Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Vegan Deviled Eggs!

This will probably bring the loonies out-- but screw 'em. If you
can't or don't want to eat eggs doesn't mean you don't like the taste.

http://lagustasluscious.wordpress.co...ook-like-eggs/
[worth looking at for the great photo-- and for "Maresa’s response "
when someone asked why Vegans wanted to make deviled eggs]

These don't look as nice- but are similar
http://vegangoodeats.com/2010/06/a-s...sans-the-eggs/

Both use Black Salt [Kala Namak] for the egg flavor-- Hope the Asian
store has some.

This looks like fun-. . .

2 days later-- Found an Indian Supermarket-- and it *was* fun.

I went more or less with the top link. I hadn't tried out the agar
before but was thrilled with how it works.

I used coconut milk made from powder instead of soy-- and instead of
tofu I used a pound of cooked navy beans. The Vegan Mayonnaise I
used is a bean based one we make. And instead of waiting until I
could pick up an egg mold, I just made the whites in a loaf pan-- and
chopped them up for an egg salad.

I'm still working out the nutritional value, but these might be the
perfect cholesterol free egg. Some of the vegan experiments I've
done were passable. Some were even good substitutes. But these
were dead ringers. The whites are like perfect boiled eggs-- the
yolk has the creaminess with just a touch of texture--- and the taste
is *dead on*.

My daughter is eating the first batch as egg salad and as egg
sandwiches-- I'm debating on looking for an egg mold or just making
square deviled eggs in my square muffin pan.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 21:06:54 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>
>> This will probably bring the loonies out-- but screw 'em.

> The loonies are the ones who go to great lengths to make vegetables
> look and taste like meat. It's proof that they really WANT to eat
> meat. All they're doing is acknowledging and promoting that teh
> eating of meat is a necessary trait of the human race. And it will
> take hundreds of thousands of years to breed that craving out of us
> (by natural means). It's truly an uphill battle that will not be won
> any time soon.
>
> I think THAT is nuts. Why not just make your vegetables look like
> vegetables? Or some other shapes other than those that represent
> foods that you're desperately trying to avoid?
>
> -sw

It's for people who've *converted* from meat-eaters to vegetarians who
still like the taste of meat but don't eat it out of protest for the way
animals are raised. (A chicken shouldn't spend its entire life in a
cage the size of a shoebox) I don't see a problem with that.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 21:06:54 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>>
>>> This will probably bring the loonies out-- but screw 'em.

>> The loonies are the ones who go to great lengths to make vegetables
>> look and taste like meat. It's proof that they really WANT to eat
>> meat. All they're doing is acknowledging and promoting that teh
>> eating of meat is a necessary trait of the human race. And it will
>> take hundreds of thousands of years to breed that craving out of us
>> (by natural means). It's truly an uphill battle that will not be won
>> any time soon.
>>
>> I think THAT is nuts. Why not just make your vegetables look like
>> vegetables? Or some other shapes other than those that represent
>> foods that you're desperately trying to avoid?
>>
>> -sw

> It's for people who've *converted* from meat-eaters to vegetarians who
> still like the taste of meat but don't eat it out of protest for the way
> animals are raised. (A chicken shouldn't spend its entire life in a cage
> the size of a shoebox) I don't see a problem with that.
>
> Bob

Or even a person with an egg allergy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 21:06:54 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>
>> This will probably bring the loonies out-- but screw 'em.

>The loonies are the ones who go to great lengths to make vegetables
>look and taste like meat. It's proof that they really WANT to eat
>meat.

I've never heard a vegan-- or more importantly, someone who *can't*
eat eggs for some health reason say "Meat/eggs taste bad."

>All they're doing is acknowledging and promoting that teh
>eating of meat is a necessary trait of the human race.

If you look at the number of perfectly healthy vegans out there,
you'll have to acknowledge that *that* just ain't so.

>And it will
>take hundreds of thousands of years to breed that craving out of us
>(by natural means). It's truly an uphill battle that will not be won
>any time soon.

Big difference between craving and need. I sure don't *need* huge
amounts of fried foods or ice cream.

>I think THAT is nuts. Why not just make your vegetables look like
>vegetables? Or some other shapes other than those that represent
>foods that you're desperately trying to avoid?

I think the gal who made the recipe answered that perfectly- here's
the quote from her page;
http://lagustasluscious.wordpress.co...ook-like-eggs/
xxxxxxxxxx
"Great question! I usually hate stuff like this. We did it for a few
reasons: 1. the fun challenge of nailing a taste and texture that are
decidedly Not Vegan. 2. Deviled eggs, to me, taste good. I’m not vegan
because meat and dairy and eggs taste bad- I’m vegan because those
industries are too effed up to support. 3. Nostalgia. My grandma used
to make deviled eggs and now she can’t, so someone’s gotta do it, and
I’m not going to touch a chicken’s period. That said, Enjoy! Hope you
make em if you want em!"
xxxxxxxxxxx

I'm not vegan, but the payoff for me was getting to use 2 new
ingredients-- and having a perfect egg substitute up my sleeve for the
next time I make a potato salad for my folks who limit eggs for health
reasons.

Jim
Senior Member

Location: WI

Pretty celever, I thought. It does take great creativity to recreate a food like that.

Personally, I love eggs and eat them all of the time. Perhaps the prefect food, IMHO.

Still, it's cool when people are so creative.
Nothing goofy about that; and hot dang I like deviled eggs.

I won't go to these lengths; but thanks for posting this.

deviled eggs? Peppermint Patootie Diabetic 1 01-11-2013 10:09 PM
deviled eggs? Ozgirl Diabetic 4 14-10-2013 02:22 AM
? about Deviled Eggs Lass Chance_2 General Cooking 55 16-11-2008 02:40 AM
Tex-Mex Deviled Eggs curmudgeon Mexican Cooking 0 17-05-2007 11:55 PM
Deviled Eggs Recipes (moderated) 0 22-04-2004 03:22 AM