zxcvbob

Default Using bittersweet chocolate

I've asked this here before in a little different context, but I've never
received an answer.

I have a couple of kilos of dark bittersweet chocolate, and I've been just
nibbling on it for a year or two and have only managed to dent it. I have
recipes that use Baker's cooking chocolate, and I wonder what the
conversion is to use bittersweet chocolate in place of unsweetened bitter
choocolate? I'd like to use some of this good chocolate to make fudge.
Thanks.

Best regards,
Bob

Old Fashioned Fudge
(Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)

2 cups sugar
3/4 cup milk
2 squares (2 oz.) unsweetened chocolate, cut up
1 teaspoon light corn syrup
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts

Butter sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In it, combine suggar, milk,
chocolate, corn syrup, and dash salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until
sugar disolves and mixture comes to a boil. Continue cooking to 234ºF
(soft-ball stage), stirring only as needed to prevent sticking (mixture
should boil gently over entire surface) Immediately remove from heat; add
butter but do not stir. Cool, without stirring to lukewarm (110ºF), for 30
to 40 minutes. Add vanilla and nuts. Beat vigorously for 7 to 10 minutes
or until fudge becomes very thick and loses its gloss.

Immediately spread into a buttered 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Score into squares
while warm; cut when firm. Makes about 1 1/4 pounds.

Chris

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> I've asked this here before in a little different context, but I've never
> received an answer.

Well, our normal baking chocolate is unsweetened, so it should be a 1:1
ratio.

Or sweeten it as you like.

zxcvbob

Chris wrote:

> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
>>I've asked this here before in a little different context, but I've never
>>received an answer.

> Well, our normal baking chocolate is unsweetened, so it should be a 1:1
> ratio.
>
> Or sweeten it as you like.

The Callebaut bittersweet chocolate is sweetened (a little), and I don't
know how much extra chocolate I need to use to compensate when replacing
unsweetened chocolate. The difference in sugar in the recipe should be
insignificant.

Bob

pavane

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> I've asked this here before in a little different context, but I've never
> received an answer.
>
> I have a couple of kilos of dark bittersweet chocolate, and I've been just
> nibbling on it for a year or two and have only managed to dent it. I have
> recipes that use Baker's cooking chocolate, and I wonder what the
> conversion is to use bittersweet chocolate in place of unsweetened bitter
> choocolate? I'd like to use some of this good chocolate to make fudge.
> Thanks.

There will be no texture or performance difference but the
bittersweet will of course be slightly sweeter so you want to
monitor the taste as you go, possibly reducing the sugar to
about 3/4 quantity and add from there as you go. The bittersweet
chocolate (really, almost any decent chocolate) will taste so
much better than the Baker's that you will be very happy with
the results.

pavane

zxcvbob

pavane wrote:

> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
>>I've asked this here before in a little different context, but I've never
>>received an answer.
>>
>>I have a couple of kilos of dark bittersweet chocolate, and I've been just
>>nibbling on it for a year or two and have only managed to dent it. I have
>>recipes that use Baker's cooking chocolate, and I wonder what the
>>conversion is to use bittersweet chocolate in place of unsweetened bitter
>>choocolate? I'd like to use some of this good chocolate to make fudge.
>>Thanks.
>>

> There will be no texture or performance difference but the
> bittersweet will of course be slightly sweeter so you want to
> monitor the taste as you go, possibly reducing the sugar to
> about 3/4 quantity and add from there as you go. The bittersweet
> chocolate (really, almost any decent chocolate) will taste so
> much better than the Baker's that you will be very happy with
> the results.
>
> pavane

Should I start with about 3 ounces of bittersweet chocolate to replace the
2 ounces of Baker's in the recipe?

Thanks, regards,
Bob

Nexis

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> I've asked this here before in a little different context, but I've never
> received an answer.
>
> I have a couple of kilos of dark bittersweet chocolate, and I've been just
> nibbling on it for a year or two and have only managed to dent it. I have
> recipes that use Baker's cooking chocolate, and I wonder what the
> conversion is to use bittersweet chocolate in place of unsweetened bitter
> choocolate? I'd like to use some of this good chocolate to make fudge.
> Thanks.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Don't take this the wrong way, but, wouldn't it be simpler to just use a
recipe calling for bittersweet chocolate to begin with? This is the best
fudge I've ever made and it uses enough bittersweet chocolate to make a good
size dent in your stash :-)

Classic Fudge with Espresso and Hazelnuts

Note: You can make this plain by omitting the nuts and espresso, or leave
just one of them in for something altogether different. One time I made it
with the espresso and added coarsely chopped espresso beans for a lovely
crunch and a nice balance. You can also sub toasted, chopped almonds for the
hazelnuts.

Equipment: 9x13 inch baking pan, lined with foil, that extends over one edge
(for easy removal of cooled fudge); buttered baking sheet; 4 qt heavy bottom
saucepan; candy thermometer, and instant read thermometer; glass of warm
water.
1 1/2 Tbsp espresso powder
1 1/2 cups (12 oz) half & half
4 cups (28 oz) pure cane sugar *
1/2 cup (5.5 oz) light corn syrup
1/4 tsp salt
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
4 Tbsp (2 oz) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" pieces
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup hazelnuts, toasted, peeled, and coarsely chopped

* as I've posted before, cane sugar is the most reliable for candy making.
If it doesn't say cane sugar it is likely to be beet sugar, which tastes off
when cooked and can cause crystallization problems in candy making.

In a saucepan, combine the espresso powder and half & half. Add sugar, corn
syrup, and salt and place pan over med heat. Cook, stirring, constantly for
5 minutes or until the sugar is *completely* dissolved. Remove the pan from
the heat and blend in the chocolate, stirring until completely melted and
smooth. Brush down the sides of the pan with a pastry brush dipped in water,
to prevent sugar crystals.

Return to heat, and place a candy thermometer in the pan. Over med heat,
bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until it reaches 238*f. Remove the
pan from the heat, then remove the thermometer from the pan, immediately
placing it upright in a glass of warm water.

Immediately pour the fudge into a buttered sheet pan. Do not scrape the pan,
as tempted as you will be to do it. Dot with the butter. Let cool until it
registers 110*f. on instant read thermometer.(About 20-30 min).

Transfer the cooled fudge to the bowl of your mixer, and attach the paddle
attachment. Add vanilla and beat the mixture on med-low until it thickens
and loses it's shine, around 5 min, more or less. Immediately add nuts if
using. You may need to knead them in by hand.

Turn into prepared pan. Use your fingertips to press into the corners. Place
the pan of fudge on a cooling rack and let set at room temp 1-2 hours, until
completely cool. Invert onto serving plate and cut into squares.

Enjoy!
kimberly

pavane

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> pavane wrote:
>
> > "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> >
> >>I've asked this here before in a little different context, but I've

never
> >>received an answer.
> >>
> >>I have a couple of kilos of dark bittersweet chocolate, and I've been

just
> >>nibbling on it for a year or two and have only managed to dent it. I

have
> >>recipes that use Baker's cooking chocolate, and I wonder what the
> >>conversion is to use bittersweet chocolate in place of unsweetened

bitter
> >>choocolate? I'd like to use some of this good chocolate to make fudge.
> >>Thanks.
> >>

> > There will be no texture or performance difference but the
> > bittersweet will of course be slightly sweeter so you want to
> > monitor the taste as you go, possibly reducing the sugar to
> > about 3/4 quantity and add from there as you go. The bittersweet
> > chocolate (really, almost any decent chocolate) will taste so
> > much better than the Baker's that you will be very happy with
> > the results.
> >
> > pavane
> >

> Should I start with about 3 ounces of bittersweet chocolate to replace the
> 2 ounces of Baker's in the recipe?

No, the chocolate mass will be the same in both versions. The only diff
is the amount of sugar; the increased intensity of the better quality
b'sweet
will compensate for any loss of flavor because of the minor amount of
sugar in it. Fear not, it will be good.

pavane