Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Coring apples: How to make a hole - but not all the way down?

For bird's-nest pudding, I need to make a hole to put the brown sugar in. Clearly, I don't want the hole to go all the way through. I don't have a regular apple corer, but the ones I've seen at Google Images don't really look any better than my peeler. In short, I can only do it slowly and carefully - with a paring knife if I want enough room. Got any other ideas?

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

lenona321wrote:

>For bird's-nest pudding, I need to make a hole to put the brown sugar in.
>Clearly, I don't want the hole to go all the way through.
>I don't have a regular apple corer, but the ones I've seen at Google Images
>don't really look any better than my peeler. In short, I can only do it slowly and
>carefully - with a paring knife if I want enough room. Got any other ideas?

Apple corers are inexpensive:
http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Stainle...ds=apple+corer

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> lenona321wrote:
>>
>> For bird's-nest pudding, I need to make a hole to put the brown
>> sugar in. Clearly, I don't want the hole to go all the way through.
>> I don't have a regular apple corer, but the ones I've seen at Google
>> Images
>> don't really look any better than my peeler. In short, I can only do
>> it slowly and carefully - with a paring knife if I want enough room.
>> Got any other ideas?

> Apple corers are inexpensive:
> http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Stainle...ds=apple+corer

But they will put the hole all the way through.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 11:42*am, wrote:
> For bird's-nest pudding, I need to make a hole to put the brown sugar in. Clearly, I don't want the hole to go all the way through. I don't have a regular apple corer, but the ones I've seen at Google Images don't really look any better than my peeler. In short, I can only do it slowly and carefully - with a paring knife if I want enough room. Got any other ideas?

A Melon Baller will work.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 2:14*pm, Michael OConnor > wrote:
> On Feb 11, 11:42*am, wrote:
>
> > For bird's-nest pudding, I need to make a hole to put the brown sugar in. Clearly, I don't want the hole to go all the way through. I don't have a regular apple corer, but the ones I've seen at Google Images don't really look any better than my peeler. In short, I can only do it slowly and carefully - with a paring knife if I want enough room. Got any other ideas?

> A Melon Baller will work.

So will a plain old spoon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 17:19:55 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

> On 2/11/2013 2:49 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 10:46:01 -0800, "Cheri" >
> > wrote:

> >> Now, that's a good idea.
> >>

> > Agreed!
> >

> That's how I do for microwaved baked apple (4 minutes). Fill the apple
> with raisins and grate on nutmeg and perhaps add some brown sugar.

I tell ya... this is opening a whole new world for me. Maybe that's
how grandpa made the brown sugar & cinnamon stay in the core of his
baked apples. I don't remember that part and always wondered what I'm
doing wrong when it melts out and goes all over the pan.

In any case, after looking at a lot of Bird's Nest Pudding recipes via
Google Images - I've decided that it really doesn't matter about
containing the batter because it looks and sounds like a sweet version
of Toad in the Hole to me. If I ever tried making Bird's Nest
Pudding, I'd probably cut my apples in half at the equator (because we
never want to eat a whole one anyway) and go for this look.
http://trialx.org/wp-content/uploads..._Pudding-1.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 17:19:55 -0500, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2/11/2013 2:49 PM, sf wrote:

>>> Agreed!
>>>

>> That's how I do for microwaved baked apple (4 minutes). Fill the
>> apple with raisins and grate on nutmeg and perhaps add some brown
>> sugar.

> I tell ya... this is opening a whole new world for me. Maybe that's
> how grandpa made the brown sugar & cinnamon stay in the core of his
> baked apples. I don't remember that part and always wondered what I'm
> doing wrong when it melts out and goes all over the pan.
>
> In any case, after looking at a lot of Bird's Nest Pudding recipes via
> Google Images - I've decided that it really doesn't matter about
> containing the batter because it looks and sounds like a sweet version
> of Toad in the Hole to me. If I ever tried making Bird's Nest
> Pudding, I'd probably cut my apples in half at the equator (because we
> never want to eat a whole one anyway) and go for this look.

http://trialx.org/wp-content/uploads..._Pudding-1.jpg

We like Lidia Bastianich's recipe for baked apples except that we don't put
on the chocolate sauce or cherries. She cores each one and puts a cinnamon
stick inside. But I would only make them that way if I wanted to be fancy.
Husband and daughter love the slices that you can get at Costco. If I have
extra, or sometimes I will just buy extra to do this... I throw them in a
baking dish with a little margarine (you could use butter), brown sugar
Splenda (you could use brown sugar) and cinnamon. I find that the addition
of margarine helps to thicken the liquid that comes off as they bake. Cover
to bake or the top ones will dry out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

-snip-

>I tell ya... this is opening a whole new world for me. Maybe that's
>how grandpa made the brown sugar & cinnamon stay in the core of his
>baked apples. I don't remember that part and always wondered what I'm
>doing wrong when it melts out and goes all over the pan.

Pan? I'm not your grandpa- but I've always wrapped my apples in
foil- Poke the core right out- fill with raisins brown sugar and
cinnamon- a dab of butter on top- wrap tightly- and place in campfire
or oven. We don't nee no steenking pan.<g>

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 20:34:40 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> sf > wrote:
>
> -snip-
> >
> >I tell ya... this is opening a whole new world for me. Maybe that's
> >how grandpa made the brown sugar & cinnamon stay in the core of his
> >baked apples. I don't remember that part and always wondered what I'm
> >doing wrong when it melts out and goes all over the pan.

> Pan? I'm not your grandpa- but I've always wrapped my apples in
> foil- Poke the core right out- fill with raisins brown sugar and
> cinnamon- a dab of butter on top- wrap tightly- and place in campfire
> or oven. We don't nee no steenking pan.<g>

No, he didn't do foil and to be honest - it wasn't a pan. It was a
pyrex dish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/12/2013 1:00 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 20:34:40 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
> wrote:
>
>> sf > wrote:
>>
>> -snip-
>>> I tell ya... this is opening a whole new world for me. Maybe that's
>>> how grandpa made the brown sugar & cinnamon stay in the core of his
>>> baked apples. I don't remember that part and always wondered what I'm
>>> doing wrong when it melts out and goes all over the pan.

>> Pan? I'm not your grandpa- but I've always wrapped my apples in
>> foil- Poke the core right out- fill with raisins brown sugar and
>> cinnamon- a dab of butter on top- wrap tightly- and place in campfire
>> or oven. We don't nee no steenking pan.<g>
>>

> No, he didn't do foil and to be honest - it wasn't a pan. It was a
> pyrex dish.

As I have said, you can make excellent baked apples in the microwave.
Three to four minutes on full.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 08:33:04 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

> On 2/12/2013 1:00 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 20:34:40 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> sf > wrote:
> >>
> >> -snip-
> >> Pan? I'm not your grandpa- but I've always wrapped my apples in
> >> foil- Poke the core right out- fill with raisins brown sugar and
> >> cinnamon- a dab of butter on top- wrap tightly- and place in campfire
> >> or oven. We don't nee no steenking pan.<g>
> >>

> > No, he didn't do foil and to be honest - it wasn't a pan. It was a
> > pyrex dish.
> >

> As I have said, you can make excellent baked apples in the microwave.
> Three to four minutes on full.

You forgot, I hate microwave "cooking". I heat water and warm up
leftovers in mine. Nothing more, not even with a gun to my head.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/12/2013 10:22 AM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 08:33:04 -0500, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2/12/2013 1:00 AM, sf wrote:

>>> No, he didn't do foil and to be honest - it wasn't a pan. It was a
>>> pyrex dish.
>>>

>> As I have said, you can make excellent baked apples in the microwave.
>> Three to four minutes on full.

> You forgot, I hate microwave "cooking". I heat water and warm up
> leftovers in mine. Nothing more, not even with a gun to my head.

Can't say I ever noticed your hatred of nuking but there it is!

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 10:37:44 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

> On 2/12/2013 10:22 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 08:33:04 -0500, James Silverton
> > > wrote:

> >> As I have said, you can make excellent baked apples in the microwave.
> >> Three to four minutes on full.

> > You forgot, I hate microwave "cooking". I heat water and warm up
> > leftovers in mine. Nothing more, not even with a gun to my head.
> >

> Can't say I ever noticed your hatred of nuking but there it is!

Heh, well - I haven't made *that* big of a deal out of it; but I'd be
very appreciative if you tattooed my preferences to your forehead just
so you won't forget from now on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/12/2013 11:10 AM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 10:37:44 -0500, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2/12/2013 10:22 AM, sf wrote:
>>> On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 08:33:04 -0500, James Silverton

>>> You forgot, I hate microwave "cooking". I heat water and warm up
>>> leftovers in mine. Nothing more, not even with a gun to my head.
>>>

>> Can't say I ever noticed your hatred of nuking but there it is!

> Heh, well - I haven't made *that* big of a deal out of it; but I'd be
> very appreciative if you tattooed my preferences to your forehead just
> so you won't forget from now on.

Wouldn't do much good, would it? I don't have a mirror on my monitor :-)

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 08:10:36 -0800, sf > wrote:

> I'd be
>very appreciative if you tattooed my preferences to your forehead just
>so you won't forget from now on.

How can he see them if they're tatooed on *his* forehead?
;-)
--
Bob
www.kanyak.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 11:21:45 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

> On 2/12/2013 11:10 AM, sf wrote:
> >>>
> >> Can't say I ever noticed your hatred of nuking but there it is!

> > Heh, well - I haven't made *that* big of a deal out of it; but I'd be
> > very appreciative if you tattooed my preferences to your forehead just
> > so you won't forget from now on.
> >

> Wouldn't do much good, would it? I don't have a mirror on my monitor :-)

No reflection? Are you a vampire???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 18:28:16 +0200, Opinicus
> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 08:10:36 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> > I'd be
> >very appreciative if you tattooed my preferences to your forehead just
> >so you won't forget from now on.

> How can he see them if they're tatooed on *his* forehead?
> ;-)

Easy! He can review them every morning when he shaves.