Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Okay, Thunderbird config is almost done

How do I easily delete all the political crap I don't care about? It is
n ones business who I voted for and I don't care who anyone else voted
for, either. This is a cooking newsgroup, not alt.politics.

At least with Windows mail I could simply highlight the unwanted threads
and click the DELETE button on the keyboard.

Yes, I've tried their unhelpful "help".

OB Food: I'm supposed to go out to dinner tonight as a thank you for
cat-sitting for my neighbor. We'll see how the restaurant and food is.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

x-no-=archive: yes

On 11/8/2012 11:41 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> How do I easily delete all the political crap I don't care about? It is
> n ones business who I voted for and I don't care who anyone else voted
> for, either. This is a cooking newsgroup, not alt.politics.
>
> At least with Windows mail I could simply highlight the unwanted threads
> and click the DELETE button on the keyboard.
>
> Yes, I've tried their unhelpful "help".
>
> OB Food: I'm supposed to go out to dinner tonight as a thank you for
> cat-sitting for my neighbor. We'll see how the restaurant and food is.
>
> Jill

Right click on the thread header/title, scroll down to "mark" and choose
"thread as read." Each time.

If you want to deleted posters to those threads, you rt click on their
name/addy and choose "create filter."

Susan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/8/2012 11:41 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> How do I easily delete all the political crap I don't care about? It is
> n ones business who I voted for and I don't care who anyone else voted
> for, either. This is a cooking newsgroup, not alt.politics.
>
> At least with Windows mail I could simply highlight the unwanted threads
> and click the DELETE button on the keyboard.
>
> Yes, I've tried their unhelpful "help".

Click on 'message', then 'create filter from message'. You can filter
for all sorts of things that way.

If you want to kill an entire thread and never see it again, press 'k'.

If you simply want to mark the whole thread as read and move on to the
next one, press 't'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 11:41:54 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> How do I easily delete all the political crap I don't care about? It is
> n ones business who I voted for and I don't care who anyone else voted
> for, either. This is a cooking newsgroup, not alt.politics.
>
> At least with Windows mail I could simply highlight the unwanted threads
> and click the DELETE button on the keyboard.

Filter key words - My filters killed over 50 of almost 90 messages
before they showed up on my message list.

> Yes, I've tried their unhelpful "help".

Facebook's "Help" is a joke too; so I've learned that Google usually
has the answer I'm looking for and it's often a FB Help answer. Why I
can't find it via the FB searchbox is beyond me.

TBird's filters... it's not a traditional filter, it is a
"Bayesian" filter and has to be "trained"
http://www.ehow.com/about_5403594_ou...underbird.html

Did you see this
http://www.mentby.com/Group/support-...ng-in-tb3.html

or this http://tristesse.org/ThunderbirdAndNewsgroups

> OB Food: I'm supposed to go out to dinner tonight as a thank you for
> cat-sitting for my neighbor. We'll see how the restaurant and food is.
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> How do I easily delete all the political crap I don't care about? It is
> n ones business who I voted for and I don't care who anyone else voted
> for, either. This is a cooking newsgroup, not alt.politics.
>
> At least with Windows mail I could simply highlight the unwanted threads
> and click the DELETE button on the keyboard.
>
> Yes, I've tried their unhelpful "help".
>
> OB Food: I'm supposed to go out to dinner tonight as a thank you for
> cat-sitting for my neighbor. We'll see how the restaurant and food is.
>
> Jill

Click on a message in the thread and type 'k'. You might have to do
that more than once if the thread has several broken fragments.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Susan wrote:
> x-no-=archive: yes
>
> On 11/8/2012 11:41 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> How do I easily delete all the political crap I don't care about? It is
>> n ones business who I voted for and I don't care who anyone else voted
>> for, either. This is a cooking newsgroup, not alt.politics.
>>
>> At least with Windows mail I could simply highlight the unwanted threads
>> and click the DELETE button on the keyboard.
>>
>> Yes, I've tried their unhelpful "help".
>>
>> OB Food: I'm supposed to go out to dinner tonight as a thank you for
>> cat-sitting for my neighbor. We'll see how the restaurant and food is.
>>
>> Jill

> Right click on the thread header/title, scroll down to "mark" and choose
> "thread as read." Each time.
>
> If you want to deleted posters to those threads, you rt click on their
> name/addy and choose "create filter."
>
> Susan

I have only been able to kill what is already downloaded in
threads. Is that your experience?

Also, my experience is that I have only been able to create
filters based on posters if I open the miscreants' posts--which is
definitely suboptimal. (Then by clicking "message"-->create
filter...) Has T'bird improved on that since I switched to Seamonkey?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Susan wrote:
>> x-no-=archive: yes
>>
>> On 11/8/2012 11:41 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> How do I easily delete all the political crap I don't care about? It is
>>> n ones business who I voted for and I don't care who anyone else voted
>>> for, either. This is a cooking newsgroup, not alt.politics.
>>>
>>> At least with Windows mail I could simply highlight the unwanted threads
>>> and click the DELETE button on the keyboard.
>>>
>>> Yes, I've tried their unhelpful "help".
>>>
>>> OB Food: I'm supposed to go out to dinner tonight as a thank you for
>>> cat-sitting for my neighbor. We'll see how the restaurant and food is.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Right click on the thread header/title, scroll down to "mark" and
>> choose "thread as read." Each time.
>>
>> If you want to deleted posters to those threads, you rt click on their
>> name/addy and choose "create filter."
>>
>> Susan

> I have only been able to kill what is already downloaded in threads. Is
> that your experience?
>
> Also, my experience is that I have only been able to create filters
> based on posters if I open the miscreants' posts--which is definitely
> suboptimal. (Then by clicking "message"-->create filter...) Has T'bird
> improved on that since I switched to Seamonkey?

I am using Tbird 2.0.0.23 (it doesn't claim to work with Win7x64 but it
does.) Use 'k' to kill the threads instead of just marking them read
and new messages arriving in the same thread will also be marked.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/8/2012 12:30 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> How do I easily delete all the political crap I don't care about? It
>> is n ones business who I voted for and I don't care who anyone else
>> voted for, either. This is a cooking newsgroup, not alt.politics.
>>
>> At least with Windows mail I could simply highlight the unwanted
>> threads and click the DELETE button on the keyboard.
>>
>> Yes, I've tried their unhelpful "help".
>>
>> OB Food: I'm supposed to go out to dinner tonight as a thank you for
>> cat-sitting for my neighbor. We'll see how the restaurant and food is.
>>
>> Jill

> Click on a message in the thread and type 'k'. You might have to do
> that more than once if the thread has several broken fragments.
>
> Bob

Yay Bob! That works to get rid of all the political crap postings that
don't belong in this newsgroup! Thank you very much

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/8/2012 1:27 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 11:41:54 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> How do I easily delete all the political crap I don't care about? It is
>> n ones business who I voted for and I don't care who anyone else voted
>> for, either. This is a cooking newsgroup, not alt.politics.
>>
>> At least with Windows mail I could simply highlight the unwanted threads
>> and click the DELETE button on the keyboard.
>>
>> Yes, I've tried their unhelpful "help".
>>
>> OB Food: I'm supposed to go out to dinner tonight as a thank you for
>> cat-sitting for my neighbor. We'll see how the restaurant and food is.
>>
>> Jill

> Press 'K' to kill the thread. And set your view to "Threads with
> unread".
>
> -sw

And thank you Steve. Yes, that works now that I can actually use this
as a news reader.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John J wrote:

> Jill wrote:
>
> > Jon J wrote:
> >> Ok, let's all pull out our lighters and celebrate Susan's kill file.
> >> (So she can finally stop talking about it.)
> >>

> >I'm betting you're in it.

> Lol, me too.

Can I join your gang?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/11/2012 10:41 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>> I hope I am in swertz, and bidnits. I would consider it an honor to
>> be in
>> their kfs... I might get a tshirt printed saying that.
>>

> What the heck, make it a coffee mug

I want one of those mugs. I feel so dirty at the thought that responding
to any of my posts is a symptom of his need for attention.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> Susan wrote:
>>> x-no-=archive: yes

>>> Right click on the thread header/title, scroll down to "mark" and
>>> choose "thread as read." Each time.
>>>
>>> If you want to deleted posters to those threads, you rt click on
>>> their name/addy and choose "create filter."
>>>
>>> Susan

>> I have only been able to kill what is already downloaded in threads.
>> Is that your experience?
>>
>> Also, my experience is that I have only been able to create filters
>> based on posters if I open the miscreants' posts--which is definitely
>> suboptimal. (Then by clicking "message"-->create filter...) Has
>> T'bird improved on that since I switched to Seamonkey?

> I am using Tbird 2.0.0.23 (it doesn't claim to work with Win7x64 but it
> does.) Use 'k' to kill the threads instead of just marking them read
> and new messages arriving in the same thread will also be marked.
>
> Bob

I will see whether that functions on Seamonkey.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> John J wrote:
>>
>> Jill wrote: