Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Favorite thing to do with Phyllo?

I found some whole wheat Phyllo dough at PCC Market. I didn't even know
such a thing existed! So now... What to make with it?

In the old days I might have made Baklava. I love the stuff! But I can't
have butter now and really shouldn't have sugar either. I have also made
various filled pastries. And little nests which I filled with an apple pie
type filling. I am thinking I might go with those. Daughter has been on a
baked apple kick. I bake the slices with cinnamon, a little salt, a little
Nucoa and some brown sugar Splenda. Yes, I know there is actual sugar in
that but I only use a small amount.

Something savory would be nice as well, but not sure what. I have tried
Spanokopita in the past and although I liked the idea of it, I didn't like
the end result. I do remember making something with a black olive filling
in it but I don't have that recipe any more. I made some things to take to
a potluck at work and this woman who hates olives was wolfing them down.
She thought the filling was mushroom! Ha! I wish I could remember what was
in those because they really were good.

So... What do you do with your Phyllo?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> I found some whole wheat Phyllo dough at PCC Market. I didn't even
> know such a thing existed! So now... What to make with it?

Cut into squares, put fruit compote in the center (frozen fruit with
some sugar added is our usual choice, not exactly "compote" but still
does the job), fold the corners over into the center, and bake on 350
until golden brown.

If you've got fruit in the house in almost any form, this couldn't be
simpler - we make it using frozen phyllo.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in
:

> I found some whole wheat Phyllo dough at PCC Market. I didn't even
> know such a thing existed! So now... What to make with it?

> Something savory would be nice as well, but not sure what.
>
> So... What do you do with your Phyllo?

I make these with either filo, or wonton wrappers (just as good).
*Excellent* party finger food.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy...Quiche-Recipe/

http://tinypic.com/m/dncd4l/3

http://tinypic.com/m/biw9b6/3

http://tinypic.com/m/biw9b8/3

The original idea came from Koko (on here).

--
Peter
Brisbane

To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one.
It is rather and endless struggle
that will go on to the very last moment of our lives.
Nobody is born a warrior,in exactly the same way that
nobody is born an average man.
We have to make ourselves into one or the other.
A warrior must only take care that his spirit is not broken.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in
:

> I found some whole wheat Phyllo dough at PCC Market. I didn't even
> know such a thing existed! So now... What to make with it?

> Something savory would be nice as well, but not sure what.
>
> So... What do you do with your Phyllo?

I make these with either filo, or wonton wrappers (just as good).
*Excellent* party finger food.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy...Quiche-Recipe/

http://tinypic.com/m/dncd4l/3

http://tinypic.com/m/biw9b6/3

http://tinypic.com/m/biw9b8/3

The original idea came from Koko (on here).

--
Peter
Brisbane
Australia

To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one.
It is rather and endless struggle
that will go on to the very last moment of our lives.
Nobody is born a warrior,in exactly the same way that
nobody is born an average man.
We have to make ourselves into one or the other.
A warrior must only take care that his spirit is not broken.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in
:

> I found some whole wheat Phyllo dough at PCC Market. I didn't even
> know such a thing existed! So now... What to make with it?

> Something savory would be nice as well, but not sure what.
>
> So... What do you do with your Phyllo?

I make these with either filo, or wonton wrappers (just as good).
*Excellent* party finger food.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy...Quiche-Recipe/

http://tinypic.com/m/dncd4l/3

http://tinypic.com/m/biw9b6/3

http://tinypic.com/m/biw9b8/3

The original idea came from Koko (on here).

--
Peter
Brisbane
Australia

To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one.
It is rather and endless struggle
that will go on to the very last moment of our lives.
Nobody is born a warrior,in exactly the same way that
nobody is born an average man.
We have to make ourselves into one or the other.
A warrior must only take care that his spirit is not broken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> I found some whole wheat Phyllo dough at PCC Market. I didn't even
>> know such a thing existed! So now... What to make with it?

> Cut into squares, put fruit compote in the center (frozen fruit with some
> sugar added is our usual choice, not exactly "compote" but still does the
> job), fold the corners over into the center, and bake on 350 until golden
> brown.
>
> If you've got fruit in the house in almost any form, this couldn't be
> simpler - we make it using frozen phyllo.
>
> -S-

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"I'm back" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in
> :
>
>> I found some whole wheat Phyllo dough at PCC Market. I didn't even
>> know such a thing existed! So now... What to make with it?

>> Something savory would be nice as well, but not sure what.
>>
>> So... What do you do with your Phyllo?
>>

> I make these with either filo, or wonton wrappers (just as good).
> *Excellent* party finger food.
>

> http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy...Quiche-Recipe/
>

> http://tinypic.com/m/dncd4l/3
>
> http://tinypic.com/m/biw9b6/3
>
> http://tinypic.com/m/biw9b8/3
>

> The original idea came from Koko (on here).

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 2:10*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> I found some whole wheat Phyllo dough at PCC Market. *I didn't even know
> such a thing existed! *So now... *What to make with it?
>
> In the old days I might have made Baklava. *I love the stuff! *But I can't
> have butter now and really shouldn't have sugar either. *I have also made
> various filled pastries. *And little nests which I filled with an apple pie
> type filling. *I am thinking I might go with those. *Daughter has been on a
> baked apple kick. *I bake the slices with cinnamon, a little salt, a little
> Nucoa and some brown sugar Splenda. *Yes, I know there is actual sugar in
> that but I only use a small amount.
>
> Something savory would be nice as well, but not sure what. *I have tried
> Spanokopita in the past and although I liked the idea of it, I didn't like
> the end result. *I do remember making something with a black olive filling
> in it but I don't have that recipe any more. *I made some things to take to
> a potluck at work and this woman who hates olives was wolfing them down.
> She thought the filling was mushroom! *Ha! *I wish I could remember what was
> in those because they really were good.
>
> So... *What do you do with your Phyllo?

Apple strudel the easy way is the only thing I do with filo. Basically
the same as you with your nests, except for adding plumped golden
raisins, and sprinkling breadcrumbs to soak up the butter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 3:29*pm, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2:10*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>

> > I found some whole wheat Phyllo dough at PCC Market. *I didn't even know
> > such a thing existed! *So now... *What to make with it?

> > In the old days I might have made Baklava. *I love the stuff! *But I can't
> > have butter now and really shouldn't have sugar either. *I have also made
> > various filled pastries. *And little nests which I filled with an apple pie
> > type filling. *I am thinking I might go with those. *Daughter has been on a
> > baked apple kick. *I bake the slices with cinnamon, a little salt, a little
> > Nucoa and some brown sugar Splenda. *Yes, I know there is actual sugar in
> > that but I only use a small amount.

> > Something savory would be nice as well, but not sure what. *I have tried
> > Spanokopita in the past and although I liked the idea of it, I didn't like
> > the end result. *I do remember making something with a black olive filling
> > in it but I don't have that recipe any more. *I made some things to take to
> > a potluck at work and this woman who hates olives was wolfing them down..
> > She thought the filling was mushroom! *Ha! *I wish I could remember what was
> > in those because they really were good.

> > So... *What do you do with your Phyllo?

> Apple strudel the easy way is the only thing I do with filo. Basically
> the same as you with your nests, except for adding plumped golden
> raisins, and sprinkling breadcrumbs to soak up the butter.

Speaking of spreading on butter...I dated a hot blonde with the
nickname of Phyllo.....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:10:39 AM UTC-8, Julie Bove wrote:
> I found some whole wheat Phyllo dough at PCC Market. I didn't even know
>
> such a thing existed! So now... What to make with it?
>

> In the old days I might have made Baklava. I love the stuff! But I can't
>
> have butter now and really shouldn't have sugar either. I have also made
>
> various filled pastries. And little nests which I filled with an apple pie
>
> type filling. I am thinking I might go with those. Daughter has been on a
>
> baked apple kick. I bake the slices with cinnamon, a little salt, a little
>
> Nucoa and some brown sugar Splenda. Yes, I know there is actual sugar in
>
> that but I only use a small amount.
>

> Something savory would be nice as well, but not sure what. I have tried
>
> Spanokopita in the past and although I liked the idea of it, I didn't like
>
> the end result. I do remember making something with a black olive filling
>
> in it but I don't have that recipe any more. I made some things to take to
>
> a potluck at work and this woman who hates olives was wolfing them down.
>
> She thought the filling was mushroom! Ha! I wish I could remember what was
>
> in those because they really were good.
>

> So... What do you do with your Phyllo?

Beef Wellington
Piroshki/meat pies/empanadas
Pizza/calzoni?
Bake as is and then serve instead of bread with caviar, smoked fish, good salami. Use sour cream, creme freche, mascarpone, whipped butter, or cream cheese.
Napoleon pastry, baklava
In all pastries and cakes instead of/along with regular dough

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in
:

> I found some whole wheat Phyllo dough at PCC Market. I didn't even
> know such a thing existed! So now... What to make with it?

> Something savory would be nice as well, but not sure what.
>
> So... What do you do with your Phyllo?

I make these with either filo, or wonton wrappers (just as good).
*Excellent* party finger food.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy...Quiche-Recipe/

http://tinypic.com/m/dncd4l/3

http://tinypic.com/m/biw9b6/3

http://tinypic.com/m/biw9b8/3

The original idea came from Koko (on here).

--
Peter
Brisbane
Australia

To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one.
It is rather and endless struggle
that will go on to the very last moment of our lives.
Nobody is born a warrior,in exactly the same way that
nobody is born an average man.
We have to make ourselves into one or the other.
A warrior must only take care that his spirit is not broken.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 4:08*pm, "I'm back" > wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote :
>
> > I found some whole wheat Phyllo dough at PCC Market. *I didn't even
> > know such a thing existed! *So now... *What to make with it?

> > Something savory would be nice as well, but not sure what.

> > So... *What do you do with your Phyllo?

> I make these with either filo, or wonton wrappers (just as good).
> *Excellent* party finger food.
>
> http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy...Quiche-Recipe/
>
> http://tinypic.com/m/dncd4l/3
>
> http://tinypic.com/m/biw9b6/3
>
> http://tinypic.com/m/biw9b8/3
>
> The original idea came from Koko (on here).
>
> --
> Peter
> Brisbane
> Australia
>
> To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one.
> It is rather and endless struggle
> that will go on to the very last moment of our lives.
> Nobody is born a warrior,in exactly the same way that
> nobody is born an average man.
> We have to make ourselves into one or the other.
> A warrior must only take care that his spirit is not broken.

You already told us all this.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo > wrote in
:

> On Dec 4, 4:08*pm, "I'm back" > wrote:
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote
>> innews:k9ki70$1i3$1@dont-emai

> l.me:
>>
>> > I found some whole wheat Phyllo dough at PCC Market. *I didn't even
>> > know such a thing existed! *So now... *What to make with it?

>> > Something savory would be nice as well, but not sure what.

>> > So... *What do you do with your Phyllo?

>> I make these with either filo, or wonton wrappers (just as good).
>> *Excellent* party finger food.
>>
>> http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy...Quiche-Recipe/
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/m/dncd4l/3
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/m/biw9b6/3
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/m/biw9b8/3
>>
>> The original idea came from Koko (on here).
>>

> You already told us all this.

Apologies....... it didn't 'send' as it should at this end. And never
showed on the group, so I resent.

--
Peter
Brisbane
Australia

To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one.
It is rather and endless struggle
that will go on to the very last moment of our lives.
Nobody is born a warrior,in exactly the same way that
nobody is born an average man.
We have to make ourselves into one or the other.
A warrior must only take care that his spirit is not broken.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo > wrote in
:

> On Dec 4, 4:08*pm, "I'm back" > wrote:
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote
>> innews:k9ki70$1i3$1@dont-emai

> l.me:
>>
>> > I found some whole wheat Phyllo dough at PCC Market. *I didn't even
>> > know such a thing existed! *So now... *What to make with it?

>> > Something savory would be nice as well, but not sure what.

>> > So... *What do you do with your Phyllo?

>> I make these with either filo, or wonton wrappers (just as good).
>> *Excellent* party finger food.
>>
>> http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy...Quiche-Recipe/
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/m/dncd4l/3
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/m/biw9b6/3
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/m/biw9b8/3
>>
>> The original idea came from Koko (on here).
>>

> You already told us all this.

Re the repeats........ it's a tad windy and rainified here at the
moment, and it seems to play up with the wireless dongle signal a bit.

--
Peter
Brisbane
Australia

To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one.
It is rather and endless struggle
that will go on to the very last moment of our lives.
Nobody is born a warrior,in exactly the same way that
nobody is born an average man.
We have to make ourselves into one or the other.
A warrior must only take care that his spirit is not broken.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2:10 am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> I found some whole wheat Phyllo dough at PCC Market. I didn't even
>> know such a thing existed! So now... What to make with it?
>>
>> In the old days I might have made Baklava. I love the stuff! But I
>> can't have butter now and really shouldn't have sugar either. I have
>> also made various filled pastries. And little nests which I filled
>> with an apple pie type filling. I am thinking I might go with those.
>> Daughter has been on a baked apple kick. I bake the slices with
>> cinnamon, a little salt, a little Nucoa and some brown sugar
>> Splenda. Yes, I know there is actual sugar in that but I only use a
>> small amount.
>>
>> Something savory would be nice as well, but not sure what. I have
>> tried Spanokopita in the past and although I liked the idea of it, I
>> didn't like the end result. I do remember making something with a
>> black olive filling in it but I don't have that recipe any more. I
>> made some things to take to a potluck at work and this woman who
>> hates olives was wolfing them down. She thought the filling was
>> mushroom! Ha! I wish I could remember what was in those because they
>> really were good.
>>
>> So... What do you do with your Phyllo?

> Apple strudel the easy way is the only thing I do with filo. Basically
> the same as you with your nests, except for adding plumped golden
> raisins, and sprinkling breadcrumbs to soak up the butter.

I used to make that years ago but I think I used puff pastry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:10:39 AM UTC-8, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I found some whole wheat Phyllo dough at PCC Market. I didn't even
>> know
>>
>> such a thing existed! So now... What to make with it?
>>

>> In the old days I might have made Baklava. I love the stuff! But I
>> can't
>>
>> have butter now and really shouldn't have sugar either. I have also
>> made
>>
>> various filled pastries. And little nests which I filled with an
>> apple pie
>>
>> type filling. I am thinking I might go with those. Daughter has
>> been on a
>>
>> baked apple kick. I bake the slices with cinnamon, a little salt, a
>> little
>>
>> Nucoa and some brown sugar Splenda. Yes, I know there is actual
>> sugar in
>>
>> that but I only use a small amount.
>>

>> Something savory would be nice as well, but not sure what. I have
>> tried
>>
>> Spanokopita in the past and although I liked the idea of it, I
>> didn't like
>>
>> the end result. I do remember making something with a black olive
>> filling
>>
>> in it but I don't have that recipe any more. I made some things to
>> take to
>>
>> a potluck at work and this woman who hates olives was wolfing them
>> down.
>>
>> She thought the filling was mushroom! Ha! I wish I could remember
>> what was
>>
>> in those because they really were good.
>>

>> So... What do you do with your Phyllo?

> Beef Wellington
> Piroshki/meat pies/empanadas
> Pizza/calzoni?
> Bake as is and then serve instead of bread with caviar, smoked fish,
> good salami. Use sour cream, creme freche, mascarpone, whipped
> butter, or cream cheese. Napoleon pastry, baklava
> In all pastries and cakes instead of/along with regular dough

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo wrote:
> On Dec 4, 4:08 pm, "I'm back" > wrote:
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote
>> :
>>
>>> I found some whole wheat Phyllo dough at PCC Market. I didn't even
>>> know such a thing existed! So now... What to make with it?

>>> Something savory would be nice as well, but not sure what.

>>> So... What do you do with your Phyllo?

>> I make these with either filo, or wonton wrappers (just as good).
>> *Excellent* party finger food.
>>
>> http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy...Quiche-Recipe/
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/m/dncd4l/3
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/m/biw9b6/3
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/m/biw9b8/3
>>
>> The original idea came from Koko (on here).
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>> Brisbane
>> Australia
>>
>> To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one.
>> It is rather and endless struggle
>> that will go on to the very last moment of our lives.
>> Nobody is born a warrior,in exactly the same way that
>> nobody is born an average man.
>> We have to make ourselves into one or the other.
>> A warrior must only take care that his spirit is not broken.

> You already told us all this.

I thought so too!