Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Finger food menu, plz

A friend is throwing an open house for the h.s. graduate daughter . I
suggested she stick to finger food only - hence, no silver to wash, no
guests trying to plate and cutlery balance etc.

I suggested

tiny finger sandwiches (ham, chicken salad, tuna, crab)
pineapple chunks on toothpicks
one or two bite cupcakes
sherbet punch in paper cups

Any other suggs? I offered to help her prep the food, so I'd like to
keep it easy-peasy.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On May 20, 10:00*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> A friend is throwing an open house for the h.s. graduate daughter . *I
> suggested she stick to finger food only - hence, no silver to wash, no
> guests trying to plate and cutlery balance etc.
>
> I suggested
>
> *tiny finger sandwiches (ham, chicken salad, tuna, crab)
> pineapple chunks on toothpicks
> one or two bite cupcakes
> sherbet punch in paper cups
>
> Any other suggs? *I offered to help her prep the food, so I'd like to
> keep it easy-peasy.
>
> Thanks.

See if there is anything in this section that might be applicable.

http://hizzoners.com/recipes/appetizers-
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-20 17:00:52 +0000, Kalmia said:

> A friend is throwing an open house for the h.s. graduate daughter . I
> suggested she stick to finger food only - hence, no silver to wash, no
> guests trying to plate and cutlery balance etc.
>
> I suggested
>
> tiny finger sandwiches (ham, chicken salad, tuna, crab)
> pineapple chunks on toothpicks
> one or two bite cupcakes
> sherbet punch in paper cups
>

> Any other suggs? I offered to help her prep the food, so I'd like to
> keep it easy-peasy.

Awful easy to add salami and cheeses cubed, impaled on a toothpick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sausage balls
pigs in blankets
mini corn muffins
cheese straws
fruit tray
crudite tray
relish tray
devilled eggs

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 20, 3:06*pm, Tara > wrote:
> sausage balls
> pigs in blankets
> mini corn muffins
> cheese straws
> fruit tray
> crudite tray
> relish tray
> devilled eggs
>
> Tara

Trying to eliminate anything which may result in a blob on the carpet,
so dev'd eggs are prob. out. Dips, she might conside, if not too
thin.

Sausage balls sound like a weiner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 20, 1:00*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> A friend is throwing an open house for the h.s. graduate daughter . *I
> suggested she stick to finger food only - hence, no silver to wash, no
> guests trying to plate and cutlery balance etc.
>
> I suggested
>
> *tiny finger sandwiches (ham, chicken salad, tuna, crab)
> pineapple chunks on toothpicks
> one or two bite cupcakes
> sherbet punch in paper cups
>
> Any other suggs? *I offered to help her prep the food, so I'd like to
> keep it easy-peasy.
>
> Thanks.

Shrimp? They're a tad pricy I guess. Stick em' on a big ole'
pineapple with toothpicks. Looks so '70's, but I think it's neat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 20, 1:00*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> A friend is throwing an open house for the h.s. graduate daughter . *I
> suggested she stick to finger food only - hence, no silver to wash, no
> guests trying to plate and cutlery balance etc.
>
> I suggested
>
> *tiny finger sandwiches (ham, chicken salad, tuna, crab)
> pineapple chunks on toothpicks
> one or two bite cupcakes
> sherbet punch in paper cups
>
> Any other suggs? *I offered to help her prep the food, so I'd like to
> keep it easy-peasy.
>
> Thanks.

You can make deep fried veggies battered, or breaded such as shrooms,
zucchini, etc.
Here's one: ribs: buy the cheap side ribs, and if you have a band
saw, this is easier, otherwise use a cleaver, or get the meat dept. to
cut them on their band saw. But cut them into smaller pieces. Boil/
simmer them until they are very tender. Let cool. Put them into a
marinade of your choice; i.e. soy sauce, ginger, garlic etc. Then
bread them and deep fry. A little more work than sandwiches.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
>A friend is throwing an open house for the h.s. graduate daughter . I
> suggested she stick to finger food only - hence, no silver to wash, no
> guests trying to plate and cutlery balance etc.
>
> I suggested
>
> tiny finger sandwiches (ham, chicken salad, tuna, crab)
> pineapple chunks on toothpicks
> one or two bite cupcakes
> sherbet punch in paper cups
>

> Any other suggs? I offered to help her prep the food, so I'd like to
> keep it easy-peasy.
>
> Thanks.

Veggies, chips and dip, cheese platter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 20, 4:47*pm, A Moose in Love >
wrote:
> On May 20, 1:00*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
>
> > A friend is throwing an open house for the h.s. graduate daughter . *I
> > suggested she stick to finger food only - hence, no silver to wash, no
> > guests trying to plate and cutlery balance etc.

> > I suggested

> > *tiny finger sandwiches (ham, chicken salad, tuna, crab)
> > pineapple chunks on toothpicks
> > one or two bite cupcakes
> > sherbet punch in paper cups

> > Any other suggs? *I offered to help her prep the food, so I'd like to
> > keep it easy-peasy.

> > Thanks.

> You can make deep fried veggies battered, or breaded such as shrooms,
> zucchini, etc.
> Here's one: *ribs: *buy the cheap side ribs, and if you have a band
> saw, this is easier, otherwise use a cleaver, or get the meat dept. to
> cut them on their band saw. *But cut them into smaller pieces. *Boil/
> simmer *them until they are very tender. *Let cool. *Put them into a
> marinade of your choice; i.e. soy sauce, ginger, garlic etc. *Then
> bread them and deep fry. *A little more work than sandwiches.

And if you don't wish to deep fry, pour lots of barbecue sauce over
the ribs, and do them in the oven.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 May 2012 15:14:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Kalmia" > wrote in message
>>A friend is throwing an open house for the h.s. graduate daughter . I
>> suggested she stick to finger food only - hence, no silver to wash, no
>> guests trying to plate and cutlery balance etc.
>>
>> I suggested
>>
>> tiny finger sandwiches (ham, chicken salad, tuna, crab)
>> pineapple chunks on toothpicks
>> one or two bite cupcakes
>> sherbet punch in paper cups
>>

>> Any other suggs? I offered to help her prep the food, so I'd like to
>> keep it easy-peasy.
>>
>> Thanks.

>Veggies, chips and dip, cheese platter.

Hotdogs simmered in beer. Easy
Baked beans. Peasy

It would help to know for approximately how many.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 20, 8:47*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 May 2012 15:14:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>

> > wrote:
>
> >"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> >>A friend is throwing an open house for the h.s. graduate daughter . *I
> >> suggested she stick to finger food only - hence, no silver to wash, no
> >> guests trying to plate and cutlery balance etc.

> >> I suggested

> >> tiny finger sandwiches (ham, chicken salad, tuna, crab)
> >> pineapple chunks on toothpicks
> >> one or two bite cupcakes
> >> sherbet punch in paper cups

> >> Any other suggs? *I offered to help her prep the food, so I'd like to
> >> keep it easy-peasy.

> >> Thanks.

> >Veggies, chips and dip, cheese platter.

> Hotdogs simmered in beer. Easy
> Baked beans. Peasy
>
> It would help to know for approximately how many.

She trying to keep it 'finger food'. A good 50 folk cud show up. The
grad's pals and the parents' associates too who know the kid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 May 2012 17:50:11 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On May 20, 8:47*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 May 2012 15:14:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>>

>> > wrote:

>> >Veggies, chips and dip, cheese platter.

>> Hotdogs simmered in beer. Easy
>> Baked beans. Peasy
>>
>> It would help to know for approximately how many.

>She trying to keep it 'finger food'. A good 50 folk cud show up. The
>grad's pals and the parents' associates too who know the kid.

That could be well over a hundred guests, and young people can eat a
lot... is there a dollar limit. It is very limiting to feed so many
nothing but finger food, and it wouldn't be very sanitary. I think
you'd have to at least allow toothpics... with strictly finger foods
I'd anticipate a lot of waste... with finger foods there will be a lot
of picking up and putting down... most are not going to want to eat
foods that others fingers have perused, I wouldn't want to.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 20, 12:00*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> A friend is throwing an open house for the h.s. graduate daughter . *I
> suggested she stick to finger food only - hence, no silver to wash, no
> guests trying to plate and cutlery balance etc.
>
> I suggested
>
> *tiny finger sandwiches (ham, chicken salad, tuna, crab)
> pineapple chunks on toothpicks
> one or two bite cupcakes
> sherbet punch in paper cups
>
> Any other suggs? *I offered to help her prep the food, so I'd like to
> keep it easy-peasy.
>
> Thanks.

A big hit has always been small cocktail cream puff shells, split and
stuffed with either tuna, chicken, ham ,or fake crab salad. Easy,
you can order everything from deli if you want and people usually
love them
Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Unless the party is at 6pm people dont need to be fed protein. People
usually either eat before or go out to eat after such parties. Is this
going to be a backyard keg of beer type party, an in-home no alchohol
type party, or a rented space champagne quartet type party?

I would get enormous bowls. Fill them with trail mix ingredients-nuts
crackers mints candy. Then have paper cups or those clear plastic cups
and let people "ladle" their cups full. For the grandparents generation
have the obligatory ordered bakery cake.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 May 2012 15:14:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Kalmia" > wrote in message
>>>A friend is throwing an open house for the h.s. graduate daughter . I
>>> suggested she stick to finger food only - hence, no silver to wash, no
>>> guests trying to plate and cutlery balance etc.
>>>
>>> I suggested
>>>
>>> tiny finger sandwiches (ham, chicken salad, tuna, crab)
>>> pineapple chunks on toothpicks
>>> one or two bite cupcakes
>>> sherbet punch in paper cups
>>>

>>> Any other suggs? I offered to help her prep the food, so I'd like to
>>> keep it easy-peasy.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>>Veggies, chips and dip, cheese platter.

> Hotdogs simmered in beer. Easy
> Baked beans. Peasy
>
> It would help to know for approximately how many.

Since when are baked beans a finger food? Hey! You're not the guy who
broke a record by eating them with a toothpick are ya?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 May 2012 17:50:11 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
>>On May 20, 8:47 pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>>> On Sun, 20 May 2012 15:14:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Hotdogs simmered in beer. Easy
>>> Baked beans. Peasy
>>>
>>> It would help to know for approximately how many.

>>She trying to keep it 'finger food'. A good 50 folk cud show up. The
>>grad's pals and the parents' associates too who know the kid.

> That could be well over a hundred guests, and young people can eat a
> lot... is there a dollar limit. It is very limiting to feed so many
> nothing but finger food, and it wouldn't be very sanitary. I think
> you'd have to at least allow toothpics... with strictly finger foods
> I'd anticipate a lot of waste... with finger foods there will be a lot
> of picking up and putting down... most are not going to want to eat
> foods that others fingers have perused, I wouldn't want to.

I think he means foods that can be eaten with the fingers. That doesn't
mean they have to be served with the fingers. Dip can have a spoon in it.
Chips and veggies can have tongs in them to serve up your portion onto your
plate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/20/2012 01:41 PM, Kalmia wrote:

> Sausage balls sound like a weiner.

Little Sausage Rolls: Little Smokies wrapped in strips of frozen
croissant dough or frozen puff pastry dough, thawed. Bake until browned,
puffy and crispy. Makes a two-nibble snack.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/20/2012 10:33 PM, Whirled Peas wrote:
> On 05/20/2012 01:41 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>

>> Sausage balls sound like a weiner.

> Little Sausage Rolls: Little Smokies wrapped in strips of frozen
> croissant dough or frozen puff pastry dough, thawed. Bake until browned,
> puffy and crispy. Makes a two-nibble snack.

I like little smokies when they are heated up with grape jelly, then
stuck on toothpicks.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/20/2012 08:52 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 5/20/2012 10:33 PM, Whirled Peas wrote:
>> On 05/20/2012 01:41 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>>

>>> Sausage balls sound like a weiner.

>> Little Sausage Rolls: Little Smokies wrapped in strips of frozen
>> croissant dough or frozen puff pastry dough, thawed. Bake until browned,
>> puffy and crispy. Makes a two-nibble snack.

> I like little smokies when they are heated up with grape jelly, then
> stuck on toothpicks.

I like them that way, too. The first time I ever had anything like this,
the grape jelly was mixed with mustard and the whole thing, Little
Smokies and all, was served simmering in a chafing dish with lots of
toothpicks nearby.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 May 2012 20:11:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 20 May 2012 15:14:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>Veggies, chips and dip, cheese platter.

>> Hotdogs simmered in beer. Easy
>> Baked beans. Peasy
>>
>> It would help to know for approximately how many.

>Since when are baked beans a finger food? Hey! You're not the guy who
>broke a record by eating them with a toothpick are ya?

I actually carry my own bamboo spork at all times, it's in my man bag
right next to my folding scissors.

If yoose are going to supply disposable paper plates then you really
ought to supply disposable eating utensils, disposable cups, and paper
napkins too. It's really idiotic to try feeding over 100 people like
they were literally dogs.... just ladle some slop into disposable
paper bowls and let them lap. I honestly don't see the point in not
supplying disposable eating utensils, they certainly are inexpensive
enough... and with all finger foods most will just get wasted. Why
not just put out a few large baskets of peanuts in the shell... and
serve bananas to the monkeys.. you are orchestrating a zoo, aintcha?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

use those mini cresioannts, sp, portion control, fruit skewers,
olive/cheese/meat cube skewers, if ease of prep is important buy the cheese
cubes and meat cubes in bulk, also develid eggs you can get the egglands
best already boiled/peeled and devil from there, Lee
"Kalmia" > wrote in message
>A friend is throwing an open house for the h.s. graduate daughter . I
> suggested she stick to finger food only - hence, no silver to wash, no
> guests trying to plate and cutlery balance etc.
>
> I suggested
>
> tiny finger sandwiches (ham, chicken salad, tuna, crab)
> pineapple chunks on toothpicks
> one or two bite cupcakes
> sherbet punch in paper cups
>

> Any other suggs? I offered to help her prep the food, so I'd like to
> keep it easy-peasy.
>
> Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sub cranberry sauce instead of grape jelly, really good Lee
"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 5/20/2012 10:33 PM, Whirled Peas wrote:
>> On 05/20/2012 01:41 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>>

>>> Sausage balls sound like a weiner.

>> Little Sausage Rolls: Little Smokies wrapped in strips of frozen
>> croissant dough or frozen puff pastry dough, thawed. Bake until browned,
>> puffy and crispy. Makes a two-nibble snack.

> I like little smokies when they are heated up with grape jelly, then stuck
> on toothpicks.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

what kind of person would even think to serve a party without serving
implements, ick, i don't even want to know such a person, julie you are
exactly right
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 20 May 2012 17:50:11 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
>> > wrote:

>>>She trying to keep it 'finger food'. A good 50 folk cud show up. The
>>>grad's pals and the parents' associates too who know the kid.

>> That could be well over a hundred guests, and young people can eat a
>> lot... is there a dollar limit. It is very limiting to feed so many
>> nothing but finger food, and it wouldn't be very sanitary. I think
>> you'd have to at least allow toothpics... with strictly finger foods
>> I'd anticipate a lot of waste... with finger foods there will be a lot
>> of picking up and putting down... most are not going to want to eat
>> foods that others fingers have perused, I wouldn't want to.

> I think he means foods that can be eaten with the fingers. That doesn't
> mean they have to be served with the fingers. Dip can have a spoon in it.
> Chips and veggies can have tongs in them to serve up your portion onto
> your plate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 8:17*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 May 2012 20:11:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>

> > wrote:
>
> >"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> .. .
> >> On Sun, 20 May 2012 15:14:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"

> >> Hotdogs simmered in beer. Easy
> >> Baked beans. Peasy

> >> It would help to know for approximately how many.

> >Since when are baked beans a finger food? *Hey! *You're not the guy who
> >broke a record by eating them with a toothpick are ya?

> I actually carry my own bamboo spork at all times, it's in my man bag
> right next to my folding scissors.
>
> If yoose are going to supply disposable paper plates then you really
> ought to supply disposable eating utensils, disposable cups, and paper
> napkins too. *It's really idiotic to try feeding over 100 people like
> they were literally dogs.... just ladle some slop into disposable
> paper bowls and let them lap. *I honestly don't see the point in not
> supplying disposable eating utensils, they certainly are inexpensive
> enough... and with all finger foods most will just get wasted. *Why
> not just put out a few large baskets of peanuts in the shell... and
> serve bananas to the monkeys.. you are orchestrating a zoo, aintcha?

What time does the zoo open? I wanna be there for sure!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 20, 11:07*pm, (z z) wrote:
> Unless the party is at 6pm people dont need to be fed protein. People
> usually either eat before or go out to eat after such parties. Is this
> going to be a backyard keg of beer type party, an in-home no alchohol
> type party, or a rented space champagne quartet type party?
>
> I would get enormous bowls. Fill them with trail mix ingredients-nuts
> crackers mints candy. Then have paper cups or those clear plastic cups
> and let people "ladle" their cups full. For the grandparents generation
> have the obligatory ordered bakery cake.

The hours are 3 to 6, in-home, the ppl are very religious, and with
kids around, I doubt alcohol will be in sight. They are just trying
to keep it simple, green and keep expenses down (hence, no plastic
forks etc) The Frau is trying to get by with just paper plates,
napkins and cups for the punch.

I attended a dead feast last week and most everything was finger food.
Tiny sandwiches, cut up fruits and veggies, - no one seemed to miss
the usual lasagna and baked ham so prevalent lately at buffets.