Posted to alt.food.asian

Default recipe for that sweet sesame thai chili sauce?

I keep getting lunch from a place that puts on some kind of sweet, Thai
chili sauce that has a very sesame flavor to it as well. It may come out
of a jar, I don't know, but I'd love to make some at home, does anyone
have a recipe for that kind of thing that they could share?
Posted to alt.food.asian

On 3/15/2012 2:31 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 14:11:59 -0400, Tom Wilson wrote:
>
>> I keep getting lunch from a place that puts on some kind of sweet, Thai
>> chili sauce that has a very sesame flavor to it as well. It may come out
>> of a jar, I don't know, but I'd love to make some at home, does anyone
>> have a recipe for that kind of thing that they could share?

> Mae Ploy Sweet Chile Garlic Sauce (do not get the "spring roll
> sauce"). Then up to 7% add sesame oil.
>
> I also like to add, depending on my mood:
>
> Sriracha (up to 10%)
> Fish Sauce (up to 5%)
> Rice Vinegar (up to 10% - but makes it watery)
> Chinkiang (Black) vinegar (up to 3%)
>

> I always have a bottle of some combination of the above pre-mixed in
> my fridge. Also makes a great fried chicken wing/leg sauce.
>
> Mae Ploy is by far the best brand of sweet chile sauce out there.
> Accept no others.
>
> -sw

do you add soy sauce too?

I'm in love with sriracha and now this chili sauce.
Posted to alt.food.asian

On 3/15/2012 2:31 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 14:11:59 -0400, Tom Wilson wrote:
>
>> I keep getting lunch from a place that puts on some kind of sweet, Thai
>> chili sauce that has a very sesame flavor to it as well. It may come out
>> of a jar, I don't know, but I'd love to make some at home, does anyone
>> have a recipe for that kind of thing that they could share?

> Mae Ploy Sweet Chile Garlic Sauce (do not get the "spring roll
> sauce"). Then up to 7% add sesame oil.
>
> I also like to add, depending on my mood:
>
> Sriracha (up to 10%)
> Fish Sauce (up to 5%)
> Rice Vinegar (up to 10% - but makes it watery)
> Chinkiang (Black) vinegar (up to 3%)
>

> I always have a bottle of some combination of the above pre-mixed in
> my fridge. Also makes a great fried chicken wing/leg sauce.
>
> Mae Ploy is by far the best brand of sweet chile sauce out there.
> Accept no others.
>
> -sw

I'll see if I can find it locally, not sure if I can, but if I can't I
may try with another brand or buy online or something. Thanks.
Posted to alt.food.asian

Tom Wilson > wrote:
> I keep getting lunch from a place that puts on some kind of sweet, Thai
> chili sauce that has a very sesame flavor to it as well. It may come out
> of a jar, I don't know, but I'd love to make some at home, does anyone
> have a recipe for that kind of thing that they could share?

Interesting, Tom. Chinese use a lot of Sesame oil. The only Thai recipe I
have that uses it is Pad Wun Sen (Stir-fried Transparent Noodles).

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.asian

[NOM wrote on 3/15/2012

> On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 14:11:59 -0400, Tom Wilson wrote:

>> I keep getting lunch from a place that puts on some kind of sweet, Thai
>> chili sauce that has a very sesame flavor to it as well. It may come out
>> of a jar, I don't know, but I'd love to make some at home, does anyone
>> have a recipe for that kind of thing that they could share?

> Mae Ploy Sweet Chile Garlic Sauce (do not get the "spring roll
> sauce").

Consider also the 'Sweet Chili sauce for seafood,' same ingresient list
but with pickled yellow, rather than pickled red chilis--and spicier.

> Then up to 7% add sesame oil.
> I also like to add, depending on my mood:
> Sriracha (up to 10%)
> Fish Sauce (up to 5%)
> Rice Vinegar (up to 10% - but makes it watery)
> Chinkiang (Black) vinegar (up to 3%)
> I always have a bottle of some combination of the above pre-mixed in
> my fridge. Also makes a great fried chicken wing/leg sauce.

> Mae Ploy is by far the best brand of sweet chile sauce out there.
> Accept no others.
> -sw

Certainly better to have Maesri brand than none at all.
Whether Mae Ploy or Maesri seems a matter of personal taste and
availability.
Cheers,
-maxwell

Posted to alt.food.asian

After serious thinking Sqwertz wrote :
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 16:38:29 -0400, maxwell wrote:

>> [NOM wrote on 3/15/2012

>>> Mae Ploy Sweet Chile Garlic Sauce (do not get the "spring roll
>>> sauce").

>> Consider also the 'Sweet Chili sauce for seafood,' same ingresient list
>> but with pickled yellow, rather than pickled red chilis--and spicier.

> It also doesn't have garlic in it, IIRC.

Actually, it does--not a whole lot, but it's in it.

> I don't find it nearly as
> tasty - much more milder. The yellow is pretty rare where I live
> (Austin) and only sold in small bottles when I do see it.

> Who's NOM?

My newsreader's glitch, apparently--it should have inserted the
poster's name ('nom' being French for name; the programmer's native
language)

>> Certainly better to have Maesri brand than none at all.
>> Whether Mae Ploy or Maesri seems a matter of personal taste and
>> availability.

> I've never even seen a Maseri sweet chile sauce, but they do compete
> with each other an many other products. I'll try it if I see it.

> Where do you live that you see these things I rarely/never see?
> -sw

NY City region. Manhattan's Chinatown is quite the SE Asian shopper's
treasure.

Cheers,
-maxwell

Posted to alt.food.asian

Sqwertz explained :
> On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 13:47:56 -0400, maxwell wrote:
>> After serious thinking Sqwertz wrote :
>>> On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 16:38:29 -0400, maxwell wrote:

<~>

>>> It also doesn't have garlic in it, IIRC.

>> Actually, it does--not a whole lot, but it's in it.

> OK, I looked at the ingredient lists online and it matches the red
> stuff. I thought there was something drastically different about the
> red vs the yellow (other than the color). Other than it being milder.

Besides being hotter, there also seems a bit more of a perhaps 'smokey'
flavor to the yellow.

>>> Where do you live that you see these things I rarely/never see?
>>> -sw

>> NY City region. Manhattan's Chinatown is quite the SE Asian shopper's
>> treasure.

> Thanks.

You're most welcome!

> I'll try the Maeseri brand when I see it. I know I've turned
> a lot of people onto the Mae Ploy Red Stuff and they say it beats the
> hell out of the brand they were using previously,

Possibly they were getting one of the lesser varieties of Sriracha?

> but nobody ever mentioned Maseri brand Sweet Chile Sauce.

> -sw

Just note you've transposed Maesri to Maseri . . though the
transposition may not matter much, depending on who's pronouncing it
(I'm thinking of certain 'Thinglish' constructions here ;~)

Cheers,
-maxwell

Member

Location: Thailand
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wilson View Post
I keep getting lunch from a place that puts on some kind of sweet, Thai
chili sauce that has a very sesame flavor to it as well. It may come out
of a jar, I don't know, but I'd love to make some at home, does anyone
have a recipe for that kind of thing that they could share?
I'm Siri, newcomer here.
I'm not sure if that your mentioned sauce is this NaamJim Sukii น้ำจิ้มสุกี้ in Thai?

if yes, this is my home recipe

1 cup Chili sauce
2 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
pounded sesame
Thai parsley
chopped Garlic
chili
lime juice
sometime i add some ketchup, too

mix all ingredients, taste and add more what you like

in thailand, we normally eat with สุกี้ (a kind of vegetable hotpot)

Last edited by Siri Chen : 23-03-2012 at 06:41 AM
Posted to alt.food.asian

On 03/15/12 3:12 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 14:47:58 -0400, Tom Wilson wrote:
>
>> I'll see if I can find it locally, not sure if I can, but if I can't I
>> may try with another brand or buy online or something. Thanks.

> Caravel would be the next best brand, but it is still way behind Mae
> Ploy flavor-wise. I cant enough the importance of Mae Ploy (and no, I
> don't work for them - they're in Thailand ;-)
>
> It's a pretty common brand.
>
> -sw

Getting into this a bit late, but agree on the Mae Ploy. I make sure to
keep an unopened bottle on hand Simplest baked chicken - just smear
some on the chicken and bake as usual.
Wilson