Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lost pasta brand sparks Test Kitchen pot-boiler to find best dried

http://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-ca...425-story.html

I thought that this was very interesting; I have always wondered why
anyone would buy a premium pasta, as the cheap stuff tastes good to me.
I never occurred to me that the surface texture would make such a
difference. I am going to give the Barilla a try soon to see if it is
really a noticeable difference.

Lost pasta brand sparks Test Kitchen pot-boiler to find best dried
By Russ Parsons

For a busy weekday cook, having a good dried spaghetti in the pantry is
about 90% of having dinner made. Dress it with butter and Parmigiano
Reggiano, or chopped fresh tomatoes and olive oil, and you have a
memorable meal with little more than the time and effort it took to boil
water.

When my go-to daily spaghetti brand disappeared from store shelves, I
was bereft, robbed of the foundation for a dozen easy meals.
Fortunately, the L.A. Times Test Kitchen was there to help. I bought 10
supermarket brands of spaghetti, all of them priced less than $4 a
pound, and then we cooked them.

In the end, I found my replacement pasta, but there were some
significant surprises along the way, including a gluten-free that was
nearly as good as our favorites.

First, let's specify that what we're talking about is dried spaghetti
noodles made from wheat, water and not much else (some brands both
domestic and Italian add vitamins and minerals for the American market).
Egg pastas that have been dried are not the same thing.

But even with such a simple ingredient, there is good and not-so-good.
The difference is not what you might expect: The actual flavor of the
noodles we tasted varied little. Tasting naked spaghetti is like
differentiating among various degrees of beige.

When the differences really showed up was after we dressed the noodles
with a little inexpensive bottled sauce. Because the most important
thing about a pasta is how it carries flavor, and that can vary
dramatically. Stirred with the same jarred sauce, some spaghetti tasted
simple and bland while others tasted almost like something we'd make at
home.

When we went back over the spaghetti brands we liked best, the thing we
found in common was a rough, almost pitted texture on the uncooked
noodles. This is what carries the sauce and allows you to get the full
effect of it rather than just whatever liquid managed to cling to the
noodle.

Which spaghetti did we like best? The Garofalo sold at Costco and
Amazon.com ($3.81 per pound), Whole Foods' store-brand 365 "organic"
($1.49) and supermarket staple Barilla ($1.49).

That gluten-free? It was also from Barilla ($3.29). It had terrific bite
and only a little of the mealy texture you might expect from a dried
noodle made without the benefit of gluten from hard wheat. The package
reads, "Made with corn and rice."

One thing we found curious was the difference between two seemingly
similar noodles, one we bought at Trader Joe's labeled Lucio Garofalo
(99 cents) and the more expensive Costco brand that we liked, labeled
simply Garofalo.

When you read the fine print, they both had the same simple ingredients
(semolina and durum wheat), but more significantly they both gave the
same address for the manufacturer (indeed, the Garofalo website lists
the full name as Pastificio Lucio Garofalo).

But while the Trader Joe's brand wasn't bad, it certainly wasn't as good
as the other Garofalo. And when we inspected the raw noodles, we could
see why: The Trader Joe's version was nearly smooth, while the
Costco/Amazon version was the most pitted of any of the pastas we tested.

We've done these tastings a couple of times over the years with a mix of
high-end and everyday brands. The Latini brand had won both. It was
certainly a terrific pasta, but it seems to have disappeared (one
importer says the brand was sold and is no longer making pasta at all).
Rustichella d'Abruzzo did well both times too, but with it costing as
much as $8 per pound, it may be a bit pricey for everyday use.

After all, there's no need to break the bank for what should be the
daily luxury of a simple, well-prepared plate of pasta.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Travis McGee" > wrote in message
> http://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-ca...425-story.html
>
> I thought that this was very interesting; I have always wondered why
> anyone would buy a premium pasta, as the cheap stuff tastes good to me. I
> never occurred to me that the surface texture would make such a
> difference. I am going to give the Barilla a try soon to see if it is
> really a noticeable difference.

I do notice a difference. To me, Barilla is not one of the better ones.
This is one of my favorites, especially the whole wheat.

http://www.dececcousa.com/Pasta/

The day that my dad had to go into the ER and then after that into assisted
living, I bought some of that brand of pasta and had Angela make him some
spaghetti red. We were having trouble getting him to eat. I now know why.
He was likely having more difficulty than we realized. But I got him all
excited at the prospect of her cooking for him. Now spaghetti red is
something that we ate tons of when I was growing up! And my mom was very
much into name brands so she would never have bought anything that was a
store brand or that she considered to be generic. But she did buy cheap
pasta. I also never thought of my dad being able to tell the difference
between cheap food and better quality food because he sure couldn't when it
came to chocolate or the stuff that boasts of the name "chocolate", like
Palmer's. But he sure noticed a difference with this pasta! In fact he
noticed so much of a difference that he asked to see the package to see what
kind it was.

If you have a Big Lots near you, check out their pasta. I've gotten the
Bella Terra brand there and that's good too. Dellalo is good too. Hodgson
Mills is not so good. It is cheap. And I have bought it and used it. I
find that it is better to use in something like a casserole where you have a
lot of other flavors and textures going on. Or to throw a handful or two in
a soup. But if pasta is going to be the star of the meal, I want the good
stuff!

> Lost pasta brand sparks Test Kitchen pot-boiler to find best dried
> By Russ Parsons
>
> For a busy weekday cook, having a good dried spaghetti in the pantry is
> about 90% of having dinner made. Dress it with butter and Parmigiano
> Reggiano, or chopped fresh tomatoes and olive oil, and you have a
> memorable meal with little more than the time and effort it took to boil
> water.

I used to do that all the time but I added parsley, oregano and black
pepper. I can no longer eat dairy so I will sometimes have a plate of
really good pasta with red sauce seasoned only with herbs.

> When my go-to daily spaghetti brand disappeared from store shelves, I was
> bereft, robbed of the foundation for a dozen easy meals. Fortunately, the
> L.A. Times Test Kitchen was there to help. I bought 10 supermarket brands
> of spaghetti, all of them priced less than $4 a pound, and then we cooked
> them.
>
> In the end, I found my replacement pasta, but there were some significant
> surprises along the way, including a gluten-free that was nearly as good
> as our favorites.

I had a hard time at first adjusting to gluten free pasta until I discovered
which brands were the best. Jovial is a really good one. And I got
something imported from Italy that was $8.99 for 4 servings. We had that
maybe once or twice a year. Then when we no longer needed the gluten free,
I had a hard time adjusting back to the regular stuff again. Pasta had
changed so much in those 7 or 8 years.

> First, let's specify that what we're talking about is dried spaghetti
> noodles made from wheat, water and not much else (some brands both
> domestic and Italian add vitamins and minerals for the American market).
> Egg pastas that have been dried are not the same thing.
>
> But even with such a simple ingredient, there is good and not-so-good. The
> difference is not what you might expect: The actual flavor of the noodles
> we tasted varied little. Tasting naked spaghetti is like differentiating
> among various degrees of beige.

Yes. The texture can be different. But you also have to be very careful
how you cook it and not overcook it.

> When the differences really showed up was after we dressed the noodles
> with a little inexpensive bottled sauce. Because the most important thing
> about a pasta is how it carries flavor, and that can vary dramatically.
> Stirred with the same jarred sauce, some spaghetti tasted simple and bland
> while others tasted almost like something we'd make at home.
>
> When we went back over the spaghetti brands we liked best, the thing we
> found in common was a rough, almost pitted texture on the uncooked
> noodles. This is what carries the sauce and allows you to get the full
> effect of it rather than just whatever liquid managed to cling to the
> noodle.
>
> Which spaghetti did we like best? The Garofalo sold at Costco and
> Amazon.com ($3.81 per pound), Whole Foods' store-brand 365 "organic"
> ($1.49) and supermarket staple Barilla ($1.49).

Oh yes! That's another good one. I bought the whole wheat. Alas, I am the
only one in this house who prefers the whole wheat. I will see if they have
the regular.

> That gluten-free? It was also from Barilla ($3.29). It had terrific bite
> and only a little of the mealy texture you might expect from a dried
> noodle made without the benefit of gluten from hard wheat. The package
> reads, "Made with corn and rice."
>
> One thing we found curious was the difference between two seemingly
> similar noodles, one we bought at Trader Joe's labeled Lucio Garofalo (99
> cents) and the more expensive Costco brand that we liked, labeled simply
> Garofalo.
>
> When you read the fine print, they both had the same simple ingredients
> (semolina and durum wheat), but more significantly they both gave the same
> address for the manufacturer (indeed, the Garofalo website lists the full
> name as Pastificio Lucio Garofalo).
>
> But while the Trader Joe's brand wasn't bad, it certainly wasn't as good
> as the other Garofalo. And when we inspected the raw noodles, we could see
> why: The Trader Joe's version was nearly smooth, while the Costco/Amazon
> version was the most pitted of any of the pastas we tested.
>
> We've done these tastings a couple of times over the years with a mix of
> high-end and everyday brands. The Latini brand had won both. It was
> certainly a terrific pasta, but it seems to have disappeared (one importer
> says the brand was sold and is no longer making pasta at all). Rustichella
> d'Abruzzo did well both times too, but with it costing as much as $8 per
> pound, it may be a bit pricey for everyday use.
>
> After all, there's no need to break the bank for what should be the daily
> luxury of a simple, well-prepared plate of pasta.

The big complaint with the Hodgson Mills is that it can have a grainy
texture. It was the brand I stocked up on when we first switched over to
whole wheat because I could get it at Winco for cheap. But I did notice a
difference in texture.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 00:12:33 -0400, Travis McGee >
wrote:

> http://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-ca...425-story.html
>
> I thought that this was very interesting; I have always wondered why
> anyone would buy a premium pasta, as the cheap stuff tastes good to me.
> I never occurred to me that the surface texture would make such a
> difference. I am going to give the Barilla a try soon to see if it is
> really a noticeable difference.

No idea why you bother with anything other than Barilla when it's only
about $1 a box.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I use Barilla whole grain to make spaghetti, it tastes fine and is healthier.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 5:38:24 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 00:12:33 -0400, Travis McGee >
> wrote:
>
> > http://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-ca...425-story.html
> >
> > I thought that this was very interesting; I have always wondered why
> > anyone would buy a premium pasta, as the cheap stuff tastes good to me.
> > I never occurred to me that the surface texture would make such a
> > difference. I am going to give the Barilla a try soon to see if it is
> > really a noticeable difference.

> No idea why you bother with anything other than Barilla when it's only
> about $1 a box.

The difference between Essential Everyday pasta and Barilla pasta is how
many angels can dance on the end of a strand of each. Oh, that and the
price. Buying pasta by brand name seems asinine.

> sf

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 07:26:38 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

>On Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 5:38:24 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 00:12:33 -0400, Travis McGee >
>> wrote:
>>
>> > http://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-ca...425-story.html
>> >
>> > I thought that this was very interesting; I have always wondered why
>> > anyone would buy a premium pasta, as the cheap stuff tastes good to me.
>> > I never occurred to me that the surface texture would make such a
>> > difference. I am going to give the Barilla a try soon to see if it is
>> > really a noticeable difference.

>> No idea why you bother with anything other than Barilla when it's only
>> about $1 a box.
>>

>The difference between Essential Everyday pasta and Barilla pasta is how
>many angels can dance on the end of a strand of each. Oh, that and the
>price. Buying pasta by brand name seems asinine.
>>
>> sf

>--Bryan

I think Bryan is correct on this. My first thought was "it's just
pasta, people!" Yeah I'm sure there's better and worse, but...

I was warming up my first cuppa and conversing with my housemate Tariq
this morning as he was making his breakfast. He's a Muslim and a
doctor, and we were trying to examine more precisely and come to a
better understanding of The Big Question. You know, God/Allah/atheism,
Life, The Universe and Everything?

It's just ****ing PASTA people!! Maybe we should consult a
Pastafarian!!

Namaste!

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 06:53:04 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>I use Barilla whole grain to make spaghetti, it tastes fine and is healthier.

I use the same, only Linguini.

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I use Barilla whole grain rotini, if I could get it in elbow mac I'd use it to make mac and cheese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2015 6:38 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 00:12:33 -0400, Travis McGee >
> wrote:
>
>> http://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-ca...425-story.html
>>
>> I thought that this was very interesting; I have always wondered why
>> anyone would buy a premium pasta, as the cheap stuff tastes good to me.
>> I never occurred to me that the surface texture would make such a
>> difference. I am going to give the Barilla a try soon to see if it is
>> really a noticeable difference.

> No idea why you bother with anything other than Barilla when it's only
> about $1 a box.

I don't like it, that's my excuse.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2015 12:22 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 4/25/2015 6:38 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 00:12:33 -0400, Travis McGee >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-ca...425-story.html
>>>
>>> I thought that this was very interesting; I have always wondered why
>>> anyone would buy a premium pasta, as the cheap stuff tastes good to me.
>>> I never occurred to me that the surface texture would make such a
>>> difference. I am going to give the Barilla a try soon to see if it is
>>> really a noticeable difference.

>> No idea why you bother with anything other than Barilla when it's only
>> about $1 a box.

> I don't like it, that's my excuse.
>
> nancy

Di'Cecco?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I don't like pasta sauce in cans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

They'd sell far more Hunts sauce if they put it in jars.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-25 5:00 PM, wrote:
> I don't like pasta sauce in cans.

Who does? I don't like pasta sauce in jars. I used to buy them. Now
I buy jars of passada and make my own pasta sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I make my own parmesan from sheep milk, jk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2015 3:00 PM, wrote:
> I don't like pasta sauce in cans.

Me neither.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Most that make their own pasta sauce use canned tomatoes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 16:13:57 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>Most that make their own pasta sauce use canned tomatoes.

Very true, takes all day, all night, and part of the next to make
sauce from fresh tomatoes at home, even those who grow their own may
try once or twice but it's not worth it, with all the cooking to
reduce the sauce caramelizes. Commercial sauce producers have very
expensive equipment, they use vacuum processing to remove the water
without heating the tomatoes more than about 140ºF, the same type of
process used to make frozen OJ concentrate. Most folks that make
their own sauce use canned, but truth be known most use jarred because
it hardly pays to make sauce from canned in the small quantities most
folks talk about. Now that warm weather has arrived I don't prepare
much pasta with tomato sauce, in warm weather I'm more into cold pasta
salads. Last fall I prepared 16 quarts of pasta sauce from canned,
almost all gone now. Decent sauce can't be made from tasteless stupid
market tomatos adn it's too pricey to use purchased home growns from
farm stands even for a cruda sauce.. I sometimes prepare a cruda pasta
sauce from my home grown Romas but mostly I prefer to eat them as
salsa... sometimes I have so many Romas I'll eat two quarts of salsa
for brunch.... I like to add diced peppers, cukes, and curly parsley,
I add onions and garlic too (neighbor grows those, we swap). I grow
hot peppers but I don't like very hot so I may add a smidge. Diced
pickling cukes are very good in salsa cruda. Excellent brunch:
http://i57.tinypic.com/2urw12h.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> They'd sell far more Hunts sauce if they put it in jars.

I'm sure they sell tons! It is the cheapest sauce you can buy and I know a
lot of people who use it. I used to use it until they changed some
ingredient in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 14:22:24 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> On 4/25/2015 6:38 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 00:12:33 -0400, Travis McGee >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-ca...425-story.html
> >>
> >> I thought that this was very interesting; I have always wondered why
> >> anyone would buy a premium pasta, as the cheap stuff tastes good to me.
> >> I never occurred to me that the surface texture would make such a
> >> difference. I am going to give the Barilla a try soon to see if it is
> >> really a noticeable difference.

> > No idea why you bother with anything other than Barilla when it's only
> > about $1 a box.

> I don't like it, that's my excuse.

Hm. Interesting. I don't think I could tell the difference if you
put two pieces of perfectly cooked pasta in front of me on a plain
white plate. I like barilla's shapes. My current favorite is
Cellentani, but I like their mini-pasta too. I prefer Mini Penne, no
reason. Just because.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 16:31:35 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

> On 4/25/2015 3:00 PM, wrote:
> > I don't like pasta sauce in cans.
> >

> Me neither.

Try Trader Joe's Tuscano
http://designassets.traderjoes.com/U...o-marinara.jpg

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 4:38:24 AM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 00:12:33 -0400, Travis McGee >
> wrote:
>
> > http://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-ca...425-story.html
> >
> > I thought that this was very interesting; I have always wondered why
> > anyone would buy a premium pasta, as the cheap stuff tastes good to me.
> > I never occurred to me that the surface texture would make such a
> > difference. I am going to give the Barilla a try soon to see if it is
> > really a noticeable difference.

> No idea why you bother with anything other than Barilla when it's only
> about $1 a box.
>
> --
>
> sf

I liked Barilla until the president of the company made anti *** remarks. I have boycotted Barrilla every since.

DaleP
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 09:52:32 -0700 (PDT), dalep
> wrote:

>On Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 4:38:24 AM UTC-6, sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 00:12:33 -0400, Travis McGee >
>> wrote:
>>
>> > http://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-ca...425-story.html
>> >
>> > I thought that this was very interesting; I have always wondered why
>> > anyone would buy a premium pasta, as the cheap stuff tastes good to me.
>> > I never occurred to me that the surface texture would make such a
>> > difference. I am going to give the Barilla a try soon to see if it is
>> > really a noticeable difference.

>> No idea why you bother with anything other than Barilla when it's only
>> about $1 a box.
>>
>> --
>>
>> sf

>I liked Barilla until the president of the company made anti *** remarks. I have boycotted Barrilla every since.
>
>DaleP

Amen.

Damned shame he is such a bigot...I liked their pasta.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Is all Barilla pasta made in Italy?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 09:52:32 -0700 (PDT), dalep
> wrote:

> On Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 4:38:24 AM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 00:12:33 -0400, Travis McGee >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > http://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-ca...425-story.html
> > >
> > > I thought that this was very interesting; I have always wondered why
> > > anyone would buy a premium pasta, as the cheap stuff tastes good to me.
> > > I never occurred to me that the surface texture would make such a
> > > difference. I am going to give the Barilla a try soon to see if it is
> > > really a noticeable difference.

> > No idea why you bother with anything other than Barilla when it's only
> > about $1 a box.
> >
> > --
> >
> > sf

> I liked Barilla until the president of the company made anti *** remarks. I have boycotted Barrilla every since.

Good for you. Did you need to switch grocery stores just to find a
different brand you like?

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26/04/2015 1:52 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 09:52:32 -0700 (PDT), dalep
> > wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 4:38:24 AM UTC-6, sf wrote:

>>> No idea why you bother with anything other than Barilla when it's only
>>> about $1 a box.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> sf

>> I liked Barilla until the president of the company made anti *** remarks. I have boycotted Barrilla every since.
>>

> Good for you. Did you need to switch grocery stores just to find a
> different brand you like?

A similar thing happened with this Italian winemaker:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3914296.html

Graham

--
"It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion
will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/26/2015 1:52 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 09:52:32 -0700 (PDT), dalep
> > wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 4:38:24 AM UTC-6, sf wrote:

>>> No idea why you bother with anything other than Barilla when it's only
>>> about $1 a box.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> sf

>> I liked Barilla until the president of the company made anti *** remarks. I have boycotted Barrilla every since.
>>

> Good for you. Did you need to switch grocery stores just to find a
> different brand you like?

I really enjoy DiCecco (outstanding orichetti), but I buy for price and
sale so my choices vary.

That said, I gave up on American Beauty years ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-26 12:52 PM, dalep wrote:

>> No idea why you bother with anything other than Barilla when it's
>> only about $1 a box.
>>
>> --
>>
>> sf

> I liked Barilla until the president of the company made anti ***
> remarks. I have boycotted Barrilla every since.

You liked it but then you didn't like it because of the company
president's comments? Why would you care about his attitude about gays,
politics or religion? The guy is Italian. He is Catholic. He has
traditional values. It is not like he was outspoken about it. It was
not like he launched a campaign against homosexuals. He was being
pressured to show some sort of *** family in the product's advertising
and he made comments that I think are quite typical of Italian Catholics.

I don't know what his personal views of *** issues has to do with the
taste of his product. He was being interviewed about things that had
nothing to do with his product. He did say he was in favour of ***
marriage, though he opposed adoption by *** couples. I have to admit
that I do not think there should be a right for *** couples to adopt.
The way I see it is that there is a biological process for reproducing
and it requires a male and a female. So if you want to have children
you need to find a fertile spouse of the opposite sex.

If you start farming children out to *** partners there is a serious
risk of allegations of sexual abuse..... and I repeat.... allegations.
Let's be frank. Adoptions often involve kids who have been emotionally
damaged, and damaged kids are notorious for making allegations of
molestation. Such allegations with set governments and adoption
agencies for huge law suits... even if there is no basis to the claims.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/26/2015 3:11 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2015-04-26 12:52 PM, dalep wrote:
>
>>> No idea why you bother with anything other than Barilla when it's
>>> only about $1 a box.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> sf

>> I liked Barilla until the president of the company made anti ***
>> remarks. I have boycotted Barrilla every since.
>>

> You liked it but then you didn't like it because of the company
> president's comments? Why would you care about his attitude about gays,
> politics or religion? The guy is Italian. He is Catholic. He has
> traditional values. It is not like he was outspoken about it. It was
> not like he launched a campaign against homosexuals. He was being
> pressured to show some sort of *** family in the product's advertising
> and he made comments that I think are quite typical of Italian Catholics.

This is all true.

> I don't know what his personal views of *** issues has to do with the
> taste of his product. He was being interviewed about things that had
> nothing to do with his product. He did say he was in favour of ***
> marriage, though he opposed adoption by *** couples. I have to admit
> that I do not think there should be a right for *** couples to adopt.
> The way I see it is that there is a biological process for reproducing
> and it requires a male and a female. So if you want to have children
> you need to find a fertile spouse of the opposite sex.

That'll never wash in our brave new test tube world you know...

> If you start farming children out to *** partners there is a serious
> risk of allegations of sexual abuse..... and I repeat.... allegations.
> Let's be frank. Adoptions often involve kids who have been emotionally
> damaged, and damaged kids are notorious for making allegations of
> molestation. Such allegations with set governments and adoption
> agencies for huge law suits... even if there is no basis to the claims.

I hadn't considered that angle, but it seems logical.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 07:20:22 +1000, Bruce > wrote:

>Nostalgia. Reading this sends me 35 years back in time. But you're
>still ahead of Australia. They don't even have *** marriage yet.

There's that 'they' again. Why do you even live in Australia when you
have this 'us and them attitude'? Are you even a legal resident?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/26/2015 3:20 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 17:11:10 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> I liked Barilla until the president of the company made anti ***
>>> remarks. I have boycotted Barrilla every since.
>>>

>> You liked it but then you didn't like it because of the company
>> president's comments? Why would you care about his attitude about gays,
>> politics or religion? The guy is Italian. He is Catholic. He has
>> traditional values. It is not like he was outspoken about it. It was
>> not like he launched a campaign against homosexuals. He was being
>> pressured to show some sort of *** family in the product's advertising
>> and he made comments that I think are quite typical of Italian Catholics.
>>
>> I don't know what his personal views of *** issues has to do with the
>> taste of his product. He was being interviewed about things that had
>> nothing to do with his product. He did say he was in favour of ***
>> marriage, though he opposed adoption by *** couples. I have to admit
>> that I do not think there should be a right for *** couples to adopt.
>> The way I see it is that there is a biological process for reproducing
>> and it requires a male and a female. So if you want to have children
>> you need to find a fertile spouse of the opposite sex.
>>
>> If you start farming children out to *** partners there is a serious
>> risk of allegations of sexual abuse..... and I repeat.... allegations.
>> Let's be frank. Adoptions often involve kids who have been emotionally
>> damaged, and damaged kids are notorious for making allegations of
>> molestation. Such allegations with set governments and adoption
>> agencies for huge law suits... even if there is no basis to the claims.

> Nostalgia. Reading this sends me 35 years back in time.

How so?

His observations are logical and free of bias.

> But you're still ahead of Australia. They don't even have *** marriage yet.

*** marriage is fine...as long as...plural marriage is legalized too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/26/2015 3:55 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 15:32:51 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:
>
>> On 4/26/2015 3:20 PM, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 17:11:10 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> Nostalgia. Reading this sends me 35 years back in time.

>> How so?
>>
>> His observations are logical and free of bias.
>>
>>> But you're still ahead of Australia. They don't even have *** marriage yet.

>> *** marriage is fine...as long as...plural marriage is legalized too.

> This kind of thinking went out of fashion in the Netherlands in the
> 70s or so.

Really?

> Equal rights and all that.

Even for plural marriage?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_status_of_polygamy

Netherlands: Marriage between more than two individuals prohibited;
however, a samenlevingscontract may include more than two partners.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/ne...s-dutch-newspa

Two Dutch cities have instructed their marriage registrars to recognize
polygamous marriages of immigrants that have taken place in countries
where having more than one wife is permitted, such as Morocco.

Although polygamy is technically banned in the Netherlands, the
marriages of Muslims who have several wives are now recognized by Dutch
authorities in the cities of Rotterdam and Amsterdam, reports the Dutch
newspaper NRC Handelsblad.

Until now, registrars in the major cities had been recording the
irregular marriages of immigrants, but the Central Bureau for Statistics
(CBS), where all marriages are registered nationally, has been removing
these bigamous or polygamous marriages from its files, on the assumption
that administrative errors had occurred, reports NIS News.

The city councils of Amsterdam and Rotterdam have informed the CBS that
the marriage records are not a mistake.

CBS researcher Jan Latten told NRC Handelsblad that the CBS would study
whether or not to recognize the bigamous and polygamous marriages. "We
will now investigate whether this can be regarded as a trend that was
previously not recognised. If this is the case, it is our task to report
this."

Sounds like waffling to me ;-)

> 2 good *** parents is better
> than an abusive straight parent. Etc. etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobson%27s_choice

A Hobson's choice is a free choice in which only one option is offered.
As a person may refuse to take that option, the choice is therefore
between taking the option or not; "take it or leave it". The phrase is
said to originate with Thomas Hobson (1544–1631), a livery stable owner
in Cambridge, England. To rotate the use of his horses, he offered
customers the choice of either taking the horse in the stall nearest the
door or taking none at all.

> Everybody will get there at
> their own speed.

As long as the ring through their noses is similarly tugged upon...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 07:53:00 +1000, Bruce > wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 07:30:06 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 07:20:22 +1000, Bruce > wrote:
>>
>>>Nostalgia. Reading this sends me 35 years back in time. But you're
>>>still ahead of Australia. They don't even have *** marriage yet.

>>There's that 'they' again. Why do you even live in Australia when you
>>have this 'us and them attitude'? Are you even a legal resident?

>Oh, sorry, "we don't even have *** marriage yet". I'm more than a
>resident

No worries, just pointing it out