Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Circulon pan help!

Some years ago I was given a gift card for a store that I dislike. They
have a website online and I finally decided to order something there since I
really don't like going in the store. I don't know what it is about it but
it makes me feel generally uneasy. I think it is the lighting or something.
It seems too dimly lit and dingy in there. And I get annoyed when I see
their high prices for things that I can get for much less elsewhere.

This store had a Circulon very large sauté pan on clearance. I can't
remember the price now but I think it was around $70. I wouldn't normally
pay that much for a pan but I just wanted to use up the gift certificate. I
think it might be a non-stick pan although it isn't a Teflon type coating.

Turns out that it was my favorite pan ever! Was. Then something happened
to it. I'm not sure when it happened. Used to be that I could cook
anything and everything in it and it was fine. Then all of a sudden, eggs
would weld themselves to the pan. And now really anything and everything I
cook is sticking. And very badly. I just did some chicken in the pan.
Also did a couple of pieces in the new Orgreenic pan which is really too
small to do more than one whole breast.

The Orgreenic pan seemed to get a lot hotter a lot quicker. It came out
perfectly. The chicken in my Circulon pan not only stuck very badly but
burned. I used a garlic and herb marinade on it.

The problem now is that I feel that the pan is not coming fully clean when
try to clean it. I have had to resort to using a wire brush which I am sure
has probably destroyed whatever of the non-stick coating was there. I keep
scrubbing and scrubbing and black bits keep coming off. I am pretty sure
that the black bits are stuck on food. I can't get the surface to get
smooth like it one was.

So where did I go wrong? I don't think I ever used a high heat on the pan.
The highest I usually use with this pan is 7 on an electric stove. Now it
is possible that someone else in the house did something to the pan. Not
likely since they rarely ever cook. I just can't think of an incident that
I had that would have caused this.

I intend to get a similar pan when I get enough money saved up. I am sure
they don't make this pan any more since it is so old and it was a clearance
item. I just don't want to make the same mistake with the new pan. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 17:35:21 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Some years ago I was given a gift card for a store that I dislike. They
>> have a website online and I finally decided to order something there
>> since I
>> really don't like going in the store. I don't know what it is about it
>> but
>> it makes me feel generally uneasy. I think it is the lighting or
>> something.
>> It seems too dimly lit and dingy in there. And I get annoyed when I see
>> their high prices for things that I can get for much less elsewhere.
>>
>> This store had a Circulon very large sauté pan on clearance. I can't
>> remember the price now but I think it was around $70. I wouldn't
>> normally
>> pay that much for a pan but I just wanted to use up the gift certificate.
>> think it might be a non-stick pan although it isn't a Teflon type
>> coating.
>>
>> Turns out that it was my favorite pan ever! Was. Then something
>> happened
>> to it. I'm not sure when it happened. Used to be that I could cook
>> anything and everything in it and it was fine. Then all of a sudden,
>> eggs
>> would weld themselves to the pan. And now really anything and everything
>> cook is sticking. And very badly. I just did some chicken in the pan.
>> Also did a couple of pieces in the new Orgreenic pan which is really too
>> small to do more than one whole breast.
>>
>> The Orgreenic pan seemed to get a lot hotter a lot quicker. It came out
>> perfectly. The chicken in my Circulon pan not only stuck very badly but
>> burned. I used a garlic and herb marinade on it.
>>
>> The problem now is that I feel that the pan is not coming fully clean
>> when
>> try to clean it. I have had to resort to using a wire brush which I am
>> sure
>> has probably destroyed whatever of the non-stick coating was there. I
>> keep
>> scrubbing and scrubbing and black bits keep coming off. I am pretty sure
>> that the black bits are stuck on food. I can't get the surface to get
>> smooth like it one was.
>>
>> So where did I go wrong?

> Cleaning a non stick pan with a wire brush - that's the coating coming
> off, not the food. And not knowing how to cook if you're burning
> chicken in a pan in the first place.

Yes but I only resorted to a wire brush when it wouldn't come off otherwise.
I was trying to find out what might have caused the food to stick to begin
with.

I have since ordered two pans. They cost less than I thought they would.
The chef's and the saute from Overstock.com. They may not match. I don't
care.

> But you already knew that. You just wanted us to tell you that.
> Nothing more to see here.

Well no. I still would like some ideas as to what might have caused the
food to stick to begin with. I have only ever had that happen waaaay back
when I bought cheap non-stick skillets. They never worked very well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have one griddle sort of pan. Don't know its proper name. Don't remember
its brand either but it was fiercely expensive. The instructions that came
with it said: NO dishwasher and NO spray-on non-stick like Pam. I won't buy
another one of that ilk but have great happy results with it. So great that
I gave one to DDIL.
Hers did just what you said; worked fine and then it was awful. Be very
careful choosing non-stick cookware and really do follow the instructions.
Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 19:05:14 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I still would like some ideas as to what might have caused the
> food to stick to begin with. I have only ever had that happen waaaay back
> when I bought cheap non-stick skillets. They never worked very well.

You're already solved your own problem. It wore out. None of those
coated pans last forever. Throw it out and move on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
>I have one griddle sort of pan. Don't know its proper name. Don't remember
>its brand either but it was fiercely expensive. The instructions that came
>with it said: NO dishwasher and NO spray-on non-stick like Pam. I won't
>buy another one of that ilk but have great happy results with it. So great
>that I gave one to DDIL.
> Hers did just what you said; worked fine and then it was awful. Be
> very careful choosing non-stick cookware and really do follow the
> instructions. Polly

I have never put this pan in the dishwasher. The new pans I am buying do
say that you can. I just don't. They are so big anyway... They might not
fit.

Now the cooking spray! Hmmm... That is something that I hadn't used in
many years. I would just use oil, margarine or butter. But after a
discussion here about the high heat (grilling?) spray, I did buy some. I
can't remember now what the issue was but I want to say that it was free of
soybean oil.

I do remember my daughter finding a recipe that she really wanted to try and
it called for the cooking spray. She is one of those real sticklers for
details sometimes and this was one of those times. Oddly enough when she
wants to, she can take a recipe and make it free of her intolerances. But
this time she really insisted on the cooking spray. I would be willing to
bet that I used it in that pan!

I think the next time I go into the kitchen I will just throw that nasty
spray out. I never did like the stuff.

Thanks!Q

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 22:27:46 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:
>
>> I have one griddle sort of pan. Don't know its proper name. Don't
>> remember
>> its brand either but it was fiercely expensive. The instructions that
>> came
>> with it said: NO dishwasher and NO spray-on non-stick like Pam. I won't
>> buy
>> another one of that ilk but have great happy results with it. So great
>> that
>> I gave one to DDIL.
>> Hers did just what you said; worked fine and then it was awful. Be
>> very
>> careful choosing non-stick cookware and really do follow the
>> instructions.

> I have a bunch of Circulon, both old and somewhat new. and have never
> had any problems with it except that the top surface of the ridges
> does wear out. It does not cause the problems Julie sees. I have had
> much worse luck with plenty of other non-stick brands (even All Clad).
> Only Bialetti had outperformed the Circulon (and at 1/3rd the price).
>
> I'm pretty sure her husband sabotaged them. He does that a lot.

That is quite possible. He is gone now. The kitchen is clean! And I have
room in my fridge again!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 19:05:14 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I still would like some ideas as to what might have caused the
>> food to stick to begin with. I have only ever had that happen waaaay
>> back
>> when I bought cheap non-stick skillets. They never worked very well.
>>

> You're already solved your own problem. It wore out. None of those
> coated pans last forever. Throw it out and move on.

I would think that a Circulon pan should last for many years. I think Polly
Esther hit the nail on the head with the non-stick cooking spray. In fact
I'd be willing to bet on it! If it did say that in the instructions I would
have passed it by because I never used the stuff. I have some now. Well
until I go into the kitchen again. And then it will be going bye bye.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 10, 11:29*pm, sf > wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 19:05:14 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
> > I still would like some ideas as to what might have caused the
> > food to stick to begin with. *I have only ever had that happen waaaay back
> > when I bought cheap non-stick skillets. *They never worked very well.

> You're already solved your own problem. *It wore out. *None of those
> coated pans last forever. *Throw it out and move on.

Exactly. And that's why I weaned myself away from non-stick
cookware. Although I loved the ease of cooking in it and was very,
very careful with it I got tired of babying it. And then it started
peeling even though I pampered it; enough ot that!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Sep 10, 11:29 pm, sf > wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 19:05:14 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I still would like some ideas as to what might have caused the
>>> food to stick to begin with. I have only ever had that happen
>>> waaaay back when I bought cheap non-stick skillets. They never
>>> worked very well.

>> You're already solved your own problem. It wore out. None of those
>> coated pans last forever. Throw it out and move on.
>>

> Exactly. And that's why I weaned myself away from non-stick
> cookware. Although I loved the ease of cooking in it and was very,
> very careful with it I got tired of babying it. And then it started
> peeling even though I pampered it; enough ot that!

Circulon is a different beast I think. Whatever they use is not like what
is used on those cheap skillets.

My parents and other people I know used to swear by T-Fal. I never had much
luck with it. You have to be super careful not to scratch it. And I was,
but others in this house were not and made their eggs with a fork.

I do have a very good non-stick skillet that was purchased in NY. So it's
at least 8 years old. I kept it hidden, leaving the old scratched one out
for he who would make eggs with a fork to use. Heh. My only issue with it
is that it is very large and I don't always need something that large. So I
got the Orgreenic one. It will be used only for eggs and perhaps pancakes.

I liked the saute pan because it was not only very large but deep. I could
do things like Spanish rice in it. I had gotten to the point where I was
using pretty much only it or my Rachael Ray pasta pot for most things. I
have an old Revereware pan that I use for popcorn. And I was using it for
smaller things like a serving of instant mashed potatoes or a can or soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 22:05:07 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

> On Sep 10, 11:29*pm, sf > wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 19:05:14 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > I still would like some ideas as to what might have caused the
> > > food to stick to begin with. *I have only ever had that happen waaaay back
> > > when I bought cheap non-stick skillets. *They never worked very well.

> > You're already solved your own problem. *It wore out. *None of those
> > coated pans last forever. *Throw it out and move on.
> >

> Exactly. And that's why I weaned myself away from non-stick
> cookware. Although I loved the ease of cooking in it and was very,
> very careful with it I got tired of babying it. And then it started
> peeling even though I pampered it; enough ot that!

We decided to go non-stick pan free and that only lasted a couple of
months. It's just too darned easy to cook eggs in one, so we are back
with a non-stick again (our egg pan). The difference is that we are
under no illusion that it will last and will replace it ASAP when we
decide it's time. We also aren't going to be under any illusion that
the pan will "last a lifetime" so we aren't going to be suckered into
spending an arm and a leg on one.... even if it has a fancy coating
that the shop keeper runs a rock over to demonstrate how tough it is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 10, 7:05*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> [...]

> > Cleaning a non stick pan with a wire brush - that's the coating coming
> > off, not the food. *And not knowing how to cook if you're burning
> > chicken in a pan in the first place.

> Yes but I only resorted to a wire brush when it wouldn't come off otherwise.
> I was trying to find out what might have caused the food to stick to begin
> with.
>
> I have since ordered two pans. *They cost less than I thought they would.
> The chef's and the saute from Overstock.com. *They may not match. *I don't
> care.
>

> > But you already knew that. *You just wanted us to tell you that.
> > Nothing more to see here.

> Well no. *I still would like some ideas as to what might have caused the
> food to stick to begin with. *I have only ever had that happen waaaay back
> when I bought cheap non-stick skillets. *They never worked very well.

Call Al Gore...he'll know.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Sqwertz >
wrote:

> Cleaning a non stick pan with a wire brush - that's the coating coming
> off, not the food. And not knowing how to cook if you're burning
> chicken in a pan in the first place.
>
> But you already knew that. You just wanted us to tell you that.
> Nothing more to see here.
>
> -sw

so only morons reply to Julie?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 11, 10:47*am, sf > wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 22:05:07 -0700 (PDT), "
>

> > > You're already solved your own problem. It wore out. None of those
> > > coated pans last forever. Throw it out and move on.

> > Exactly. *And that's why I weaned myself away from non-stick
> > cookware. *Although I loved the ease of cooking in it and was very,
> > very careful with it I got tired of babying it. *And then it started
> > peeling even though I pampered it; enough ot that!

> We decided to go non-stick pan free and that only lasted a couple of
> months. *It's just too darned easy to cook eggs in one, so we are back
> with a non-stick again (our egg pan). *The difference is that we are
> under no illusion that it will last and will replace it ASAP when we
> decide it's time. *We also aren't going to be under any illusion that
> the pan will "last a lifetime" so we aren't going to be suckered into
> spending an arm and a leg on one.... even if it has a fancy coating
> that the shop keeper runs a rock over to demonstrate how tough it is.

It took me a few failures to master non-stick again but now I love my
Calphalon and that I can sling it in the oven and not worry about
going over 350°. I love that I don't have to worry about using
something other than wooden or nylon utensils in it, not worry that
someone else wouldn't be as careful with it as I would. Tri-ply
stainless steel cookware is my friend.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Meanwhile, back to cleaning a non-stick pan, I made quite a mess with my
favorite non-stick skillet and went to Heloise for help. She said to fill
it with water and one tablespoon dishwashER detergent, turn on the vent fan,
boil the water for ten minutes. That worked very well. I've not quite
familiar with what the controls on my new stove mean. Obviously, the E in
Medium is too high for non-stick. Lesson learned. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 18:02:46 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

>Meanwhile, back to cleaning a non-stick pan, I made quite a mess with my
>favorite non-stick skillet and went to Heloise for help. She said to fill
>it with water and one tablespoon dishwashER detergent, turn on the vent fan,
>boil the water for ten minutes. That worked very well. I've not quite
>familiar with what the controls on my new stove mean. Obviously, the E in
>Medium is too high for non-stick. Lesson learned. Polly

It is easy to put a shellac-type icky on any pan if you are heating or
frying too high. The icky is vi sable on stainless and is easy to
tackle there. On non stick it doesn't show up and isn't always
noticeable to the fingers. I find that a Dobie pad is perfect for
scouring all non stick pans after frying to keep them slippery clean.
I tried other nylon scrubbers but they don't seem to do the job like
the Dobie pad.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" <> wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 18:02:46 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> <> wrote:
>
>>Meanwhile, back to cleaning a non-stick pan, I made quite a mess with my
>>favorite non-stick skillet and went to Heloise for help. She said to fill
>>it with water and one tablespoon dishwashER detergent, turn on the vent
>>fan,
>>boil the water for ten minutes. That worked very well. I've not quite
>>familiar with what the controls on my new stove mean. Obviously, the E in
>>Medium is too high for non-stick. Lesson learned. Polly

> It is easy to put a shellac-type icky on any pan if you are heating or
> frying too high. The icky is vi sable on stainless and is easy to
> tackle there. On non stick it doesn't show up and isn't always
> noticeable to the fingers. I find that a Dobie pad is perfect for
> scouring all non stick pans after frying to keep them slippery clean.
> I tried other nylon scrubbers but they don't seem to do the job like
> the Dobie pad.
> Janet US

"Shellac-type icky"? That is exactly what it was. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 18:02:46 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, "Polly
Esther" > wrote,
>Meanwhile, back to cleaning a non-stick pan,

If you have pan spray or something coating the pan, scrub it with a
"Mr. Clean Magic Eraser" or other branded equivalent. Too new for
Heloise to know about.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"David Harmon" > wrote in message
m...
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 18:02:46 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, "Polly
> Esther" > wrote,
>>Meanwhile, back to cleaning a non-stick pan,

> If you have pan spray or something coating the pan, scrub it with a
> "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser" or other branded equivalent. Too new for
> Heloise to know about.

Those erasers are wonderful and I enjoy them - but - as gentle as them seem,
they can and will damage some finishes. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 10, 8:35*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Some years ago I was given a gift card for a store that I dislike. *They
> have a website online and I finally decided to order something there since I
> really don't like going in the store. *I don't know what it is about it but
> it makes me feel generally uneasy. *I think it is the lighting or something.
> It seems too dimly lit and dingy in there. *And I get annoyed when I see
> their high prices for things that I can get for much less elsewhere.
>
> This store had a Circulon very large sauté pan on clearance. *I can't
> remember the price now but I think it was around $70. *I wouldn't normally
> pay that much for a pan but I just wanted to use up the gift certificate. *I
> think it might be a non-stick pan although it isn't a Teflon type coating..
>
> Turns out that it was my favorite pan ever! *Was. *Then something happened
> to it. *I'm not sure when it happened. *Used to be that I could cook
> anything and everything in it and it was fine. *Then all of a sudden, eggs
> would weld themselves to the pan. *And now really anything and everything I
> cook is sticking. *And very badly. *I just did some chicken in the pan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 17:59:27 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Sep 10, 8:35*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> Some years ago I was given a gift card for a store that I dislike. *They
>> have a website online and I finally decided to order something there since I
>> really don't like going in the store. *I don't know what it is about it but
>> it makes me feel generally uneasy. *I think it is the lighting or something.
>> It seems too dimly lit and dingy in there. *And I get annoyed when I see
>> their high prices for things that I can get for much less elsewhere.
>>
>> This store had a Circulon very large sauté pan on clearance. *I can't
>> remember the price now but I think it was around $70. *I wouldn't normally
>> pay that much for a pan but I just wanted to use up the gift certificate. *I
>> think it might be a non-stick pan although it isn't a Teflon type coating.
>>
>> Turns out that it was my favorite pan ever! *Was. *Then something happened
>> to it. *I'm not sure when it happened. *Used to be that I could cook
>> anything and everything in it and it was fine. *Then all of a sudden, eggs
>> would weld themselves to the pan. *And now really anything and everything I
>> cook is sticking. *And very badly. *I just did some chicken in the pan.
>> Also did a couple of pieces in the new Orgreenic pan which is really too
>> small to do more than *one whole breast.
>>
>> The Orgreenic pan seemed to get a lot hotter a lot quicker. *It came out
>> perfectly. *The chicken in my Circulon pan not only stuck very badly but
>> burned. *I used a garlic and herb marinade on it.
>>
>> The problem now is that I feel that the pan is not coming fully clean when
>> try to clean it. *I have had to resort to using a wire brush which I am sure
>> has probably destroyed whatever of the non-stick coating was there. *I keep
>> scrubbing and scrubbing and black bits keep coming off. *I am pretty sure
>> that the black bits are stuck on food. *I can't get the surface to get
>> smooth like it one was.
>>
>> So where did I go wrong? *I don't think I ever used a high heat on the pan.
>> The highest I usually use with this pan is 7 on an electric stove. *Now it
>> is possible that someone else in the house did something to the pan. *Not
>> likely since they rarely ever cook. *I just can't think of an incident that
>> I had that would have caused this.
>>
>> I intend to get a similar pan when I get enough money saved up. *I am sure
>> they don't make this pan any more since it is so old and it was a clearance
>> item. *I just don't want to make the same mistake with the new pan. *Thanks!

>Why do ppl keep trying non-stick pans? Eventually, we all have fallen
>out of love with them, no?
>
>Quit filling landfills with unsatisfactory pans and sayva-yo-mahnee..

Non stick is like cooking with training wheels.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message

Why do ppl keep trying non-stick pans? Eventually, we all have fallen
out of love with them, no?

Quit filling landfills with unsatisfactory pans and sayva-yo-mahnee..

========

Nope, I love mine and haven't replaced any for several years.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On Sep 10, 8:35 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> Some years ago I was given a gift card for a store that I dislike.
>> They have a website online and I finally decided to order something
>> there since I really don't like going in the store. I don't know
>> what it is about it but it makes me feel generally uneasy. I think
>> it is the lighting or something. It seems too dimly lit and dingy in
>> there. And I get annoyed when I see their high prices for things
>> that I can get for much less elsewhere.
>>
>> This store had a Circulon very large sauté pan on clearance. I can't
>> remember the price now but I think it was around $70. I wouldn't
>> normally pay that much for a pan but I just wanted to use up the
>> gift certificate. I think it might be a non-stick pan although it
>> isn't a Teflon type coating.
>>
>> Turns out that it was my favorite pan ever! Was. Then something
>> happened
>> to it. I'm not sure when it happened. Used to be that I could cook
>> anything and everything in it and it was fine. Then all of a sudden,
>> eggs would weld themselves to the pan. And now really anything and
>> everything I cook is sticking. And very badly. I just did some
>> chicken in the pan.
>> Also did a couple of pieces in the new Orgreenic pan which is really
>> too small to do more than one whole breast.
>>
>> The Orgreenic pan seemed to get a lot hotter a lot quicker. It came
>> out perfectly. The chicken in my Circulon pan not only stuck very
>> badly but burned. I used a garlic and herb marinade on it.
>>
>> The problem now is that I feel that the pan is not coming fully
>> clean when try to clean it. I have had to resort to using a wire
>> brush which I am sure has probably destroyed whatever of the
>> non-stick coating was there. I keep scrubbing and scrubbing and
>> black bits keep coming off. I am pretty sure that the black bits are
>> stuck on food. I can't get the surface to get smooth like it one was.
>>
>> So where did I go wrong? I don't think I ever used a high heat on
>> the pan. The highest I usually use with this pan is 7 on an electric
>> stove. Now it is possible that someone else in the house did
>> something to the pan. Not likely since they rarely ever cook. I just
>> can't think of an incident that I had that would have caused this.
>>
>> I intend to get a similar pan when I get enough money saved up. I am
>> sure they don't make this pan any more since it is so old and it was
>> a clearance item. I just don't want to make the same mistake with
>> the new pan. Thanks!

> Why do ppl keep trying non-stick pans? Eventually, we all have fallen
> out of love with them, no?

Well, no. I love them and I have had this one for quite a few years. I had
a skillet that came with my Revereware and I don't know what possible use it
could have had. Everything stuck to it.

> Quit filling landfills with unsatisfactory pans and sayva-yo-mahnee..

What then would you suggest that I use? I hate cast iron. Too heavy and it
never worked for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 17:59:27 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sep 10, 8:35 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>> Some years ago I was given a gift card for a store that I dislike.
>>> They have a website online and I finally decided to order something
>>> there since I really don't like going in the store. I don't know
>>> what it is about it but it makes me feel generally uneasy. I think
>>> it is the lighting or something. It seems too dimly lit and dingy
>>> in there. And I get annoyed when I see their high prices for things
>>> that I can get for much less elsewhere.
>>>
>>> This store had a Circulon very large sauté pan on clearance. I can't
>>> remember the price now but I think it was around $70. I wouldn't
>>> normally pay that much for a pan but I just wanted to use up the
>>> gift certificate. I think it might be a non-stick pan although it
>>> isn't a Teflon type coating.
>>>
>>> Turns out that it was my favorite pan ever! Was. Then something
>>> happened
>>> to it. I'm not sure when it happened. Used to be that I could cook
>>> anything and everything in it and it was fine. Then all of a
>>> sudden, eggs would weld themselves to the pan. And now really
>>> anything and everything I cook is sticking. And very badly. I just
>>> did some chicken in the pan.
>>> Also did a couple of pieces in the new Orgreenic pan which is
>>> really too small to do more than one whole breast.
>>>
>>> The Orgreenic pan seemed to get a lot hotter a lot quicker. It came
>>> out perfectly. The chicken in my Circulon pan not only stuck very
>>> badly but burned. I used a garlic and herb marinade on it.
>>>
>>> The problem now is that I feel that the pan is not coming fully
>>> clean when try to clean it. I have had to resort to using a wire
>>> brush which I am sure has probably destroyed whatever of the
>>> non-stick coating was there. I keep scrubbing and scrubbing and
>>> black bits keep coming off. I am pretty sure that the black bits
>>> are stuck on food. I can't get the surface to get smooth like it
>>> one was.
>>>
>>> So where did I go wrong? I don't think I ever used a high heat on
>>> the pan. The highest I usually use with this pan is 7 on an
>>> electric stove. Now it is possible that someone else in the house
>>> did something to the pan. Not likely since they rarely ever cook. I
>>> just can't think of an incident that I had that would have caused
>>> this.
>>>
>>> I intend to get a similar pan when I get enough money saved up. I
>>> am sure they don't make this pan any more since it is so old and it
>>> was a clearance item. I just don't want to make the same mistake
>>> with the new pan. Thanks!

>> Why do ppl keep trying non-stick pans? Eventually, we all have
>> fallen out of love with them, no?
>>
>> Quit filling landfills with unsatisfactory pans and sayva-yo-mahnee..

> Non stick is like cooking with training wheels.

Okay... What do you use then?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" and others and I can't decipher who wrote what -

>>> Why do ppl keep trying non-stick pans? Eventually, we all have
>>> fallen out of love with them, no?
>>>
>>> Quit filling landfills with unsatisfactory pans and sayva-yo-mahnee..

>> Non stick is like cooking with training wheels.

> Okay... What do you use then?

I love non-stick. I gave the grandsons the cast iron. I can't lift it
anymore. If someone manufactures a big skillet with training wheels, send
it here. Our set of fine Volrath s/s is good for most things. Swooping
pancakes on a non-stick? Priceless. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly Esther wrote:
> "Julie Bove" and others and I can't decipher who wrote what -

>>> Non stick is like cooking with training wheels.

>> Okay... What do you use then?

> I love non-stick. I gave the grandsons the cast iron. I can't lift
> it anymore. If someone manufactures a big skillet with training
> wheels, send it here. Our set of fine Volrath s/s is good for most
> things. Swooping pancakes on a non-stick? Priceless. Polly

I tried cast iron twice. Maybe I got bad stuff but I didn't like it at all.
One was the little kind that came with Christmas food in it. I got it
marked down to something like 75% off after Christmas. I didn't want the
food. I just wanted a cast iron pan because I had heard that it was good.
I seasoned it like you are supposed to but the food stuck to it very badly.
I wound up throwing it out.

Some years later, I bought a little cast iron skillet. Seasoned it again.
Again, everything stuck to it. Those little skillets were so heavy, I can't
even imagine trying to heft a larger one.

I once tried a skillet that was at my BIL's cabin. I can't remember the
particulars now. It wasn't non-stick. I can't even remember what I
attempted to cook in it. But I do remember it sticking and making a mess
and I had to go out and buy some scrubbers because they didn't have any at
the cabin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 18:02:46 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> Meanwhile, back to cleaning a non-stick pan, I made quite a mess with my
> favorite non-stick skillet and went to Heloise for help. She said to fill
> it with water and one tablespoon dishwashER detergent, turn on the vent fan,
> boil the water for ten minutes. That worked very well. I've not quite
> familiar with what the controls on my new stove mean. Obviously, the E in
> Medium is too high for non-stick. Lesson learned. Polly

Polly, if you needed any sort of online help to clean that nonstick
pan on the nonstick part.... it's time to throw the d*mn thing out.
Really. Just do it and get another (cheap) one. Next time, don't be
so mean to your nonstick pan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1>
wrote:

> Non stick is like cooking with training wheels.

which makes it perfect for julie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote:

>>> Okay... What do you use then?

I don't own any non stick stove top cookware, I do have some non stick
bakeware, I have a collection of Nordic Ware.

>> I love non-stick. I gave the grandsons the cast iron. I can't lift
>> it anymore. If someone manufactures a big skillet with training
>> wheels, send it here. Our set of fine Volrath s/s is good for most
>> things. Swooping pancakes on a non-stick? Priceless. Polly

>I tried cast iron twice.

Professional cooks do not use cast iron or non stick, instead they use
carbon steel pans, they're light weight and can be seasoned exactly
the same as cast iron... carbon steel pans are available in far
greater diameter than cast iron... I've seen 24" carbon steel fry
pans. I own one piece of cast iron, a gingerbread house mold, but
it's more of a novelty, was used maybe a half dozen times some 40
years ago. Someone gave me a set of cast iron cookware, I used the
large pot once and tossed the entire set in the trash. The correct
nomenclature for cast iron is crap iron. There are many brands,
here's but one:
http://cutlerycuts.com/steel-pans.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message

> I don't own any non stick stove top cookware, I do have some non stick
> bakeware, I have a collection of Nordic Ware.
>
>>> I love non-stick. I gave the grandsons the cast iron. I can't lift
>>> it anymore. If someone manufactures a big skillet with training
>>> wheels, send it here. Our set of fine Volrath s/s is good for most
>>> things. Swooping pancakes on a non-stick? Priceless. Polly

>>I tried cast iron twice.

> Professional cooks do not use cast iron or non stick, instead they use
> carbon steel pans, they're light weight and can be seasoned exactly
> the same as cast iron... carbon steel pans are available in far
> greater diameter than cast iron... I've seen 24" carbon steel fry
> pans. I own one piece of cast iron, a gingerbread house mold, but
> it's more of a novelty, was used maybe a half dozen times some 40
> years ago. Someone gave me a set of cast iron cookware, I used the
> large pot once and tossed the entire set in the trash. The correct
> nomenclature for cast iron is crap iron. There are many brands,
> here's but one:
> http://cutlerycuts.com/steel-pans.htm

Okay. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Circulon has no coating. If you are desparate, toss it in the oven on
the oven cleaning setting. (600 deg for 3-4 hours?) I have done this
to my circulons that misbehave. Let it cool, oil it and then wash.
Good as new. Every stain will vanish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/13/12 12:43 PM, Thomas wrote:
> Circulon has no coating. If you are desparate, toss it in the oven on
> the oven cleaning setting. (600 deg for 3-4 hours?)

All current Circulon lines (Classic, Contempo, Elite, Infinite, and
Symmetry) have one or more Dupont coatings, which would be destroyed by
running through a self-cleaning oven cycle.

Further, according to their Web site, they've never made anything other
than hard-anodized exterior cookware with interior non-stick coatings
since their inception in 1985.

To which Circulon line are you referring in your claim above?

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Thomas" > wrote in message
> Circulon has no coating. If you are desparate, toss it in the oven on
> the oven cleaning setting. (600 deg for 3-4 hours?) I have done this
> to my circulons that misbehave. Let it cool, oil it and then wash.
> Good as new. Every stain will vanish.

I already threw it out. Two new ones came today.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Thomas" > wrote in message
>> Circulon has no coating. If you are desparate, toss it in the oven on
>> the oven cleaning setting. (600 deg for 3-4 hours?) I have done this
>> to my circulons that misbehave. Let it cool, oil it and then wash.
>> Good as new. Every stain will vanish.

> I already threw it out. Two new ones came today.

According to this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_8300203_care...-cookware.html

Using anything over low to medium heat will cause the food to stick. I
never used high but I did use medium-high. I will remember not to do that
now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 15:17:42 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Thomas" > wrote in message
> >> Circulon has no coating. If you are desparate, toss it in the oven on
> >> the oven cleaning setting. (600 deg for 3-4 hours?) I have done this
> >> to my circulons that misbehave. Let it cool, oil it and then wash.
> >> Good as new. Every stain will vanish.

> > I already threw it out. Two new ones came today.

> According to this:
>
> http://www.ehow.com/how_8300203_care...-cookware.html
>
> Using anything over low to medium heat will cause the food to stick. I
> never used high but I did use medium-high. I will remember not to do that
> now.

I can use low to med-high and get perfect results, but that's probably
because my burners put out more heat than the stove ehow used.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 15:17:42 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>> > I already threw it out. Two new ones came today.

>> According to this:
>>
>> http://www.ehow.com/how_8300203_care...-cookware.html
>>
>> Using anything over low to medium heat will cause the food to stick. I
>> never used high but I did use medium-high. I will remember not to do
>> that
>> now.
>>

> I can use low to med-high and get perfect results, but that's probably
> because my burners put out more heat than the stove ehow used.

I did read the instructions that came with the pans. Says only to use low
to medium heat. No pan spray and only olive or peanut oil if you want oil.
Other oils can cause food to stick.

I did notice that the Orgreenic pan did heat up a lot more quickly than the
Circulon. That was interesting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thomas wrote:

> Circulon has no coating. If you are desparate, toss it in the oven on
> the oven cleaning setting. (600 deg for 3-4 hours?) I have done this
> to my circulons that misbehave. Let it cool, oil it and then wash.
> Good as new. Every stain will vanish.

Speaking of self-cleaning ovens, I saw one recently that prescribed
removing the steel racks before running it. Anybody know why?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 15:17:42 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> According to this:
>>>
>>> http://www.ehow.com/how_8300203_care...-cookware.html
>>>
>>> Using anything over low to medium heat will cause the food to stick. I
>>> never used high but I did use medium-high. I will remember not to do
>>> that
>>> now.
>>>

>> I can use low to med-high and get perfect results, but that's probably
>> because my burners put out more heat than the stove ehow used.

> I did read the instructions that came with the pans. Says only to use low
> to medium heat. No pan spray and only olive or peanut oil if you want
> oil. Other oils can cause food to stick.
>
> I did notice that the Orgreenic pan did heat up a lot more quickly than
> the Circulon. That was interesting.

Probably just thinner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 08:32:57 -0400, George M. Middius
> wrote:

>Thomas wrote:
>
>> Circulon has no coating. If you are desparate, toss it in the oven on
>> the oven cleaning setting. (600 deg for 3-4 hours?) I have done this
>> to my circulons that misbehave. Let it cool, oil it and then wash.
>> Good as new. Every stain will vanish.

>Speaking of self-cleaning ovens, I saw one recently that prescribed
>removing the steel racks before running it. Anybody know why?

I think it used to be that all self cleaning ovens recommended that
the racks be removed during cleaning. Leaving the racks in spoiled
the rack surface and made them harder to clean and slide -- made them
less slick. I thought that being able to run the racks in the clean
cycle was a newer thing.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 08:32:57 -0400, George M. Middius
> > wrote:
>
>>Thomas wrote:
>>
>>> Circulon has no coating. If you are desparate, toss it in the oven on
>>> the oven cleaning setting. (600 deg for 3-4 hours?) I have done this
>>> to my circulons that misbehave. Let it cool, oil it and then wash.
>>> Good as new. Every stain will vanish.

>>Speaking of self-cleaning ovens, I saw one recently that prescribed
>>removing the steel racks before running it. Anybody know why?

> I think it used to be that all self cleaning ovens recommended that
> the racks be removed during cleaning. Leaving the racks in spoiled
> the rack surface and made them harder to clean and slide -- made them
> less slick. I thought that being able to run the racks in the clean
> cycle was a newer thing.
> Janet US

Huh. I've never removed my racks for cleaning.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 08:32:57 -0400, George M. Middius
> wrote:

>Thomas wrote:
>
>> Circulon has no coating. If you are desparate, toss it in the oven on
>> the oven cleaning setting. (600 deg for 3-4 hours?) I have done this
>> to my circulons that misbehave. Let it cool, oil it and then wash.
>> Good as new. Every stain will vanish.

>Speaking of self-cleaning ovens, I saw one recently that prescribed
>removing the steel racks before running it. Anybody know why?

The oven gets hot enough during the clean cycle to remove the temper
from the steel wire racks. Then they will no longer safely support
heavier foods like large lasagnas, hams, and turkeys. Commercial
stoves use much larger diameter wire for their oven racks so those
will survive the clean cycle but still I'd remove those too.