Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Back to School Cooking

Our first day of school is tomorrow. Yesterday, I made a big batch of
sausage and cheese breakfast sandwiches to feed the freezer -- cooked
sausage patty and sharp cheddar cheese on a bun. I also made a big
batch of snack mix for my boys' daily snack time. I mixed pretzel
sticks, cereal, and a bag of trail mix (nuts, seeds, and dried fruit)
in a storage container. Tomorrow's serving of snack mix will also
have the rest of today's popcorn mixed in.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 12, 4:59*pm, Tara > wrote:
> Our first day of school is tomorrow. *Yesterday, I made a big batch of
> sausage and cheese breakfast sandwiches to feed the freezer *-- cooked
> sausage patty and sharp cheddar cheese on a bun. *I also made a big
> batch of snack mix for my boys' daily snack time. *I mixed pretzel
> sticks, cereal, and a bag of trail mix (nuts, seeds, and dried fruit)
> in a storage container. *Tomorrow's serving of snack mix will also
> have the rest of today's popcorn mixed in.
>
> Tara

Yikes- that's just too early for school to start! IMO, it should be
after Labor Day.
Good for you to get a head start on the meals, and you have some nice
snacks- better than cookies & chips...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 12, 7:05*pm, merryb > wrote:

> On Aug 12, 4:59*pm, Tara > wrote:
>
> > Our first day of school is tomorrow.

> > Tara

> Yikes- that's just too early for school to start! IMO, it should be
> after Labor Day.

School started here August 01. Too early in my opinion as well;
school always started the Tuesday after labor day when I was a kid a
hundred years ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 12, 8:33*pm, Nancy Young > wrote:

> On 8/12/2012 8:34 PM, wrote:

> >> Yikes- that's just too early for school to start! IMO, it should be
> >> after Labor Day.

> > School started here August 01. *Too early in my opinion as well;
> > school always started the Tuesday after labor day when I was a kid a
> > hundred years ago.

> Same here. *What's up with the early start, is it a farming
> community that has to close for bringing in the crops or
> something?
>
> nancy

Some of it's for testing as sf said and some for snow days which we
have very little of. Ice yes, snow no. My city has a population of
600,000.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 19:34:19 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Aug 12, 8:33*pm, Nancy Young > wrote:

>> > School started here August 01. *Too early in my opinion as well;
>> > school always started the Tuesday after labor day when I was a kid a
>> > hundred years ago.

>> Same here. *What's up with the early start, is it a farming
>> community that has to close for bringing in the crops or
>> something?
>>
>> nancy
>>

>Some of it's for testing as sf said and some for snow days which we
>have very little of. Ice yes, snow no. My city has a population of
>600,000.

One of my grandsons started school a week ago. His older brother
starts junior high at the end of August. They both finish school at
the end of May. That's crazy. They are not in a farming community.
They don't have to worry about snow days.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:
> Our first day of school is tomorrow. Yesterday, I made a big batch of
> sausage and cheese breakfast sandwiches to feed the freezer -- cooked
> sausage patty and sharp cheddar cheese on a bun. I also made a big
> batch of snack mix for my boys' daily snack time. I mixed pretzel
> sticks, cereal, and a bag of trail mix (nuts, seeds, and dried fruit)
> in a storage container. Tomorrow's serving of snack mix will also
> have the rest of today's popcorn mixed in.
>
> Tara

Our school doesn't start till the 5th of Sept. Luckily I don't have to cook
for breakfast or lunch. Daughter mainly eats carrots, apples and cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" wrote in message ...

Our first day of school is tomorrow. Yesterday, I made a big batch of
sausage and cheese breakfast sandwiches to feed the freezer -- cooked
sausage patty and sharp cheddar cheese on a bun. I also made a big
batch of snack mix for my boys' daily snack time. I mixed pretzel
sticks, cereal, and a bag of trail mix (nuts, seeds, and dried fruit)
in a storage container. Tomorrow's serving of snack mix will also
have the rest of today's popcorn mixed in.

Tara

I *might* get up and cook breakfast on a school day, since DH gets up for
work at 5:30am) but after elementary school there is no snacktime (and
school has cheap or free breakfast)and kids wouldn't be caught dead with a
lunch from home.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/12/2012 11:01 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Our school doesn't start till the 5th of Sept. Luckily I don't have to cook
> for breakfast or lunch. Daughter mainly eats carrots, apples and cheese.

How lucky for you. I cooked breakfast every day for my husband and
children, and I hope they appreciated it. Now, I get tired of eggs,
since I cooked them for so many years. I like eggs, I just get tired of
them.

School begins here on Aug 13, which is a little later than when I was in
school. Band practice and football practice begins the first week in
July, in spite of July 4th. School is out at the end of May.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ema Nymton" > wrote in message
> On 8/12/2012 11:01 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Our school doesn't start till the 5th of Sept. Luckily I don't have to
>> cook
>> for breakfast or lunch. Daughter mainly eats carrots, apples and cheese.

> How lucky for you. I cooked breakfast every day for my husband and
> children, and I hope they appreciated it. Now, I get tired of eggs, since
> I cooked them for so many years. I like eggs, I just get tired of them.

Wow! I didn't grow up eating cooked brekfasts unless you count the oatmeal
that my mom made. I really hated that stuff because she insisted on putting
raisins in it. When they came out with the instant packets, she got us
those but she did put the water on to boil. Mostly we ate cereal. My mom
didn't think bread was good for us so we rarely got that. I never really
liked eggs.

I never really cooked breakfast for my daughter because she didn't like the
typical breakfast foods. And because I have diabetes I never kept stuff in
the house like pancakes or the ingredients to make them. Some time later
when she was diagnosed with the wheat/gluten intolerance I did try making
some gluten free bagels, muffins and pancakes. They weren't really very
good and they mostly went to waste. So I quit making those. Thankfully she
can eat wheat now. That makes things a lot easier.

> School begins here on Aug 13, which is a little later than when I was in
> school. Band practice and football practice begins the first week in
> July, in spite of July 4th. School is out at the end of May.

Our school began at the end of August for the past couple of years. I never
can figure out how they can figure the start time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14/08/2012 6:12 PM, Cheryl wrote:

> Its been before labor day for several years. I'm not sure when that
> started. It messes up some families vacations when they want to have
> one the week of labor day. I'm not sure when school startes up again
> here but maybe the week before labor day.

School starts up the day after Labour Day here. It has messed up our
vacation plans because we have an annual vacation at a place that is a
kids camp and has a two week family camp session at the end of the
summer, usually the week before and after Labour Day. My wife was a
teacher and she had to be at school for a few days before the school
year. The camp had a 5 day minimum and we missed a few years because we
could not get the minimum in before school.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Another goodie would be to make a large frittata, slice to fit between toast triangles for an in-the-hand b'fast. Good warm or cold.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 16:51:37 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>Another goodie would be to make a large frittata, slice to fit between toast triangles for an in-the-hand b'fast. Good warm or cold.

That sounds good!

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/13/2012 6:40 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Wow! I didn't grow up eating cooked brekfasts unless you count the oatmeal
> that my mom made. I really hated that stuff because she insisted on putting
> raisins in it. When they came out with the instant packets, she got us
> those but she did put the water on to boil. Mostly we ate cereal. My mom
> didn't think bread was good for us so we rarely got that. I never really
> liked eggs.

Same here, alcoholic mom's do not cook breakfast, but she would cook
breakfast when my father was home, which was rare, he was offshore for
weeks at a time, or out of the country. Before the housekeeper showed
up, she would make us run around the house, and throw away all of the
liquor or beer bottles, as if Bessie didn't know she was a drunk.

When my firstborn was a toddler, I read an article that said children
made better grades when they ate a high protein breakfast, so I cooked
breakfast. I did not mind, I just got tired of eggs.

BTW, if I cooked fried eggs, then I liked "the other one" better, and if
I cooked scrambled eggs, then I liked "the other one" better, so I made
a lot of hard cooked eggs to stop them from complaining. After a while,
they promised if I quit making hard cooked eggs, they would stop
complaining, and they did. Kids!

Becca