Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I Made 'Glorified' Potato Soup Yesterday (Great Results!)

I know...I know probably where you all live it's in the triple digits
right now, but we live in Alaska, and we went from weekend temperatures
to nearly 90º down to only 56º yesterday, so it was ideal soup
weather here. I came up with a easy-as-all-get-out soup that DD and DH
flipped over (I liked it too) so thought I'd share and when it cools
down in your little corner of the world, you might wish to give it a
try. You could change this around to suit your own taste buds, but hubby
has told me at least three times how GOOD this was, and even had some
for breakfast today (he's like Jill and can eat soup, even when it's hot
out!). Next time I might thicken it a little?

Potato-Bacon-Clam-Sausage Chowder

1 (14 oz.) Hillshire Farm's Beef Smoked Sausage - can use any one you
want)

3 large potatoes, diced in bite-sized pieces

8 to 10 slices bacon, cooked crisp, drained and crumbled

2 can minced clams with broth
1 small onion, diced
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
4 cups water, or enough to barely cover
1-1/2 cups evaporated milk
salt & pepper, to taste

I sliced the sausage and covered with water and boiled a few minutes (to
remove some of the fat) and drained. Set aside.

Fry bacon until crisp and drain on paper towel; crumble.

Cook onion and mushrooms in bacon dripping until soft; drain.

Meanwhile dice potatoes and put in large pot, along with undrained
clams, sausage, bacon, water plus the mushrooms and onions. Season with
salt & pepper.

Bring to boil and boil 15 to 20 minutes, until potatoes are soft. Add
evaporated milk; heat a few minutes and serve.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 10:13:56 -0800, (Judy Haffner)
wrote:

>I know...I know probably where you all live it's in the triple digits
>right now, but we live in Alaska, and we went from weekend temperatures
>to nearly 90º down to only 56º yesterday, so it was ideal soup
>weather here. I came up with a easy-as-all-get-out soup that DD and DH
>flipped over (I liked it too) so thought I'd share and when it cools
>down in your little corner of the world, you might wish to give it a
>try. You could change this around to suit your own taste buds, but hubby
>has told me at least three times how GOOD this was, and even had some
>for breakfast today (he's like Jill and can eat soup, even when it's hot
>out!). Next time I might thicken it a little?
>
>Potato-Bacon-Clam-Sausage Chowder
>
>1 (14 oz.) Hillshire Farm's Beef Smoked Sausage - can use any one you
>want)
>
>3 large potatoes, diced in bite-sized pieces
>
>8 to 10 slices bacon, cooked crisp, drained and crumbled
>
>2 can minced clams with broth
>1 small onion, diced
>1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
>4 cups water, or enough to barely cover
>1-1/2 cups evaporated milk
>salt & pepper, to taste
>
>I sliced the sausage and covered with water and boiled a few minutes (to
>remove some of the fat) and drained. Set aside.
>
>Fry bacon until crisp and drain on paper towel; crumble.
>
>Cook onion and mushrooms in bacon dripping until soft; drain.
>
>Meanwhile dice potatoes and put in large pot, along with undrained
>clams, sausage, bacon, water plus the mushrooms and onions. Season with
>salt & pepper.
>
>Bring to boil and boil 15 to 20 minutes, until potatoes are soft. Add
>evaporated milk; heat a few minutes and serve.
>
>Judy

Now that sounds downright good.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 10:13:56 -0800, (Judy Haffner)
> wrote:
>

>>I know...I know probably where you all live it's in the triple digits
>>right now, but we live in Alaska, and we went from weekend temperatures
>>to nearly 90º down to only 56º yesterday, so it was ideal soup
>>weather here. I came up with a easy-as-all-get-out soup that DD and DH
>>flipped over (I liked it too) so thought I'd share and when it cools
>>down in your little corner of the world, you might wish to give it a
>>try. You could change this around to suit your own taste buds, but hubby
>>has told me at least three times how GOOD this was, and even had some
>>for breakfast today (he's like Jill and can eat soup, even when it's hot
>>out!). Next time I might thicken it a little?
>>
>>Potato-Bacon-Clam-Sausage Chowder
>>
>>1 (14 oz.) Hillshire Farm's Beef Smoked Sausage - can use any one you
>>want)
>>
>>3 large potatoes, diced in bite-sized pieces
>>
>>8 to 10 slices bacon, cooked crisp, drained and crumbled
>>
>>2 can minced clams with broth
>>1 small onion, diced
>>1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
>>4 cups water, or enough to barely cover
>>1-1/2 cups evaporated milk
>>salt & pepper, to taste
>>
>>I sliced the sausage and covered with water and boiled a few minutes (to
>>remove some of the fat) and drained. Set aside.
>>
>>Fry bacon until crisp and drain on paper towel; crumble.
>>
>>Cook onion and mushrooms in bacon dripping until soft; drain.
>>
>>Meanwhile dice potatoes and put in large pot, along with undrained
>>clams, sausage, bacon, water plus the mushrooms and onions. Season with
>>salt & pepper.
>>
>>Bring to boil and boil 15 to 20 minutes, until potatoes are soft. Add
>>evaporated milk; heat a few minutes and serve.
>>
>>Judy

> Now that sounds downright good.

yep, clam chowder always sounds good.