Old 01-02-2013, 05:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Help with home water heater replacement

Sky wrote:
I want to ask "here" on RFC and, yeah-yeah, I can look at many other
resources - and NO, Consumers Report hasn't helped - I checked!

I'm of mind to very soon replace my rather old (natural gas) water
heater that's way over 17+ years old, and I know nearly nothing about
water heaters. I've done some initial research and don't a want 'hot
water on demand' heater (not really feasible for my usage - one
person, single home), nor a 'hybrid' electric/gas water heater either
(won't fit in space). But. I do want to buy a water heater that's
for a family of four or more, for 'sale' appeal (60+ gallons
plus????)
However, those criteria stated, I want to buy a new water (natural
gas) heater with house-resell value in mind.

Then there's the "energy star" aspect and tax incentives, etc. Not to
mention tax rebates.

Consumer Reports (CR) listed only four manufacturers (in no particular
order) - GE, Kenmore (isn't that Sears?), Rheem, and Whirlpool. Alas,
CR does not include any ratings comparisons - BUMMER !

So, please help ! If anyone has suggestions and such, I'd greatly
appreciate to learn them. Particularly if those suggestions are the
sort that say "BEWARE!" :/ TIA.

Sky

Ours is Bradford White. Had nothing but trouble with the new one. Still
not sure what the problem was on that. Had to call repair out twice.
Although it was still under warranty, I still had to pay the expensive
repair costs. In the end, they just replaced it.

As they took the old one out, I noticed how banged and dented it was,
especially on the back side. For that reason, I sat at the edge of the
garage and watched the guy put the new one in. No problems with that one.
Other one kept losing the pilot light. I was constantly having to relight
it. Sometimes as often as every 2 hours. No problems so far with the new
one.

I did have to pay about $2,000 for the new one but that included an auxilary
tank and retrofitting. Not sure if you'd need those things where you are.
It is an energy saver. I used to pay about $35 a month for my old tank.
With the new one it's usually around $17 to $25 a month. The higher amount
only when husband is home. He takes hella long showers.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
[...]

Forget the rest, this is the best:
http://www.bockwaterheaters.com/
http://www.bockwaterheaters.com/Prod...r_heaters.html
Old 03-02-2013, 12:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 2/1/2013 10:46 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Sky wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the links. Interesting and will keep this manufacturer in
mind. Currently - knock on wood - a new WH isn't needed just yet, but
watch Murphy's Law set in!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Old 03-02-2013, 05:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 18:10:28 -0600, Sky
wrote:

Currently - knock on wood - a new WH isn't needed just yet, but
watch Murphy's Law set in!

It always seems to happen on a national holiday or when you have
guests for an occasion of some sort (spending the night or having a
party). Glad to see you're thinking ahead.