Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default hottest pepper

There seems to be a new hottest pepper in the world. Carolina reaper, from
south carolina. A place where I ordered seeds came out with that notice
today on Facebook. I'm growing this year, second generation seeds from last
year. Growing ghost peppers myself this year. I didn't plant regular Habs
this year because I have enough dried pepper, but I always enjoy the flavor
and smell from fresh grown. The ones at the store are usually sour. So the
new hottest pepper are about four times as hot as yellow habs. The stink
bugs attacked my ghosts last year, but not the yellow habs.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 23:48:26 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
wrote:

>There seems to be a new hottest pepper in the world. Carolina reaper, from
>south carolina. A place where I ordered seeds came out with that notice
>today on Facebook. I'm growing this year, second generation seeds from last
>year. Growing ghost peppers myself this year. I didn't plant regular Habs
>this year because I have enough dried pepper, but I always enjoy the flavor
>and smell from fresh grown. The ones at the store are usually sour. So the
>new hottest pepper are about four times as hot as yellow habs. The stink
>bugs attacked my ghosts last year, but not the yellow habs.
>
>Greg

what will you do with them?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 23:48:26 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
> wrote:
>
>> There seems to be a new hottest pepper in the world. Carolina reaper, from
>> south carolina. A place where I ordered seeds came out with that notice
>> today on Facebook. I'm growing this year, second generation seeds from last
>> year. Growing ghost peppers myself this year. I didn't plant regular Habs
>> this year because I have enough dried pepper, but I always enjoy the flavor
>> and smell from fresh grown. The ones at the store are usually sour. So the
>> new hottest pepper are about four times as hot as yellow habs. The stink
>> bugs attacked my ghosts last year, but not the yellow habs.
>>
>> Greg

> what will you do with them?
> Janet US

If I'm lucky I'll get a bunch and dry them. I only had 6 ghost peppers last
year, and I mixed those with some regular habs for pepper. No matter how
hot the pepper is, it downgrades over time. I add some salt to the
containers to help keep it dried. The ones that are opened frequently loose
hotness faster.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 01:56:12 +0000 (UTC), gregz wrote:
>
>> If I'm lucky I'll get a bunch and dry them. I only had 6 ghost peppers last
>> year, and I mixed those with some regular habs for pepper. No matter how
>> hot the pepper is, it downgrades over time. I add some salt to the
>> containers to help keep it dried. The ones that are opened frequently loose
>> hotness faster.

> I accidentally mixed my dried habs with my dried ghosts and now I
> can't tell which is which. I'm just going to throw them away and
> start again. They only cost $5.88/lb.
>
> -sw

I can get a good idea by color. Dried peppers should not turn brown, unless
your toasting them.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gregz wrote:

> Sqwertz > wrote:
> > On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 01:56:12 +0000 (UTC), gregz wrote:
> >
> >> If I'm lucky I'll get a bunch and dry them. I only had 6 ghost peppers last
> >> year, and I mixed those with some regular habs for pepper. No matter how
> >> hot the pepper is, it downgrades over time. I add some salt to the
> >> containers to help keep it dried. The ones that are opened frequently loose
> >> hotness faster.

> > I accidentally mixed my dried habs with my dried ghosts and now I
> > can't tell which is which. I'm just going to throw them away and
> > start again. They only cost $5.88/lb.
> >
> > -sw

> I can get a good idea by color. Dried peppers should not turn brown, unless
> your toasting them.

Not familiar with various hot peppers but I'm wondering why Steve threw out
the mix? Why not just use that mix to spice up a recipe?

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gregz wrote:
> There seems to be a new hottest pepper in the world. Carolina reaper, from
> south carolina. A place where I ordered seeds came out with that notice
> today on Facebook. I'm growing this year, second generation seeds from last
> year. Growing ghost peppers myself this year. I didn't plant regular Habs
> this year because I have enough dried pepper, but I always enjoy the flavor
> and smell from fresh grown. The ones at the store are usually sour. So the
> new hottest pepper are about four times as hot as yellow habs. The stink
> bugs attacked my ghosts last year, but not the yellow habs.
>
> Greg

First, BUGS like those things? Second, what is the point to
developing the ever-hotter chiles? Bragging rights?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 17:06:56 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
>> Not familiar with various hot peppers but I'm wondering why Steve threw out
>> the mix? Why not just use that mix to spice up a recipe?

> Because one is 4x hotter than the other and it's not easy to tell
> until after you use it (and how you use it). I'd rather throw away $2
> then ruin $10 or more of food.
>
> -sw

Couldn't you have labeled them? I don't think that even when I
was at the height of my fire-eating days that I'd have wanted to
eat a bhut jolokia, and now that has been surpassed how many times?
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 26, 2012 11:06:11 PM UTC-5, Jean B. wrote:
> gregz wrote:
>
> > There seems to be a new hottest pepper in the world. Carolina reaper, from

> > south carolina. A place where I ordered seeds came out with that notice

> > today on Facebook. I'm growing this year, second generation seeds from last

> > year. Growing ghost peppers myself this year. I didn't plant regular Habs

> > this year because I have enough dried pepper, but I always enjoy the flavor

> > and smell from fresh grown. The ones at the store are usually sour. So the

> > new hottest pepper are about four times as hot as yellow habs. The stink

> > bugs attacked my ghosts last year, but not the yellow habs.

> > Greg

> First, BUGS like those things?

Bugs might have attacked the leaves, rather than the fruits. He didn't specify. Besides, bugs probably don't have the receptors for capsaicin.

>Second, what is the point to
>
> developing the ever-hotter chiles? Bragging rights?

Yes.

> --
>
> Jean B.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan > wrote:
> On Sunday, August 26, 2012 11:06:11 PM UTC-5, Jean B. wrote:
>> gregz wrote:
>>
>>> There seems to be a new hottest pepper in the world. Carolina reaper, from

>>> south carolina. A place where I ordered seeds came out with that notice

>>> today on Facebook. I'm growing this year, second generation seeds from last

>>> year. Growing ghost peppers myself this year. I didn't plant regular Habs

>>> this year because I have enough dried pepper, but I always enjoy the flavor

>>> and smell from fresh grown. The ones at the store are usually sour. So the

>>> new hottest pepper are about four times as hot as yellow habs. The stink

>>> bugs attacked my ghosts last year, but not the yellow habs.

>>> Greg

>> First, BUGS like those things?

> Bugs might have attacked the leaves, rather than the fruits. He didn't
> specify. Besides, bugs probably don't have the receptors for capsaicin.

The bugs seemed to hang around the tops of the peppers. They liked the
squash plants the most, then bell peppers. They liked chile and jalapeƱo
plants. The bugs seemed to start sucking the sides of peppers leaving
spots, which turned bad. I only grew ghost peppers this year, but they are
late in developing.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 00:10:52 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Because one is 4x hotter than the other and it's not easy to tell
>>> until after you use it (and how you use it). I'd rather throw away $2
>>> then ruin $10 or more of food.

>> Couldn't you have labeled them?

> What's the fun in that?
>
> I just made some naga jolokia potato chips. Took a bag of Lay's
> classic and sprinkled it with a freshly ground ghost pepper and smoked
> salt. It hurts so good.
>
> -sw

Yowee! That last part sounds a bit masochistic.

--
Jean B.