Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default French yogurt cake recipe in "Bringing Up Bebe"

Pamela Druckerman is the author of the book and this is a recipe that
is apparently quite popular in France.

http://www.cakestudent.com/yogurt-ca...nging-up-bebe/

For those who don't know, she's from the Wall St. Journal and lives in
France, where she observed that the parents there seem to be much more
in control of their kids - and the kids don't depend on parents for
entertainment, especially. She doesn't shy away from what she doesn't
like about French parenting, either - such as lack of social & medical
support for mothers who want to nurse. Her book is a bestseller right
now. Some have pointed out that the French style is pretty much the
same as what the American one was 50-60 years ago.

And, she writes, even preschoolers in France are expected to help cook
things such as this cake without making an awful mess - and with
minimal help!

Only trouble was, I made it this morning and it seems that either
Druckerman forgot to say that one should use TWO loaf pans (I haven't
tried using a 9-inch cake pan yet), OR she should have said to bake it
for about 90 minutes, not 45! Of course, I kept testing it with a
knife - about three times in all - so it came out fine.

Here's another version that I haven't tried:

http://babywithatwist.wordpress.com/...s-yogurt-cake/

It includes rum and lemon extract.

And finally, here's what one commentator said about the book's
naysayers:

"Let's see, French moms don't:

"Feed their kids McDonald's every day, expose their children to
religion (and the nonsense that is intelligent design, etc), don't
raise them to believe that sex is awful but violence is ok, don't have
a disdain for education (or elitism as we like to say in the US).

"That's just to name a few, so yes it is entirely possible that they
are better parents."

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 16, 10:05*am, Lenona > wrote:
> Pamela Druckerman is the author of the book and this is a recipe that
> is apparently quite popular in France.
>
> http://www.cakestudent.com/yogurt-ca...nging-up-bebe/
>
> For those who don't know, she's from the Wall St. Journal and lives in
> France, where she observed that the parents there seem to be much more
> in control of their kids - and the kids don't depend on parents for
> entertainment, especially. She doesn't shy away from what she doesn't
> like about French parenting, either - such as lack of social & medical
> support for mothers who want to nurse. Her book is a bestseller right
> now. Some have pointed out that the French style is pretty much the
> same as what the American one was 50-60 years ago.
>
> And, she writes, even preschoolers in France are expected to help cook
> things such as this cake without making an awful mess - and with
> minimal help!
>
> Only trouble was, I made it this morning and it seems that either
> Druckerman forgot to say that one should use TWO loaf pans (I haven't
> tried using a 9-inch cake pan yet), OR she should have said to bake it
> for about 90 minutes, not 45! Of course, I kept testing it with a
> knife - about three times in all - so it came out fine.

I can guess at the root cause: Individual yogurts in France are
100-125 grams, so only half a cup. This could make a much larger
amount of batter depending on the size of the yogurt cup you used,
because everything is scaled to the size of the yogurt cup.

> And finally, here's what one commentator said about the book's
> naysayers:
>
> "Let's see, French moms don't:
>
> "Feed their kids McDonald's every day,

But, MacDo is readily available, along with Quick (burgers) and Pizza
Hut.

> expose their children to
> religion (and the nonsense that is intelligent design, etc),

Roughly half of French children are baptized in the Catholic church,
and of those, roughly half make their First Communions around nine
years of age. Considering the fierce separation of church and state in
French education, I have to conclude French moms are exposing their
kids to religion.

> don't
> raise them to believe that sex is awful but violence is ok,

French people expect that their adolescent kids are going to fool
around.

> don't have
> a disdain for education (or elitism as we like to say in the US).

Education has been seen as the key to success for well over a century
in France. Plus it's seen as essential to be able to participate
effectively as a citizen.

> "That's just to name a few, so yes it is entirely possible that they
> are better parents."

One problem with the French way of child rearing is that, while strict
with their preteens, they allow their kids to get pretty wild during
adolescence.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 16, 2:45*pm, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
> On May 16, 10:05*am, Lenona > wrote:
>
> > Only trouble was, I made it this morning and it seems that either
> > Druckerman forgot to say that one should use TWO loaf pans (I haven't
> > tried using a 9-inch cake pan yet), OR she should have said to bake it
> > for about 90 minutes, not 45! Of course, I kept testing it with a
> > knife - about three times in all - so it came out fine.

> I can guess at the root cause: Individual yogurts in France are
> 100-125 grams, so only half a cup. This could make a much larger
> amount of batter depending on the size of the yogurt cup you used,
> because everything is scaled to the size of the yogurt cup.

So you're saying that a French yogurt container is NEVER equal to 6
fluid ounces - and one that weighs 125 grams would not equal enough
milliliters to make 6 fluid ounces? I don't have a scale that's that
good (though I have plenty of measuring cups) so I wouldn't know how
to make the conversion from weight to volume.

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lenona" > wrote in message
On May 16, 2:45 pm, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
> On May 16, 10:05 am, Lenona > wrote:
>
> > Only trouble was, I made it this morning and it seems that either
> > Druckerman forgot to say that one should use TWO loaf pans (I haven't
> > tried using a 9-inch cake pan yet), OR she should have said to bake it
> > for about 90 minutes, not 45! Of course, I kept testing it with a
> > knife - about three times in all - so it came out fine.

> I can guess at the root cause: Individual yogurts in France are
> 100-125 grams, so only half a cup. This could make a much larger
> amount of batter depending on the size of the yogurt cup you used,
> because everything is scaled to the size of the yogurt cup.

So you're saying that a French yogurt container is NEVER equal to 6
fluid ounces - and one that weighs 125 grams would not equal enough
milliliters to make 6 fluid ounces? I don't have a scale that's that
good (though I have plenty of measuring cups) so I wouldn't know how
to make the conversion from weight to volume.

Lenona.

Based on 1 litre of water weighing 1 Kilo then 125 grams = 125 millilitres
of water which using "metric cups" would be half a cup. And a google
conversion says 125 grams of water would equal 4.23 fluid ounces

Yoghurt may weigh less or more by volume than water.

Mike