Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Can't find dried chickpeas anywhere. I wanted to++

try Pandora's falafel recipe, but so far, no dice. Is there maybe a brand name in the US I could seek for these?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> try Pandora's falafel recipe, but so far, no dice. Is there maybe a brand
> name in the US I could seek for these?

look in an Indian or Pakistani store. Or maybe a Middle Eastern store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jan 16, 12:18*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> try Pandora's falafel recipe, but so far, no dice. *Is there maybe a brand name in the US I could seek for these?

Not even in the dry beans section of the grocery store?
Did you look for garbanzo beans?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 12:18:02 PM UTC-8, Kalmia wrote:
> try Pandora's falafel recipe, but so far, no dice. Is there maybe a brand name in the US I could seek for these?

They are often called garbanzo beans when canned. Shelved with all the other beans. Drain and rinse before using for falafel. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2013 3:18 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> try Pandora's falafel recipe, but so far, no dice. Is there maybe a brand name in the US I could seek for these?

Goya; Bob's Red Mill; Eden Organic; Arrowhead Mills; and I've seen them
in Indian markets.
They're sold under a number of names - garbanzo, ceci, chana, sanagalu,
Gonzo Bean and Bengal gram.

If you can't find them locally, try Amazon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16/01/2013 3:18 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> try Pandora's falafel recipe, but so far, no dice. Is there maybe a
> brand name in the US I could seek for these?

Seriously? Canned chickpeas are readily available in all grocery stores
around here... in the canned foods section, next to kidney beans and
black beans. Most stores have several different brands;Goya, Primo,
Unico. Dried chick peas are usually in the same section as other dried
legumes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2013 3:54 PM, aem wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 12:18:02 PM UTC-8, Kalmia wrote:
>> try Pandora's falafel recipe, but so far, no dice. Is there maybe a brand name in the US I could seek for these?

> They are often called garbanzo beans when canned. Shelved with all the other beans. Drain and rinse before using for falafel. -aem

The OP is looking for dried, not canned, for Ranee's (posted by Pandora)
recipe. Should be in with all the other bags of dried beans.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 12:18:02 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

> try Pandora's falafel recipe, but so far, no dice. Is there maybe a brand name in the US I could seek for these?

If you have a grocery store with bulk bins, you'll find them there.
Don't bother with Safeway or Whole Foods, you'll want a smaller
operation. The grocery I know I can buy them at is independent. If
you have a large E. Indian community, you will probably find cried
chick peas at the green grocer's they shop at (all the ones I frequent
have bulk bins that include several types of beans).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-01-16, jmcquown > wrote:

> The OP is looking for dried, not canned, for Ranee's (posted by Pandora)
> recipe. Should be in with all the other bags of dried beans.

I rarely see them in the sprmkt with other beans. OTOH, I rarely do
not see them at yer local health food store. Any health food store
with bulk bins carries them. They're almost a required food for the
vegan crowd. Add other weirdo groups like hippies, hari-krishnas,
communal crazies, eastern religious types, and other assorted fringe
food freaks and yer bound to find dried chick peas (garbonzos). We
must have five health food stores in a combined 2-town population of
less than 10K. I think one store doesn't carry chick peas.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> try Pandora's falafel recipe, but so far, no dice. Is there maybe a brand
> name in the US I could seek for these?

Have you tried Whole Foods? Not gonna swear that they do have them but they
have a wide variety of dried beans. I have some. Can't remember where I
bought them. I have seen them online though. Just got some roasted ones
online at Nuts.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 1/16/2013 3:18 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>> try Pandora's falafel recipe, but so far, no dice. Is there maybe a
>> brand name in the US I could seek for these?
>>

> Goya; Bob's Red Mill; Eden Organic; Arrowhead Mills; and I've seen them in
> Indian markets.
> They're sold under a number of names - garbanzo, ceci, chana, sanagalu,
> Gonzo Bean and Bengal gram.
>
> If you can't find them locally, try Amazon.

Oh yes! I got the BEST dark red kidney beans from them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 16/01/2013 3:18 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>> try Pandora's falafel recipe, but so far, no dice. Is there maybe a
>> brand name in the US I could seek for these?
>>

> Seriously? Canned chickpeas are readily available in all grocery stores
> around here... in the canned foods section, next to kidney beans and black
> beans. Most stores have several different brands;Goya, Primo, Unico. Dried
> chick peas are usually in the same section as other dried legumes.

Dried *are* harder to find here. I had to look at several stores. Can't
remember where I found mine though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 12:18:02 -0800, Kalmia wrote:

> try Pandora's falafel recipe, but so far, no dice. Is there maybe a
> brand name in the US I could seek for these?

It seems like I have seen Goya brand dried chickpeas. Look for Goya in
the Hispanic / international section of the grocery store, not the bean
aisle.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2013 6:58 PM, Tara wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 12:18:02 -0800, Kalmia wrote:
>
>> try Pandora's falafel recipe, but so far, no dice. Is there maybe a
>> brand name in the US I could seek for these?

> It seems like I have seen Goya brand dried chickpeas. Look for Goya in
> the Hispanic / international section of the grocery store, not the bean
> aisle.
>
> Tara

That's a good tip. I can picture grocery stores placing things based on
perceived ethnic preferences. I'd bet you can find dried (and canned)
garbanzo beans (and black beans) in the Hispanic section next to the
canned pozole and menudo. Also next to the Taco Bell "dinner kits".
But you shouldn't have to hunt to find dried beans.

The smart thing would be to put them in both places. "International"
(heh) foods or in the "regular" section where they have all the other
dried beans. IMHO, this is usually also near the bags of rice and dried
lentils.

Jill