I use is 2 T. per pound. Also way too many kidney beans and tomaters. Try this sometime. It sorta the opposite of yankee chili..lol. Feel free to skip the MSG since the smart folks have not seemed to decideit aint healthy for a person. Not sure how a billion chinese folks eat five pounds of it a day and are mostly still living. All those fancy chili powders come from Penderys but as it say in the body..non conewer type cheapskates can use whatever is available at Wally World..lol. Dark powders go first..lighter powders go later. Cumin goes last or it will turn bitter. Bon Apetit.

Chile Peppers, Spices, Explore Our Incredible Variety of Chili Pepper Products

Bigwheel's Januine Large Batch Chili (Rev 10/31/09?)

7 lbs ground chuck
2 lbs Jimmy Dean Hot Sausage
1/2 cup Crisco
1 28 oz. can of Hot Mexican Tomater sauce (Kroger's brand is good)
4 T. Granulated onyawns
4 T. Granulated Garlic
2 T. Terlingua Won
1 T. Texas Red Dawg
3 T. Foat Wuth Light
3 T. Rio Tejas
3 T. San Antone Red
6 T. Collen Wallace
1 T. chicken base
4 T. Cumin
2 1/2 t. Lawrys Seasoned Salt
1 t. Cayenne
1/2 t. black peppa
1 T. brown suar
2 packets Goya Sazon (or 2 t. MSG)
beef broth mixed with a little black coffee (enough to cover meat by 2 inches)

Mix up the sausage and ground chuck as if you was making a meat loaf. Wet your hands and form the ground meat in giant meatballs weighing about 1.5 lbs each. Preheat a "big" stew pot and brown up the meatballs in the Crisco. Brown the meat balls on all sides treating them gently. Break them half in two with a large metal spoon and continue to cook with the raw meat side down. Cut them into quarters and continueth to brown. When the meat loses its red color drain off all the grease and add the tomater sauce, beef broth and all the spices and chili powders except the cumin and MSG. Cook gently with a lid and or without till the right consistentcy has been achieved continuing to break up the meat balls with the metal spoon till it resembles chili. Add the cumin..Sazon and brown sugar last and cook about another twenty mins. If you get it too thick you can add some water. If it too thin cook with the lid off for a while. If you aint got no fancy chili powder like I got..make do with whut you have. Put the Mexene in early and the Gebhardts late..or maybe it is vice versa I like about 2 T. chili/chile powder per pound of meat on most occasions. Check the salt and heat content all along the way. Adding cayenne if you want it hotter and Lawrys Seasoning Salt if it aint salty enough. Best way to serve it is go to Sams and buy a case or two of individual sized bags of Fritoes. Open the top of the Frito bags and add chili...shredded cheese and chopped onyawns if desired. Hand them a plastic spoon and a paper towel or two. Simple huh?

bigwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Moose in Love View Post
Seems excessive. I use one Tbsp + 1 tsp. per pound of meat. But I
also add paprika and cayenne.
Wick Fowler's 2-alarm Chili recipe | BigOven
{
[...]

Last edited by bigwheel : 21-02-2013 at 06:10 PM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

That has gotten to be the worst excuse for a chili recipe I've ever seen. Who the **** puts Crisco in chili? What a dumbass.

> bigwheel

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 21, 4:40*pm, jay > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *bigwheel > wrote:
> > 2 T. Terlingua Won
> > 1 T. Texas Red Dawg
> > 3 T. Foat Wuth Light
> > 3 T. Rio Tejas
> > 3 T. San Antone Red
> > 6 T. Collen Wallace

> WTF is all this stuff? *Never, ever seen any recipe for chili using 1/2
> cup Crisco. *Jimmy Dean wouldn't even eat this.
>
> jay

Terlingua(first ingredient) Texas hosted a chili competition once.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:42:48 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
> Seems excessive. I use one Tbsp + 1 tsp. per pound of meat. But I
>
> also add paprika and cayenne.

I use more chili powder than most folks but 7 tablespoons is going too far. I think you got the proportions about right although I don't measure. I also fry the powder with the meat out of habit. Now I need some chili!

> http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/411353...-2-alarm-chili
>
> {
>
> 1 poundGround beef
>
> 1 wholeonion; chopped
>
> 1 wholegarlic clove; minced
>
> 7 tablespoonschili powder
>
> 1 teaspooncumin
>
> 2 teaspoonsoregano
>
> 1 teaspoonpaprika
>
> 1/2 teaspooncayenne pepper; to taste
>
> 1 dashsalt; to taste
>
> 2 tablespoonsmasa corn flour
>
> 1 cankidney beans (light red); drained and rinsed
>
> 1 canwhole tomatoes; with juice
>

> Ads keep BigOven free. Remove ads with BigOven Pro
>
> Wick Fowler's 2-alarm Chili Preparation
>

> Brown ground beef, drain. Add onion and garlic, cook until onion is
>
> translucent.
>

> Add spices and mix well. Add beans and tomatoes. Cook through until
>
> tomatoes are broken up.
>

> Mix masa with 1/4 cup water add to chili and simmer for another 20
>
> minutes.
>
> }

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote:

> http://www.abowlofred.com/
>
> jay

a bowl o' Fred ?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:
> Seems excessive. I use one Tbsp + 1 tsp. per pound of meat. But I
> also add paprika and cayenne.
> http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/411353...-2-alarm-chili
> {
> 1 poundGround beef
> 1 wholeonion; chopped
> 1 wholegarlic clove; minced
> 7 tablespoonschili powder
> 1 teaspooncumin
> 2 teaspoonsoregano
> 1 teaspoonpaprika
> 1/2 teaspooncayenne pepper; to taste
> 1 dashsalt; to taste
> 2 tablespoonsmasa corn flour
> 1 cankidney beans (light red); drained and rinsed
> 1 canwhole tomatoes; with juice
>

> Ads keep BigOven free. Remove ads with BigOven Pro
> Wick Fowler's 2-alarm Chili Preparation
>
> Brown ground beef, drain. Add onion and garlic, cook until onion is
> translucent.
>
> Add spices and mix well. Add beans and tomatoes. Cook through until
> tomatoes are broken up.
>
> Mix masa with 1/4 cup water add to chili and simmer for another 20
> minutes.
> }

That and the amount of oregano seem excessive. I do 2 Tablespoons per pound
of ground beef.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 21, 4:06*pm, Bryan > wrote:

> That has gotten to be the worst excuse for a chili recipe I've ever seen. *Who the **** puts Crisco in chili? *What a dumbass.

" Preheat a "big" stew pot and brown up the meatballs
in the Crisco."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 22, 10:40*am, Thomas > wrote:
> On Feb 21, 4:06*pm, Bryan > wrote:
>

> > That has gotten to be the worst excuse for a chili recipe I've ever seen. *Who the **** puts Crisco in chili? *What a dumbass.

> " Preheat a "big" stew pot and brown up the meatballs
> in the Crisco."

It 's not meatBALLS, it's ground beef. And you can brown ground beef
without using any additional grease (like Crisco).

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 22, 2013 11:27:12 AM UTC-6, Nancy2 wrote:
> On Feb 22, 10:40*am, Thomas > wrote:
>
> > On Feb 21, 4:06*pm, Bryan > wrote:

> > > That has gotten to be the worst excuse for a chili recipe I've ever seen. *Who the **** puts Crisco in chili? *What a dumbass.

> > " Preheat a "big" stew pot and brown up the meatballs

> > in the Crisco."

> It 's not meatBALLS, it's ground beef. And you can brown ground beef
>
> without using any additional grease (like Crisco).

I bet Thomas just like the thought of eating BALLS. He should try these
Crisco-free balls--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1552229...7625450892229/

> N.

--Bryan

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Chili cooks use Crisco..dipwad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan[_6_] View Post
On Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:06:16 PM UTC-6, bigwheel wrote:
Sure do seem excessive on the chili powder. General rule of thumb I use

is 2 T. per pound. Also way too many kidney beans and tomaters. Try this

sometime. It sorta the opposite of yankee chili..lol. Feel free to skip

the MSG since the smart folks have not seemed to decideit aint healthy

for a person. Not sure how a billion chinese folks eat five pounds of it

a day and are mostly still living. All those fancy chili powders come

from Penderys but as it say in the body..non conewer type cheapskates

can use whatever is available at Wally World..lol. Dark powders go

first..lighter powders go later. Cumin goes last or it will turn bitter.

Bon Apetit.

'Chile Peppers, Spices, Explore Our Incredible Variety of Chili Pepper

Products' (Chile Peppers, Spices, Explore Our Incredible Variety of Chili Pepper Products)

[...]

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Jimmy Dean loves it. All the serious chili cooks use Crisco to brown the meat. Some of the old timers used bacon drippings and thats excellent too. Guess it would be Ok for yankee yups to use Coconut oil. Just not liable to gather any dust collectors on the contest circuit. I would rule Olive Oyl plumb out of the pic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 22, 2013 11:58:53 AM UTC-6, bigwheel wrote:
> Chili cooks use Crisco..dipwad.

Only a pig would use Crisco in the 21st century.
That shit isn't even legal to fry in in some major cities, and
even whole nations.

I think it's time you finished painting your grandchild's crib
with lead paint, and insulating your house with asbestos.

> bigwheel

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:
>bigwheel wrote:
>>
>> Chili cooks use Crisco..dipwad.
>>

>Only a pig would use Crisco in the 21st century.

Pigs are partial to lard.

Crisco is fine for baked goods (Crisco no longer contains transfats)
but no self respecting chili maven would use other than corn oil or
lard. And never bacon fat in chili; TIAD!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 22, 2013 5:37:28 PM UTC-6, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Bryan wrote:
>
> >bigwheel wrote:

> >> Chili cooks use Crisco..dipwad.

> >Only a pig would use Crisco in the 21st century.

> Pigs are partial to lard.
>

> Crisco is fine for baked goods (Crisco no longer contains transfats)

Wrong. "As of 2012, Crisco consists of a blend of soybean oil, fully hydrogenated palm oil, and partially hydrogenated palm and soybean oils."
source-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisco

They get the trans fat down to <0.5 grams *per serving* and round down
to zero.
"In January 2007, faced with the prospect of an outright ban on the sale of their product, Crisco was reformulated to meet the United States Food and Drug Administration definition of 'zero grams trans fats per serving' (that is less than one gram per tablespoon, or up to 7% by weight; or less than 0.5 grams per serving size)[27][28][29][30] by boosting the saturation and then diluting the resulting solid fat with unsaturated vegetable oils."
source-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat#History

"Up to 7% by weight" is not the same as, "no longer contains transfats."