Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default white powder on dried figs

We buy dried figs in a packet, which usually takes some weeks for us to
finish. Meanwhile we get a white crystalline powdery deposit forming on the
surface of the figs.

Is this advisable to eat, as i guess it's some sort of fungus; or should we
scrub or scrape it off?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave West" wrote:

>We buy dried figs in a packet, which usually takes some weeks for us to
>finish. Meanwhile we get a white crystalline powdery deposit forming on the
>surface of the figs.
>
>Is this advisable to eat, as i guess it's some sort of fungus; or should we
>scrub or scrape it off?

That's perfectly safe to eat. That's sugar migrating to the surface,
same as the bloom on chocolate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2013 6:01:35 AM UTC-6, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Dave West" wrote:
>

> >We buy dried figs in a packet, which usually takes some weeks for us to

> >finish. Meanwhile we get a white crystalline powdery deposit forming on the

> >surface of the figs.

> >Is this advisable to eat, as i guess it's some sort of fungus; or should we

> >scrub or scrape it off?

> That's perfectly safe to eat. That's sugar migrating to the surface,
>
> same as the bloom on chocolate.

True. Raisins do that too.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Dave West" wrote:
>> We buy dried figs in a packet, which usually takes some weeks for us to
>> finish. Meanwhile we get a white crystalline powdery deposit forming on the
>> surface of the figs.
>>
>> Is this advisable to eat, as i guess it's some sort of fungus; or should we
>> scrub or scrape it off?

> That's perfectly safe to eat. That's sugar migrating to the surface,
> same as the bloom on chocolate.

I actually prefer figs when they are in that state.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 11:57:20 -0000, "Dave West"
> wrote:

> We buy dried figs in a packet, which usually takes some weeks for us to
> finish. Meanwhile we get a white crystalline powdery deposit forming on the
> surface of the figs.
>
> Is this advisable to eat, as i guess it's some sort of fungus; or should we
> scrub or scrape it off?

Isn't it just sugar? Leave it alone and eat. If it's really fungus,
which would be furry, throw it out and don't eat any.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 11:10:36 -0800, sf wrote:

> Isn't it just sugar? Leave it alone and eat. If it's really fungus,
> which would be furry, throw it out and don't eat any.

Fungus are typically not furry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 12:40:16 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 11:57:20 -0000, Dave West wrote:
>
>> We buy dried figs in a packet, which usually takes some weeks for us to
>> finish. Meanwhile we get a white crystalline powdery deposit forming on the
>> surface of the figs.
>>
>> Is this advisable to eat, as i guess it's some sort of fungus; or should we
>> scrub or scrape it off?

>What are the ingredients on the package? Figs are often coated with
>something to keep them from sticking together in the package. It may
>be something as simple as flour, or it a chemical humectant such as
>glycerol to also keep them fresh.

Pure dwarfy know-nothing bullshit. Were figs coated with flour the
ingredients list would say. Some dried fruits are chemically treated
to keep them from turning brown but rarely and would say. I've never
heard of anything added to dried fruit to keep them from sticking
together. Dried figs are most often threaded (string figs) threaded
on a natural plant twig... over time they become more dry and are less
likely to stick. The dwarf is a food moron.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 15:07:26 -0600, Pro Meat Nazi
> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 11:10:36 -0800, sf wrote:
>
> > Isn't it just sugar? Leave it alone and eat. If it's really fungus,
> > which would be furry, throw it out and don't eat any.

> Fungus are typically not furry.

You're talking about mushrooms?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 13:47:24 -0800, sf wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 15:07:26 -0600, Pro Meat Nazi
> > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 11:10:36 -0800, sf wrote:
>>
>>> Isn't it just sugar? Leave it alone and eat. If it's really fungus,
>>> which would be furry, throw it out and don't eat any.

>> Fungus are typically not furry.

> You're talking about mushrooms?

You're talking about mold, a very specific kind of fungus. Culinarily
speaking they are quite different and not used interchangeably.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 3:57*am, "Dave West" > wrote:
> We buy dried figs in a packet, which usually takes some weeks for us to
> finish. Meanwhile we get a white crystalline powdery deposit forming on the
> surface of the figs.
>
> Is this advisable to eat, as i guess it's some sort of fungus; or should we
> scrub or scrape it off?

Are they from Mexico? Might be cocaine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 16:48:33 -0600, Pro Meat Nazi
> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 13:47:24 -0800, sf wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 15:07:26 -0600, Pro Meat Nazi
> > > wrote:

> >> Fungus are typically not furry.

> > You're talking about mushrooms?

> You're talking about mold, a very specific kind of fungus. Culinarily
> speaking they are quite different and not used interchangeably.

Molds are fungi. 'Nuff said.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 16:45:04 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
> > I've never heard of anything added to dried fruit to keep them from sticking
> > together.

> Yet your own statement says they're covered in sugar. And sugar is
> ... get this... sticky!

No, he didn't. He said it's sugar migrating
to the surface. Figs contain a lot of sugar,
which is why they are sweet, so that's what
I was thinking too. He did not say the sugar
was added to keep them from sticking together.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2013 3:06:04 PM UTC-7, Sqwertz wrote:

<some deletion>

> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
>

> -sw

My Gawd, that looks like some South Pacific house god that we should bow
down to.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Roy > wrote:

> On Monday, February 11, 2013 3:06:04 PM UTC-7, Sqwertz wrote:

> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/

> My Gawd, that looks like some South Pacific house god that we should bow
> down to.

While Steve's sandwich looks extremely inviting, your description put a
new shine on it. I laughed out loud, and a bit of beer ran out of my
nose. An eighth of a turn either way, and the house god effect probably
would have been lessened.
On the other hand, "House God" sandwiches could have a real future if
some restaurant can duplicate that photo with real food every time a
customer orders one.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2013 10:20:55 PM UTC-7, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 18:29:21 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>

> > In article >,

> > Roy > wrote:

> >> My Gawd, that looks like some South Pacific house god that we should bow

> >> down to.

> And that's good. That should be the first thought that comes into
>
> *your* head, Roy, when you see one of my posts. Because you worship
>
> every one of my posts. Heck, without me you wouldn't even exist here.
>

> > On the other hand, "House God" sandwiches could have a real future if

> > some restaurant can duplicate that photo with real food every time a

> > customer orders one.

> I was going for symmetrical. All the avocado is on the inside of the
>
> circle and the lettuce on the outside. I screwed up when I cut the
>
> pickle - some spears were thinner than others, such as the arm on the
>
> left.
>
> -sw

Actually, those sandwiches look pretty good. I sure wouldn't turn one down if it was offered to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave West" > wrote in
:

> We buy dried figs in a packet, which usually takes some weeks

for us
> to finish. Meanwhile we get a white crystalline powdery deposit
> forming on the surface of the figs.
>
> Is this advisable to eat, as i guess it's some sort of fungus;

or
> should we scrub or scrape it off?

from a fig growers web site:

What is the white crystallized substance on my figs?

The “white sugar crystals” that occasionally appear on dried
figs
are the naturally occurring fruit sugars that have come to the
surface and crystallized. This process sometimes happens in
exceptionally sweet figs. These natural fruit sugars are
edible and
many enjoy the light, delicate crunch they add to their fig
eating
experience.

The natural sugar coating is easily eliminated, if desired.
When the
figs are to be eaten as whole figs, a light wash with warm
water
will dissolve the sugar. Or, the sugar can be turned into a
delicate
glaze by putting the figs into a warm oven at low temperature
for a
few minutes. When used in prepared dishes, the figs’ natural
sugar
crystals will dissolve in the baking or cooking process.

Here are some specific proportions and directions that might
be
helpful, if you want to remove the naturally occurring sugar
crystals:

1. Place ½ cup figs in a microwave-safe dish.
2. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon water.
3. Cover loosely and microwave on high for one minute.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2013 8:29:21 PM UTC-6, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >,
>
> Roy > wrote:
>

> > On Monday, February 11, 2013 3:06:04 PM UTC-7, Sqwertz wrote:

> > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/

> > My Gawd, that looks like some South Pacific house god that we should bow

> > down to.

> While Steve's sandwich looks extremely inviting, your description put a
>
> new shine on it. I laughed out loud, and a bit of beer ran out of my
>
> nose. An eighth of a turn either way, and the house god effect probably
>
> would have been lessened.
>
> On the other hand, "House God" sandwiches could have a real future if
>
> some restaurant can duplicate that photo with real food every time a
>
> customer orders one.

I think it's attractive too, to look at. I wouldn't want to actually *eat* it.

> leo

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2013 at 1:07:26 PM UTC-8, Pro Meat Nazi wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 11:10:36 -0800, sf wrote:
>
> > Isn't it just sugar? Leave it alone and eat. If it's really fungus,
> > which would be furry, throw it out and don't eat any.

> Fungus are typically not furry.

Mold is furry.