Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A bittersweet discovery

I was at the University of Washington bookstore the other day. The
store always seems to tempt me with sale cookbooks. I picked up a copy
of Molly O'Neill's One Big Table for 60% off the list price. This is a
compendium of recipes from folks around the US--an expanded version of
her New York Cookbook. A familiar name jumped out at me as I was
looking through it--Leila Abu-Saba, who was a regular poster here before
her death in 2009. Her recipe was Egyptian Red Lentil Soup. (Not
tabbouli????) For the newbies: Leila was known as the Tabbouli
Princess. Her father (originally from Lebanon) was the Tabbouli King,
whereas her mother (born and raised in Virginia) was the Spoonbread
Queen. Leila was a gifted and generous soul. I miss her posts on RFC,
and our occasional side conversations about food, family, and our mutual
former hometown of Greensboro.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:
> I was at the University of Washington bookstore the other day. The
> store always seems to tempt me with sale cookbooks. I picked up a copy
> of Molly O'Neill's One Big Table for 60% off the list price. This is a
> compendium of recipes from folks around the US--an expanded version of
> her New York Cookbook. A familiar name jumped out at me as I was
> looking through it--Leila Abu-Saba, who was a regular poster here before
> her death in 2009. Her recipe was Egyptian Red Lentil Soup. (Not
> tabbouli????) For the newbies: Leila was known as the Tabbouli
> Princess. Her father (originally from Lebanon) was the Tabbouli King,
> whereas her mother (born and raised in Virginia) was the Spoonbread
> Queen. Leila was a gifted and generous soul. I miss her posts on RFC,
> and our occasional side conversations about food, family, and our mutual
> former hometown of Greensboro.
>
> Cindy

Yes, I noticed that too. Bittersweet, yes, but I am happy that
she lives on in this way.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 17:22:31 -0700, Cindy Fuller
> wrote:

>I was at the University of Washington bookstore the other day. The
>store always seems to tempt me with sale cookbooks. I picked up a copy
>of Molly O'Neill's One Big Table for 60% off the list price. This is a
>compendium of recipes from folks around the US--an expanded version of
>her New York Cookbook. A familiar name jumped out at me as I was
>looking through it--Leila Abu-Saba, who was a regular poster here before
>her death in 2009. Her recipe was Egyptian Red Lentil Soup. (Not
>tabbouli????) For the newbies: Leila was known as the Tabbouli
>Princess. Her father (originally from Lebanon) was the Tabbouli King,
>whereas her mother (born and raised in Virginia) was the Spoonbread
>Queen. Leila was a gifted and generous soul. I miss her posts on RFC,
>and our occasional side conversations about food, family, and our mutual
>former hometown of Greensboro.
>
>Cindy

Thanks for the information about the book. I just bought a new one
from Amazon for $5.68 including shipping. I am looking forward to
seeing Leila's recipe and the others in the book.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 17:22:31 -0700, Cindy Fuller
> > wrote:
>
> >I was at the University of Washington bookstore the other day. The
> >store always seems to tempt me with sale cookbooks. I picked up a copy
> >of Molly O'Neill's One Big Table for 60% off the list price. This is a
> >compendium of recipes from folks around the US--an expanded version of
> >her New York Cookbook. A familiar name jumped out at me as I was
> >looking through it--Leila Abu-Saba, who was a regular poster here before
> >her death in 2009. Her recipe was Egyptian Red Lentil Soup. (Not
> >tabbouli????) For the newbies: Leila was known as the Tabbouli
> >Princess. Her father (originally from Lebanon) was the Tabbouli King,
> >whereas her mother (born and raised in Virginia) was the Spoonbread
> >Queen. Leila was a gifted and generous soul. I miss her posts on RFC,
> >and our occasional side conversations about food, family, and our mutual
> >former hometown of Greensboro.
> >
> >Cindy

> Thanks for the information about the book. I just bought a new one
> from Amazon for $5.68 including shipping. I am looking forward to
> seeing Leila's recipe and the others in the book.

It's definitely a keeper. It even has the One True Cobbler(R) recipe in
it (from Dori Sanders in SC).

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 17, 2:32*pm, Cindy Fuller >
wrote:
> In article >,
> *The Cook > wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 17:22:31 -0700, Cindy Fuller
> > > wrote:

> > >I was at the University of Washington bookstore the other day. *The
> > >store always seems to tempt me with sale cookbooks. *I picked up a copy
> > >of Molly O'Neill's One Big Table for 60% off the list price. *This is a
> > >compendium of recipes from folks around the US--an expanded version of
> > >her New York Cookbook. *A familiar name jumped out at me as I was
> > >looking through it--Leila Abu-Saba, who was a regular poster here before
> > >her death in 2009. *Her recipe was Egyptian Red Lentil Soup. *(Not
> > >tabbouli????) *For the newbies: Leila was known as the Tabbouli
> > >Princess. *Her father (originally from Lebanon) was the Tabbouli King,
> > >whereas her mother (born and raised in Virginia) was the Spoonbread
> > >Queen. *Leila was a gifted and generous soul. *I miss her posts on RFC,
> > >and our occasional side conversations about food, family, and our mutual
> > >former hometown of Greensboro.

> > >Cindy

> > Thanks for the information about the book. *I just bought a new one
> > from Amazon for $5.68 including shipping. *I am looking forward to
> > seeing Leila's recipe and the others in the book.

> It's definitely a keeper. *It even has the One True Cobbler(R) recipe in
> it (from Dori Sanders in SC).

Were the recipes skimmed from r.f.c.?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Jun 17, 2:32 pm, Cindy Fuller >
> wrote:
>> In article >,
>> The Cook > wrote:
>>

>>> On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 17:22:31 -0700, Cindy Fuller
>>> Thanks for the information about the book. I just bought a new one
>>> from Amazon for $5.68 including shipping. I am looking forward to
>>> seeing Leila's recipe and the others in the book.

>> It's definitely a keeper. It even has the One True Cobbler(R) recipe in
>> it (from Dori Sanders in SC).
>>

> Were the recipes skimmed from r.f.c.?

I didn't have that impression.

--