Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default toaster oven vs 2 slice upright toaster

So, I actually have another toaster. I had got it for the wife before
we got married. One of those little toaster ovens for about $80 at
Lowe's. My question/comment is that I rarely use the toaster oven
(for an occasional frozen pizza basically. It seems more efficient
than heating the gas oven). It seems to me the small toaster oven is
not nearly as efficient as the 2 slice toaster. Not that any toaster
is very efficient to begin with, but the 2 slice one seems slightly
more efficient. Thoughts, comments, bric-a-bracs?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"somebody" > wrote in message
> So, I actually have another toaster. I had got it for the wife before
> we got married. One of those little toaster ovens for about $80 at
> Lowe's. My question/comment is that I rarely use the toaster oven
> (for an occasional frozen pizza basically. It seems more efficient
> than heating the gas oven). It seems to me the small toaster oven is
> not nearly as efficient as the 2 slice toaster. Not that any toaster
> is very efficient to begin with, but the 2 slice one seems slightly
> more efficient. Thoughts, comments, bric-a-bracs?

For years I only used a toaster oven because my dad always said toasters
didn't work. No. *His* toasters didn't work. Long story short they got a
ton of toasters for wedding gifts. All the same brand/model. All bad.
They would use one for a while then get ticked off then open another one.

Finally my mom had to choose a gift from a pharmacy. They had a punch card
and when full you could redeem it for a gift. They were doing away with the
cards so she had to choose from what they had left. There was nothing she
really wanted. She chose a toaster. It actually worked!

I do know people who make toast in a toaster oven. A toaster is quicker for
that because it will toast both sides at once.

If you want a toasted open face sandwich, use the toaster oven. If you are
cooking a small amount of meat or fish, use the toaster oven.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 02:06:22 -0700 (PDT), somebody
> wrote:

>So, I actually have another toaster. I had got it for the wife before
>we got married. One of those little toaster ovens for about $80 at
>Lowe's. My question/comment is that I rarely use the toaster oven
>(for an occasional frozen pizza basically. It seems more efficient
>than heating the gas oven). It seems to me the small toaster oven is
>not nearly as efficient as the 2 slice toaster. Not that any toaster
>is very efficient to begin with, but the 2 slice one seems slightly
>more efficient. Thoughts, comments, bric-a-bracs?

If I had the counter space, I'd have both. A good toaster does that
single job very well. In the best of toaster ovens, it is not quite
as good for toast, but the oven is the best tool for those small
heating jobs you mention, like reheating a slice of pizza.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 1, 4:06*am, somebody > wrote:
> So, I actually have another toaster. *I had got it for the wife before
> we got married. *One of those little toaster ovens for about $80 at
> Lowe's. *My question/comment is that I rarely use the toaster oven
> (for an occasional frozen pizza basically. *It seems more efficient
> than heating the gas oven). *It seems to me the small toaster oven is
> not nearly as efficient as the 2 slice toaster. *Not that any toaster
> is very efficient to begin with, but the 2 slice one seems slightly
> more efficient. *Thoughts, comments, bric-a-bracs?

Wow, that's a real brain teaser. Not.

Toaster oven can toast things like thicker bread, English muffins,
warm up any kind of bread product wrapped in foil (hot dog or
hamburger buns, bagels, etc.), plus it can actually bake entrees,
especially frozen ones. I use mine for baking French fries, mini
tacos, chicken strips, etc. You can't do that with a 2-slice toaster,
and a toaster oven is much more efficient than a regular full-size
oven if you don't need that much space.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

somebody wrote:

> So, I actually have another toaster. I had got it for the wife before
> we got married. One of those little toaster ovens for about $80 at
> Lowe's. My question/comment is that I rarely use the toaster oven
> (for an occasional frozen pizza basically. It seems more efficient
> than heating the gas oven). It seems to me the small toaster oven is
> not nearly as efficient as the 2 slice toaster. Not that any toaster
> is very efficient to begin with, but the 2 slice one seems slightly
> more efficient. Thoughts, comments, bric-a-bracs?

New toasters are as low as $15 at Bed Bath and Beyond. We bought a $25
toaster last week because it was easier than fixing the old one and we
decided to get the second model not the bottom one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 1, 5:06*am, somebody > wrote:
> So, I actually have another toaster. *I had got it for the wife before
> we got married. *One of those little toaster ovens for about $80 at
> Lowe's. *My question/comment is that I rarely use the toaster oven
> (for an occasional frozen pizza basically. *It seems more efficient
> than heating the gas oven). *It seems to me the small toaster oven is
> not nearly as efficient as the 2 slice toaster. *Not that any toaster
> is very efficient to begin with, but the 2 slice one seems slightly
> more efficient. *Thoughts, comments, bric-a-bracs?

Gimme my toaster oven. I use it not just for toast, but for baked
potatoes when I don't want to use the huge oven. I have even made a
couple of muffins in it when the gravy urge strikes. Mine also has a
broil element which I use when I do a broiled tomato and a top brown
for melting a bit of cheese on a roll.

I can't rec a brand one tho - I'm still using my GE from the sixties
and I doubt one is on the market now as well made.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

somebody wrote:

> It seems to me the small toaster oven is
> not nearly as efficient as the 2 slice toaster. Not that any toaster
> is very efficient to begin with, but the 2 slice one seems slightly
> more efficient.

Why is efficiency important here? Are we talking about electricity
consumption (and, if so, why)?

It only makes sense that a uni-tasker like a 2-slice toaster does that
single job better than a multi-tasker like a toaster oven. I'm with
Alton Brown and don't like uni-taskers in my small kitchen so we have
only the toaster oven and not the toaster.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 02:06:22 -0700 (PDT), somebody
> wrote:

> So, I actually have another toaster. I had got it for the wife before
> we got married. One of those little toaster ovens for about $80 at
> Lowe's. My question/comment is that I rarely use the toaster oven
> (for an occasional frozen pizza basically. It seems more efficient
> than heating the gas oven). It seems to me the small toaster oven is
> not nearly as efficient as the 2 slice toaster. Not that any toaster
> is very efficient to begin with, but the 2 slice one seems slightly
> more efficient. Thoughts, comments, bric-a-bracs?

I had a not-so-huge, 2 slice toaster oven back when the kids were
still kids. It toasted two slices of bread as quickly as a pop up
toaster and it could bake too so I loved it! One would wear out, I'd
fix it until they couldn't fix it anymore and buy a new one... until
GE sold their small appliance division to Black & Decker (which was
worse than cruddy). Fast forward a couple of decades - I think B&D
might make a decent two slice toaster oven *now*, but I am not in the
mind-set to buy one anymore. I don't care that I'm heating up a full
sized oven to make a baked potato - my oven doesn't add any heat to
the room. So it costs me a penny or two more in electricity. I don't
care.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 05:59:58 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> but the oven is the best tool for those small
> heating jobs you mention, like reheating a slice of pizza.

Heating up pizza in a cast iron pan really works. I showed hubby not
too long ago and he was amazed at how good it tasted and the crust was
just as crispy as it was when it was fresh out of the oven

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 1, 12:17*pm, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
> somebody wrote:
> > It seems to me the small toaster oven is
> > not nearly as efficient as the 2 slice toaster. *Not that any toaster
> > is very efficient to begin with, but the 2 slice one seems slightly
> > more efficient.

> Why is efficiency important here? *Are we talking about electricity
> consumption (and, if so, why)?

Not only electricity consumption, (which costs money, the more you
use, especially if it's something with a heating element in it), but
heating up the kitchen (in the summer) with a standard oven...makes
the A/C work harder.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 1, 12:39*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 02:06:22 -0700 (PDT), somebody
>
> > wrote:
> > So, I actually have another toaster. *I had got it for the wife before
> > we got married. *One of those little toaster ovens for about $80 at
> > Lowe's. *My question/comment is that I rarely use the toaster oven
> > (for an occasional frozen pizza basically. *It seems more efficient
> > than heating the gas oven). *It seems to me the small toaster oven is
> > not nearly as efficient as the 2 slice toaster. *Not that any toaster
> > is very efficient to begin with, but the 2 slice one seems slightly
> > more efficient. *Thoughts, comments, bric-a-bracs?

> I had a not-so-huge, 2 slice toaster oven back when the kids were
> still kids. *It toasted two slices of bread as quickly as a pop up
> toaster and it could bake too so I loved it! *One would wear out, I'd
> fix it until they couldn't fix it anymore and buy a new one... until
> GE sold their small appliance division to Black & Decker (which was
> worse than cruddy). *Fast forward a couple of decades - I think B&D
> might make a decent two slice toaster oven *now*, but I am not in the
> mind-set to buy one anymore. *I don't care that I'm heating up a full
> sized oven to make a baked potato - my oven doesn't add any heat to
> the room. *So it costs me a penny or two more in electricity. *I don't
> care.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

When GE sold out to B & D, their small appliances were crap. I have
always had a toaster oven, ever since they became available. I don't
know the brand of my current one - got it at JCP. Sunbeam and
Hamilton Beach still make reasonably good small appliances, along
with, of course, KA and Cuisinart. I don't know if those last two
make toaster ovens, though.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> I do know people who make toast in a toaster oven. A toaster is quicker for
> that because it will toast both sides at once.

strange that toaster ovens actually include the word "toaster" in the product
description, it's as if they thought the oven might have other uses. it's even
stranger when you notice the choice of settings includes "toast" and when you
use that setting, both sides actually get toasted.

it's a miracle
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:

> It only makes sense that a uni-tasker like a 2-slice toaster does that
> single job better than a multi-tasker like a toaster oven. I'm with
> Alton Brown and don't like uni-taskers in my small kitchen so we have
> only the toaster oven and not the toaster.

That logic only applies to stuff you don't do
very often. If you eat toast every day, having
the proper tool for the job makes sense.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Steve Freides wrote:
>
>> It only makes sense that a uni-tasker like a 2-slice toaster does that
>> single job better than a multi-tasker like a toaster oven. I'm with
>> Alton Brown and don't like uni-taskers in my small kitchen so we have
>> only the toaster oven and not the toaster.

To me the efficiency issue is use of the ever limited countertop space.
A toaster oven has a larger footprint so it has a strong need for many
other uses or it ends up migrating under the counter, then onto the
shelves, out into the gargage, maybe even eventually to the gargage
sale. Every kitchen gadget has a trajectory like that finally ending up
in any of those locations. Very few keep earning a space on the counter
year after year.

> That logic only applies to stuff you don't do
> very often. If you eat toast every day, having
> the proper tool for the job makes sense.

Agreed. Specialized and generalized tools both work at their own times.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 11:24:07 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> When GE sold out to B & D, their small appliances were crap.

Agreed.

> I have
> always had a toaster oven, ever since they became available. I don't
> know the brand of my current one - got it at JCP. Sunbeam and
> Hamilton Beach still make reasonably good small appliances, along
> with, of course, KA and Cuisinart. I don't know if those last two
> make toaster ovens, though.

I gave up on toaster ovens after I couldn't buy the GE 2 slice anymore
and the humongous DeLonghi 4 slice toaster oven (that I paid too much
money for) gave up the ghost is only two years. What a waste of
money. I decided to start using my regular oven. I never needed to
fix or replace it, so the few cents I spent heating it were more than
repaid by not having to replace yet another toaster oven at $100+ a
pop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 1, 11:24*am, Nancy2 > wrote:

> When GE sold out to B & D, their small appliances were crap. *I have
> always had a toaster oven, ever since they became available. *I don't
> know the brand of my current one - got it at JCP. *Sunbeam and
> Hamilton Beach still make reasonably good small appliances, along
> with, of course, KA and Cuisinart. *I don't know if those last two
> make toaster ovens, though.

I guess I'm one of the few people who got a good B & D toaster oven.
Mine has been great. It has a
bump out on the back wall so you can do a pizza in it as well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 08:12:41 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> I guess I'm one of the few people who got a good B & D toaster oven.
> Mine has been great.

Glad to hear that. I wasn't interested in them because the doors of
the shelf models didn't move properly and I just wasn't going to take
a chance on a product with an obvious defect.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 > wrote:
> On Jun 1, 12:17 pm, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
>> somebody wrote:
>>> It seems to me the small toaster oven is
>>> not nearly as efficient as the 2 slice toaster. Not that any toaster
>>> is very efficient to begin with, but the 2 slice one seems slightly
>>> more efficient.

>> Why is efficiency important here? Are we talking about electricity
>> consumption (and, if so, why)?
>>

> Not only electricity consumption, (which costs money, the more you
> use, especially if it's something with a heating element in it), but
> heating up the kitchen (in the summer) with a standard oven...makes
> the A/C work harder.
>
> N.

Especially a gas oven.

I got a remanufactured cusinart 4 slice toaster, I love. Hamburger buns
also fit.

I turn on my little turbo toaster oven, pull out the basket, throw
precooked fries in, pull the basket out a few minutes later, empty into
plate. I got the only toaster oven made with basket. What a Handy product,
was sold by toastmaster.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 2, 9:55*am, Andy > wrote:
> ImStillMags > wrote:
> > I guess I'm one of the few people who got a good B & D toaster oven.
> > Mine has been great. *It has a
> > bump out on the back wall so you can do a pizza in it as well.

> I got a B&D convection toaster oven. It works. I don't like all the
> membrane touch buttons and the LCD readout doesn't light up, making it a
> PITA to read.
>
> I use it to reheat pizza, convection cook small roasts and toast bread
> slices too wide for the two slice toaster.
>
> Aside: After years of upsidedown shaking toast crumbs out, I happened to
> notice a pull tab in the back. Sure enough it was the crumb tray. I only
> remembered the hinged bottom release to empty.
>
> Andy

One of the things I like about my B & D toaster oven is the pull out
crumb tray. Makes clean up a breeze.

http://www.cookn4u.com/wp-content/up...aster-Oven.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 13:28:55 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>ImStillMags > wrote:
>
>> One of the things I like about my B & D toaster oven is the pull out
>> crumb tray. Makes clean up a breeze.

>A very handsome toaster oven. Looks easy to operate.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Andy

A toaster oven can't compete with a pop-up for toasting bread... two
very different appliances... I doubt many use a toaster oven for
toasting bread, mostly they're used as a mini-oven. Bread doesn't
toast well/evenly in the horizontal postion, even early toasters that
were set on the stove top were designed to toast bread in the vertical
position.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 2, 2:16*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 13:28:55 -0500, Andy > wrote:
> >ImStillMags > wrote:

> >> One of the things I like about my B & D toaster oven is the pull out
> >> crumb tray. *Makes clean up a breeze.

> >A very handsome toaster oven. Looks easy to operate.

> >Thanks,

> >Andy

> A toaster oven can't compete with a pop-up for toasting bread... two
> very different appliances... I doubt many use a toaster oven for
> toasting bread, mostly they're used as a mini-oven. *Bread doesn't
> toast well/evenly in the horizontal postion, even early toasters that
> were set on the stove top were designed to toast bread in the vertical
> position.

Now you're really confuse Andy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> > A hundred a pop for a toaster oven? P.T. Barnum was right.
> >

> PT Barnum didn't make any money off me. It was a DeLonghi and it was
> a long time ago. I only bought it because of the raving reviews it
> got here on rfc, but I've learned in the mean time that the men of rfc
> spend too much money on gadgets and then vociferously try to justify
> the purchase here. Up to that point, I thought they knew what they
> were talking about, but now I know they don't. And that includes you.

I love toaster ovens. Some features would justify a premium price,
like digital controls and convection (internal fan). But I'd stick to
a premium brand, not the low-end fillers like JCP and Delonghi.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 22:11:36 -0400, George M. Middius
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> > > A hundred a pop for a toaster oven? P.T. Barnum was right.
> > >

> > PT Barnum didn't make any money off me. It was a DeLonghi and it was
> > a long time ago. I only bought it because of the raving reviews it
> > got here on rfc, but I've learned in the mean time that the men of rfc
> > spend too much money on gadgets and then vociferously try to justify
> > the purchase here. Up to that point, I thought they knew what they
> > were talking about, but now I know they don't. And that includes you.

> I love toaster ovens. Some features would justify a premium price,
> like digital controls and convection (internal fan). But I'd stick to
> a premium brand, not the low-end fillers like JCP and Delonghi.

To think there was a time when Delonghi was the one and only product
to buy here.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George M. Middius > wrote:
> sf wrote:
>
>>> A hundred a pop for a toaster oven? P.T. Barnum was right.
>>>

>> PT Barnum didn't make any money off me. It was a DeLonghi and it was
>> a long time ago. I only bought it because of the raving reviews it
>> got here on rfc, but I've learned in the mean time that the men of rfc
>> spend too much money on gadgets and then vociferously try to justify
>> the purchase here. Up to that point, I thought they knew what they
>> were talking about, but now I know they don't. And that includes you.

> I love toaster ovens. Some features would justify a premium price,
> like digital controls and convection (internal fan). But I'd stick to
> a premium brand, not the low-end fillers like JCP and Delonghi.

It should be obvious that the smaller it is, the faster it can heat up.
Some are less than 1500 watts, and some are more.

They all seem to get too hot on the exterior.

First called turbo ovens in late 70's, some marketing genius decided to
call it convection. It's fan operated.

This is what I'm talking about with handle on Pull out basket. Every time
they come on eBay, you get over a dozen bids. Never have to put hand into
oven.
From preheat, brown and split dogs in 6 minutes.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...1-20/ref=nosim

Greg