Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to keep frozen bread, muffins from getting soggy when thawing?

I like to keep a package or two of muffins and bread in the freezer, so
don't have to go to the store when run out. But if in the freezer very
long, the bread gets frost and ice buildup. Anything to do to let the bread
thaw, and prevent some of it from getting soggy? Maybe lay out on paper
towel for a while?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 20:44:24 -0500, "Somebody" >
wrote:

>I like to keep a package or two of muffins and bread in the freezer, so
>don't have to go to the store when run out. But if in the freezer very
>long, the bread gets frost and ice buildup. Anything to do to let the bread
>thaw, and prevent some of it from getting soggy? Maybe lay out on paper
>towel for a while?

In my experience, I just take it out of the freezer and leave it alone
for overnight or for a day. The ice crystals apparently melt and are
reabsorbed into the bread. There are no soggy or wet spots. When
thawing bread you must leave it in its covering until completely
thawed and at room temperature.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> In my experience, I just take it out of the freezer and leave it alone
> for overnight or for a day. The ice crystals apparently melt and are
> reabsorbed into the bread. There are no soggy or wet spots. When
> thawing bread you must leave it in its covering until completely
> thawed and at room temperature.
> Janet US

I usually don't leave them in the freezer too long, but it got pushed to the
back and had lot of ice on it (though fridge is frost free). Well, bread is
cheap so no biggie. I usually leave in the bag too and don't worry about
it, but been out of english muffins for a few days and had a hankering for
one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Somebody" > wrote in message
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>
>> In my experience, I just take it out of the freezer and leave it alone
>> for overnight or for a day. The ice crystals apparently melt and are
>> reabsorbed into the bread. There are no soggy or wet spots. When
>> thawing bread you must leave it in its covering until completely
>> thawed and at room temperature.
>> Janet US

> I usually don't leave them in the freezer too long, but it got pushed to
> the back and had lot of ice on it (though fridge is frost free). Well,
> bread is cheap so no biggie. I usually leave in the bag too and don't
> worry about it, but been out of english muffins for a few days and had a
> hankering for one.

Wrap it in a nice coat of paper towels. They will absorb the extra
moisture. NOT wasteful - you can still use the paper towels and the
bread/muffins won't have a damp texture. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Somebody wrote:
> I like to keep a package or two of muffins and bread in the freezer,
> so don't have to go to the store when run out. But if in the freezer
> very long, the bread gets frost and ice buildup. Anything to do to
> let the bread thaw, and prevent some of it from getting soggy? Maybe
> lay out on paper towel for a while?

When I used to freeze gluten free products for my daughter, I portioned
everything out into freezer bags and then put the small bags into a large
freezer bag.