Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default ? about Deviled Eggs

Got a good recipe?

Thans!!!

Lass

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lass Chance_2 wrote:
> Got a good recipe?
>
> Thans!!!
>
> Lass

Mix egg yoke with mayonnaise or salad dressing, ground mustard and
little S&P, placed back into whites and sprinkle with paprika.
Source: Google
Posted to rec.food.cooking

LassChanc wrote:

> Got a good recipe?

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes...lad-56948.aspx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 13, 10:37 am, (Lass Chance_2) wrote:
> Got a good recipe?
>
> Thans!!!
>
> Lass

It ain't the filling that's tough - it's producing a bunch of eggs
pockmock free. I would NEVER commit to bring these to a gathering.
AFAIC, it takes planning ( to have oldish eggs around ) and a some
luck.

Neighbor came home on her lunch hour, cooked up a dozen eggs, peeled
em and left to cool, went back to work, came home later to find that
the hubster, a retiree, had eaten half of them. I don't know what she
brought to the buffet affair. Bag of chips, maybe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 13, 12:25�pm, wrote:
> On Nov 13, 10:37 am, (Lass Chance_2) wrote:
>
> > Got a good recipe?

> > Thans!!!

> > Lass

> It ain't the filling that's tough - it's producing a bunch of eggs
> pockmock free. �I would NEVER commit to bring these to a gathering.
> AFAIC, it takes planning ( to have oldish eggs around ) and a some
> luck.
>
> Neighbor came home on her lunch hour, cooked up a dozen eggs, peeled
> em and left to cool, went back to work, �came home later to find that
> the hubster, a retiree, had eaten half of them. �I don't know what she
> brought to the buffet affair. �Bag of chips, maybe.

A big bowl of egg salad is so much better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lass Chance_2 wrote:

> Got a good recipe?
>
> Thans!!!
>
> Lass

Mooshed up egg yolks, mixed with some mayo, a little dijon mustard, some
pepper vinegar (like the stuff they have on the table at Steak-n-Shake
to put on your fries) and a little sugar. Or, if there's no pepper
vinegar to be had, use a little sweet pickle juice instead of the pepper
vinegar and sugar, and add some ground white pepper for heat.

Pile the filling back into the egg halves, top with a sprinkle of dill.
Or paprika.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kathleen > wrote:

> Lass Chance_2 wrote:
>
> > Got a good recipe?
> >
> > Thans!!!
> >
> > Lass
> >

> Mooshed up egg yolks, mixed with some mayo, a little dijon mustard, some
> pepper vinegar (like the stuff they have on the table at Steak-n-Shake
> to put on your fries) and a little sugar. Or, if there's no pepper
> vinegar to be had, use a little sweet pickle juice instead of the pepper
> vinegar and sugar, and add some ground white pepper for heat.
>
> Pile the filling back into the egg halves, top with a sprinkle of dill.
> Or paprika.

Hey dill topping sounds good! I'll have to cut the catsup and try that
next time. Now that I can get dill weed in bulk, it's about 1/5th the
price I've been paying so I can afford to use it more.

I use quite a bit of it on steamed veggies.
--
Peace! Om

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lass Chance_2" > wrote in message
> Got a good recipe?
>
> Thans!!!
>
> Lass

egg yolks from the boiled eggs, Miracle whip, a touch of french's mustard,
salt and pepper pepper to taste. Once the egg whites have been filled with
the mixture sprinkle a bit of paprika for color.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lass Chance_2 wrote:
> Got a good recipe?

There is no single recipe, but they are fiddly things to make. You had
cook as many eggs as you are going to need, then carefully peel them,
split them in half and scoop out the yolks. Mash up the yolks and add
some mayo or salad dressing, add a little dry mustard and maybe a little
cayenne and combine everything. Then spoon or pipe the yolk mixture back
into the eggs halves and garnish with a sprinkle of paprika, and maybe a
slice of olive or gerkin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> It ain't the filling that's tough - it's producing a bunch of eggs
> pockmock free. *I would NEVER commit to bring these to a gathering.
> AFAIC, it takes planning ( to have oldish eggs around ) and a some
> luck.

All it takes is an expensive electric invention called the egg cooker
- it will make the freshest eggs eminently pealable with no pits or
pockmarks in the whites. People refuse to acknowledge my superior
answer to this perennial egg question, but I know whereof I
speak. ;-) Try it! Oster makes a great one.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 13 Nov 2008 12:49:18p, Nancy2 told us...

>> It ain't the filling that's tough - it's producing a bunch of eggs
>> pockmock free. *I would NEVER commit to bring these to a gathering.
>> AFAIC, it takes planning ( to have oldish eggs around ) and a some
>> luck.

> All it takes is an expensive electric invention called the egg cooker
> - it will make the freshest eggs eminently pealable with no pits or
> pockmarks in the whites. People refuse to acknowledge my superior
> answer to this perennial egg question, but I know whereof I
> speak. ;-) Try it! Oster makes a great one.
>
> N.

One of the best little appliances I ever bought.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Wednesday, 11(XI)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
2wks 2hrs 22mins 26secs
The reason people get lost in thought is because it is, to many,
rather unfamiliar territory.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 13, 3:22*pm, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:
> On Thu 13 Nov 2008 12:49:18p, Nancy2 told us...
>

> >> It ain't the filling that's tough - it's producing a bunch of eggs
> >> pockmock free. *I would NEVER commit to bring these to a gathering.
> >> AFAIC, it takes planning ( to have oldish eggs around ) and a some
> >> luck.

> > All it takes is an expensive electric invention called the egg cooker
> > - it will make the freshest eggs eminently pealable with no pits or
> > pockmarks in the whites. *People refuse to acknowledge my superior
> > answer to this perennial egg question, but I know whereof I
> > speak. *;-) *Try it! *Oster makes a great one.

> > N.

> One of the best little appliances I ever bought.
>
> --
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Wayne Boatwright * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I knew it! Someone else believes in them! ;-) My original post
should have said, "inexpensive," not expensive. They run about $25-30
and last a lifetime with proper care.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lass Chance_2 wrote:
> Got a good recipe?
>
> Thans!!!
>
> Lass

Try adding horse radish to the yolk mix, or any of the followings, to
taste.

curry powder,
anchovy paste,
crushed garlic,
cider, wine, malt or herb vinegar, balsamic if you have it.
finely diced shallots,
finely diced celery
small dice of gherkins,
flaked fish,
small shrimp

Forget about the egg whites (or chop into small dice and add to yolks)
and serve the seasoned egg yolk from an iced bowl as a spread with small
rounds of pumpernickel or rye or other bread or cracker.
--
Joseph Littleshoes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 13 Nov 2008 08:37:50a, Lass Chance_2 told us...

> Got a good recipe?
>
> Thans!!!
>
> Lass

The only way I’ll eat them…

* Exported from MasterCook *

Grandmother's Deviled Eggs

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers

6 ea Large or extra-large eggs
4 ea Saltine cracker squares,
Finely crushed
1 tb Onion, finely minced
2 tb Celery, finely diced
1 tb Sweet pickle, finely diced
2 tb Bacon, finely crumbled
(optional)
1/2 ts Yellow mustard
1/3 c Mayonnaise
Salt and pepper to taste
Stuffed olives, sliced
Paprika

Put eggs in one layer in medium saucepan. Cover with cold water and
slowly bring to boil. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 15
minutes.

Drain hot water from eggs and cover with cold water to cool. Peel eggs,
slice in half lengthwise and separate yolks and whites, placing yolks in
medium mixing bowl. Reserve egg whites on plate.

Mash egg yolks with fork until well broken up. Add crushed crackers,
onion, celery, pickle, and bacon (if using) to egg yolks, tossing
together until well mixed. Stir in mayonnaise and mustard until well
mixed. If egg yolk mixture is too dry, add additional mayonnaise or a
small amount of cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Pipe or spoon egg yolk mixture into egg white halves. Press olive slice
into top of egg, and sprinkle lightly with paprika. Serve immediately
or refrigerate. If refrigerating, remove from refrigerator 1/2 hour
before serving to improve flavor.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Om wrote:

> 2 parts squashed yolks to 1 part lime mayo. Per 1/4 cup of that mix, add
> 1 tbs. catsup, 1/4 tsp. mustard powder, a dash of white pepper, and a
> light sprinkling of worcestershire sauce, mix well.
>
> Fill egg white halves and top with a little paprika or alternately, salt
> free lemon pepper.

I've never heard of catsup in deviled eggs before. It doesn't sound good to
me but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and try it. As for me, I
rarely make deviled eggs the same way twice. Lin liked one batch of deviled
eggs where the mashed yolks were mixed with Miracle Whip and Penzey's Sweet
Curry Powder.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 14:04:38 -0800, Joseph Littleshoes
> wrote:

>Try adding horse radish to the yolk mix, or any of the followings, to
>taste.
>
>curry powder,
>anchovy paste,
>crushed garlic,
>cider, wine, malt or herb vinegar, balsamic if you have it.
>finely diced shallots,
>finely diced celery
>small dice of gherkins,
>flaked fish,
>small shrimp

Capers are a tasty addition, too. I like to add a splash of dill
pickle juice or the brine from pickled jalapeno peppers.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> I've never heard of catsup in deviled eggs before. It doesn't sound good to
> me but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and try it. As for me, I
> rarely make deviled eggs the same way twice. Lin liked one batch of deviled
> eggs where the mashed yolks were mixed with Miracle Whip and Penzey's Sweet
> Curry Powder.

And the funny thing is ... I DON"T LIKE MIRACLE WHIP. But, these eggs
were devilishly good! ;-)

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 17:42:12 -0800, Lin >
wrote:
>And the funny thing is ... I DON"T LIKE MIRACLE WHIP. But, these eggs
>were devilishly good! ;-)
>
>--Lin

You and Tammy make a good pair.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Christine Dabney wrote:

>> And the funny thing is ... I DON"T LIKE MIRACLE WHIP. But, these eggs
>> were devilishly good! ;-)
>>
>> --Lin

> You and Tammy make a good pair.

Get yourself back to the Bay area and we could be a triad!

--Lin (Tammy is a doll to be sure!)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

When I make deviled eggs, about half the batch I will take a slice of
Jalapeno right out of the jar, and set that on top once I fill the egg
white with the mixture. I find the eggs with Jalapeno on top seem to
go faster than those without when I take them to a party. And I dust
the tops with some paprika and Old Bay seasoning. And for my mix I
use mayo, a little spicy brown mustard, salt and pepper, and a dash of
lemon juice. Any leftovers I will take home and dice it all together
and add some more mayo and make egg salad out of it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Michael O'Connor wrote:

> When I make deviled eggs, about half the batch I will take a slice of
> Jalapeno right out of the jar, and set that on top once I fill the egg
> white with the mixture. I find the eggs with Jalapeno on top seem to
> go faster than those without when I take them to a party. And I dust
> the tops with some paprika and Old Bay seasoning. And for my mix I
> use mayo, a little spicy brown mustard, salt and pepper, and a dash of
> lemon juice. Any leftovers I will take home and dice it all together
> and add some more mayo and make egg salad out of it.

Very interesting. I know Bob would love jalepeno on his deviled eggs,
and I can handle jalepenos if they are of the pickled variety. Thanks
for the variation!

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 18:08:03 -0800, Lin >
wrote:
>Get yourself back to the Bay area and we could be a triad!
>
>--Lin (Tammy is a doll to be sure!)

I am trying!!!! Saving up money as fast as I can! But not coming back
til I have a permanent staff job there.... and prospects are slimmer
these days..with the economy and such.

But, I am working on it!!

One hospital where I have worked in the past (in Vallejo) has
openings... That would put me midway between Sac and the bay area.
However, I used to live in the east bay when I first worked there..and
that is workable.

Christine, who admits she sometimes uses Miracle Whip.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 18:12:23 -0800, Lin >
wrote:

>Michael O'Connor wrote:
>
>> When I make deviled eggs, about half the batch I will take a slice of
>> Jalapeno right out of the jar, and set that on top once I fill the egg
>> white with the mixture. I find the eggs with Jalapeno on top seem to
>> go faster than those without when I take them to a party. And I dust
>> the tops with some paprika and Old Bay seasoning. And for my mix I
>> use mayo, a little spicy brown mustard, salt and pepper, and a dash of
>> lemon juice. Any leftovers I will take home and dice it all together
>> and add some more mayo and make egg salad out of it.

>Very interesting. I know Bob would love jalepeno on his deviled eggs,
>and I can handle jalepenos if they are of the pickled variety. Thanks
>for the variation!

A little salsa would be a nice addition too. I make my salsa with
serannos and just use that.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> Lass Chance_2 wrote:
>> Got a good recipe?
>>
>> Thans!!!
>>
>> Lass
>>

> Mix egg yoke with mayonnaise or salad dressing, ground mustard and
> little S&P, placed back into whites and sprinkle with paprika.
> Source: Google

Boil the eggs, cool, peel, cut in half lengthwise.

I stuff the whites with a mixture of: the cooked yolks, mayonnaise,
yellow hotdog mustard, and sweet relish. Adjust seasoning with S&P. It
might need a pinch of sugar, but usually not (depends on the relish.)
If it's too thick and/or bland, I'll thin with a little Miracle Whip,
but mayo works better for the most part. Sprinkle cayenne on top.

To make them fancier, you could add mashed capers and some tarragon.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Nancy2 > wrote:

> > It ain't the filling that's tough - it's producing a bunch of eggs
> > pockmock free. *I would NEVER commit to bring these to a gathering.
> > AFAIC, it takes planning ( to have oldish eggs around ) and a some
> > luck.

> All it takes is an expensive electric invention called the egg cooker
> - it will make the freshest eggs eminently pealable with no pits or
> pockmarks in the whites. People refuse to acknowledge my superior
> answer to this perennial egg question, but I know whereof I
> speak. ;-) Try it! Oster makes a great one.
>
> N.

How much space do they take up?
Are they good for soft poached eggs, and how many eggs do they cook at
one time?
--
Peace! Om

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Om wrote:
>
> > 2 parts squashed yolks to 1 part lime mayo. Per 1/4 cup of that mix, add
> > 1 tbs. catsup, 1/4 tsp. mustard powder, a dash of white pepper, and a
> > light sprinkling of worcestershire sauce, mix well.
> >
> > Fill egg white halves and top with a little paprika or alternately, salt
> > free lemon pepper.

> I've never heard of catsup in deviled eggs before. It doesn't sound good to
> me but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and try it. As for me, I
> rarely make deviled eggs the same way twice. Lin liked one batch of deviled
> eggs where the mashed yolks were mixed with Miracle Whip and Penzey's Sweet
> Curry Powder.
>
> Bob

It was mom's recipe. I've seen lots of people here vouch for mixing
catsup with mayo. :-)
--
Peace! Om

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 13 Nov 2008 07:52:41p, Omelet told us...

> In article
> >,
> Nancy2 > wrote:
>
>> > It ain't the filling that's tough - it's producing a bunch of eggs
>> > pockmock free. *I would NEVER commit to bring these to a gathering.
>> > AFAIC, it takes planning ( to have oldish eggs around ) and a some
>> > luck.

>> All it takes is an expensive electric invention called the egg cooker
>> - it will make the freshest eggs eminently pealable with no pits or
>> pockmarks in the whites. People refuse to acknowledge my superior
>> answer to this perennial egg question, but I know whereof I
>> speak. ;-) Try it! Oster makes a great one.
>>
>> N.

> How much space do they take up?

Mine is about 6-7 inches in diameter.

> Are they good for soft poached eggs, and how many eggs do they cook at
> one time?

Yes, you can cook any degree of doneness of poached eggs, as well as boiled
eggs.

Almost all egg cookers will hold 6-7 eggs for “boiling”. Where they vary
most is in how many they will hold for poaching. This could be as few as
two or as many as five. I’ve never seen any with a larger capacity.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 11(XI)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
1wks 6dys 3hrs 18mins
C:\DOS C:\DOS\RUN RUN\DOS\RUN

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 14, 9:32*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Om wrote:
> > 2 parts squashed yolks to 1 part lime mayo. Per 1/4 cup of that mix, add
> > 1 tbs. catsup, 1/4 tsp. mustard powder, a dash of white pepper, and a
> > light sprinkling of worcestershire sauce, mix well.

> > Fill egg white halves and top with a little paprika or alternately, salt
> > free lemon pepper.

> I've never heard of catsup in deviled eggs before. It doesn't sound good to
> me but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and try it. As for me, I
> rarely make deviled eggs the same way twice. Lin liked one batch of deviled
> eggs where the mashed yolks were mixed with Miracle Whip and Penzey's Sweet
> Curry Powder.
>
> Bob

I love them made with curry powder. I use butter to mash and blend
rather than mayo.

They are also nice done with butter, a little garlic, parsley and S&P.

JB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 13, 8:09*pm, "Michael O'Connor" > wrote:
.. *Any leftovers I will take home and dice it all together
> and add some more mayo and make egg salad out of it.

I have never heard of or seen a leftover deviled egg. . . ANYBODY'S
deviled egg!
Lynn in Fargo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 13 Nov 2008 09:26:53p, Lynn from Fargo told us...

> On Nov 13, 8:09*pm, "Michael O'Connor" > wrote:
> . *Any leftovers I will take home and dice it all together
>> and add some more mayo and make egg salad out of it.

> I have never heard of or seen a leftover deviled egg. . . ANYBODY'S
> deviled egg!
> Lynn in Fargo

I never have either, Lynn. I have two identical cut glass antique deviled
egg plates. For most gatherings I fill them both. For some odd reason
they each hold *15* egg halves. Were they expecting you to screw one up?
:-)

Oh, BTW, Lynn... Thanks again for the e-mail!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 11(XI)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
1wks 6dys 2hrs 30mins
Happiness is finding special characters .

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lin" > wrote in message
est...
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>
>> I've never heard of catsup in deviled eggs before. It doesn't sound good
>> me but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and try it. As for me, I
>> rarely make deviled eggs the same way twice. Lin liked one batch of
>> deviled
>> eggs where the mashed yolks were mixed with Miracle Whip and Penzey's
>> Sweet
>> Curry Powder.

> And the funny thing is ... I DON"T LIKE MIRACLE WHIP. But, these eggs were
> devilishly good! ;-)

Not even. Any mf who uses the word "catsup" cannot cook.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 13 Nov 2008 09:26:53p, Lynn from Fargo told us...
>

>>On Nov 13, 8:09 pm, "Michael O'Connor" > wrote:
>>. Any leftovers I will take home and dice it all together
>>
>>>and add some more mayo and make egg salad out of it.

>>============================================
>>I have never heard of or seen a leftover deviled egg. . . ANYBODY'S
>>deviled egg!
>>Lynn in Fargo

> I never have either, Lynn.

Ooh, I have.

When we travel to tournaments everybody brings something for the lunch
table. Of course, none of this is coordinated in advance so some
weekends we end up with a bunch of desserts, other times we're heavy on
the proteins or fruit, or chip-y snacky things.

And for one of our trips one gal brought the blandest deviled eggs I've
ever tasted. I mean, they didn't even taste like egg. I can't imagine
what she might have used to leave them so completely flavorless.

Deviled eggs are a lot of work, and when she first put them out,
everybody grabbed one. Took a bite. Looked around to see where MJ was
then fed them to their dogs, who liked them just fine. Although it
wasn't a hot day we ended up having to turn the cooling fans on high to
clear the eggy dog farts out of the crating area... It was making our
eyes water.

I felt bad because I know they were a lot of work, but not bad enough to
actually eat them

I have two identical cut glass antique deviled
> egg plates. For most gatherings I fill them both. For some odd reason
> they each hold *15* egg halves. Were they expecting you to screw one up?
> :-)

No, they were expecting you to EAT one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 13 Nov 2008 10:36:15p, Kathleen told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> On Thu 13 Nov 2008 09:26:53p, Lynn from Fargo told us...
>>

>>>On Nov 13, 8:09 pm, "Michael O'Connor" > wrote:
>>>. Any leftovers I will take home and dice it all together

>>>============================================
>>>I have never heard of or seen a leftover deviled egg. . . ANYBODY'S
>>>deviled egg!
>>>Lynn in Fargo

>> I never have either, Lynn.

> Ooh, I have.
>
> When we travel to tournaments everybody brings something for the lunch
> table. Of course, none of this is coordinated in advance so some
> weekends we end up with a bunch of desserts, other times we're heavy on
> the proteins or fruit, or chip-y snacky things.
>
> And for one of our trips one gal brought the blandest deviled eggs I've
> ever tasted. I mean, they didn't even taste like egg. I can't imagine
> what she might have used to leave them so completely flavorless.
>
> Deviled eggs are a lot of work, and when she first put them out,
> everybody grabbed one. Took a bite. Looked around to see where MJ was
> then fed them to their dogs, who liked them just fine. Although it
> wasn't a hot day we ended up having to turn the cooling fans on high to
> clear the eggy dog farts out of the crating area... It was making our
> eyes water.
>
> I felt bad because I know they were a lot of work, but not bad enough to
> actually eat them

Sad but funny!

> I have two identical cut glass antique deviled
>> egg plates. For most gatherings I fill them both. For some odd reason
>> they each hold *15* egg halves. Were they expecting you to screw one
>> up?
>> :-)

> No, they were expecting you to EAT one.

LOL! That’s what I usually do!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 11(XI)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
1wks 6dys 1hrs 22mins
All computers run at the same speed... with the power off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> Not even. Any mf who uses the word "catsup" cannot cook.

Sheldon?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 20:35:23 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:

> Boil the eggs, cool, peel, cut in half lengthwise.
>
> I stuff the whites with a mixture of: the cooked yolks, mayonnaise,
> yellow hotdog mustard, and sweet relish. Adjust seasoning with S&P. It
> might need a pinch of sugar, but usually not (depends on the relish.)
> If it's too thick and/or bland, I'll thin with a little Miracle Whip,
> but mayo works better for the most part. Sprinkle cayenne on top.
>
> To make them fancier, you could add mashed capers and some tarragon.
>
> Bob

i was waiting for someone to mention sweet pickle relish.

there's also a product that looks like relish but is made with hot peppers.
that can be interesting.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 13, 8:52*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *Nancy2 > wrote:
> > > It ain't the filling that's tough - it's producing a bunch of eggs
> > > pockmock free. *I would NEVER commit to bring these to a gathering.
> > > AFAIC, it takes planning ( to have oldish eggs around ) and a some
> > > luck.

> > All it takes is an expensive electric invention called the egg cooker
> > - it will make the freshest eggs eminently pealable with no pits or
> > pockmarks in the whites. *People refuse to acknowledge my superior
> > answer to this perennial egg question, but I know whereof I
> > speak. *;-) *Try it! *Oster makes a great one.

> > N.

> How much space do they take up?
> Are they good for soft poached eggs, and how many eggs do they cook at
> one time?
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> "Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." -- Dalai Lama

I tuck mine in a corner of a pull-out shelf in a lower cupboard -
they're small. Mine does 8 hard-boiled, or 4 soft-poached (poached
with steam) at a time. It came with a little 4-section Teflon-lined
poacher insert.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 13, 8:54*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
> *"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>

> > Om wrote:

> > > 2 parts squashed yolks to 1 part lime mayo. Per 1/4 cup of that mix, add
> > > 1 tbs. catsup, 1/4 tsp. mustard powder, a dash of white pepper, and a
> > > light sprinkling of worcestershire sauce, mix well.

> > > Fill egg white halves and top with a little paprika or alternately, salt
> > > free lemon pepper.

> > I've never heard of catsup in deviled eggs before. It doesn't sound good to
> > me but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and try it. As for me, I
> > rarely make deviled eggs the same way twice. Lin liked one batch of deviled
> > eggs where the mashed yolks were mixed with Miracle Whip and Penzey's Sweet
> > Curry Powder.

> > Bob

> It was mom's recipe. *I've seen lots of people here vouch for mixing
> catsup with mayo. :-)
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> "Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." -- Dalai Lama- Hide quoted text -

The only time I mix mayo and catsup (ketchup) is when I'm making
Thousand Island dressing, or the mixture that goes on a Reuben
sandwich.

I'm not a huge catsup fan, so I wouldn't put it in deviled eggs. I
mix a few sprinkles of vinegar, yellow mustard, salt, pepper, and soft
butter in mine ... that's the way my mom made them. My sons like them
softer, made with mayo instead of butter. Then I sprinkle them with
paprika and use a pastry tube to fill the whites.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote on Fri, 14 Nov 2008 08:26:46 -0800 (PST):

> On Nov 13, 8:54 pm, Omelet > wrote:
>> In article >,

> >> I've never heard of catsup in deviled eggs before. It
> >> doesn't sound good to me but I'll give you the benefit of
> >> the doubt and try it. As for me, I rarely make deviled eggs
> >> the same way twice. Lin liked one batch of deviled eggs
> >> where the mashed yolks were mixed with Miracle Whip and
> >> Penzey's Sweet Curry Powder.

> >> Bob

>> It was mom's recipe. I've seen lots of people here vouch for
>> mixing catsup with mayo. :-) -- Peace! Om
>>
>> "Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you
>> can't help them, at least don't hurt them." -- Dalai Lama-

> The only time I mix mayo and catsup (ketchup) is when I'm
> making Thousand Island dressing, or the mixture that goes on a
> Reuben sandwich.

> I'm not a huge catsup fan, so I wouldn't put it in deviled
> eggs. I mix a few sprinkles of vinegar, yellow mustard, salt,
> pepper, and soft butter in mine ... that's the way my mom made
> them. My sons like them softer, made with mayo instead of
> butter. Then I sprinkle them with paprika and use a pastry
> tube to fill the whites.

It's interesting that most of the recipes people have given seem on the
mild side and don't fit the Oxford Dictionary's definition of "devil":
to grill with *hot* condiments. (Don't try finding "deviled", they only
use the British spelling "devilled".) I have to admit that, even for
egg filling, I like a lot of pepper or some hot sauce.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

deviled eggs? Ozgirl Diabetic 4 14-10-2013 02:22 AM
deviled eggs Kelly Greene General Cooking 15 23-04-2009 12:30 AM
Deviled Eggs (REC & GIF) Little Malice[_4_] General Cooking 66 24-01-2008 07:54 PM
Deviled Eggs Glasshousejohn Recipes (moderated) 0 27-04-2006 07:16 AM
Deviled Eggs Recipes (moderated) 0 22-04-2004 03:22 AM