Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Store brands

Anyone have store brands that they buy that are as good as, or better than pricier national brands? Essential Everyday hot breakfast sausage, available at SuperValu stores is one.
http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...ausage-i295222
The folks who gave it an F can get prison F'd with a broomstick handle.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 9, 7:08*am, Bryan > wrote:
> Anyone have store brands that they buy that are as good as, or better than pricier national brands? *Essential Everyday hot breakfast sausage, available at SuperValu stores is one.http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...ay-pork-sausag...
> The folks who gave it an F can get prison F'd with a broomstick handle.

Try to find the Establishment Number on the package, and see from the
USDA's list if it is a private labelling of a national brand. Between
the USDA and where is my milk from. com, I've been able to find a lot
about the origins of private label meat, poultry, and dairy products.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2013 10:08 AM, Bryan wrote:
> Anyone have store brands that they buy that are as good as, or better than pricier national brands?
> --Bryan

Of course! I doubt you have the same stores I do. I like Publix brand
whole wheat bread. It costs less than whatever name brands they have
and tastes better, too. Ditto things like breakfast cereal. Canned
beans. Even blocks of cheese if it's just basic cheese like sharp
cheddar or swiss. No difference except for a better price.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/01/2013 10:08 AM, Bryan wrote:
> Anyone have store brands that they buy that are as good as, or better than pricier national brands? Essential Everyday hot breakfast sausage, available at SuperValu stores is one.
> http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...ausage-i295222
> The folks who gave it an F can get prison F'd with a broomstick handle.
>
> --Bryan

Predident's Choice, sold by Loblaws, Zehrs and No Frills.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 9, 7:55*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 09/01/2013 10:08 AM, Bryan wrote:
>
> > Anyone have store brands that they buy that are as good as, or better than pricier national brands? *Essential Everyday hot breakfast sausage, available at SuperValu stores is one.
> >http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...ay-pork-sausag...
> > The folks who gave it an F can get prison F'd with a broomstick handle.

> Predident's Choice, sold by Loblaws, Zehrs and No Frills.

Jewel Food Stores in Chicago carried President's Choice products for
years, until they got bought out by Albertson's IIRC.

The funny thing was their long term competitor National Foods (RIP)
had been owned by Loblaw's. National carried no Loblaw's private
labeled products IIRC. Their signage towards the end featured an "n"
that was a rotation of the "l" that Loblaw's used.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2013 10:37:41 AM UTC-6, spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Jan 9, 7:55*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
> > On 09/01/2013 10:08 AM, Bryan wrote:

> > > Anyone have store brands that they buy that are as good as, or better than pricier national brands? *Essential Everyday hot breakfast sausage, available at SuperValu stores is one.

> > >http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...ay-pork-sausag....

> > > The folks who gave it an F can get prison F'd with a broomstick handle.

> > Predident's Choice, sold by Loblaws, Zehrs and No Frills.

> Jewel Food Stores in Chicago carried President's Choice products for
>
> years, until they got bought out by Albertson's IIRC.
>

> The funny thing was their long term competitor National Foods (RIP)
>
> had been owned by Loblaw's. National carried no Loblaw's private
>
> labeled products IIRC. Their signage towards the end featured an "n"
>
> that was a rotation of the "l" that Loblaw's used.

Jewel carries Java Delight coffee and the breakfast sausage I mentioned above.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 9, 7:55*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 09/01/2013 10:08 AM, Bryan wrote:
>
> > Anyone have store brands that they buy that are as good as, or better than pricier national brands? *Essential Everyday hot breakfast sausage, available at SuperValu stores is one.
> >http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...ay-pork-sausag...
> > The folks who gave it an F can get prison F'd with a broomstick handle.

> > --Bryan

> Predident's Choice, sold by Loblaws, Zehrs and No Frills.

Bob Loblaws?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2013 1:23 PM, merryb wrote:
> On Jan 9, 7:55 am, Dave > wrote:
>> On 09/01/2013 10:08 AM, Bryan wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone have store brands that they buy that are as good as, or better than pricier national brands? Essential Everyday hot breakfast sausage, available at SuperValu stores is one.
>>> http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...ay-pork-sausag...
>>> The folks who gave it an F can get prison F'd with a broomstick handle.

>>> --Bryan

>> Predident's Choice, sold by Loblaws, Zehrs and No Frills.

> Bob Loblaws?

Was thinking the same thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

> Essential Everyday hot breakfast sausage
> http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...ausage-i295222
> The folks who gave it an F can get prison F'd with a broomstick handle.

What point are you getting at? That you like the generic one as well as the
national brand, or that you disagree with the site's "nutritional rating"?

For comparison, here's the breakdown on Bob Evans:

Bob Evans Original Roll Sausage
Serving Size 2 oz pan fried
Calories: 180
Total Fat 15g
Saturated Fat 6g
Cholesterol 30mg
Sodium 460mg
Total Carbs 0g
Dietary Fiber 0g
Protein 15g

And here's your fave:

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 2 oz (57.0 g)
Calories 200
Calories from Fat 144
Total Fat 16.0g
Saturated Fat 6.0g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 50mg
Sodium 460mg
Total Carbohydrates 1.0g
Protein 10.0g

Not much difference. If yours gets an F, then Bob's gets an F as well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

> Anyone have store brands that they buy that are as good as, or better
> than pricier national brands?

Most packaged items in store brands are every bit as good as the name
brands. There are a few exceptions.

> Essential Everyday hot breakfast sausage, available at SuperValu stores
> is one.

I have not tried that particular store brand. I have observed that
breakfast sausage is more sensative to brand than most other processes.
I think it's the spice blend used. I've found store brands to be more
bland and thus not as good. if I want unflavored pork sausage I'll by
ground pork. I figure wanted the more highly spiced brands qualifies me
as picky about it to some.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 07:08:43 -0800 (PST), Bryan

>The folks who gave it an F can get prison F'd with a broomstick handle.

IOW if you don't like the food Bryan does...

Whatta asshole!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 9, 7:08*am, Bryan > wrote:
> Anyone have store brands that they buy that are as good as, or better than pricier national brands? *Essential Everyday hot breakfast sausage, available at SuperValu stores is one.http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...ay-pork-sausag...
> The folks who gave it an F can get prison F'd with a broomstick handle.

Just remembered -- we bought a pack of No. 4 coffee filters because
they were amazingly cheap. Turns out they're not as tall as our
regular filter, making tossing them afterwards a messy affair.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2013 4:41:17 PM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 07:08:43 -0800 (PST), Bryan

> >The folks who gave it an F can get prison F'd with a broomstick handle.

> IOW if you don't like the food Bryan does...
>

> Whatta asshole!
>

> John Kuthe...

IOW, Johny has a giant hard-on for Bryan and he's ****ed about being rebuffed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message
> Anyone have store brands that they buy that are as good as, or better than
> pricier national brands? Essential Everyday hot breakfast sausage,
> available at SuperValu stores is one.
> http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...ausage-i295222
> The folks who gave it an F can get prison F'd with a broomstick handle.
>
> --Bryan

I buy a lot of store brands. Some of the canned soups seem higher in salt
though. The only thing I've found that I didn't like was the HyTop refried
beans. Taste was fine but they were runny.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message
> Anyone have store brands that they buy that are as good as, or better than
> pricier national brands? Essential Everyday hot breakfast sausage,
> available at SuperValu stores is one.
> http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...ausage-i295222
> The folks who gave it an F can get prison F'd with a broomstick handle.
>
> --Bryan

There IS a difference between pricier national brands and store brands -
just check out canned salmon. The no-name cans will contain several pieces
that obviously came from closer to the tail. Nutritionally, there's
probably no difference but National Brands reserve the choice grades.
I worked in a canning factory during a couple of uni summer vacations when
peas were being harvested. These went out under the well-known UK factory
brand. They also re-constituted dry peas. The cans prepared for chain of
shops owned by the same company had a proportion of these reconstituted peas
with the fresh ones. The line prepared for Woolco had a significantly larger
proportion of the cheaper stuff.
Nutritionally there was little or no difference.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:
> Anyone have store brands that they buy that are as good as, or better
> than pricier national brands? Essential Everyday hot breakfast
> sausage, available at SuperValu stores is one.
> http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...ausage-i295222

Whole Foods and Trader Joe's both have house brands I buy regularly -
excellent quality and good price.

> The folks who gave it an F can get prison F'd with a broomstick
> handle.

Your mother should wash your mouth out with soap.

> --Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 9, 2013 7:49:02 PM UTC-6, Steve Freides wrote:
> Bryan wrote:
>
> > Anyone have store brands that they buy that are as good as, or better

> > than pricier national brands? Essential Everyday hot breakfast

> > sausage, available at SuperValu stores is one.

> > http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...ausage-i295222

> Whole Foods and Trader Joe's both have house brands I buy regularly -
>
> excellent quality and good price.
>

> > The folks who gave it an F can get prison F'd with a broomstick

> > handle.

> Your mother should wash your mouth out with soap.

My mother died in 1986, but she only once crossed the line with assaulting me physically. She tried to slap me, and I dodged the blow, and she hit her hand on a door jamb. She injured her hand. I loved my mother, and we had a very good relationship, but no one violates my bodily integrity. I have no idea what I would have done if the blow had landed. I hope that I would have made that the one exception, and I almost certainly would have, because even though I have had the mindset of always retaliating to violence, she was the one person whom I don't think that I could have physically assaulted, no matter what.

> > --Bryan

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 17:31:15 -0800 (PST), Bryan
>I don't believe in any way that John has any erotic feelings about me, though he is way more interested in insulting me that is anything near normal. Obsessions, or inordinate interest in another person, bizarre or otherwise, do not suggest anything sexual, and that is especially true when the two persons are both same sex and hetero. Why do you, , seem to not get that? Do you think that characterizing John as *** makes him look bad? As much as I have come to dislike him, I know that John is not bigoted toward LGBT folks. I have no idea why he took such a sudden dislike to me, nor why he seems to enjoy picking fights with me, but suggesting that he has sexual desires for me is downright stupid.

That's the problem Bryan. You see no reason for why I have discharged
you as a "friend"! You are NOT a friend. You care only about yourself
and it shows painfully in your behavior. You are a deliberate and
explicit asshole, as many on this nwgroup can attent. I finally got
sick of it. You have gotten much worse over the past few years too,
and it finally reached the point where after many episodes where I did
a running "cost-benefit" analysis of my time with you and it finally
yielded NO benefits for years, and finally transgressed in overt
completely unacceptable aggressive behaviors on your part designed to
do nothing but hurt me. Friends do not hurt friends deliberately.

How many "friends" have you lost in the past few years? You can't even
make "music" with your nephew anymore I suspect because he finally
told you to the truth about your "music", which you cannot stand
because of your egocentricity and thinking that your "music" is the
best thing ever (which it's not!)

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 10, 2013 6:38:27 AM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:
> Friends do not hurt friends deliberately.

You always start it because you have a pathetic life, and little else to do.

You followed me to alt.punk, then followed me here.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 10, 2013 7:56:03 AM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 17:31:15 -0800 (PST), Bryan

> >I don't believe in any way that John has any erotic feelings about me, though he is way more interested in insulting me that is anything near normal. Obsessions, or inordinate interest in another person, bizarre or otherwise, do not suggest anything sexual, and that is especially true when the two persons are both same sex and hetero. Why do you, , seem to not get that? Do you think that characterizing John as *** makes him look bad? As much as I have come to dislike him, I know that John is not bigoted toward LGBT folks. I have no idea why he took such a sudden dislike to me, nor why he seems to enjoy picking fights with me, but suggesting that he has sexual desires for me is downright stupid.

> It was not a sudden dislike. This has been steeping for years. You
>
> have been being less and less fun to be with over the past several
>
> years. You have become more and more egocentric and obsessive about
>
> YOU and what YOU think and downright insulting and cruel to anyone who
>
> disagrees with you, and I think I finally hit the nail on the head
>
> when I started commenting about your obsessive/compulsive behaviors,
>
> caling them what they are. Why would youtake that as an offense if it
>
> were not true?

My "obsessive/compulsive behaviors." That's funny. If anyone wants to see "obsessive/compulsive behaviors," I invite them to go to alt.punk and read the "Horrid Fashion Mistake Narrowly Averted!" thread. It's the Usenet equivalent of a little autistic kid rocking and head banging. Remember, "to the TOP!"?

Really though, I should admire you. If I had spent the last two decades getting little or no pussy, I'd probably be a bigger mess than you. You used to be a serious horndog. What did you do, get yourself gelded?

It's not me who changed, but you. I've been every bit as "egocentric" as I am now for at least 25 years. It just bothers you more now. One of these years, perhaps my stall kicking days will fade, and I'll become tamed, like you.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 05:56:36 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

>On Thursday, January 10, 2013 6:38:27 AM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:
>> Friends do not hurt friends deliberately.
>>

>You always start it because you have a pathetic life, and little else to do.

You sound like the child you are.

>You followed me to alt.punk, then followed me here.

Anything to inflate your ego!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 08:07:47 -0800 (PST), Bryan
>My "obsessive/compulsive behaviors." That's funny. If anyone wants to see "obsessive/compulsive behaviors," I invite them to go to alt.punk and read the "Horrid Fashion Mistake Narrowly Averted!" thread. It's the Usenet equivalent of a little autistic kid rocking and head banging. Remember, "to the TOP!"?

Yeah, I was bored.

>Really though, I should admire you. If I had spent the last two decades getting little or no pussy, I'd probably be a bigger mess than you. You used to be a serious horndog. What did you do, get yourself gelded?

And as usual it all comes down to YOUR PENIS!

>It's not me who changed, but you. I've been every bit as "egocentric" as I am now for at least 25 years. It just bothers you more now. One of these years, perhaps my stall kicking days will fade, and I'll become tamed, like you.

I just got tired of putting up with your bullshit. I've been putting
up with it for a LONG time! I'm finally calling you on it.

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 10, 2013 3:55:38 PM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 08:07:47 -0800 (PST), Bryan

> >My "obsessive/compulsive behaviors." That's funny. If anyone wants to see "obsessive/compulsive behaviors," I invite them to go to alt.punk and read the "Horrid Fashion Mistake Narrowly Averted!" thread. It's the Usenet equivalent of a little autistic kid rocking and head banging. Remember, "to the TOP!"?

> Yeah, I was bored.
>

> >Really though, I should admire you. If I had spent the last two decades getting little or no pussy, I'd probably be a bigger mess than you. You used to be a serious horndog. What did you do, get yourself gelded?

> And as usual it all comes down to YOUR PENIS!

Sexuality certainly isn't confined to genitalia, but I understand the shorthand. I'm lucky it doesn't come down to *your* penis. That would be very sad.

> >It's not me who changed, but you. I've been every bit as "egocentric" as I am now for at least 25 years. It just bothers you more now. One of these years, perhaps my stall kicking days will fade, and I'll become tamed, like you.

> I just got tired of putting up with your bullshit. I've been putting
>
> up with it for a LONG time!

And I suppose that wasn't by choice.

> I'm finally calling you on it.

Yes. you changed, and I did not. You obviously prefer the way you are now, a neutered ascetic. You used to "think with your penis" too, but then you *grew up*. I guess you've found something better than the pleasures of the flesh. I think I'll stick with the cave man stuff, you know, getting laid, eating bloody hunks of beef, drinking beer. You know, the gruff, brutish stuff.

And you suggest that I'm the one who is no fun anymore.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 14:50:09 -0800 (PST), Bryan
>> up with it for a LONG time!

>And I suppose that wasn't by choice.

That was entirely by choice, yes! Finally got to be too much.

>Yes. you changed, and I did not. You obviously prefer the way you are now, a neutered ascetic. You used to "think with your penis" too, but then you *grew up*. I guess you've found something better than the pleasures of the flesh. I think I'll stick with the cave man stuff, you know, getting laid, eating bloody hunks of beef, drinking beer. You know, the gruff, brutish stuff.

ROFL!!!! You know NOTHING about me anymore! You are entirely clueless!

>And you suggest that I'm the one who is no fun anymore.

Yes, the past couple of times we were together for anything you were
no fun at all. Just obsessing about your health.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 10, 2013 7:53:18 PM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 14:50:09 -0800 (PST), Bryan

> >> up with it for a LONG time!

> >And I suppose that wasn't by choice.

> That was entirely by choice, yes! Finally got to be too much.
>

> >Yes. you changed, and I did not. You obviously prefer the way you are now, a neutered ascetic. You used to "think with your penis" too, but then you *grew up*. I guess you've found something better than the pleasures of the flesh. I think I'll stick with the cave man stuff, you know, getting laid, eating bloody hunks of beef, drinking beer. You know, the gruff, brutish stuff.

> ROFL!!!! You know NOTHING about me anymore! You are entirely clueless!

Well, if getting a job where there are lots of women around had gotten you laid, I'm happy that is the case.

> >And you suggest that I'm the one who is no fun anymore.

> Yes, the past couple of times we were together for anything you were
>
> no fun at all. Just obsessing about your health.

You use the word obsessing a lot. As I recall, those encounters also included you showing off your knowledge of medical things which would have bored most folks because they wouldn't have understood the jargon that I did. We tolerated each other's personality flaws, but then you chose to denounce me publicly on Usenet for reasons that only you understand.

Reasonable people walk away from failed friendships, and get on with their lives.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

SuperValu's Essential Everyday Romano is real sheep cheese-- http://www.shopwell.com/essential-ev...d/p/4130300879

> Graham

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 19:52:46 -0800 (PST), Bryan ...
>You use the word obsessing a lot. As I recall, those encounters also included you showing off your knowledge of medical things which would have bored most folks because they wouldn't have understood the jargon that I did. We tolerated each other's personality flaws, but then you chose to denounce me publicly on Usenet for reasons that only you understand.

I suppose we had what's called a "toxic friendship". Now that I don't
drink/take other drugs all the time anymore, I cannot stand you! (Or
choose not to, as there is nothing worthwhile there for me anymore!)

It happens! Took me too damned long to find this out, I guess.

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 11, 2013 1:04:59 PM UTC-6, l not -l wrote:
> On 9-Jan-2013, spamtrap1888 > wrote:

> > > Predident's Choice, sold by Loblaws, Zehrs and No Frills.

> > Jewel Food Stores in Chicago carried President's Choice products for

> > years, until they got bought out by Albertson's IIRC.

> > The funny thing was their long term competitor National Foods (RIP)

> > had been owned by Loblaw's. National carried no Loblaw's private

> > labeled products IIRC. Their signage towards the end featured an "n"

> > that was a rotation of the "l" that Loblaw's used.

> The National stores in the St. Louis area carried a wide variety of
>
> President's Choice products; all that I tried were excellent.

I agree. I especially liked the PC chocolate chip cookies. They had all natural ingredients too. Global Foods in Kirkwood used to be a National, and the National here in Richmond Heights is now an Office Depot. Interestingly, the Schnucks at Brentwood and Manchester was being built as a Kroger, but Schnucks was having none of that, and paid off Kroger to leave St. Louis.

I really don't understand how Shop 'n Save undersells Schnucks and Dierbergs so consistently, yet folks still shop Schnucks and Dierbergs, even in a depressed economy. It really seems like a bourgeois thing, like folks think that shopping at Shop 'n Save is an admission of low socio-economic status..

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2013 9:06 PM, Bryan wrote:
> I really don't understand how Shop 'n Save undersells Schnucks and Dierbergs so consistently, yet folks still shop Schnucks and Dierbergs, even in a depressed economy. It really seems like a bourgeois thing, like folks think that shopping at Shop 'n Save is an admission of low socio-economic status.
>
> --Bryan

Better purchasing agreements? Dunno, I have never seen a Shop 'n Save
store in my part of the US.

When I shopped at Schnucks in TN it was because it was nearby, not
because of some weird bourgeois thing. Kroger was further away. I
wouldn't have minded the drive if Kroger had nearly as nice a selection
of produce.

I seem to recall Albertson's bought out a local family run chain of
stores, Seessel's. Excellent service there. I was looking for a small
quantity of ground pork to make one of my signature dishes, Thai pork
and shrimp steamed dumplings.

The butcher was a little upset because the Albertson's rules were they
were only allowed to grind beef. I only needed a few ounces of ground
pork, I didn't want to have to buy a pound of Hormel cryo-vac'd crap.
He said to me, "I've been a butcher for 35 years. I know how to clean a
grinder between different types of meat. How much pork do you need?"
That's what I call service!

Then again, I once bought some fish fillets after Albertson's sold out
to Schnucks. The woman who weighed it for me pressed something wrong on
the digital scale. I was just about to the check-out stand when I heard
her yelling, "Wait!" I turned around and she was running down the aisle
towards me. She reached me, slapped another label on the package of
fish and said, "I overcharged you!" I doubt most employees would have
noticed or cared.

I've got two grocery stores near my home. Publix and Food Lion. They
are right next door to each other. I know the prices at Food Lion are a
little lower. But it is a very old and grubby looking store. It has
very poor lighting. The tile floor badly in need of replacing. The
whole thing needs a makeover. It is not an inviting place to shop.

Publix costs a little more but it's bright, well stocked and the
employees are very friendly and helpful. Not to sound 'superior' in any
way, they also employ people who are mentally challenged. Literally.
They work as baggers; people who put your groceries in bags. They'll
offer to help load the groceries into your car.

These are people who wouldn't be texting before putting Ed's groceries
in a bag. (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

I doubt any one grocery store is run exactly like the previous one.
Particularly not with a takeover situation. You never know if the new
owners are going to make improvements or just start shutting stores
down. It's a crap shoot.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:08:33 AM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/11/2013 9:06 PM, Bryan wrote:
>
> > I really don't understand how Shop 'n Save undersells Schnucks and Dierbergs so consistently, yet folks still shop Schnucks and Dierbergs, even in a depressed economy. It really seems like a bourgeois thing, like folks think that shopping at Shop 'n Save is an admission of low socio-economic status.

> > --Bryan

> Better purchasing agreements? Dunno, I have never seen a Shop 'n Save
>
> store in my part of the US.
>

> When I shopped at Schnucks in TN it was because it was nearby, not
>
> because of some weird bourgeois thing.

[snip]

> I've got two grocery stores near my home. Publix and Food Lion. They
>
> are right next door to each other. I know the prices at Food Lion are a
>
> little lower. But it is a very old and grubby looking store. It has
>
> very poor lighting. The tile floor badly in need of replacing. The
>
> whole thing needs a makeover. It is not an inviting place to shop.
>

> Publix costs a little more but it's bright, well stocked and the
>
> employees are very friendly and helpful.

Publix and Food Lion are very different. Food Lion is the bottom of the barrel. When we lived in Hudson, Florida, there was a Food Lion there. I used to go there occasionally for a few things that were way cheaper than the Jewel right behind our apartment complex. It wasn't the sort of store my wife would ever choose to shop, but she had been curious about it because I had described it, and every time I went there when she was at work, she'd say that she'd like to see it some time. Finally one day, I think it was a Saturday morning, we went there and she agreed that it was a dump. In the parking lot, where quite a few people could overhear, I asked, "There. Are you happy now that I've finally taken you to Food Lion?" I was joking, of course, but we've gotten plenty of laughs over the years imagining what the other shoppers who heard that must have thought.

> Jill

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2013 11:43 AM, Bryan wrote:
> Publix and Food Lion are very different. Food Lion is the bottom of the barrel. When we lived in Hudson, Florida, there was a Food Lion there. I used to go there occasionally for a few things that were way cheaper than the Jewel right behind our apartment complex. It wasn't the sort of store my wife would ever choose to shop, but she had been curious about it because I had described it, and every time I went there when she was at work, she'd say that she'd like to see it some time. Finally one day, I think it was a Saturday morning, we went there and she agreed that it was a dump. In the parking lot, where quite a few people could overhear, I asked, "There. Are you happy now that I've finally taken you to Food Lion?" I was joking, of course, but we've gotten plenty of laughs over the years imagining what the other shoppers who heard that must have thought.

Yeah. But I don't have a multitude of supermarkets to choose from. I
could drive 10 miles farther to Piggly Wiggly. I can't think of a
reason to do that.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 12:12:42 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 1/12/2013 11:43 AM, Bryan wrote:
>> Publix and Food Lion are very different. Food Lion is the bottom of the barrel. When we lived in Hudson, Florida, there was a Food Lion there. I used to go there occasionally for a few things that were way cheaper than the Jewel right behind our apartment complex. It wasn't the sort of store my wife would ever choose to shop, but she had been curious about it because I had described it, and every time I went there when she was at work, she'd say that she'd like to see it some time. Finally one day, I think it was a Saturday morning, we went there and she agreed that it was a dump. In the parking lot, where quite a few people could overhear, I asked, "There. Are you happy now that I've finally taken you to Food Lion?" I was joking, of course, but we've gotten plenty of laughs over the years imagining what the other shoppers who heard that must have thought.
>>> >

>Yeah. But I don't have a multitude of supermarkets to choose from. I
>could drive 10 miles farther to Piggly Wiggly. I can't think of a
>reason to do that.
>
>Jill

I've been to The Pig in southern TN and I wouldn't make an effort to
go there either. The Pig in Nashville was so-so. When I lived in
Wisconsin years ago, it was a fine store.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2013 12:59 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 12:12:42 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 1/12/2013 11:43 AM, Bryan wrote:
>>> Publix and Food Lion are very different. Food Lion is the bottom of the barrel. When we lived in Hudson, Florida, there was a Food Lion there. I used to go there occasionally for a few things that were way cheaper than the Jewel right behind our apartment complex. It wasn't the sort of store my wife would ever choose to shop, but she had been curious about it because I had described it, and every time I went there when she was at work, she'd say that she'd like to see it some time. Finally one day, I think it was a Saturday morning, we went there and she agreed that it was a dump. In the parking lot, where quite a few people could overhear, I asked, "There. Are you happy now that I've finally taken you to Food Lion?" I was joking, of course, but we've gotten plenty of laughs over the years imagining what the other shoppers who heard that must have thought.
>>>>>

>> Yeah. But I don't have a multitude of supermarkets to choose from. I
>> could drive 10 miles farther to Piggly Wiggly. I can't think of a
>> reason to do that.
>>
>> Jill

> I've been to The Pig in southern TN and I wouldn't make an effort to
> go there either. The Pig in Nashville was so-so. When I lived in
> Wisconsin years ago, it was a fine store.
> Janet US

'The Pig' claims to be the first "self serve" grocery store.
http://www.pigglywiggly.com/about-us.

I've shopped in some nice ones. But that was many years ago. I
probably wouldn't go out of my way to shop at the one in Beaufort.
Seems like they've been going downhill for a while.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/13/2013 6:38 PM, Bryan wrote:
> On Sunday, January 13, 2013 4:45:51 PM UTC-6, Nancy Young wrote:\

>> I tried saving a buck on disinfectant wipes, the crappy package made
>>
>> using them a real pain in the neck. That's just one example. It
>>
>> cost me way more than a dollar in aggravation.
>>

> Disinfectant wipes are silly to begin with. You can mix up your own disinfectant
>solution for less than a penny a spray bottle, and use microfiber

cloths that you
>toss in your clothes washer.

I know I can do that. I can hire someone to come over and do that
for me, too. Fact is I like those wipes for a lot of everyday
cleaning jobs. Other times I use microfiber cloths. Depends.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" <replyto@inemail> wrote in message
> On 1/13/2013 6:38 PM, Bryan wrote:
>> On Sunday, January 13, 2013 4:45:51 PM UTC-6, Nancy Young wrote:\

>>> I tried saving a buck on disinfectant wipes, the crappy package made
>>>
>>> using them a real pain in the neck. That's just one example. It
>>>
>>> cost me way more than a dollar in aggravation.
>>>

>> Disinfectant wipes are silly to begin with. You can mix up your own
>> disinfectant
> >solution for less than a penny a spray bottle, and use microfiber

> cloths that you
> >toss in your clothes washer.

> I know I can do that. I can hire someone to come over and do that
> for me, too. Fact is I like those wipes for a lot of everyday
> cleaning jobs. Other times I use microfiber cloths. Depends.

I like to keep small packages of disposable type things in my van. Can be a
tad difficult in the winter if they freeze or in the summer if they dry up.
But they work for most of the year. I buy baby wipes too. They're handy
for quick spills and wiping off dust.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/13/2013 8:17 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Nancy Young" <replyto@inemail> wrote

>> I know I can do that. I can hire someone to come over and do that
>> for me, too. Fact is I like those wipes for a lot of everyday
>> cleaning jobs. Other times I use microfiber cloths. Depends.

> I like to keep small packages of disposable type things in my van. Can be a
> tad difficult in the winter if they freeze or in the summer if they dry up.
> But they work for most of the year. I buy baby wipes too. They're handy
> for quick spills and wiping off dust.

There are times when the wipes are really more useful than a bottle
of spray and a cloth. I don't use them as much as I implied, a
canister lasts me quite a while. Sometimes I just like to wipe
down a sink or something without dealing with a spray bottle, and
then there's a wet dirty cloth to deal with.

I bring a small package when I travel. Perhaps I kid myself,
but I feel better wiping down things like remotes/etc.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" <replyto@inemail> wrote in message
> On 1/13/2013 8:17 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Nancy Young" <replyto@inemail> wrote

>>> I know I can do that. I can hire someone to come over and do that
>>> for me, too. Fact is I like those wipes for a lot of everyday
>>> cleaning jobs. Other times I use microfiber cloths. Depends.

>> I like to keep small packages of disposable type things in my van. Can
>> be a
>> tad difficult in the winter if they freeze or in the summer if they dry
>> up.
>> But they work for most of the year. I buy baby wipes too. They're handy
>> for quick spills and wiping off dust.

> There are times when the wipes are really more useful than a bottle
> of spray and a cloth. I don't use them as much as I implied, a
> canister lasts me quite a while. Sometimes I just like to wipe
> down a sink or something without dealing with a spray bottle, and
> then there's a wet dirty cloth to deal with.
>
> I bring a small package when I travel. Perhaps I kid myself,
> but I feel better wiping down things like remotes/etc.

I do that too. Particularly the handles on shopping trolleys/carts.
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/