Old 15-08-2008, 11:40 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Default The Hottest Chilli?

Some WWW sites say that the Red Savina is the hottest. Some say the
Habanero, Scotch bonnet or sometimes the Naga Jolokia.

So what really *is* the hottest chilli?

Old 16-08-2008, 12:04 AM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Corey Richardson wrote:
Some WWW sites say that the Red Savina is the hottest. Some say the
Habanero, Scotch bonnet or sometimes the Naga Jolokia.

So what really *is* the hottest chilli?

I have to wonder if it is a matter of personal taste. Years ago we went
to dinner at a Thai restaurant with another couple. We had mussels with
two different hot dipping sauces. My wife and her friend thought that
one sauce was much hotter than the other, but the husband and I thought
the other sauce was hotter.
Old 16-08-2008, 01:03 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
m...
Corey Richardson wrote:
Some WWW sites say that the Red Savina is the hottest. Some say the
Habanero, Scotch bonnet or sometimes the Naga Jolokia.

So what really *is* the hottest chilli?

I have to wonder if it is a matter of personal taste. Years ago we went to
dinner at a Thai restaurant with another couple. We had mussels with two
different hot dipping sauces. My wife and her friend thought that one
sauce was much hotter than the other, but the husband and I thought the
other sauce was hotter.

Penzy's catalog lists the Piquin pepper at 140,000 Scoville Units-the
highest.

#1 Bud and girlfriend invited us to a Thai restaurant in L.A., the name of
it escapes me. I was encouraged to taste a pepper, green, almost the size
of a pea. It was hotter then hell! They were served in a small bowl for
those who chose to add them to their meals.

NOT as hot as habañeros, fer sure!

Andy
Old 16-08-2008, 01:42 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On 15 Aug, 23:40, Corey Richardson wrote:
Some WWW sites say that the Red Savina is the hottest. Some say the
Habanero, Scotch bonnet or sometimes the Naga Jolokia.

So what really *is* the hottest chilli?

Dorset Naga. It rates 923,000 scovies.

Here's a list of hot chillies:

Dorset Naga: 923,000

Red Savina habanero: 577,000

Scotch bonnet: 100,000-325,000

Jamaican hot pepper: 100,000-200,000

Cayenne pepper: 30,000-50,000

Jalapeno pepper: 2,500-8,000

Dragonblaze

Old 16-08-2008, 04:31 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

habañeros, fer sure!

no tilde in the spelling of habanero, fer sure.

Old 16-08-2008, 06:48 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

The DORSET NAGA , is the hottest recorded chilli... I am in the
process of growing 3 plants , unfortueatle no fruit as yet.. I did
buy a pot of crushed naga`s , and i was lit up like a "x-mas tree" ,
for a long time...
Try this site for info : http://www.dorsetnaga.com

Old 16-08-2008, 09:09 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 15, 5:40*pm, Corey Richardson
wrote:
Some WWW sites say that the Red Savina is the hottest. Some say the
Habanero, Scotch bonnet or sometimes the Naga Jolokia.

So what really *is* the hottest chilli?

Gourmet August 2008 has a good article about hot vs. hotter chilis.
This is really well written by a guy who trekked all the way to the
middle of nowhere (Tibet?) to taste the Jolokia.

Their little chart says:
Bhut Jolokia, from India, 1,001,304 Scoville Units
Dorset Naga, from England (?!?!?!), 878884 Scoville Units
Red Savina Habanero, from California, 577,000 Scoville Units
Santaka, from Japan, 100,000 Scoville Units
Jalapeno, from Mexico, 8000 Scoville Units
Ancho, from Turkey, 1800 Scoville Units

There's another (very funny) article in (either) Bon Appetit (in the
August issue?) or in Gourmet's August issue by a guy who farms chilis
in PA and sells 'em at Farmers' Markets.

They're worth a trip to your public library.

Lynn
Armchair Traveler in Fargo

Old 16-08-2008, 11:05 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 05:42:00 -0700 (PDT), Dragonblaze
wrote:

On 15 Aug, 23:40, Corey Richardson wrote:
Some WWW sites say that the Red Savina is the hottest. Some say the
Habanero, Scotch bonnet or sometimes the Naga Jolokia.

So what really *is* the hottest chilli?

Dorset Naga. It rates 923,000 scovies.

Here's a list of hot chillies:

Dorset Naga: 923,000

Red Savina habanero: 577,000

Scotch bonnet: 100,000-325,000

Jamaican hot pepper: 100,000-200,000

Cayenne pepper: 30,000-50,000

Jalapeno pepper: 2,500-8,000

Dragonblaze

Thanks for that. And to think I thought Scotch bonnets were hot!
Old 16-08-2008, 11:09 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

wrote:
Some WWW sites say that the Red Savina is the hottest. Some say the
Habanero, Scotch bonnet or sometimes the Naga Jolokia.

So what really *is* the hottest chilli?

Gourmet August 2008 has a good article about hot vs. hotter chilis.
This is really well written by a guy who trekked all the way to the
middle of nowhere (Tibet?) to taste the Jolokia.

Their little chart says:
Bhut Jolokia, from India, 1,001,304 Scoville Units
Dorset Naga, from England (?!?!?!), 878884 Scoville Units
Red Savina Habanero, from California, 577,000 Scoville Units
Santaka, from Japan, 100,000 Scoville Units
Jalapeno, from Mexico, 8000 Scoville Units
Ancho, from Turkey, 1800 Scoville Units

No mention of Scotch bonnet's there, I wonder why?

I quite like Encona Hot Pepper Sauce which is a mix of Habaneros and
Scotch bonnets.

There's another (very funny) article in (either) Bon Appetit (in the
August issue?) or in Gourmet's August issue by a guy who farms chilis
in PA and sells 'em at Farmers' Markets.

They're worth a trip to your public library.

Thanks, I'll do that.

Old 16-08-2008, 11:13 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Dragonblaze wrote:

On 15 Aug, 23:40, Corey Richardson wrote:

Some WWW sites say that the Red Savina is the hottest. Some say the
Habanero, Scotch bonnet or sometimes the Naga Jolokia.

So what really *is* the hottest chilli?

Dorset Naga. It rates 923,000 scovies.

Here's a list of hot chillies:

Dorset Naga: 923,000

Red Savina habanero: 577,000

Scotch bonnet: 100,000-325,000

Jamaican hot pepper: 100,000-200,000

Cayenne pepper: 30,000-50,000

Jalapeno pepper: 2,500-8,000

Dragonblaze

According to this morning's Daily Mail the Dorset Naga is rated at 1.6
million units. Tesco are selling them im 10 gram sachets.

Old 16-08-2008, 11:27 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 23:13:08 +0100, Dave
wrote:

Dragonblaze wrote:

On 15 Aug, 23:40, Corey Richardson wrote:

Some WWW sites say that the Red Savina is the hottest. Some say the
Habanero, Scotch bonnet or sometimes the Naga Jolokia.

So what really *is* the hottest chilli?

Dorset Naga. It rates 923,000 scovies.

Here's a list of hot chillies:

Dorset Naga: 923,000

Red Savina habanero: 577,000

Scotch bonnet: 100,000-325,000

Jamaican hot pepper: 100,000-200,000

Cayenne pepper: 30,000-50,000

Jalapeno pepper: 2,500-8,000

Dragonblaze

According to this morning's Daily Mail the Dorset Naga is rated at 1.6
million units. Tesco are selling them im 10 gram sachets.

Now that must be very, very hot!

So hot they're almost useless?

Old 17-08-2008, 04:16 AM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

wrote:
[...]

If you want to grow Bhut Jolokia seeds are available he
http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/...stitute-c.html

They are experts in anything regarding the growth, marketing and heat of
chiles.

#1 Bud and girlfriend invited us to a Thai restaurant in L.A., the name of
it escapes me. I was encouraged to taste a pepper, green, almost the size
of a pea. It was hotter then hell! They were served in a small bowl for
those who chose to add them to their meals.

NOT as hot as habañeros, fer sure!

Andy

Sounds like what we call "chile del monte" here.

I'd like to see a picture of them. JPG por favor?

Mae West
Old 17-08-2008, 07:53 PM posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Dragonblaze wrote:

On 15 Aug, 23:40, Corey Richardson wrote:

According to this morning's Daily Mail the Dorset Naga is rated at 1.6
million units. Tesco are selling them im 10 gram sachets.

Now that must be very, very hot!

So hot they're almost useless?

Maybe not for commercial purposes, where a little can go a long way.

Mae West

10 hottest hot sauces Zz Yzx General Cooking 6 11-02-2013 01:24 AM
hottest pepper gregz General Cooking 12 28-08-2012 04:01 AM
The Hottest Chilli? Corey Richardson[_2_] General Cooking 22 21-08-2008 02:56 PM
Hottest Chilis thread Lynn from Fargo General Cooking 2 17-08-2008 06:25 AM
The Hottest Charcoal Michael \(Piedmont\) Barbecue 7 16-06-2007 10:02 AM