Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default lamb loin chops (???)

I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>

Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce and/or
jelly??? TIA.

Skyhooks
""aahhtt""
s b c g l o b a l
""ddoott""
n e t
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks wrote:

> I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
> thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>
>
> Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
> pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce
> and/or jelly??? TIA.

Grilled to a nice medium rare.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks wrote:
> I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
> thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>
>
> Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
> pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce
> and/or jelly??? TIA.

No

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 20 Mar 2006 05:24:04p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ken Davey?

> Skyhooks wrote:
>> I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
>> thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>
>>
>> Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
>> pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce
>> and/or jelly??? TIA.
>>

> No

Sussinct <g>

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks wrote:

> I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
> thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>
>
> Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
> pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce and/or
> jelly??? TIA.
>
> Skyhooks
> ""aahhtt""
> s b c g l o b a l
> ""ddoott""
> n e t

I can only suggest avoiding the mint sauce / jelly. Lamb tastes too good
to mask with mint anything. Just a pinch of salt and pepper perhaps if
even that.

Pete C.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks wrote:
> I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
> thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>
>
> Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
> pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce and/or
> jelly??? TIA.
>
> Skyhooks
> ""aahhtt""
> s b c g l o b a l
> ""ddoott""
> n e t

I do my lamb with garlic, rosemary and lemon zest, sear it then roast it a bit
(sorry, i don't have specifics). Then I take it out of the oven, put them on a
plate to rest. Deglaze the pan with red wine, let it reduce just a bit, turn
off the heat and then add a tablespoon of butter per person whisking
constantly.

Plate the lamb and pour the sauce over it.

Usually I serve it with mashed potatoes with burnt green onions and asparagus.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
> Skyhooks wrote:
>>
>> I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
>> thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>
>>
>> Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
>> pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce
>> and/or jelly??? TIA.
>>
>> Skyhooks

> I can only suggest avoiding the mint sauce / jelly. Lamb tastes too
> good to mask with mint anything. Just a pinch of salt and pepper
> perhaps if even that.
>
> Pete C.

Agreed. And the only type of lamb chops I buy are the loin chops. Much
more bang for the buck than those tiny shoulder chops.

Grill or broil the chops, rare. No more than medium rare, that's for sure.
A little brushing of olive oil and some crushed rosemary is about the only
other thing I'd suggest in the way of "treatment" other than salt & pepper.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks wrote:

> I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
> thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>
>
> Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
> pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce and/or
> jelly??? TIA.

The first thing to two is to go out and get a couple more of them because
lamb loin chops are so good you always want more. I never fry them. I
either do them on the BBQ grill or in a grill pan. I rub the with garlic and
mint sauce and let them sit for an hour or so, and then grill them until
they are pink.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Pete C. wrote:
> > Skyhooks wrote:
> >>
> >> I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
> >> thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>
> >>
> >> Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
> >> pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce
> >> and/or jelly??? TIA.
> >>
> >> Skyhooks

> > I can only suggest avoiding the mint sauce / jelly. Lamb tastes too
> > good to mask with mint anything. Just a pinch of salt and pepper
> > perhaps if even that.
> >
> > Pete C.

> Agreed. And the only type of lamb chops I buy are the loin chops. Much
> more bang for the buck than those tiny shoulder chops.
>
> Grill or broil the chops, rare. No more than medium rare, that's for sure.
> A little brushing of olive oil and some crushed rosemary is about the only
> other thing I'd suggest in the way of "treatment" other than salt & pepper.
>
> Jill

Jill and Pete, the method y'all describe is how I'm used to cooking lamb
loin chops. I just wondered if there was anything different but just as
simple without going to any extreme(s) or major effort(s).

Luckily, I've never had to eat over-cooked lamb (more than meduim
rare). But, lamb is so rarely served in my family, so I don't know much
otherwise. I do like the not-so-subtle flavor of the rosemary

Skyhooks, who misses her grandmother's cooking (sigh)
""aahhtt""
s b c g l o b a l
""ddoott""
n e t
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Bubbo wrote:

> Skyhooks wrote:
> > I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
> > thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>
> >
> > Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
> > pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce and/or
> > jelly??? TIA.
> >
> > Skyhooks
> > ""aahhtt""
> > s b c g l o b a l
> > ""ddoott""
> > n e t

> I do my lamb with garlic, rosemary and lemon zest, sear it then roast it a bit
> (sorry, i don't have specifics). Then I take it out of the oven, put them on a
> plate to rest. Deglaze the pan with red wine, let it reduce just a bit, turn
> off the heat and then add a tablespoon of butter per person whisking
> constantly.
>
> Plate the lamb and pour the sauce over it.
>
> Usually I serve it with mashed potatoes with burnt green onions and asparagus.
>
> --
> .:Heather:.
> www.velvet-c.com
> Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

Thanks, Heather. I wouldn't have thought to add lemon zest! Hm.... if
no lemon zest is immediately available, would a dash of RealLemon work
during the deglazing part after (or before?) the wine was applied???
Wouldn't hurt to try, that's for sure <g>.

Sky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Skyhooks" > wrote in message
> I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
> thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>
>
> Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
> pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce and/or
> jelly??? TIA.

Usually my husband does them on the grill seasoned with salt, pepper,garlic
and grills until medium rare. Here's a recipe I've saved though that IMHO
sounds good.

Chris in Pearland, TX

* Exported from MasterCook *

Molls' Garlic Lamb Chops

Recipe By :Laura & Richard Moll
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :1:00
Categories : Lamb

8 each lamb loin chops
3 cloves garlic
2 ounces butter
1/4 cup fresh parsley -- chopped
1/4 cup fresh mint
salt
fresh ground black pepper

Trim the fat from the chops. Cut garlic cloves into slivers. Brush chops
with butter. Make small cuts on the top of the chops and poke with garlic
and mint. Place chops in a roasting dish covered with foil, sprinkle with
parsley and season to taste. Cover chops with an additional piece of foil
and tuck down edges. Roast at 375 degrees for 35 minutes. To brown, remove
top foil for last five minutes of roasting. Garnish with fresh mint and
orange curls.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Skyhooks wrote:
>
> > I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
> > thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>
> >
> > Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
> > pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce and/or
> > jelly??? TIA.

> The first thing to two is to go out and get a couple more of them because
> lamb loin chops are so good you always want more. I never fry them. I
> either do them on the BBQ grill or in a grill pan. I rub the with garlic and
> mint sauce and let them sit for an hour or so, and then grill them until
> they are pink.

Yummy, Dave, but with inclement weather, grilling is not always an
option for me. So, I have to resort to pan-searing/frying with my
well-seasoned cast iron skillet and smoking up my kitchen during the
process! I'll add the garlic rub - sounds good to me! Medium-rare is
just right, with optional mint sauce/jelly - or maybe even a mayo/curry
mixture - as condiments

Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris Marksberry wrote:

> "Skyhooks" > wrote in message
> > I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
> > thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>
> >
> > Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
> > pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce and/or
> > jelly??? TIA.

> Usually my husband does them on the grill seasoned with salt, pepper,garlic
> and grills until medium rare. Here's a recipe I've saved though that IMHO
> sounds good.
>
> Chris in Pearland, TX
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Molls' Garlic Lamb Chops
>
> Recipe By :Laura & Richard Moll
> Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :1:00
> Categories : Lamb

> 8 each lamb loin chops
> 3 cloves garlic
> 2 ounces butter
> 1/4 cup fresh parsley -- chopped
> 1/4 cup fresh mint
> salt
> fresh ground black pepper
>
> Trim the fat from the chops. Cut garlic cloves into slivers. Brush chops
> with butter. Make small cuts on the top of the chops and poke with garlic
> and mint. Place chops in a roasting dish covered with foil, sprinkle with
> parsley and season to taste. Cover chops with an additional piece of foil
> and tuck down edges. Roast at 375 degrees for 35 minutes. To brown, remove
> top foil for last five minutes of roasting. Garnish with fresh mint and
> orange curls.

Thanks for sharing, Chris. I wouldn't have considered parsley, but it
makes sense. Thanks for the suggestion and the recipe

Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking
MG MG is offline

"Skyhooks" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Pete C. wrote:

>> > I can only suggest avoiding the mint sauce / jelly. Lamb tastes too
>> > good to mask with mint anything. Just a pinch of salt and pepper
>> > perhaps if even that.
>> >
>> > Pete C.

>> Agreed. And the only type of lamb chops I buy are the loin chops. Much
>> more bang for the buck than those tiny shoulder chops.
>>
>> Grill or broil the chops, rare. No more than medium rare, that's for
>> sure.
>> A little brushing of olive oil and some crushed rosemary is about the
>> only
>> other thing I'd suggest in the way of "treatment" other than salt &
>> pepper.
>>
>> Jill

> Jill and Pete, the method y'all describe is how I'm used to cooking lamb
> loin chops. I just wondered if there was anything different but just as
> simple without going to any extreme(s) or major effort(s).
>
> Luckily, I've never had to eat over-cooked lamb (more than meduim
> rare). But, lamb is so rarely served in my family, so I don't know much
> otherwise. I do like the not-so-subtle flavor of the rosemary
>
> Skyhooks, who misses her grandmother's cooking (sigh)
> ""aahhtt""
> s b c g l o b a l
> ""ddoott""
> n e t

a little salt, pepper, EVOO and crushed dried oregano leaves (or fresh)

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default lamb loin chops (???) - Try This

Try this. We love it.

Lamb Chops with Cumin

Recipe By : Frugal Gourmet
Serving Size : 3 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Lamb Main Dishes

6 lamb chops
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic -- crushed
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup beef stock
1/4 cup cream
1/8 teaspoon cumin
salt and pepper -- to taste
parsley

Heat a frying pan large enough to hold the chops, add olive oil. Sear chops
4-5 minutes on each side until medium rare. Do not overcook. Remove to hot
platter and keep warm.
Drain any fat from pan. Add garlic and rub in pan for a moment. Deglaze
pan with wine, scraping up the brown bits. Add stock and cream, boil until
reduced to syrupy consistency (sauce will darken). Add cumin, salt and
pepper to taste.
Pour over chops on heated platter, garnish with chopped parsley.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Skyhooks" > wrote in message
>I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
> thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>
>
> Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
> pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce and/or
> jelly??? TIA.
>
> Skyhooks
> ""aahhtt""
> s b c g l o b a l
> ""ddoott""
> n e t

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks wrote:

> Yummy, Dave, but with inclement weather, grilling is not always an
> option for me. So, I have to resort to pan-searing/frying with my
> well-seasoned cast iron skillet and smoking up my kitchen during the
> process!

We get more than our share of non BBQ weather here. A few years ago I bought a
cast iron grill pan and it has turned out to be an excellent alternative to the
outdoor grill. It can still set off the smoke detector.

> I'll add the garlic rub - sounds good to me! Medium-rare is
> just right, with optional mint sauce/jelly - or maybe even a mayo/curry
> mixture - as condiments

Sauce, not jelly. If you can't find a good one at a reasonable price you can heat
up some vinegar and brown sugar and add mint and let it steep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith"

> Skyhooks wrote:
>> I'll add the garlic rub - sounds good to me! Medium-rare is
>> just right, with optional mint sauce/jelly - or maybe even a mayo/curry
>> mixture - as condiments

> Sauce, not jelly. If you can't find a good one at a reasonable price you
> can heat
> up some vinegar and brown sugar and add mint and let it steep.

Right, Dave - absolutely no yucky mint jelly. Fortunately, I have a (very
invasive) mint patch, which comes in really handy for mint sauce and iced
tea. I always made the mint sauce when I was in the UK - my mother didn't
have the patience to snip it finely. I'm the only one who loves lamb,
especially lamb loin chops. When you cook them on the indoor grill, do you
cut away as much of the fat as possible? I think that's why mine splatter
and throw grease everywhere. Trouble is, the fat helps flavour the meat,
IMHO.

Dora