Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Default The Hottest Chilli?

Some WWW sites say that the Red Savina is the hottest. Some say the
Habanero, Scotch bonnet or sometimes the Naga Jolokia.

So what really *is* the hottest chilli?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Corey Richardson wrote:
> Some WWW sites say that the Red Savina is the hottest. Some say the
> Habanero, Scotch bonnet or sometimes the Naga Jolokia.
>
> So what really *is* the hottest chilli?

I have to wonder if it is a matter of personal taste. Years ago we went
to dinner at a Thai restaurant with another couple. We had mussels with
two different hot dipping sauces. My wife and her friend thought that
one sauce was much hotter than the other, but the husband and I thought
the other sauce was hotter.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
m...
> Corey Richardson wrote:
>> Some WWW sites say that the Red Savina is the hottest. Some say the
>> Habanero, Scotch bonnet or sometimes the Naga Jolokia.
>>
>> So what really *is* the hottest chilli?
>>

> I have to wonder if it is a matter of personal taste. Years ago we went to
> dinner at a Thai restaurant with another couple. We had mussels with two
> different hot dipping sauces. My wife and her friend thought that one
> sauce was much hotter than the other, but the husband and I thought the
> other sauce was hotter.

Penzy's catalog lists the Piquin pepper at 140,000 Scoville Units-the
highest.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Kswck said...

#1 Bud and girlfriend invited us to a Thai restaurant in L.A., the name of
it escapes me. I was encouraged to taste a pepper, green, almost the size
of a pea. It was hotter then hell! They were served in a small bowl for
those who chose to add them to their meals.

NOT as hot as habañeros, fer sure!

Andy
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On 15 Aug, 23:40, Corey Richardson > wrote:
> Some WWW sites say that the Red Savina is the hottest. Some say the
> Habanero, Scotch bonnet or sometimes the Naga Jolokia.
>
> So what really *is* the hottest chilli?

Dorset Naga. It rates 923,000 scovies.

Here's a list of hot chillies:

Dorset Naga: 923,000

Red Savina habanero: 577,000

Scotch bonnet: 100,000-325,000

Jamaican hot pepper: 100,000-200,000

Cayenne pepper: 30,000-50,000

Jalapeno pepper: 2,500-8,000

Dragonblaze

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

> habañeros, fer sure!

no tilde in the spelling of habanero, fer sure.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

The DORSET NAGA , is the hottest recorded chilli... I am in the
process of growing 3 plants , unfortueatle no fruit as yet.. I did
buy a pot of crushed naga`s , and i was lit up like a "x-mas tree" ,
for a long time...
Try this site for info : http://www.dorsetnaga.com

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 15, 5:40*pm, Corey Richardson >
wrote:
> Some WWW sites say that the Red Savina is the hottest. Some say the
> Habanero, Scotch bonnet or sometimes the Naga Jolokia.
>
> So what really *is* the hottest chilli?

Gourmet August 2008 has a good article about hot vs. hotter chilis.
This is really well written by a guy who trekked all the way to the
middle of nowhere (Tibet?) to taste the Jolokia.

Their little chart says:
Bhut Jolokia, from India, 1,001,304 Scoville Units
Dorset Naga, from England (?!?!?!), 878884 Scoville Units
Red Savina Habanero, from California, 577,000 Scoville Units
Santaka, from Japan, 100,000 Scoville Units
Jalapeno, from Mexico, 8000 Scoville Units
Ancho, from Turkey, 1800 Scoville Units

There's another (very funny) article in (either) Bon Appetit (in the
August issue?) or in Gourmet's August issue by a guy who farms chilis
in PA and sells 'em at Farmers' Markets.

They're worth a trip to your public library.

Lynn
Armchair Traveler in Fargo

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 05:42:00 -0700 (PDT), Dragonblaze
> wrote:

>On 15 Aug, 23:40, Corey Richardson > wrote:
>> Some WWW sites say that the Red Savina is the hottest. Some say the
>> Habanero, Scotch bonnet or sometimes the Naga Jolokia.
>>
>> So what really *is* the hottest chilli?

>Dorset Naga. It rates 923,000 scovies.
>
>Here's a list of hot chillies:
>
>Dorset Naga: 923,000
>
>Red Savina habanero: 577,000
>
>Scotch bonnet: 100,000-325,000
>
>Jamaican hot pepper: 100,000-200,000
>
>Cayenne pepper: 30,000-50,000
>
>Jalapeno pepper: 2,500-8,000
>
>Dragonblaze

Thanks for that. And to think I thought Scotch bonnets were hot!
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 13:09:19 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo
> wrote:

>On Aug 15, 5:40*pm, Corey Richardson >
>wrote:
>> Some WWW sites say that the Red Savina is the hottest. Some say the
>> Habanero, Scotch bonnet or sometimes the Naga Jolokia.
>>
>> So what really *is* the hottest chilli?

>Gourmet August 2008 has a good article about hot vs. hotter chilis.
>This is really well written by a guy who trekked all the way to the
>middle of nowhere (Tibet?) to taste the Jolokia.
>
>Their little chart says:
>Bhut Jolokia, from India, 1,001,304 Scoville Units
>Dorset Naga, from England (?!?!?!), 878884 Scoville Units
>Red Savina Habanero, from California, 577,000 Scoville Units
>Santaka, from Japan, 100,000 Scoville Units
>Jalapeno, from Mexico, 8000 Scoville Units
>Ancho, from Turkey, 1800 Scoville Units

No mention of Scotch bonnet's there, I wonder why?

I quite like Encona Hot Pepper Sauce which is a mix of Habaneros and
Scotch bonnets.

>There's another (very funny) article in (either) Bon Appetit (in the
>August issue?) or in Gourmet's August issue by a guy who farms chilis
>in PA and sells 'em at Farmers' Markets.
>
>They're worth a trip to your public library.

Thanks, I'll do that.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Dragonblaze wrote:

> On 15 Aug, 23:40, Corey Richardson > wrote:
>
>>Some WWW sites say that the Red Savina is the hottest. Some say the
>>Habanero, Scotch bonnet or sometimes the Naga Jolokia.
>>
>>So what really *is* the hottest chilli?

> Dorset Naga. It rates 923,000 scovies.
>
> Here's a list of hot chillies:
>
> Dorset Naga: 923,000
>
> Red Savina habanero: 577,000
>
> Scotch bonnet: 100,000-325,000
>
> Jamaican hot pepper: 100,000-200,000
>
> Cayenne pepper: 30,000-50,000
>
> Jalapeno pepper: 2,500-8,000
>
> Dragonblaze

According to this morning's Daily Mail the Dorset Naga is rated at 1.6
million units. Tesco are selling them im 10 gram sachets.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 23:13:08 +0100, Dave >
wrote:

>Dragonblaze wrote:
>
>> On 15 Aug, 23:40, Corey Richardson > wrote:
>>
>>>Some WWW sites say that the Red Savina is the hottest. Some say the
>>>Habanero, Scotch bonnet or sometimes the Naga Jolokia.
>>>
>>>So what really *is* the hottest chilli?

>> Dorset Naga. It rates 923,000 scovies.
>>
>> Here's a list of hot chillies:
>>
>> Dorset Naga: 923,000
>>
>> Red Savina habanero: 577,000
>>
>> Scotch bonnet: 100,000-325,000
>>
>> Jamaican hot pepper: 100,000-200,000
>>
>> Cayenne pepper: 30,000-50,000
>>
>> Jalapeno pepper: 2,500-8,000
>>
>> Dragonblaze

>According to this morning's Daily Mail the Dorset Naga is rated at 1.6
>million units. Tesco are selling them im 10 gram sachets.

Now that must be very, very hot!

So hot they're almost useless?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo wrote:

> On Aug 15, 5:40 pm, Corey Richardson >
> wrote:
> > Some WWW sites say that the Red Savina is the hottest. Some say the
> > Habanero, Scotch bonnet or sometimes the Naga Jolokia.
> >
> > So what really *is* the hottest chilli?

> Gourmet August 2008 has a good article about hot vs. hotter chilis.
> This is really well written by a guy who trekked all the way to the
> middle of nowhere (Tibet?) to taste the Jolokia.
>
> Their little chart says:
> Bhut Jolokia, from India, 1,001,304 Scoville Units
> Dorset Naga, from England (?!?!?!), 878884 Scoville Units
> Red Savina Habanero, from California, 577,000 Scoville Units
> Santaka, from Japan, 100,000 Scoville Units
> Jalapeno, from Mexico, 8000 Scoville Units
> Ancho, from Turkey, 1800 Scoville Units
>
> There's another (very funny) article in (either) Bon Appetit (in the
> August issue?) or in Gourmet's August issue by a guy who farms chilis
> in PA and sells 'em at Farmers' Markets.
>
> They're worth a trip to your public library.
>
> Lynn
> Armchair Traveler in Fargo

If you want to grow Bhut Jolokia seeds are available he
http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/...stitute-c.html

They are experts in anything regarding the growth, marketing and heat of
chiles.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 23:31:00 -0600, That Rich
> wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 07:09:14 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>Kswck said...
>>

>>> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>>> m...

>>> Penzy's catalog lists the Piquin pepper at 140,000 Scoville Units-the
>>> highest.

>>#1 Bud and girlfriend invited us to a Thai restaurant in L.A., the name of
>>it escapes me. I was encouraged to taste a pepper, green, almost the size
>>of a pea. It was hotter then hell! They were served in a small bowl for
>>those who chose to add them to their meals.
>>
>>NOT as hot as habañeros, fer sure!
>>
>>Andy

>Sounds like what we call "chile del monte" here.

I'd like to see a picture of them. JPG por favor?

Mae West
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 23:27:58 +0100, Corey Richardson
> wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 23:13:08 +0100, Dave >
>wrote:
>
>>Dragonblaze wrote:
>>
>>> On 15 Aug, 23:40, Corey Richardson > wrote:
>>>

>>According to this morning's Daily Mail the Dorset Naga is rated at 1.6
>>million units. Tesco are selling them im 10 gram sachets.

>Now that must be very, very hot!
>
>So hot they're almost useless?

Maybe not for commercial purposes, where a little can go a long way.

Mae West

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 16, 11:31*am, "just joe" > wrote:
> > *habañeros, fer sure!

> no tilde in the spelling of habanero, fer sure.

Says who?

T.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

> Maybe not for commercial purposes, where a little can go a long way.
>

> --
> I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the
> number of carats in a diamond.
>
> Mae West

They are very hot, I have 4 growing in my greenhouse.
Before you ask we do use them.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 21, 5:14*am, tbs48 > wrote:
> On Aug 16, 11:31*am, "just joe" > wrote:
>
> > > *habañeros, fer sure!

> > no tilde in the spelling of habanero, fer sure.

> Says who?
>
> T.

The dictionary
Member

Hello. We were absolutely delighted when we spotted packs of Dorset Naga Chillies on Tesco shelves the other day.

However something is terribly wrong. They just don't have any heat! My husband and I love hot chillies and grow our own chillies in the greenhouse each year. It is always a challenge to grow really nice hot ones and we've so been looking forward to cooking with (and munching on) Dorset Nagas. We can't seem to manage to grow that variety.

The packet of Dorset Naga we have just used (bought at Tesco) really doesn't have any heat (nor at the moment do Tesco's Scotch Bonnet chillies). In fact to be honest the little green birdseyes have more heat than the Nagas they are selling. I just don't understand how they can sell chillies under the name of Dorset Nagas when they are clearly not very hot.

What do you think is going on? Has anyone else on this forum experience the same thing or is it just me?

Yvonne

10 hottest hot sauces Zz Yzx General Cooking 6 11-02-2013 01:24 AM
hottest pepper gregz General Cooking 12 28-08-2012 04:01 AM
The Hottest Chilli? Corey Richardson[_2_] General Cooking 22 21-08-2008 02:56 PM
Hottest Chilis thread Lynn from Fargo General Cooking 2 17-08-2008 06:25 AM
The Hottest Charcoal Michael \(Piedmont\) Barbecue 7 16-06-2007 10:02 AM