Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Thunderbird

I'm not the only one who is irritated with Thunderbird. I tried to update
the next XX million messages and now it won't show me a single posting from
rfc.
What an irritating newsreader!

Oh, and it tried to take over my email account again, too. I had deleted
all the email settings; Thunderbird put them right back. Today after
receiving 117 messages I deleted the email account completely. I retained
the newsgroup accounts. Now I can't see any rfc postings. The way they're
screwing around with this software is seriously ****ing me off. Someone in
their QA department should be fired.

OB Food: Maybe you saw the post, maybe you didn't. It's not letting me
view a damn thing coming from rfc. I'm going to grill some bratwurst, and
some yellow squash from the vegetable stand. If it rains (looks like it
might, again) I'll wind up cooking both indoors. Might make some egg
noodles to go with it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/20/2012 10:33 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> I'm not the only one who is irritated with Thunderbird. I tried to
> update the next XX million messages and now it won't show me a single
> posting from rfc.
> What an irritating newsreader!
>
> Oh, and it tried to take over my email account again, too. I had
> deleted all the email settings; Thunderbird put them right back. Today
> after receiving 117 messages I deleted the email account completely. I
> retained the newsgroup accounts. Now I can't see any rfc postings. The
> way they're screwing around with this software is seriously ****ing me
> off. Someone in their QA department should be fired.
>
> OB Food: Maybe you saw the post, maybe you didn't. It's not letting me
> view a damn thing coming from rfc. I'm going to grill some bratwurst,
> and some yellow squash from the vegetable stand. If it rains (looks
> like it might, again) I'll wind up cooking both indoors. Might make
> some egg noodles to go with it.
>
> Jill

Hi Jill,

You tripped across two bugs in Th. The Mozilla foundation
is working on them.

Bug 1: there is a memory leak. You can tell when
this happens as things stop or are very slow to
respond. When this happens, just exit Th and restart
it

Bug 2: when all the posts seems to have disappeared,
just click on another newsgroup, let it load up, then
click back on the blank newsgroup. This happens to
me several times a day. First few times it was scary.
You get use to it.

And, remember the words of Mark Twain: if you get
frustrated, count to 10. If you get really frustrated,
swear. (Not an admission that I swear!) :-)

Happy cooking!
-T
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I'm not the only one who is irritated with Thunderbird. I tried to update
> the next XX million messages and now it won't show me a single posting from
> rfc.
> What an irritating newsreader!

I'll say it again....try Netscape 4.7 for email and newsgroups. It works so
good. You can find that old version via Google. Download it for free and
enjoy .

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 09/20/2012 10:33 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> I'm not the only one who is irritated with Thunderbird. I tried to
> update the next XX million messages and now it won't show me a single
> posting from rfc.
> What an irritating newsreader!
>
> Oh, and it tried to take over my email account again, too. I had
> deleted all the email settings; Thunderbird put them right back. Today
> after receiving 117 messages I deleted the email account completely. I
> retained the newsgroup accounts. Now I can't see any rfc postings. The
> way they're screwing around with this software is seriously ****ing me
> off. Someone in their QA department should be fired.
>
> OB Food: Maybe you saw the post, maybe you didn't. It's not letting me
> view a damn thing coming from rfc. I'm going to grill some bratwurst,
> and some yellow squash from the vegetable stand. If it rains (looks
> like it might, again) I'll wind up cooking both indoors. Might make
> some egg noodles to go with it.
>
> Jill

Hi Jill,

You tripped across two bugs in Th. The Mozilla foundation
is working on them.

Bug 1: there is a memory leak. You can tell when
this happens as things stop or are very slow to
respond. When this happens, just exit Th and restart
it

Bug 2: when all the posts seems to have disappeared,
just click on another newsgroup, let it load up, then
click back on the blank newsgroup. This happens to
me several times a day. First few times it was scary.
You get use to it.

And, remember the words of Mark Twain: if you get
frustrated, count to 10. If you get really frustrated,
swear. (Not an admission that I swear!) :-)

Happy cooking!
-T
************

Thanks, Todd. I used to get *paid* to find bugs in software. I'm not happy
to do it for free.

I've uninstalled, reinstalled, launched and re launched. It's not making
any difference. Users shouldn't have to get used to programming bugs.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

jmcquown wrote:

> I'm not the only one who is irritated with Thunderbird. I tried to update
> the next XX million messages and now it won't show me a single posting
> from
> rfc.
> What an irritating newsreader!

I'll say it again....try Netscape 4.7 for email and newsgroups. It works so
good. You can find that old version via Google. Download it for free and
enjoy .

G.

Does it work with Windows 7?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2012 1:33 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> I'm not the only one who is irritated with Thunderbird. I tried to
> update the next XX million messages and now it won't show me a single
> posting from rfc.
> What an irritating newsreader!
>
> Oh, and it tried to take over my email account again, too. I had
> deleted all the email settings; Thunderbird put them right back. Today
> after receiving 117 messages I deleted the email account completely. I
> retained the newsgroup accounts. Now I can't see any rfc postings. The
> way they're screwing around with this software is seriously ****ing me
> off. Someone in their QA department should be fired.

I have used tbird on dozens of machines and I can't imagine how it is
taking over your email accounts. Every time I have ever installed it you
get the first run prompt asking what sort of account you want. In the
case of newsgroups you feed it the server info and whatever credentials
are needed and put something in the email address field and thats it.

> OB Food: Maybe you saw the post, maybe you didn't. It's not letting me
> view a damn thing coming from rfc. I'm going to grill some bratwurst,
> and some yellow squash from the vegetable stand. If it rains (looks
> like it might, again) I'll wind up cooking both indoors. Might make
> some egg noodles to go with it.
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2012 6:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> "Todd" wrote in message ...
>
> On 09/20/2012 10:33 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> I'm not the only one who is irritated with Thunderbird. I tried to
>> update the next XX million messages and now it won't show me a single
>> posting from rfc.
>> What an irritating newsreader!
>>
>> Oh, and it tried to take over my email account again, too. I had
>> deleted all the email settings; Thunderbird put them right back. Today
>> after receiving 117 messages I deleted the email account completely. I
>> retained the newsgroup accounts. Now I can't see any rfc postings. The
>> way they're screwing around with this software is seriously ****ing me
>> off. Someone in their QA department should be fired.
>>
>> OB Food: Maybe you saw the post, maybe you didn't. It's not letting me
>> view a damn thing coming from rfc. I'm going to grill some bratwurst,
>> and some yellow squash from the vegetable stand. If it rains (looks
>> like it might, again) I'll wind up cooking both indoors. Might make
>> some egg noodles to go with it.
>>
>> Jill

> Hi Jill,
>
> You tripped across two bugs in Th. The Mozilla foundation
> is working on them.
>
> Bug 1: there is a memory leak. You can tell when
> this happens as things stop or are very slow to
> respond. When this happens, just exit Th and restart
> it
>
> Bug 2: when all the posts seems to have disappeared,
> just click on another newsgroup, let it load up, then
> click back on the blank newsgroup. This happens to
> me several times a day. First few times it was scary.
> You get use to it.
>
> And, remember the words of Mark Twain: if you get
> frustrated, count to 10. If you get really frustrated,
> swear. (Not an admission that I swear!) :-)
>
> Happy cooking!
> -T
> ************
>
> Thanks, Todd. I used to get *paid* to find bugs in software. I'm not
> happy to do it for free.
>
> I've uninstalled, reinstalled, launched and re launched. It's not
> making any difference. Users shouldn't have to get used to programming
> bugs.

You could ask for a full refund.

> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/09/2012 8:01 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> "Todd" wrote in message ...
>
> On 09/20/2012 10:33 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> I'm not the only one who is irritated with Thunderbird. I tried to
>> update the next XX million messages and now it won't show me a single
>> posting from rfc.
>> What an irritating newsreader!
>>
>> Oh, and it tried to take over my email account again, too. I had
>> deleted all the email settings; Thunderbird put them right back. Today
>> after receiving 117 messages I deleted the email account completely. I
>> retained the newsgroup accounts. Now I can't see any rfc postings. The
>> way they're screwing around with this software is seriously ****ing me
>> off. Someone in their QA department should be fired.
>>
>> OB Food: Maybe you saw the post, maybe you didn't. It's not letting me
>> view a damn thing coming from rfc. I'm going to grill some bratwurst,
>> and some yellow squash from the vegetable stand. If it rains (looks
>> like it might, again) I'll wind up cooking both indoors. Might make
>> some egg noodles to go with it.
>>
>> Jill

> Hi Jill,
>
> You tripped across two bugs in Th. The Mozilla foundation
> is working on them.
>
> Bug 1: there is a memory leak. You can tell when
> this happens as things stop or are very slow to
> respond. When this happens, just exit Th and restart
> it
>
> Bug 2: when all the posts seems to have disappeared,
> just click on another newsgroup, let it load up, then
> click back on the blank newsgroup. This happens to
> me several times a day. First few times it was scary.
> You get use to it.
>
> And, remember the words of Mark Twain: if you get
> frustrated, count to 10. If you get really frustrated,
> swear. (Not an admission that I swear!) :-)
>
> Happy cooking!
> -T
> ************
>
> Thanks, Todd. I used to get *paid* to find bugs in software. I'm not
> happy to do it for free.
>
> I've uninstalled, reinstalled, launched and re launched. It's not
> making any difference. Users shouldn't have to get used to programming
> bugs.
>
> Jill

Why not? Microsoft gives them plenty of opportunities but they call them
"features"!

--

Krypsis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/09/2012 8:02 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I'm not the only one who is irritated with Thunderbird. I tried to
>> update
>> the next XX million messages and now it won't show me a single posting
>> from
>> rfc.
>> What an irritating newsreader!

> I'll say it again....try Netscape 4.7 for email and newsgroups. It
> works so
> good. You can find that old version via Google. Download it for free and
> enjoy .
>
> G.
>

> Does it work with Windows 7?
>
> Jill

No, you have to regress to Windows 3.1 to use it.

--

Krypsis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

> I have used tbird on dozens of machines and I can't imagine how it is
> taking over your email accounts. Every time I have ever installed it you
> get the first run prompt asking what sort of account you want. In the
> case of newsgroups you feed it the server info and whatever credentials
> are needed and put something in the email address field and thats it.

When she uninstalls, it probably leaves config files in the documents
deep in the Users/Admin/ directory. Also probably has it set to make
Tbird the default mail client and to check when it starts up.

I'm running an old version on Windows 7(X32) and it works fine. I can't
find a version I like that runs under Win 7 (X64), otoh I haven't
actually tried any of the really old versions because they don't claim
to work on a 64-bit OS. Maybe I can download the source for Tbird 2.0
or 1.5 (it's an open source project) and build it myself.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/20/2012 05:33 PM, Krypsis wrote:
> On 21/09/2012 8:02 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>>
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not the only one who is irritated with Thunderbird. I tried to
>>> update
>>> the next XX million messages and now it won't show me a single posting
>>> from
>>> rfc.
>>> What an irritating newsreader!

>> I'll say it again....try Netscape 4.7 for email and newsgroups. It
>> works so
>> good. You can find that old version via Google. Download it for free and
>> enjoy .
>>
>> G.
>>

>> Does it work with Windows 7?
>>
>> Jill

> No, you have to regress to Windows 3.1 to use it.

If you want something like Netscape, try Sea Monkey

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/

-T
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2012 1:33 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I'm not the only one who is irritated with Thunderbird. I tried to
> update the next XX million messages and now it won't show me a single
> posting from rfc.
> What an irritating newsreader!
>
> Oh, and it tried to take over my email account again, too.

I finally figured out to uncheck two options on the email accounts
on Thunderbird, check for messages on opening(?) and check for new
messages every xxx minutes. This stopped it from dragging all my
messages over from Windows Live.

> I retained the newsgroup accounts. Now I can't see any rfc postings.

Perhaps we could go over the settings via email, see if we can find
the differences. For one thing, under View, go to sort and pop up that
menu. Choose Subject and Ascending and Unthreaded. That might help
when you get messages.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>
> jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > I'm not the only one who is irritated with Thunderbird. I tried to update
> > the next XX million messages and now it won't show me a single posting
> > from
> > rfc.
> > What an irritating newsreader!

> I'll say it again....try Netscape 4.7 for email and newsgroups. It works so
> good. You can find that old version via Google. Download it for free and
> enjoy .
>
> G.
>
> Does it work with Windows 7?
>
> Jill

That I don't know, Jill. Perhaps someone else could tell you. I just save
my old computers once I buy new. I have an old newer one...WinNT but I
still hang on to this old Win98 one for email and newsgroups. "If it ain't
broke, don't fix it" has always been my motto.

Regardless, there *IS* a way to fix your not-quoting windows reader. I'm
sure someone could point you to that. It's no big deal to me though....I've
learned to find your message at the bottom. I've noticed that you do add a
"*********" sometimes to separate the old from your response.

G.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2012 7:33 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> I'm not the only one who is irritated with Thunderbird. I tried to
> update the next XX million messages and now it won't show me a single
> posting from rfc.
> What an irritating newsreader!
>
> Oh, and it tried to take over my email account again, too. I had
> deleted all the email settings; Thunderbird put them right back. Today
> after receiving 117 messages I deleted the email account completely. I
> retained the newsgroup accounts. Now I can't see any rfc postings. The
> way they're screwing around with this software is seriously ****ing me
> off. Someone in their QA department should be fired.
>
> OB Food: Maybe you saw the post, maybe you didn't. It's not letting me
> view a damn thing coming from rfc. I'm going to grill some bratwurst,
> and some yellow squash from the vegetable stand. If it rains (looks
> like it might, again) I'll wind up cooking both indoors. Might make
> some egg noodles to go with it.
>
> Jill

You're not the only one. The last 3 or so updates seems to have messed
it up some. Now it's all laggy and baggy and saggy.

One of the great things about Thunderbird is it's portability. You can
load it in any computer easily by also loading in your "profiles" file.
All your archived email and newsgroup postings and account and
configuration settings are stored in there. The bad thing is that it's
tough to do a fresh install. In the old versions, I'd just delete or
rename the profiles folder but that hasn't worked for a few years.

What the heck, I've enjoyed this program for free for almost 8 years so
I can't complain. I can't say that I'll being using it for much longer
either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2012 3:17 PM, Todd wrote:
> You tripped across two bugs in Th. The Mozilla foundation
> is working on them.
>
> Bug 1: there is a memory leak. You can tell when
> this happens as things stop or are very slow to
> respond. When this happens, just exit Th and restart
> it
>
> Bug 2: when all the posts seems to have disappeared,
> just click on another newsgroup, let it load up, then
> click back on the blank newsgroup. This happens to
> me several times a day. First few times it was scary.
> You get use to it.
>
> And, remember the words of Mark Twain: if you get
> frustrated, count to 10. If you get really frustrated,
> swear. (Not an admission that I swear!) :-)

How do you get it to quit marking everything unread that's already been
read? Whole threads, including the very long ones I don't even want to
read keep coming back unread. I could have done something but I don't
think I've deliberately changed anything recently.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2012 5:52 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 9/20/2012 3:17 PM, Todd wrote:
>> You tripped across two bugs in Th. The Mozilla foundation
>> is working on them.
>>
>> Bug 1: there is a memory leak. You can tell when
>> this happens as things stop or are very slow to
>> respond. When this happens, just exit Th and restart
>> it
>>
>> Bug 2: when all the posts seems to have disappeared,
>> just click on another newsgroup, let it load up, then
>> click back on the blank newsgroup. This happens to
>> me several times a day. First few times it was scary.
>> You get use to it.
>>
>> And, remember the words of Mark Twain: if you get
>> frustrated, count to 10. If you get really frustrated,
>> swear. (Not an admission that I swear!) :-)

> How do you get it to quit marking everything unread that's already been
> read? Whole threads, including the very long ones I don't even want to
> read keep coming back unread. I could have done something but I don't
> think I've deliberately changed anything recently.

"Threads>unread"

Honestly, I am using the same TB as everyone else and don't have the
problems y'all are having. I've been using it for a newsreader since it
was part of the "Mozilla Suite" pre-Firefox/Thunderbird and don't seem
to have any problems with it. I have tried other newsreaders and none
of them suit me as well.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/21/2012 03:52 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 9/20/2012 3:17 PM, Todd wrote:
>> You tripped across two bugs in Th. The Mozilla foundation
>> is working on them.
>>
>> Bug 1: there is a memory leak. You can tell when
>> this happens as things stop or are very slow to
>> respond. When this happens, just exit Th and restart
>> it
>>
>> Bug 2: when all the posts seems to have disappeared,
>> just click on another newsgroup, let it load up, then
>> click back on the blank newsgroup. This happens to
>> me several times a day. First few times it was scary.
>> You get use to it.
>>
>> And, remember the words of Mark Twain: if you get
>> frustrated, count to 10. If you get really frustrated,
>> swear. (Not an admission that I swear!) :-)

> How do you get it to quit marking everything unread that's already been
> read? Whole threads, including the very long ones I don't even want to
> read keep coming back unread. I could have done something but I don't
> think I've deliberately changed anything recently.

You can mark them all as unread. Then new ones should come in as
unread.

edit, select, all
Message, Mark, read

What version are you running?

Help, About Thunderbird

-T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2012 12:52 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> How do you get it to quit marking everything unread that's already been
> read? Whole threads, including the very long ones I don't even want to
> read keep coming back unread. I could have done something but I don't
> think I've deliberately changed anything recently.

Make sure the little box next to "Automatically Mark Messages as Read"
is checked. It's located: Options/Advanced/Reading & Display. Good luck
and God help us all!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2012 7:07 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 9/21/2012 5:52 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> On 9/20/2012 3:17 PM, Todd wrote:
>>> You tripped across two bugs in Th. The Mozilla foundation
>>> is working on them.
>>>
>>> Bug 1: there is a memory leak. You can tell when
>>> this happens as things stop or are very slow to
>>> respond. When this happens, just exit Th and restart
>>> it
>>>
>>> Bug 2: when all the posts seems to have disappeared,
>>> just click on another newsgroup, let it load up, then
>>> click back on the blank newsgroup. This happens to
>>> me several times a day. First few times it was scary.
>>> You get use to it.
>>>
>>> And, remember the words of Mark Twain: if you get
>>> frustrated, count to 10. If you get really frustrated,
>>> swear. (Not an admission that I swear!) :-)

>> How do you get it to quit marking everything unread that's already been
>> read? Whole threads, including the very long ones I don't even want to
>> read keep coming back unread. I could have done something but I don't
>> think I've deliberately changed anything recently.
>>

> "Threads>unread"
>
> Honestly, I am using the same TB as everyone else and don't have the
> problems y'all are having. I've been using it for a newsreader since it
> was part of the "Mozilla Suite" pre-Firefox/Thunderbird and don't seem
> to have any problems with it. I have tried other newsreaders and none
> of them suit me as well.

Same here. I would love to identify why others are having problems. I
put in the account info, subscribe to groups, set the view to "display
threads with unread" and it works as expected.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2012 7:16 PM, Todd wrote:
> On 09/21/2012 03:52 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> On 9/20/2012 3:17 PM, Todd wrote:
>>> You tripped across two bugs in Th. The Mozilla foundation
>>> is working on them.
>>>
>>> Bug 1: there is a memory leak. You can tell when
>>> this happens as things stop or are very slow to
>>> respond. When this happens, just exit Th and restart
>>> it
>>>
>>> Bug 2: when all the posts seems to have disappeared,
>>> just click on another newsgroup, let it load up, then
>>> click back on the blank newsgroup. This happens to
>>> me several times a day. First few times it was scary.
>>> You get use to it.
>>>
>>> And, remember the words of Mark Twain: if you get
>>> frustrated, count to 10. If you get really frustrated,
>>> swear. (Not an admission that I swear!) :-)

>> How do you get it to quit marking everything unread that's already been
>> read? Whole threads, including the very long ones I don't even want to
>> read keep coming back unread. I could have done something but I don't
>> think I've deliberately changed anything recently.
>>

> You can mark them all as unread. Then new ones should come in as
> unread.
>
> edit, select, all
> Message, Mark, read

I have the Mark All Read and the Mark Thread Read add ons. Very helpful.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/09/2012 7:46 PM, George wrote:

>> Honestly, I am using the same TB as everyone else and don't have the
>> problems y'all are having. I've been using it for a newsreader since it
>> was part of the "Mozilla Suite" pre-Firefox/Thunderbird and don't seem
>> to have any problems with it. I have tried other newsreaders and none
>> of them suit me as well.
>>

> Same here. I would love to identify why others are having problems. I
> put in the account info, subscribe to groups, set the view to "display
> threads with unread" and it works as expected.

I confess to having forgotten what I was using as a new reader before
Thunderbird, but I like TB because it is basically the same. I don't
have any major issues with it, though I wish I could filter stuff posted
to multiple groups, only because it tends to be crap.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/21/2012 04:16 PM, Todd wrote:
> On 09/21/2012 03:52 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> On 9/20/2012 3:17 PM, Todd wrote:
>>> You tripped across two bugs in Th. The Mozilla foundation
>>> is working on them.
>>>
>>> Bug 1: there is a memory leak. You can tell when
>>> this happens as things stop or are very slow to
>>> respond. When this happens, just exit Th and restart
>>> it
>>>
>>> Bug 2: when all the posts seems to have disappeared,
>>> just click on another newsgroup, let it load up, then
>>> click back on the blank newsgroup. This happens to
>>> me several times a day. First few times it was scary.
>>> You get use to it.
>>>
>>> And, remember the words of Mark Twain: if you get
>>> frustrated, count to 10. If you get really frustrated,
>>> swear. (Not an admission that I swear!) :-)

>> How do you get it to quit marking everything unread that's already been
>> read? Whole threads, including the very long ones I don't even want to
>> read keep coming back unread. I could have done something but I don't
>> think I've deliberately changed anything recently.
>>

> You can mark them all as unread. Then new ones should come in as
> unread.
>
> edit, select, all
> Message, Mark, read
>
> What version are you running?
>
> Help, About Thunderbird
>
> -T

Also try repairing your newsgroup:

Right click on the name of the newsgroup in the left column.

Left click on "Properties" at the bottom.

Click on the "general information" tab (top, left)

Click on the repair button (right side, 2/3 of the way down)

HTH,
-T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/21/2012 05:06 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> to having forgotten what I was using as a new reader before Thunderbird,
> but I like TB because it is basically the same. I don't have any major
> issues with it, though I wish I could filter stuff posted to multiple
> groups, only because it tends to be crap.

Hi Dave,

Pretty easy to do with Thunderbird.

1) Get into the newsgroup you want to filter

2) click on "tools", "Message Filters"

3) click on "New" to create a new filter (edit if it already exists)

4) Filter Name: Cross Posts
Apply filter when: Checking Mail or Manually Run

Match any of the following
Newsgroup (first field)
Contains (second field)
, (third field, just enter a single comma)

Perform these action: Delete Massage (it is in a pull down)

5) click "Okay"

Presto! No more cross posters.

HTH,
-T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John John" > wrote in message

>> Perform these action: Delete Massage (it is in a pull down)
>>
>>5) click "Okay"

> But no more massages either.
>
> John

why would he delete a massage?... just what kind of groups was he in? And
how do I access them?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/21/2012 05:51 PM, Somebody wrote:
> "John John" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Perform these action: Delete Massage (it is in a pull down)
>>>
>>> 5) click "Okay"

>> But no more massages either.
>>
>> John

> why would he delete a massage?... just what kind of groups was he in? And
> how do I access them?

My instruction eliminate messages from cross posters. It is
a ~98% troll remover too, as they can not resist cross posting.

It only deletes (removes) from your local Thunderbird.

You can also use the same setup to color cross posters (use
tag as instead of delete), if you only want to identify them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

jmcquown wrote:

> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>
> jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > I'm not the only one who is irritated with Thunderbird. I tried to
> > update
> > the next XX million messages and now it won't show me a single posting
> > from
> > rfc.
> > What an irritating newsreader!

> I'll say it again....try Netscape 4.7 for email and newsgroups. It works
> so
> good. You can find that old version via Google. Download it for free and
> enjoy .
>
> G.
>
> Does it work with Windows 7?
>
> Jill

That I don't know, Jill. Perhaps someone else could tell you. I just save
my old computers once I buy new. I have an old newer one...WinNT but I
still hang on to this old Win98 one for email and newsgroups. "If it ain't
broke, don't fix it" has always been my motto.

Regardless, there *IS* a way to fix your not-quoting windows reader. I'm
sure someone could point you to that. It's no big deal to me though....I've
learned to find your message at the bottom. I've noticed that you do add a
"*********" sometimes to separate the old from your response.

G.
*****************
I only replace computers when they don't work. I'm not running anything
remotely near as old as Win98, much less 3.1

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 09/21/2012 03:52 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 9/20/2012 3:17 PM, Todd wrote:
>> You tripped across two bugs in Th. The Mozilla foundation
>> is working on them.
>>
>> Bug 1: there is a memory leak. You can tell when
>> this happens as things stop or are very slow to
>> respond. When this happens, just exit Th and restart
>> it
>>
>> Bug 2: when all the posts seems to have disappeared,
>> just click on another newsgroup, let it load up, then
>> click back on the blank newsgroup. This happens to
>> me several times a day. First few times it was scary.
>> You get use to it.
>>
>> And, remember the words of Mark Twain: if you get
>> frustrated, count to 10. If you get really frustrated,
>> swear. (Not an admission that I swear!) :-)

> How do you get it to quit marking everything unread that's already been
> read? Whole threads, including the very long ones I don't even want to
> read keep coming back unread. I could have done something but I don't
> think I've deliberately changed anything recently.

You can mark them all as unread. Then new ones should come in as
unread.

edit, select, all
Message, Mark, read

What version are you running?

Help, About Thunderbird

-T
*****************

It is version 15.0. It doesn't help if I mark all as read, or unread. I'm
not seeing ANY posts in this newsgroup with this version. I'm sick of
messing around it it. It really does suck.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/21/2012 08:13 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> "Todd" wrote in message ...
>
> On 09/21/2012 03:52 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> On 9/20/2012 3:17 PM, Todd wrote:
>>> You tripped across two bugs in Th. The Mozilla foundation
>>> is working on them.
>>>
>>> Bug 1: there is a memory leak. You can tell when
>>> this happens as things stop or are very slow to
>>> respond. When this happens, just exit Th and restart
>>> it
>>>
>>> Bug 2: when all the posts seems to have disappeared,
>>> just click on another newsgroup, let it load up, then
>>> click back on the blank newsgroup. This happens to
>>> me several times a day. First few times it was scary.
>>> You get use to it.
>>>
>>> And, remember the words of Mark Twain: if you get
>>> frustrated, count to 10. If you get really frustrated,
>>> swear. (Not an admission that I swear!) :-)

>> How do you get it to quit marking everything unread that's already been
>> read? Whole threads, including the very long ones I don't even want to
>> read keep coming back unread. I could have done something but I don't
>> think I've deliberately changed anything recently.
>>

> You can mark them all as unread. Then new ones should come in as
> unread.
>
> edit, select, all
> Message, Mark, read
>
> What version are you running?
>
> Help, About Thunderbird
>
> -T
> *****************
>
> It is version 15.0. It doesn't help if I mark all as read, or unread.
> I'm not seeing ANY posts in this newsgroup with this version. I'm sick
> of messing around it it. It really does suck.
>
> Jill

Hi Jill,

Don't give up just yet. Have you done the rebuild I mentioned in
my previous post. V 15 "should" (note the weasel word) work fine.

Also, try clinking on another group, let it load up, then
click back on this one.

-T
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/09/2012 10:51 AM, Somebody wrote:
> "John John" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Perform these action: Delete Massage (it is in a pull down)
>>>
>>> 5) click "Okay"

>> But no more massages either.
>>
>> John

> why would he delete a massage?... just what kind of groups was he in? And
> how do I access them?

Thai massage for me please!!

--

Krypsis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 13:33:51 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>I'm not the only one who is irritated with Thunderbird. I tried to update
>the next XX million messages and now it won't show me a single posting from
>rfc.
>What an irritating newsreader!
>
>Oh, and it tried to take over my email account again, too. I had deleted
>all the email settings; Thunderbird put them right back. Today after
>receiving 117 messages I deleted the email account completely. I retained
>the newsgroup accounts. Now I can't see any rfc postings. The way they're
>screwing around with this software is seriously ****ing me off. Someone in
>their QA department should be fired.
>
>OB Food: Maybe you saw the post, maybe you didn't. It's not letting me
>view a damn thing coming from rfc. I'm going to grill some bratwurst, and
>some yellow squash from the vegetable stand. If it rains (looks like it
>might, again) I'll wind up cooking both indoors. Might make some egg
>noodles to go with it.
>
>Jill

you could try Forte Agent 7.00 for free to see if you like it

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"William" > wrote in message

> you could try Forte Agent 7.00 for free to see if you like it
>
> William

Forte Free Agent is no longer free. We've been over this... oh, you said
try. sorry. But I can't see having to pay for a news agent after 30 days.
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Krypsis" > wrote in message

>>> But no more massages either.
>>>
>>> John

>> why would he delete a massage?... just what kind of groups was he in?
>> And
>> how do I access them?
>>

> Thai massage for me please!!

my brother's wife is thai. very spicy... she's gone back there again.
They visit for 3 months, every 6 months... some people have odd
"relationships"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/09/2012 10:58 PM, Somebody wrote:
> "William" > wrote in message
>
>> you could try Forte Agent 7.00 for free to see if you like it
>>
>> William

> Forte Free Agent is no longer free. We've been over this... oh, you said
> try. sorry. But I can't see having to pay for a news agent after 30 days.
> http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

Been a paid up user of Forte Agent since pre-release days. Do all my
main email with it. Used to do newsgroups with it once but I like to
keep that activity separate these days. In fact, it was newsgroups that
I originally wanted it for as it does them better than most other
newsreaders, certainly better than Microsoft garbage.

--

Krypsis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Krypsis" > wrote in message

> Been a paid up user of Forte Agent since pre-release days. Do all my main
> email with it. Used to do newsgroups with it once but I like to keep that
> activity separate these days. In fact, it was newsgroups that I originally
> wanted it for as it does them better than most other newsreaders,
> certainly better than Microsoft garbage.

Microsoft makes garbage? Since when?

eh... OE/MS Mail is kinda crappy, but free and good enough for something
that is free.... I used Forte for a couple years years ago and it was much
better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I only replace computers when they don't work. I'm not running anything
> remotely near as old as Win98, much less 3.1

All of my old ones work but I do upgrade occasionally. Some of the upgrades
(talking software here) are good but too many are worthless changes so I
don't bother trying to fix what I already like. I do try out newer software
though.

I bought this Win98 computer in 1999 and others were jealous at the time.
It wasn't the best one by then but it was better than all my friends had.
It was semi-new tech but it was on sale so at least a year old. This is the
one I still use for newsgroups.

I use Eudora now for email. For browser, I use Firefox. They are both old
versions though. I tried Thunderbird when it first came out, didn't like
the changes, and I removed it.

Anyway, I still have all my old computers except for the one I gave to my
daughter when she went off to college. I do still have an older IBM with
Win3.1 and....my very two first computers - The Commodore Vic20, then the
Commodore 64

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 09/21/2012 08:13 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> "Todd" wrote in message ...
>
> On 09/21/2012 03:52 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> On 9/20/2012 3:17 PM, Todd wrote:
>>> You tripped across two bugs in Th. The Mozilla foundation
>>> is working on them.
>>>
>>> Bug 1: there is a memory leak. You can tell when
>>> this happens as things stop or are very slow to
>>> respond. When this happens, just exit Th and restart
>>> it
>>>
>>> Bug 2: when all the posts seems to have disappeared,
>>> just click on another newsgroup, let it load up, then
>>> click back on the blank newsgroup. This happens to
>>> me several times a day. First few times it was scary.
>>> You get use to it.
>>>
>>> And, remember the words of Mark Twain: if you get
>>> frustrated, count to 10. If you get really frustrated,
>>> swear. (Not an admission that I swear!) :-)

>> How do you get it to quit marking everything unread that's already been
>> read? Whole threads, including the very long ones I don't even want to
>> read keep coming back unread. I could have done something but I don't
>> think I've deliberately changed anything recently.
>>

> You can mark them all as unread. Then new ones should come in as
> unread.
>
> edit, select, all
> Message, Mark, read
>
> What version are you running?
>
> Help, About Thunderbird
>
> -T
> *****************
>
> It is version 15.0. It doesn't help if I mark all as read, or unread.
> I'm not seeing ANY posts in this newsgroup with this version. I'm sick
> of messing around it it. It really does suck.
>
> Jill

Hi Jill,

Don't give up just yet. Have you done the rebuild I mentioned in
my previous post. V 15 "should" (note the weasel word) work fine.

Also, try clinking on another group, let it load up, then
click back on this one.

-T
*****************

Been there, done that. It works fine with some other ngs but not this one.
I've uninstalled, reinstalled. Sorry, I'm just not happy with it and don't
intend to continue trying to use it. If some folks don't like my using
Windows Mail as my newsreader, so sorry! (It's too bad the people who wrote
OE Quotefix didn't continue on with more recent versions of Windows mail.)
I'm done.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/09/2012 12:52 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I only replace computers when they don't work. I'm not running anything
>> remotely near as old as Win98, much less 3.1

> All of my old ones work but I do upgrade occasionally. Some of the upgrades
> (talking software here) are good but too many are worthless changes so I
> don't bother trying to fix what I already like. I do try out newer software
> though.
>
> I bought this Win98 computer in 1999 and others were jealous at the time.
> It wasn't the best one by then but it was better than all my friends had.
> It was semi-new tech but it was on sale so at least a year old. This is the
> one I still use for newsgroups.

I'll bet they aren't jealous any more! ;-)

> I use Eudora now for email. For browser, I use Firefox. They are both old
> versions though. I tried Thunderbird when it first came out, didn't like
> the changes, and I removed it.
>
> Anyway, I still have all my old computers except for the one I gave to my
> daughter when she went off to college. I do still have an older IBM with
> Win3.1 and....my very two first computers - The Commodore Vic20, then the
> Commodore 64
>
> G.

The oldest computer I have here is my PowerMac G5. It's a 2.3GHz dual
processor G5 PPC and the only reason I keep it is that it is my work
computer and it still does that stuff perfectly. It also has it's own
dedicated broadband link into the city office.
All computers older than that have either ended up in the bin or been
recycled to friends and family. No way would I be using something as old
as a Win98 or ,God forbid, Win 3.1 in this modern era. Those operating
systems weren't noted for their "security" back when they were current
and supported. As for a Vic20 ... pfftttt!

--

Krypsis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Krypsis wrote:

> On 23/09/2012 12:52 AM, Gary wrote:
> > I bought this Win98 computer in 1999 and others were jealous at the time.
> > It wasn't the best one by then but it was better than all my friends had.
> > It was semi-new tech but it was on sale so at least a year old. This is the
> > one I still use for newsgroups.

> I'll bet they aren't jealous any more! ;-)

You think? heheh Even my *newer* computer, the WinNT one, is long dead
tech. Actually, one of those friends gave me his old one when he upgraded.
His old one was a nice upgrade for me though. I was happy.

> No way would I be using something as old
> as a Win98 or ,God forbid, Win 3.1 in this modern era. Those operating
> systems weren't noted for their "security" back when they were current
> and supported.

Just what SW mentions occasionally.

For Win98 and "security"...what's the problem?...it's for text ngs and
email. Do you wear a tin-foil hat? I've never had any problem with
this...no virus attacks (although I've caught a few attempts). I do have
Zone Alarm as a firewall but I suspect it's fake with all the attempts it
claims to stop.

As for security, I do have to use the WinNT computer to check my bank
balance. The newer Firefox (that Win98 doesn't support) is required for
that.

G.

As for a Vic20 ... pfftttt!

> --
>
> Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 9/21/2012 6:07 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 9/21/2012 5:52 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> On 9/20/2012 3:17 PM, Todd wrote:
>>> You tripped across two bugs in Th. The Mozilla foundation
>>> is working on them.
>>>
>>> Bug 1: there is a memory leak. You can tell when
>>> this happens as things stop or are very slow to
>>> respond. When this happens, just exit Th and restart
>>> it
>>>
>>> Bug 2: when all the posts seems to have disappeared,
>>> just click on another newsgroup, let it load up, then
>>> click back on the blank newsgroup. This happens to
>>> me several times a day. First few times it was scary.
>>> You get use to it.
>>>
>>> And, remember the words of Mark Twain: if you get
>>> frustrated, count to 10. If you get really frustrated,
>>> swear. (Not an admission that I swear!) :-)

>> How do you get it to quit marking everything unread that's already been
>> read? Whole threads, including the very long ones I don't even want to
>> read keep coming back unread. I could have done something but I don't
>> think I've deliberately changed anything recently.
>>

> "Threads>unread"
>
> Honestly, I am using the same TB as everyone else and don't have the
> problems y'all are having. I've been using it for a newsreader since it
> was part of the "Mozilla Suite" pre-Firefox/Thunderbird and don't seem
> to have any problems with it. I have tried other newsreaders and none
> of them suit me as well.

Ditto! I use Thunderbird as a newsreader and sometimes as an email
client, too, and have not encountered any problems that could not be
resolved with a little tweaking of its tools and options, etc. I
particularly liked an older version of Netscape as a newsreader, except
it is not compatible with Win7HP. Now that I've used TB for a while,
I'm used to it and it works well to do the 'job'.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Krypsis wrote:
> >

> As for a Vic20 ... pfftttt!

Don't mess with my first-born Krypsie! I'll kick your ass!

The Commodore Vic20 was the first very affordable home computer. It wasn't
much but neither were any other computers at that time. Computer tech was
in its infancy back then (early 80's).

Because it was so simple and basic, I learned how to program (in BASIC, then
later with assembly language) with the help of a few years subscription to
"COMPUTE!" magazine and extra books that I purchased.

Once I got back into college (night classes), I aced every one of the
computer class' that I took thanks to good ol' buddy, the Vic20, for
teaching me the basics.

G.