Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default Lamb Loin Chops - ???

If "you" had a bunch of lamb loin chops - how would "you" cook/prepare
them, and why/how? I'm just curious

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> If "you" had a bunch of lamb loin chops - how would "you" cook/prepare
> them, and why/how? I'm just curious

I LOVE lamb loin chops! But they must be tiny.

I prefer then to be fried in a fry pan but Himself prefers then to be
grilled (which is I think called 'broiled' in the US)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 22:37:00 -0500, Sky >
wrote:

> If "you" had a bunch of lamb loin chops - how would "you" cook/prepare
> them, and why/how? I'm just curious

Marinate in EVOO, lemon juice, chopped garlic and either chopped fresh
rosemary, dried oregano or dried thyme.... I have an herb mix called
za'atar that would be great on it too. I have a grill pan that I cook
them on, but you could use a regular cast iron pan or run them under
the broiler. My preferred way would be to grill outside over
charcoal, but I use the grill pan instead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

> If "you" had a bunch of lamb loin chops - how would "you" cook/prepare
> them, and why/how? I'm just curious

I usually do half teh batch as Steve said, rubbed in herbs and broiled, and
the other half broiled but "nature" (pronounced a-la francaise): just some
EVO oil and that's all. I never got to understand if I prefer the herbed or
the "nature" ones
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 02/01/2013 10:37 PM, Sky wrote:
> If "you" had a bunch of lamb loin chops - how would "you" cook/prepare
> them, and why/how? I'm just curious

We usually rub them with crushed garlic and some mint sause (not jelly)
and let them sit for a half hour or so. If the weather is nice they are
grilled on the gas BBQ. Otherwise they are done in a grill pan or
broiled. They should be pink inside.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/2/2013 10:37 PM, Sky wrote:
> If "you" had a bunch of lamb loin chops - how would "you" cook/prepare
> them, and why/how? I'm just curious

I buy these often and marinate overnight in good olive oil, with a lot
of fresh lemon juice, a thick sprinkling of Greek oregano and several
smashed garlic cloves, then grill them to med rare.

Why? Because it tastes good!

Susan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 11:59:10 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2013 22:17:41 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:
>

> > Make a wet paste of EVOO, garlic, thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper and

> > rub it all over the chops.

> ...Let sit in the fridge for a few hours.
>

> > Then broil hot and fast on each side and

> > serve med-rare to medium.

I'd do exactly that except I'd omit the thyme and rosemary, and add oregano and a little lemon juice.

> -sw

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 3, 2013 8:47:36 AM UTC-6, Susan wrote:
> On 1/2/2013 10:37 PM, Sky wrote:
>
> > If "you" had a bunch of lamb loin chops - how would "you" cook/prepare

> > them, and why/how? I'm just curious

> I buy these often and marinate overnight in good olive oil, with a lot
>
> of fresh lemon juice, a thick sprinkling of Greek oregano and several
>
> smashed garlic cloves, then grill them to med rare.
>

> Why? Because it tastes good!

One of the few changes if I suddenly had significantly more money, is I'd have lamb more often. I am rather more sparing with the lemon juice though, and use a lot of cracked peppercorns. Maybe tomorrow I'll stop at the international foods store and get some lamb. I could have a marinade made up already and let it soak while I'm at work.

> Susan

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 06:56:12 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 11:59:10 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Jan 2013 22:17:41 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:
> >

> > > Make a wet paste of EVOO, garlic, thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper and

> > > rub it all over the chops.

> > ...Let sit in the fridge for a few hours.
> >

> > > Then broil hot and fast on each side and

> > > serve med-rare to medium.

> I'd do exactly that except I'd omit the thyme and rosemary, and add oregano and a little lemon juice.
> >
> > -sw

No need to use all those competing herb flavors. Pick one and go with
it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 09:17:00 +0100, "ViLco" > wrote:

>Sky wrote:
>
>> If "you" had a bunch of lamb loin chops - how would "you" cook/prepare
>> them, and why/how? I'm just curious

>I usually do half teh batch as Steve said, rubbed in herbs and broiled, and
>the other half broiled but "nature" (pronounced a-la francaise): just some
>EVO oil and that's all. I never got to understand if I prefer the herbed or
>the "nature" ones

Lamb chops have such a beautiful flavor, why mess it up with herbs.
Salt and pepper and maybe a light rub with garlic and they are
wonderful.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/3/2013 10:04 AM, Bryan wrote:
> On Thursday, January 3, 2013 8:47:36 AM UTC-6, Susan wrote:
>> On 1/2/2013 10:37 PM, Sky wrote:
>>
>>> If "you" had a bunch of lamb loin chops - how would "you" cook/prepare

>>> them, and why/how? I'm just curious

>> I buy these often and marinate overnight in good olive oil, with a lot
>>
>> of fresh lemon juice, a thick sprinkling of Greek oregano and several
>>
>> smashed garlic cloves, then grill them to med rare.
>>

>> Why? Because it tastes good!
>>

> One of the few changes if I suddenly had significantly more money, is I'd have lamb more often. I am rather more sparing with the lemon juice though, and use a lot of cracked peppercorns. Maybe tomorrow I'll stop at the international foods store and get some lamb. I could have a marinade made up already and let it soak while I'm at work.

I only buy lamb loin chops when they're on sale. (Shanks are usually
much cheaper and yield a lot more bang for the buck, but those I brown
first, then stew.)

I like the greek oregano suggestion for the seasoning the chops. I
usually use the brushed with olive oil/dried rosemary/minced garlic
method and add a dash of lemon juice. Grilled or broiled to at most
med-rare.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> If "you" had a bunch of lamb loin chops - how would "you" cook/prepare
> them, and why/how? I'm just curious
>
> Sky
>
> --
>
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Salt & pepper, Brown in EVOO and finish in a 400 degree oven. The time in
the oven depends on the thickness of the chop.

Then rest on a plate covered with foil while making a sauce in the pan after
deglazing.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

> If "you" had a bunch of lamb loin chops - how would "you" cook/prepare
> them, and why/how? I'm just curious

If I had a bunch there would be enough for me to cook them several ways.

Pan fry with some herbs.

Quick roast lightly salted.

Slow roast all the way to not quite well done.

Dice and use in stew.

Make lamb broth from the bones.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky > wrote:

> If "you" had a bunch of lamb loin chops - how would "you" cook/prepare
> them, and why/how? I'm just curious

If the chops are really good quality, cook them as simply as possible.
I would sprinkle them with salt and pepper, heat a heavy cast iron pan
to almost smoking and sear them, with no fat added, on both sides and on
the rim covered, hopefully, with fat until they are pink inside. I
would then remove the chops to a warmed plate, pour off any rendered fat
from the pan, heat some butter and, when it is hot, some finely chopped
garlic, cooking it very briefly. Pour the butter with the garlic over
the chops and, optionally, sprinkle with some parsley.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 20:08:16 -0500, Susan wrote:

>> I buy them at Costco, from Australia, for a much lower price than I see
>> in stores. I think they may be up to $7 per lb now, with rib racks up
>> to $10 per lb.

>NZ Chops (lamb T-Bones) are $9/lb with Frenched racks going for
>$12-14/lb at both Costco and Sam's. Those are U.S. prices.

One would expect NZ lamb to be better and cost more than Aussie
lamb, which could be grown in a swamp rather than raised on
a heathen-covered hillside. That is, heather or heath or something.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" wrote in message ...

Sqwertz > wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 20:08:16 -0500, Susan wrote:

>> I buy them at Costco, from Australia, for a much lower price than I see
>> in stores. I think they may be up to $7 per lb now, with rib racks up
>> to $10 per lb.

>NZ Chops (lamb T-Bones) are $9/lb with Frenched racks going for
>$12-14/lb at both Costco and Sam's. Those are U.S. prices.

One would expect NZ lamb to be better and cost more than Aussie
lamb, which could be grown in a swamp rather than raised on
a heathen-covered hillside. That is, heather or heath or something.

Steve

Why would you expect NZ lamb to be supior to Australian Lamb for?......I
would certainly get that 'grown in a swamp' idea out of your that head of
yours....Shows how much you know about raising Lambs, and NZ, and Australian
growing conditions....

Barry Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bigbazza" > wrote in message
> "Steve Pope" wrote in message ...
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>>On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 20:08:16 -0500, Susan wrote:

>>> I buy them at Costco, from Australia, for a much lower price than I see
>>> in stores. I think they may be up to $7 per lb now, with rib racks up
>>> to $10 per lb.

>>NZ Chops (lamb T-Bones) are $9/lb with Frenched racks going for
>>$12-14/lb at both Costco and Sam's. Those are U.S. prices.

> One would expect NZ lamb to be better and cost more than Aussie
> lamb, which could be grown in a swamp rather than raised on
> a heathen-covered hillside. That is, heather or heath or something.
>
> Why would you expect NZ lamb to be supior to Australian Lamb for?......I
> would certainly get that 'grown in a swamp' idea out of your that head of
> yours....Shows how much you know about raising Lambs, and NZ, and
> Australian growing conditions....

I thought Steve's post was really hilarious :-))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/4/13 12:47 AM, Sqwertz wrote:

>> Lamb chops have such a beautiful flavor, why mess it up with herbs.
>> Salt and pepper and maybe a light rub with garlic and they are
>> wonderful.

> I think lamb takes to herbs more than any other meat out there. Lamb
> has a nice bold taste that is begging for some spice. And there a few
> cuisines that will back me up on that.

Lamb is very flexible, but it depends on the source and the cut.

I find NZ lamb to be significantly lacking in flavor compared to
Colorado lamb, for example, so I hit it more gently with additional
flavor. Also, I reserve the spice for larger cuts, like racks, and use
just some herbs on individual chops.

Last night, we had some beautiful small rib chops, about a half-inch
thick -- too thin to take any spicing without overwhelming the lamb
flavor. They marinated in oo, lemon juice, and rosemary for about four
hours, then were sauteed for 1.5 minutes on the first side, and 1 minute
on the second. While they rested, I zapped some narrow red and yellow
bell pepper strips in the saute pan. Served with a garden salad and
parmesan-topped biscuits, along with a nice 32 Winds pinot noir. Dessert
was left-over chocolate-raspberry pie from New Year's Day. Yum!

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 23:47:30 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 09:07:58 -0700, Janet Bostwick wrote:

>>>I usually do half teh batch as Steve said, rubbed in herbs and broiled, and
>>>the other half broiled but "nature" (pronounced a-la francaise): just some
>>>EVO oil and that's all. I never got to understand if I prefer the herbed or
>>>the "nature" ones

>> Lamb chops have such a beautiful flavor, why mess it up with herbs.
>> Salt and pepper and maybe a light rub with garlic and they are
>> wonderful.

>Why mess up anything with herbs?
>
>I think lamb takes to herbs more than any other meat out there. Lamb
>has a nice bold taste that is begging for some spice. And there a few
>cuisines that will back me up on that.
>
>Bhhaaaaaaaa!
>
>-sw

I enjoy the flavor of good lamb chops so much that I don't want to
dilute the flavor.
The larger cuts of lamb are enhanced with herbs and marinades.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Susan wrote:

> > I was speaking of chops specifically. I love other lamb parts with
> > the herbs. Last sentence was unnecessary.

> I was referring to loin lamb chops, specifically.
> But the point still stands; WHY do I add seasoning/herbs?
> For the taste.
>
> But I promise not to if I ever cook them for you.

Good! I like it. Now when she eats lamb chops at your house, she'll never know
why they're so delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> I think lamb takes to herbs more than any other meat out there. Lamb
> has a nice bold taste that is begging for some spice.

[silliness snipped]

I agree with Geraldine, mostly because lamb is strong in flavor. You can herb
up veal or pork, but you have to be careful not to drown out the flavor of the
meat. Lamb is much more forgiving.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> I enjoy the flavor of good lamb chops so much that I don't want to
> dilute the flavor.

Do you like fruit on your Frosted Flakes?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 11:09:54 -0500, George M. Middius
> wrote:

>Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> I enjoy the flavor of good lamb chops so much that I don't want to
>> dilute the flavor.

>Do you like fruit on your Frosted Flakes?

Ugh! Who eats cold, sugared cereal? Or cold cereal at all? You can
have your lamb chops any way you want. Perhaps the way that I
originally stated my preference indicated that I was faulting cooks
who prepare with herbs and marinades. I wasn't.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 11:09:15 -0500, George M. Middius
> wrote:

>Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> I think lamb takes to herbs more than any other meat out there. Lamb
>> has a nice bold taste that is begging for some spice.

>[silliness snipped]
>

>I agree with Geraldine, mostly because lamb is strong in flavor. You can herb
>up veal or pork, but you have to be careful not to drown out the flavor of the
>meat. Lamb is much more forgiving.

I think you must be getting more strongly flavored lamb chops than I
am at Costco. It sounds like you are describing venison.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/4/13 12:13 PM, Susan wrote:

> Lamb is the only red meat I can think of that is disliked by so many
> folks, and I'm pretty sure that's often discussed when diners and
> chefs talk about preferences between NZ, Oz and U.S. lamb. U.S.
> lamb is considered less gamey.

Many of the people I've met who claim to dislike lamb base that opinion
on having been served mutton rather than lamb, or lamb that was older
than it should have been. My parents were both that way, having been
forced to eat mutton in the UK during WWII.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> >I agree with Geraldine, mostly because lamb is strong in flavor. You can herb
> >up veal or pork, but you have to be careful not to drown out the flavor of the
> >meat. Lamb is much more forgiving.
> >

> I think you must be getting more strongly flavored lamb chops than I
> am at Costco. It sounds like you are describing venison.

You can't get wool from venison.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 4, 2013 12:43:13 PM UTC-5, George M. Middius wrote:
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>

> > >I agree with Geraldine, mostly because lamb is strong in flavor. You can herb

> > >up veal or pork, but you have to be careful not to drown out the flavor of the

> > >meat. Lamb is much more forgiving.

> > I think you must be getting more strongly flavored lamb chops than I

> > am at Costco. It sounds like you are describing venison.

> You can't get wool from venison.

And you can't get wisdom from a retard. Can't you shut the **** up?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 12:36:27 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> Lamb chops are mild and sweet and meaty tasting.

"Mild" depends on where they came from and Australian lamb is far from
it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 4, 2013 2:30:22 PM UTC-7, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 12:36:27 -0700, Janet Bostwick
>
> > wrote:
>
> > Lamb chops are mild and sweet and meaty tasting.

> "Mild" depends on where they came from and Australian lamb is far from
>
> it.
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

North American grown lamb is excellent. Australian grown lamb is gross...at
least the crap they export is. That has been my experience...others may disagree.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:

> BTW - what happened to rec.food.recipes, any ideas ?

I rather suspect that the moderator abandoned the newsgroup, probably
never having been really interested in the job in the first place.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Susan wrote:

> My eyebrows just about flew off my face when ...

Whoa. That's a disturbing scenario. ;o
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Susan wrote:

>> Many of the people I've met who claim to dislike lamb base that opinion
>> on having been served mutton rather than lamb, or lamb that was older
>> than it should have been. My parents were both that way, having been
>> forced to eat mutton in the UK during WWII.
>>

> That hasn't been my experience, plus mutton is not readily available
> where most folks shop.
>
> My daughter found it cheaply in NYC and liked it precisely for its
> increased gaminess, though.
>
> I used to avoid lamb, except for baby ribeye chops I grew up eating
> (with only s and p and broiled by my mother) due to gaminess as well.

The lamb I grew up with was quite gamy. I never knew where it came from,
but it probably wasn't domestic.

I think that strongly-flavored meat like mutton is well-suited for a
couple different approaches:

1. Treat the meat like a condiment, e.g., just add enough of it to get
the flavor, without overwhelming the other ingredients in the dish. A
good example of that would be a biryani.

2. If you want the mutton to be the main ingredient, include enough
other very-strongly-flavored ingredients to that the mutton isn't the
only thing the diners can taste.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> I've been trying to find actual mutton for a couple years to no avail.
> All I could find was this damned can of BBQ mutton.

A local rancher sells lamb, goat, and mutton at the farmers' markets. I
wanted to buy mutton last year but Lin didn't want me to; she doesn't
care for it.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:

>> If "you" had a bunch of lamb loin chops - how would "you" cook/prepare
>> them, and why/how? I'm just curious

> If I had a bunch there would be enough for me to cook them several ways.
>
> Pan fry with some herbs.
>
> Quick roast lightly salted.
>
> Slow roast all the way to not quite well done.
>
> Dice and use in stew.
>
> Make lamb broth from the bones.

"Several ways" would be my answer too. Besides the ones you've given,
I'd add:

Lamb Tagine
Lamb tacos
Grilled lamb chops with tomato-bacon confit
Grilled lamb chops with cherry-olive sauce
Grilled lamb chops with savory and espelette peppers
Curry-rubbed lamb chops (Doesn't have to be curry *powder*, there are
wonderful curries in the cuisines of India, Myanmar, Thailand, China,
Indonesia, Malaysia, and Japan which don't use a pre-mixed powder.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> I've been trying to find actual mutton for a couple years to no avail.
>> All I could find was this damned can of BBQ mutton.

> A local rancher sells lamb, goat, and mutton at the farmers' markets. I
> wanted to buy mutton last year but Lin didn't want me to; she doesn't
> care for it.

I wonder if mutton might be available special order at one of the local
Hallal places.

I like goat even better than lamb because of the gamey-ness. I remember
mutton from when I was a kid (pun intended) but Dad incorrectly used the
word for goat so that might not be actually older-lamb-meat mutton.
Either way I figure I'd like mutton on occasion. Goat is my favorite
red meat unless you count goose as red meat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2013 4:48 PM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> I've been trying to find actual mutton for a couple years to no avail.
>>> All I could find was this damned can of BBQ mutton.

>> A local rancher sells lamb, goat, and mutton at the farmers' markets. I
>> wanted to buy mutton last year but Lin didn't want me to; she doesn't
>> care for it.

> I wonder if mutton might be available special order at one of the local
> Hallal places.
>
> I like goat even better than lamb because of the gamey-ness. I remember
> mutton from when I was a kid (pun intended) but Dad incorrectly used the
> word for goat so that might not be actually older-lamb-meat mutton.
> Either way I figure I'd like mutton on occasion. Goat is my favorite
> red meat unless you count goose as red meat.

My husband LOVES goat. He's trying to convince me to get a half-goat. I
am new to it and still mostly prefer lamb. I made a goat couscous last
week that was pretty good. I think it benefited from the long cooking time.

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 18:28:39 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 21:48:59 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger wrote:
>
>> I like goat even better than lamb because of the gamey-ness. I remember
>> mutton from when I was a kid (pun intended) but Dad incorrectly used the
>> word for goat so that might not be actually older-lamb-meat mutton.
>> Either way I figure I'd like mutton on occasion. Goat is my favorite
>> red meat unless you count goose as red meat.

>I specifically want mutton for it's gameyness. I'm not fond of the
>gameyness that comes with horse or venison, but I do like the strong
>flavor of lamb. The stronger the better.

Agreed. I adore lamb/mutton/hogget.

For those who prefer less gamey, the best breed for that would be
Dorper sheep. But given how relatively scarce lamb is over there I
doubt you would ever come across it.

I getting a dozen of them in about a month and will eb breeding
them... they drop their fleece in summer and don't require shearing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 12:19:01 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

> For those who prefer less gamey, the best breed for that would be
> Dorper sheep. But given how relatively scarce lamb is over there I
> doubt you would ever come across it.
>
> I getting a dozen of them in about a month and will eb breeding
> them... they drop their fleece in summer and don't require shearing.

My mother raised Suffolk sheep and the lambs were mighty fine tasting,
however they needed to be shorn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 17:25:25 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 12:19:01 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>>
>> For those who prefer less gamey, the best breed for that would be
>> Dorper sheep. But given how relatively scarce lamb is over there I
>> doubt you would ever come across it.
>>
>> I getting a dozen of them in about a month and will eb breeding
>> them... they drop their fleece in summer and don't require shearing.

>My mother raised Suffolk sheep and the lambs were mighty fine tasting,
>however they needed to be shorn.

That's what I currently have, black faced Suffolks.
As you say, very tasty

OB Food: some vintage cheese and smoked Wallaby sausage for lunch.