Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (OT) Thunderbird (again)

I'd love to use this newsreader because of the proper quoting. But I
can't figure out how to get it to sort the view the way I'm used to. I
want the display (view) to be threads dated with the most recent posts
first (descending). I don't care who the poster is and I don't are what
the subject is. Fussing with the view > sort settings isn't achieving
the desired results. I'm not even sure it's possible with this application.

Any Thunderbird experts willing to walk me through this via email?
Otherwise I really will have to go back to Windows Mail and to hell with
the quoting issue. Thanks in advance

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/5/2012 12:09 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> I'd love to use this newsreader because of the proper quoting. But I
> can't figure out how to get it to sort the view the way I'm used to. I
> want the display (view) to be threads dated with the most recent posts
> first (descending). I don't care who the poster is and I don't are what
> the subject is. Fussing with the view > sort settings isn't achieving
> the desired results. I'm not even sure it's possible with this
> application.
>
> Any Thunderbird experts willing to walk me through this via email?
> Otherwise I really will have to go back to Windows Mail and to hell with
> the quoting issue. Thanks in advance
>
> Jill

I use view--> threads with unread. I don't see where bubbling newer to
the top making a lot of sense in a threaded view.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/5/2012 1:11 PM, George wrote:
> On 9/5/2012 12:09 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> I'd love to use this newsreader because of the proper quoting. But I
>> can't figure out how to get it to sort the view the way I'm used to. I
>> want the display (view) to be threads dated with the most recent posts
>> first (descending). I don't care who the poster is and I don't are what
>> the subject is. Fussing with the view > sort settings isn't achieving
>> the desired results. I'm not even sure it's possible with this
>> application.
>>
>> Any Thunderbird experts willing to walk me through this via email?
>> Otherwise I really will have to go back to Windows Mail and to hell with
>> the quoting issue. Thanks in advance
>>
>> Jill

> I use view--> threads with unread. I don't see where bubbling newer to
> the top making a lot of sense in a threaded view.

<but you can do that by clicking on date>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/5/2012 11:09 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> I'd love to use this newsreader because of the proper quoting. But I
> can't figure out how to get it to sort the view the way I'm used to. I
> want the display (view) to be threads dated with the most recent posts
> first (descending). I don't care who the poster is and I don't are what
> the subject is. Fussing with the view > sort settings isn't achieving
> the desired results. I'm not even sure it's possible with this
> application.
>
> Any Thunderbird experts willing to walk me through this via email?
> Otherwise I really will have to go back to Windows Mail and to hell with
> the quoting issue. Thanks in advance
>
> Jill

Here's my set up: view>sort by>order received, ascending, threaded
view>thread>unread

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" wrote in message ...

On 9/5/2012 12:09 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> I'd love to use this newsreader because of the proper quoting. But I
> can't figure out how to get it to sort the view the way I'm used to. I
> want the display (view) to be threads dated with the most recent posts
> first (descending). I don't care who the poster is and I don't are what
> the subject is. Fussing with the view > sort settings isn't achieving
> the desired results. I'm not even sure it's possible with this
> application.
>
> Any Thunderbird experts willing to walk me through this via email?
> Otherwise I really will have to go back to Windows Mail and to hell with
> the quoting issue. Thanks in advance
>
> Jill

I use view--> threads with unread. I don't see where bubbling newer to
the top making a lot of sense in a threaded view.

I don't want to see something posted last January at the top of the page
when it's September. Or perhaps because someone decided to reply to a post
that is 12 months old. Perhaps I'm using the term threaded differently. I
want to see all replies, regardless of poster, sorted by most recently
posted topic.

I don't even see your reply to my post in Thunderbird. I'm reading this
using Windows Mail. Guess I'm going back to Windows Mail because this
interface is entirely too clumsy. It doesn't suit my needs at all. So
screw proper quoting. I'll do my best to make it readable but this is just
not working for me. Thanks.

Jill
Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/5/2012 12:09 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I'd love to use this newsreader because of the proper quoting. But I
> can't figure out how to get it to sort the view the way I'm used to. I
> want the display (view) to be threads dated with the most recent posts
> first (descending). I don't care who the poster is and I don't are what
> the subject is. Fussing with the view > sort settings isn't achieving
> the desired results. I'm not even sure it's possible with this
> application.

It can do what you want. I like the posts to each appear as it's
made, not clumped into a thread, but you can do it either way.

On the line that says Subject, to the left, do you see a star? To
the left of that I have a little doodad that will change the way the
posts show, threaded or not. Click till it's how you want it.

I like newer posts on the bottom, but if I wanted them on the top,
I'd click on Date to show posts in that order.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote in message

On 9/5/2012 12:09 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I'd love to use this newsreader because of the proper quoting. But I
> can't figure out how to get it to sort the view the way I'm used to. I
> want the display (view) to be threads dated with the most recent posts
> first (descending). I don't care who the poster is and I don't are what
> the subject is. Fussing with the view > sort settings isn't achieving
> the desired results. I'm not even sure it's possible with this
> application.

It can do what you want. I like the posts to each appear as it's
made, not clumped into a thread, but you can do it either way.

On the line that says Subject, to the left, do you see a star? To
the left of that I have a little doodad that will change the way the
posts show, threaded or not. Click till it's how you want it.

I like newer posts on the bottom, but if I wanted them on the top,
I'd click on Date to show posts in that order.

nancy

I launched it again, looked. Nope, I don't see a star next to anything. It
tries to FLAG everything for me, which I also don't want. Every time I
start it up, seems like it's in a different order. I do NOT like
Thunderbird. It's the most user unfriendly interface I've ever tried. I
couldn't see your reply (even after getting "next 500 headers" nor George's
reply). I can see them perfectly well in Windows Mail. Sorry, Thunderbird
loses for now.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/5/2012 7:48 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> I launched it again, looked. Nope, I don't see a star next to
> anything. It tries to FLAG everything for me, which I also don't want.
> Every time I start it up, seems like it's in a different order. I do
> NOT like Thunderbird. It's the most user unfriendly interface I've ever
> tried. I couldn't see your reply (even after getting "next 500 headers"
> nor George's reply). I can see them perfectly well in Windows Mail.
> Sorry, Thunderbird loses for now.
>
> Jill

It's a bitch alright. Make sure that you don't have the subject list in
tree view since that messes up sorting by date. Click on the funny
stairstep icon to the left of the subject heading. It's the tiny little
box next to the star. Clicking on that toggles the tree view on and off.
Once you you have that off, clicking the date heading will sort by date
ascending and descending. Good luck!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/5/2012 1:48 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> "Nancy Young" wrote in message

> On the line that says Subject, to the left, do you see a star? To
> the left of that I have a little doodad that will change the way the
> posts show, threaded or not. Click till it's how you want it.
>
> I like newer posts on the bottom, but if I wanted them on the top,
> I'd click on Date to show posts in that order.

> I launched it again, looked. Nope, I don't see a star next to
> anything. It tries to FLAG everything for me, which I also don't want.
> Every time I start it up, seems like it's in a different order. I do
> NOT like Thunderbird. It's the most user unfriendly interface I've ever
> tried. I couldn't see your reply (even after getting "next 500 headers"
> nor George's reply). I can see them perfectly well in Windows Mail.
> Sorry, Thunderbird loses for now.

No skin off my teeth, but like anything, it takes a bit to get the way
you want it. Do you have a line that says Subject? somewhere on that
line should be other little icons.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

> Here's my set up: view>sort by>order received, ascending, threaded
> view>thread>unread

Then Jill needs to choose 'by order received' That's sorting by date. And
also choose 'unread' if that's another option.

Again.....Netscape 4.7 folks! It's all you need for this. I tried
Thunderbird once and it's about the same but different features that I
didn't care for.

G.