Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grinder for grinding dried chilies into powder--any recommendations?

It's for my nephew's restaurant. It's easy to find huge industrial sized ones, and I do small batches in my blender, but is there something in between?

http://www.facebook.com/SWdinerSTL

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message
> It's for my nephew's restaurant. It's easy to find huge industrial sized
> ones, and I do small batches in my blender, but is there something in
> between?
>
> http://www.facebook.com/SWdinerSTL
>
> --Bryan

Just happened to notice an ad in The Old Farmer's Almanac today for the
Retsel Corporation.

www.retsel.com

Haven't had a need to look at their website so no idea about products or
quality, but it's a start.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message
> It's for my nephew's restaurant. It's easy to find huge industrial sized
> ones, and I do small batches in my blender, but is there something in
> between?
>
> http://www.facebook.com/SWdinerSTL

Have you tried a Magic Bullet? I haven't tried it for those but I do grind
flax seeds in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paco" <> wrote >
> Just happened to notice an ad in The Old Farmer's Almanac today for the
> Retsel Corporation.
>
> www.retsel.com
>
> Haven't had a need to look at their website so no idea about products or
> quality, but it's a start.

Now there's an interesting resource. Our grandchildren, with fine minds and
fine educations were planning a special event for next January. I asked if
they'd checked The Old Farmer's Almanac for an estimate on the weather. One
said " Is that what that's for?" Another asked me what a Green Beret was.
Today I heard a young neighbor moan that if 4 was bigger than 3, how could
1/4 be smaller than 1/3. Everybody should get to have grandchildren;
they'll keep your brain busy. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 14, 7:11*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> It's for my nephew's restaurant. *It's easy to find huge industrial sized ones, and I do small batches in my blender, but is there something in between?
>
> http://www.facebook.com/SWdinerSTL
>
> --Bryan

I use a coffee grinder.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:22:41 PM UTC-5, Paco wrote:
> "Bryan"
> wrote in message
> > It's for my nephew's restaurant. It's easy to find huge industrial sized
> > ones, and I do small batches in my blender, but is there something in
> > between?
> >
> > http://www.facebook.com/SWdinerSTL
> >
> > --Bryan

> Just happened to notice an ad in The Old Farmer's Almanac today for the
> Retsel Corporation.
>
> www.retsel.com
>
> Haven't had a need to look at their website so no idea about products or
> quality, but it's a start.

Thanks. I sent them a message through their website.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2011 8:41 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Sep 14, 7:11 pm, > wrote:
>> It's for my nephew's restaurant. It's easy to find huge industrial sized ones, and I do small batches in my blender, but is there something in between?
>>
>> http://www.facebook.com/SWdinerSTL
>>
>> --Bryan

> I use a coffee grinder.

I grind most of my spices with a coffee grinder. It's a Cuisinart as of
yesterday since my 25 year old Braun self destructed. I've never had the
nerve to grind hot chillies since I thought dust would be a problem but
maybe I'll have to try.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:32:39 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:

> "Paco" <> wrote >
>> Just happened to notice an ad in The Old Farmer's Almanac today for the
>> Retsel Corporation.
>>
>> www.retsel.com
>>
>> Haven't had a need to look at their website so no idea about products or
>> quality, but it's a start.

> Now there's an interesting resource. Our grandchildren, with fine minds and
> fine educations were planning a special event for next January. I asked if
> they'd checked The Old Farmer's Almanac for an estimate on the weather. One
> said " Is that what that's for?" Another asked me what a Green Beret was.
> Today I heard a young neighbor moan that if 4 was bigger than 3, how could
> 1/4 be smaller than 1/3. Everybody should get to have grandchildren;
> they'll keep your brain busy. Polly

i think i'd question the 'fine minds and fine educations' part. but the
apples don't fall far from the tree.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 15, 9:43*am, James Silverton >
wrote:
> On 9/15/2011 8:41 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>
> > On Sep 14, 7:11 pm, > *wrote:
> >> It's for my nephew's restaurant. *It's easy to find huge industrial sized ones, and I do small batches in my blender, but is there something in between?

> >>http://www.facebook.com/SWdinerSTL

> >> --Bryan

> > I use a coffee grinder.

> I grind most of my spices with a coffee grinder. It's a Cuisinart as of
> yesterday since my 25 year old Braun self destructed. I've never had the
> nerve to grind hot chillies since I thought dust would be a problem but
> maybe I'll have to try.

Dont! The guy who owns a local pizzaria tried it and had to evacuate
the shop for half an hour.

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 09:43:19 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

>On 9/15/2011 8:41 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>> On Sep 14, 7:11 pm, > wrote:
>>> It's for my nephew's restaurant. It's easy to find huge industrial sized ones, and I do small batches in my blender, but is there something in between?
>>>
>>> http://www.facebook.com/SWdinerSTL
>>>
>>> --Bryan

>> I use a coffee grinder.

>I grind most of my spices with a coffee grinder. It's a Cuisinart as of
>yesterday since my 25 year old Braun self destructed. I've never had the
>nerve to grind hot chillies since I thought dust would be a problem but
>maybe I'll have to try.

I'd strongly suggest not... and if you insist do it outdoors.
I don't see the point to making a large batch of powdered hot chili
peppers, once ground to a powder it deteriorates relatively rapidly.
Either buy it already ground from a supplier that has the proper spice
grinding equipment or use your dried pods to make crushed... for most
recipes crushed works well, and when you need some powdered have at
some crushed with a mortar and pestle. I pulverized a batch of very
hot peppers that I grew and dried, once was enough, never again. A
blender works but do it outdoors, and even after it settles, wear a
respirator. It's really not worth it... hot chili powder is pretty
cheap considering that very little goes a very long way. For a
restaurant it's dumber than a rock to pay the price of whole chiles
and then grind them... it's like buying expensive jumbo shrimp for
grinding when no one can tell them from ground small cheap shrimp, and
plenty of recipes just like that have been posted here

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 16:05:04 -0500, Bull >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 09:43:19 -0400, James Silverton
>> > wrote:

>> >I grind most of my spices with a coffee grinder. It's a Cuisinart as of
>> >yesterday since my 25 year old Braun self destructed. I've never had the
>> >nerve to grind hot chillies since I thought dust would be a problem but
>> >maybe I'll have to try.

>> I'd strongly suggest not... and if you insist do it outdoors.
>> I don't see the point to making a large batch of powdered hot chili
>> peppers, once ground to a powder it deteriorates relatively rapidly.
>> Either buy it already ground from a supplier that has the proper spice
>> grinding equipment or use your dried pods to make crushed... for most
>> recipes crushed works well, and when you need some powdered have at
>> some crushed with a mortar and pestle. I pulverized a batch of very
>> hot peppers that I grew and dried, once was enough, never again. A
>> blender works but do it outdoors, and even after it settles, wear a
>> respirator. It's really not worth it... hot chili powder is pretty
>> cheap considering that very little goes a very long way. For a
>> restaurant it's dumber than a rock to pay the price of whole chiles
>> and then grind them... it's like buying expensive jumbo shrimp for
>> grinding when no one can tell them from ground small cheap shrimp, and
>> plenty of recipes just like that have been posted here

>And if you are using chili powder quantities for restaurant recipes, you
>are going to have a lot of inconsistency in flavor and heat with
>self/hand ground. Better off finding a bulk supplier.

It's a crop... bulk supplier pepper is just as inconsistant.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 20:51:29 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
> wrote:

> I take it actual raw rice will work just fine?

I don't see why not!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.