Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grocery List tool - shop fast, shop easy

Julie Bove wrote:

> > Here's your first clue: DO NOT PRESS ON THE SCREEN! All it takes is
> > a very light swipe of your finger. Duh.

> The checker told me I had to press really hard or it wouldn't work.

Those screens detect heat, so you shouldn't have to press hard. You
may have to leave your finger on it for a couple seconds. Also, don't
wear gloves.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Me too! Jeans are bad to shop for and bras can be really bad too. I
>>> actually have better luck with these things by shopping online at stores
>>> that give really good descriptions, measurements and have a size chart
>>> listed. Once in a while something won't fit me right or be flattering
>>> but I save a TON of time by shopping this way.
>>>
>>> I try to stay out of the clothing departments in stores. Once in a while
>>> I will venture by one, see something I like, only to find out that they
>>> do not have it in my size or the color that I want.

>> I was going to mention bras. Now that is one miserable shopping trip.
>> WHY is it that if you find a bra you can stand, it is discontinued, so you
>> have to go through the arduous process of finding a new one every time you
>> are in dire need? And do the stores REALLY expect me to totally disrobe
>> my top half, try on the few I am allowed, and then get dressed again to go
>> get a few more? I usually stick to the rules, but in this case, I will
>> take in as many bras as I can. And chances are, I still won't find one
>> that fits.

> Either that or they cheapen the bras! I wore Bali bras for years and would
> just mail order them.
>
> After we moved back here, I went to the movies with my parents and all of a
> sudden I had a letdown feeling!
>
> I dashed into the restroom only to discover that the ring holding my strap
> on was now made of thin, cheap plastic and it had broken! I managed to put
> it temporarily back in place and sat very still through the movie.
>
> We had other places to go after that so I really needed a bra. There was a
> J.C. Penny store near there. I don't normally shop at that store but I
> figured it was my best shot for a cheap bra, figuring that whatever I got
> wouldn't be something I liked but would get me through that one day.
>
> Luckily the bra that I bought did fit and I was amazed to see that it was
> high quality. So I bought some more online when I got home.
>
> The thing that really got me was the nasty comment that my dad made. I
> can't remember his exact words but something about why didn't I buy a good
> bra? Why was I wearing a cheap one that broke? The bra wasn't cheap (IMO).
> Not expensive like a Wacoal but it wasn't a Best Form either! And I had
> only had it for a few months.

That's a very short lifespan for such a thing. Bali used to have
a good reputation. I gather they are now unreliable. Oh, woe is
me. Maybe *I* should look at JC Penney's. This reminds me of
something that I discovered about clothes in general back in the
70s. When I first started working I went through a phase of
buying designer clothes. BUT they were not well made. The
more-normal offerings lasted MUCH longer. My theory was that
designer clothes were not supposed to be worn many times, let
alone for years, so they didn't have to be made to last. Maybe
there is something similar going on with undergarments?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline wrote:
> On 5/16/2012 6:59 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Jean > wrote
>>> I always pay cash. And if there is time, I have my money out. If there
>>> is even more time, I sort some change or calculate the sales tax and
>>> whether I want quarters back.

>> I almost always pay cash. Once in a while the ATM machine will not be
>> working or it's an emergency purchase and I have to use my card.
>> Otherwise
>> I get the cash ready, including any change I might need. I am pretty
>> good
>> at figuring the total so can have about the right amount of cash ready to
>> pay.

> I'm pretty good at figuring out how much the grocery bill is going to
> run before I get to the checkout, but when I offer cash for payment the
> checkout girl/guy looks at me like I've got two heads. Just the other
> day I though one of them was going to call the manager on me because she
> couldn't get the correct change counted out and was getting all kinds of
> twisty about it. It's at times like those that the self-checkout lane
> has its advantages (it constantly yells at me to "Please take my items"
> while I count my change, double check my receipt and put my wallet away,
> but at least it doesn't throw canned goods on top of the bread out of
> spite)

Hehe re the two heads. I get some accusatory comments when I
overpay, having calculated change, like I haven't paid enough.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I was going to mention bras. Now that is one miserable shopping trip.
>>> WHY is it that if you find a bra you can stand, it is discontinued, so
>>> you have to go through the arduous process of finding a new one every
>>> time you are in dire need? And do the stores REALLY expect me to
>>> totally disrobe my top half, try on the few I am allowed, and then get
>>> dressed again to go get a few more? I usually stick to the rules, but in
>>> this case, I will take in as many bras as I can. And chances are, I
>>> still won't find one that fits.

>> Either that or they cheapen the bras! I wore Bali bras for years and
>> would just mail order them.
>>
>> After we moved back here, I went to the movies with my parents and all of
>> a sudden I had a letdown feeling!
>>
>> I dashed into the restroom only to discover that the ring holding my
>> strap on was now made of thin, cheap plastic and it had broken! I
>> managed to put it temporarily back in place and sat very still through
>> the movie.
>>
>> We had other places to go after that so I really needed a bra. There was
>> a J.C. Penny store near there. I don't normally shop at that store but I
>> figured it was my best shot for a cheap bra, figuring that whatever I got
>> wouldn't be something I liked but would get me through that one day.
>>
>> Luckily the bra that I bought did fit and I was amazed to see that it was
>> high quality. So I bought some more online when I got home.
>>
>> The thing that really got me was the nasty comment that my dad made. I
>> can't remember his exact words but something about why didn't I buy a
>> good bra? Why was I wearing a cheap one that broke? The bra wasn't
>> cheap (IMO). Not expensive like a Wacoal but it wasn't a Best Form
>> either! And I had only had it for a few months.

> That's a very short lifespan for such a thing. Bali used to have a good
> reputation. I gather they are now unreliable. Oh, woe is me. Maybe *I*
> should look at JC Penney's. This reminds me of something that I
> discovered about clothes in general back in the 70s. When I first started
> working I went through a phase of buying designer clothes. BUT they were
> not well made. The more-normal offerings lasted MUCH longer. My theory
> was that designer clothes were not supposed to be worn many times, let
> alone for years, so they didn't have to be made to last. Maybe there is
> something similar going on with undergarments?

I've had a few designer things over the years. I didn't have any problems
with them.

I did notice that we sold some things at K Mart that were actually high
quality and Nordstrom sold the same things, but for less money! But K Mart
also sold some crappy items. Like baby sleep and play suits that shrank
and/or fell apart at the first washing. And cheap T-Shirts that became
disfigured after washing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On 17 May 2012 16:43:27 GMT, KenK wrote:
>
>> The oranges I've been getting have thick skins. I did some weighing and
>> the removed skins weigh almost half the complete orage. At about $1 a
>> pound for oranges that's too much for peelings.

> There's nothing that says you can't peel the oranges before you get to
> the checkout. Some people rip the stems off of portabello mushrooms
> and peel the outer leaves off of cabbage. They even have a trashcan
> there for them. So why not peel the oranges, too?
>
> They even give out free orange peelers at my grocery store. I picked
> a couple up yesterday:
>
> http://i48.tinypic.com/23r2rrk.jpg
>
> So why put them there if they didn't want you to use them?

Hmmm... That's an interesting notion! I suppose it wouldn't matter if the
store charged per orange. But most charge per pound. Speaking of which...

My dad said he wouldn't buy groceries at Target because they charged per
piece for bananas. At 25 cents per banana, this didn't seem like a bad deal
to me. But then I noticed that Costco is selling them at 3 pounds for
$1.39. I won't buy bananas there any more though because we had fruit fly
issues with them. Plus it is just waaaay too many bananas for our
household.

Some stores have a bin so you can shuck your corn right there. I always
wondered why they did this. I don't like buying corn in the husk even
though I think it is better, flavorwise to keep it in the husk. I just
don't like worms. And twice I have brought home a worm in the husk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 17, 6:37*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:

> >> I was going to mention bras. *Now that is one miserable shopping trip.
> >> WHY is it that if you find a bra you can stand, it is discontinued, so you
> >> have to go through the arduous process of finding a new one every time you
> >> are in dire need? *And do the stores REALLY expect me to totally disrobe
> >> my top half, try on the few I am allowed, and then get dressed again to go
> >> get a few more? I usually stick to the rules, but in this case, I will
> >> take in as many bras as I can. *And chances are, I still won't find one
> >> that fits.

> > Either that or they cheapen the bras! *I wore Bali bras for years and would
> > just mail order them.

> > After we moved back here, I went to the movies with my parents and all of a
> > sudden I had a letdown feeling!

> > I dashed into the restroom only to discover that the ring holding my strap
> > on was now made of thin, cheap plastic and it had broken! *I managed to put
> > it temporarily back in place and sat very still through the movie.

> > We had other places to go after that so I really needed a bra. *There was a
> > J.C. Penny store near there. *I don't normally shop at that store but I
> > figured it was my best shot for a cheap bra, figuring that whatever I got
> > wouldn't be something I liked but would get me through that one day.

> > Luckily the bra that I bought did fit and I was amazed to see that it was
> > high quality. *So I bought some more online when I got home.

> > The thing that really got me was the nasty comment that my dad made. *I
> > can't remember his exact words but something about why didn't I buy a good
> > bra? *Why was I wearing a cheap one that broke? *The bra wasn't cheap (IMO).
> > Not expensive like a Wacoal but it wasn't a Best Form either! *And I had
> > only had it for a few months.

> That's a very short lifespan for such a thing. *Bali used to have
> a good reputation. *I gather they are now unreliable. *Oh, woe is
> me. *Maybe *I* should look at JC Penney's. *This reminds me of
> something that I discovered about clothes in general back in the
> 70s. *When I first started working I went through a phase of
> buying designer clothes. *BUT they were not well made. *The
> more-normal offerings lasted MUCH longer. *My theory was that
> designer clothes were not supposed to be worn many times, let
> alone for years, so they didn't have to be made to last. *Maybe
> there is something similar going on with undergarments?

Sara Lee Corporation spun off their Bali-owning underwear unit,
Hanesbrands, in 2006. Maybe the product line was cheapened under the
new management?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote in news:1vvp2natotd9d
:

> On 17 May 2012 16:43:27 GMT, KenK wrote:
>
>> The oranges I've been getting have thick skins. I did some weighing

and
>> the removed skins weigh almost half the complete orage. At about $1 a
>> pound for oranges that's too much for peelings.

> There's nothing that says you can't peel the oranges before you get to
> the checkout. Some people rip the stems off of portabello mushrooms
> and peel the outer leaves off of cabbage. They even have a trashcan
> there for them. So why not peel the oranges, too?
>
> They even give out free orange peelers at my grocery store. I picked
> a couple up yesterday:
>
> http://i48.tinypic.com/23r2rrk.jpg
>
> So why put them there if they didn't want you to use them?
>
> -sw

The oranges I usually get come in a bag and the price is per 4# bag.

I've never noticed any orange peelers there. I've never heard of peeling
oranges - or any other fruit for that matter - before purchasing. Sounds
quite unsanitary to me; but what do I know?

--
"Experience is something you don't get until
just after you need it." Steven Wright

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Thu, 17 May 2012 15:30:42 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
> > Say your wallet is lost or stolen... Someone could use your credit card
> > unauthorized and you are only liable for $50. If they use your debit card,
> > they could clean out your entire bank account.

> That's old information. Visa and Mastercard have limited debit card
> liability to $50. I don't think that applies to ATM withdrawals and
> "cash back" since that's between you and your bank (but somebody would
> have to have your PIN to rip you off that way).
>
> Even under the old rules, the limit was $50 unless you waited more
> than 2 days to notify your bank. I would know if I lost my wallet
> within 2 days unless I was physically disabled (in which case that is
> a defense).
>
> Getting the charges reversed WILL take longer with a debit card.
> Whereas with a credit card you're disputing an amount you haven't yet
> paid. So you're not out that money... yet.
>
> -sw

I'll have to check in to this more, Steve. A store owner told me yesterday
that, yes, someone could clean out your bank account and no reimbursment for
a debit card. I know about the credit card $50 limit. According to him,
that does not apply to debit cards.

I plan to check with my bank about this (Wells Fargo). I wouldn't be
surprised to find out that there is no safety there. Not even a 2-day
notification period.

Forget the PIN number safety zone too. Debit cards can also be used as
credit cards in many stores. Some stores ONLY treat them as credit,
ie...you sign the receipt instead of entering a pin number. Someone won't
be able to get cash from your debit card without the pin number but they can
very well go on a shopping spree for goods.

If this "scare" turns out to be true, Gary will stop carrying his debit card
in wallet and only take it out when he plans a trip to use it.

:-O

PS - everyone here should ask their bank about this as some banks might have
different policies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:

> I've never heard of peeling
> oranges - or any other fruit for that matter - before purchasing. Sounds
> quite unsanitary to me; but what do I know?

That's pretty wierd. I can't imagine any grocery store allowing that. I
suspect Stevo stayed up way too late when he wrote that.

Gary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 17 May 2012 15:30:42 -0400, Gary wrote:
> >
> > > Say your wallet is lost or stolen... Someone could use your credit card
> > > unauthorized and you are only liable for $50. If they use your debit card,
> > > they could clean out your entire bank account.

> > That's old information. Visa and Mastercard have limited debit card
> > liability to $50. I don't think that applies to ATM withdrawals and
> > "cash back" since that's between you and your bank (but somebody would
> > have to have your PIN to rip you off that way).
> >
> > Even under the old rules, the limit was $50 unless you waited more
> > than 2 days to notify your bank. I would know if I lost my wallet
> > within 2 days unless I was physically disabled (in which case that is
> > a defense).
> >
> > Getting the charges reversed WILL take longer with a debit card.
> > Whereas with a credit card you're disputing an amount you haven't yet
> > paid. So you're not out that money... yet.
> >
> > -sw

> I'll have to check in to this more, Steve. A store owner told me yesterday
> that, yes, someone could clean out your bank account and no reimbursment for
> a debit card. I know about the credit card $50 limit. According to him,
> that does not apply to debit cards.

In the UK, fraudulent use of both debit and credit cards is fully
protected by the issuing bank or company.

> Forget the PIN number safety zone too. Debit cards can also be used as
> credit cards in many stores.

Not in the UK; without the PIN it's impossible to use debit or credit
cards in any machine or store transaction.

Janet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 May 2012 15:50:54 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>I'll have to check in to this more, Steve. A store owner told me yesterday
>that, yes, someone could clean out your bank account and no reimbursment for
>a debit card. I know about the credit card $50 limit. According to him,
>that does not apply to debit cards.
>
>I plan to check with my bank about this (Wells Fargo). I wouldn't be
>surprised to find out that there is no safety there. Not even a 2-day
>notification period.

My bank makes it a point to tell you the protections for the debit
card are the same as the credit. Years ago it was different, but they
have to complete if they want them used.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Meanwhile, back to shopping fast and entering numbers, our local gas
stations have started requiring that you enter your zip code. Something
about preventing using stolen cards I'm guessing. Fortunately, I was with
Mr. Esther the first time he encountered that requirement. He didn't know
his zip code. Never has known. Doesn't care. Says he's never needed to send
himself a letter. Polly Esther

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 May 2012 22:35:10 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:
>
>> Meanwhile, back to shopping fast and entering numbers, our local gas
>> stations have started requiring that you enter your zip code.

> Marketing research. Try typing in any old zip code and I bet it
> works.
>
>> Something
>> about preventing using stolen cards I'm guessing.

> Zip codes are only required in Verifones when the credit card is not
> present. Never at POS terminals.
>
> My grocery store's POS terminals asks for zip code when they start
> ringing up the first item in your load. But if you just ignore it and
> swipe your card, that question disappears and it works just fine.

Several stores around here ask for your phone number. I get Very creative
when they ask. None of their business and I sure don't want them calling me.
I might be busy. Or napping. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message

> Not in the UK; without the PIN it's impossible to use debit or credit
> cards in any machine or store transaction.

Wow! I don't even know my CC PIN. I've never used it! Here you only need
it if taking cash from the ATM.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 May 2012 23:03:54 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On Fri, 18 May 2012 15:50:54 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>

> >I'll have to check in to this more, Steve. A store owner told me yesterday
> >that, yes, someone could clean out your bank account and no reimbursment for
> >a debit card. I know about the credit card $50 limit. According to him,
> >that does not apply to debit cards.
> >
> >I plan to check with my bank about this (Wells Fargo). I wouldn't be
> >surprised to find out that there is no safety there. Not even a 2-day
> >notification period.

> My bank makes it a point to tell you the protections for the debit
> card are the same as the credit. Years ago it was different, but they
> have to complete if they want them used.

Maybe different banks have different policies. AFAIC, there's no
reason to use a debit card (unless you want a cash withdrawal); but I
just do cash back because it's paid off at the end of the month
anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> Maybe different banks have different policies. AFAIC, there's no
> reason to use a debit card (unless you want a cash withdrawal); but I
> just do cash back because it's paid off at the end of the month
> anyway.

What's paid off at the end of the month? There's nothing to pay with a
debit card. I only use a debit card if I don't have the cash and can't get
any cash. Such as at a store with no ATM or a broken ATM.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 May 2012 22:46:55 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 18 May 2012 22:35:10 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:
>
>> Meanwhile, back to shopping fast and entering numbers, our local gas
>> stations have started requiring that you enter your zip code.

>Marketing research. Try typing in any old zip code and I bet it
>works.

Nope. Had a brain fart one day and forg. .. mistyped my zipcode. I
had to keep trying until I got it right.

>> Something
>> about preventing using stolen cards I'm guessing.

>Zip codes are only required in Verifones when the credit card is not
>present. Never at POS terminals.

Fairly common at small independent gas stations in these parts. Less
common, but I have run across it in some retail establishment a year
or two ago.

>My grocery store's POS terminals asks for zip code when they start
>ringing up the first item in your load. But if you just ignore it and
>swipe your card, that question disappears and it works just fine.

The only one I ran across was a girl asking for it when I went to
charge something. Don't know if she would have cared if I got it
wrong.

I'll bet this varies a lot by state as each attorney general thinks he
knows just the right balance to eliminate all fraud with credit cards.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2012 7:06 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> On Fri, 18 May 2012 22:46:55 -0500, >
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 18 May 2012 22:35:10 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:
>>
>>> Meanwhile, back to shopping fast and entering numbers, our local gas
>>> stations have started requiring that you enter your zip code.

>> Marketing research. Try typing in any old zip code and I bet it
>> works.
>>

> Nope. Had a brain fart one day and forg. .. mistyped my zipcode. I
> had to keep trying until I got it right.

Ah, that just happened to us on vacation. Fat finger syndrome
and the wrong zip code was entered. Then it didn't want to pump
gas unless you went inside and, presumably, proved your identity.
Used another card, then heard about it when we got home, someone
tried to use your card!

Geez. That's why I never leave home with just one card, you never
know.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2012 11:52 PM, Polly Esther wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 18 May 2012 22:35:10 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:
>>
>>> Meanwhile, back to shopping fast and entering numbers, our local gas
>>> stations have started requiring that you enter your zip code.

>> Marketing research. Try typing in any old zip code and I bet it
>> works.
>>
>>> Something
>>> about preventing using stolen cards I'm guessing.

>> Zip codes are only required in Verifones when the credit card is not
>> present. Never at POS terminals.
>>
>> My grocery store's POS terminals asks for zip code when they start
>> ringing up the first item in your load. But if you just ignore it and
>> swipe your card, that question disappears and it works just fine.
>>

> Several stores around here ask for your phone number. I get Very
> creative when they ask. None of their business and I sure don't want
> them calling me. I might be busy. Or napping. Polly

I just say 'no' when they say 'can I have your phone number'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> I typed 5 words into Google and came up with this:
>
> https://www.wellsfargo.com/debit-card/protect/
>
> Further research says you are liable for nothing if you report the
> fraudulent transactions within 60 days.
>
> I'll charge your card for my research fee.

Damn, Steve. You win again!

I most always google for info but for some reason I was thinking to call up
the bank to find out the deal. WTH? That *is* good to know though. Guess
I'll keep my debit card in my wallet rather than leave it at home.

You do deserve a research fee for that. Tell you what: I'll be first in
line to buy your future cookbook (with pictures) about making sandwiches.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On Fri, 18 May 2012 15:50:54 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>

> >I'll have to check in to this more, Steve. A store owner told me yesterday
> >that, yes, someone could clean out your bank account and no reimbursment for
> >a debit card. I know about the credit card $50 limit. According to him,
> >that does not apply to debit cards.
> >
> >I plan to check with my bank about this (Wells Fargo). I wouldn't be
> >surprised to find out that there is no safety there. Not even a 2-day
> >notification period.

> My bank makes it a point to tell you the protections for the debit
> card are the same as the credit. Years ago it was different, but they
> have to complete if they want them used.

That's one of my big flaws. I'll do serious research on something then I
continue to believe it all years later when things have changed. I need to
update myself often just as software does.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2012 9:55 AM, Gary wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 18 May 2012 15:50:54 -0400, > wrote:
>>

>>> I'll have to check in to this more, Steve. A store owner told me yesterday
>>> that, yes, someone could clean out your bank account and no reimbursment for
>>> a debit card. I know about the credit card $50 limit. According to him,
>>> that does not apply to debit cards.
>>>
>>> I plan to check with my bank about this (Wells Fargo). I wouldn't be
>>> surprised to find out that there is no safety there. Not even a 2-day
>>> notification period.

>> My bank makes it a point to tell you the protections for the debit
>> card are the same as the credit. Years ago it was different, but they
>> have to complete if they want them used.

> That's one of my big flaws. I'll do serious research on something then I
> continue to believe it all years later when things have changed. I need to
> update myself often just as software does.
>
> Gary

And believe it or not cash is still legal tender...

I am not a big fan of helping out the banks who want to insert
themselves into every transaction by using credit or debit cards. I only
use a CC for stuff like online tickets and reserving hotels where cash
wouldn't work.

Notably at least 6 new or "reborn" mini marts have opened nearby this
year that are cash only. They sell gas for ~ 3% less than the other
places.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 May 2012 20:53:04 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Janet" > wrote in message
>>
>> Not in the UK; without the PIN it's impossible to use debit or credit
>> cards in any machine or store transaction.

>Wow! I don't even know my CC PIN. I've never used it! Here you only need
>it if taking cash from the ATM.

You don't know it because you probably don't have one. In Europe (and
to a lesser degree but growing in the US), chip & pin cards are the
norm. You just tap, put in the pin and the charge is made. No need
to swipe, no need to sign.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 May 2012 00:12:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > Maybe different banks have different policies. AFAIC, there's no
> > reason to use a debit card (unless you want a cash withdrawal); but I
> > just do cash back because it's paid off at the end of the month
> > anyway.

> What's paid off at the end of the month? There's nothing to pay with a
> debit card. I only use a debit card if I don't have the cash and can't get
> any cash. Such as at a store with no ATM or a broken ATM.

Right back at you... I don't use a debit card because it's paid off at
the end of the month. I don't have to do anything, the bank does it
for me. It's all automatic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On May 17, 6:37 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> Either that or they cheapen the bras! I wore Bali bras for years and would
>>> just mail order them.
>>> After we moved back here, I went to the movies with my parents and all of a
>>> sudden I had a letdown feeling!
>>> I dashed into the restroom only to discover that the ring holding my strap
>>> on was now made of thin, cheap plastic and it had broken! I managed to put
>>> it temporarily back in place and sat very still through the movie.
>>> We had other places to go after that so I really needed a bra. There was a
>>> J.C. Penny store near there. I don't normally shop at that store but I
>>> figured it was my best shot for a cheap bra, figuring that whatever I got
>>> wouldn't be something I liked but would get me through that one day.
>>> Luckily the bra that I bought did fit and I was amazed to see that it was
>>> high quality. So I bought some more online when I got home.
>>> The thing that really got me was the nasty comment that my dad made. I
>>> can't remember his exact words but something about why didn't I buy a good
>>> bra? Why was I wearing a cheap one that broke? The bra wasn't cheap (IMO).
>>> Not expensive like a Wacoal but it wasn't a Best Form either! And I had
>>> only had it for a few months.

>> That's a very short lifespan for such a thing. Bali used to have
>> a good reputation. I gather they are now unreliable. Oh, woe is
>> me. Maybe *I* should look at JC Penney's. This reminds me of
>> something that I discovered about clothes in general back in the
>> 70s. When I first started working I went through a phase of
>> buying designer clothes. BUT they were not well made. The
>> more-normal offerings lasted MUCH longer. My theory was that
>> designer clothes were not supposed to be worn many times, let
>> alone for years, so they didn't have to be made to last. Maybe
>> there is something similar going on with undergarments?
>>

> Sara Lee Corporation spun off their Bali-owning underwear unit,
> Hanesbrands, in 2006. Maybe the product line was cheapened under the
> new management?

Hmmm. Along with the now pretty cr... (no, that could be too
apropos for some) CRU... (ditto) crummy Hanes then.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2012 12:23 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 18 May 2012 22:52:47 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:
>
>> Several stores around here ask for your phone number. I get Very creative
>> when they ask. None of their business and I sure don't want them calling me.
>> I might be busy. Or napping. Polly

> Radio Shack has had that policy of asking for phone numbers and
> addresses for at least 20 years. I don't know if they still do it or
> not, but they were the "pioneers" of that marketing gimmick. I never
> gave them address or phone #.
>
> World Market/Cost Plus asks you for your zip code. Or at least they
> did until they started pushing their loyalty program. My answer to
> anybody who asks my zip code that doesn't need it is 20500. There is
> exactly *one* residence in the 20500 zip code.

20500 would be near me I think.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 18 May 2012 22:52:47 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:
>
>> Several stores around here ask for your phone number. I get Very creative
>> when they ask. None of their business and I sure don't want them calling me.
>> I might be busy. Or napping. Polly

> Radio Shack has had that policy of asking for phone numbers and
> addresses for at least 20 years. I don't know if they still do it or
> not, but they were the "pioneers" of that marketing gimmick. I never
> gave them address or phone #.
>
> World Market/Cost Plus asks you for your zip code. Or at least they
> did until they started pushing their loyalty program. My answer to
> anybody who asks my zip code that doesn't need it is 20500. There is
> exactly *one* residence in the 20500 zip code.
>
> -sw

Hmmm. Does the President have a private zip code?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Time Warner Bras" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 19 May 2012 16:47:17 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 19 May 2012 00:12:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> What's paid off at the end of the month? There's nothing to pay with a
>>> debit card. I only use a debit card if I don't have the cash and can't
>>> get
>>> any cash. Such as at a store with no ATM or a broken ATM.
>>>

>> Right back at you... I don't use a debit card because it's paid off at
>> the end of the month. I don't have to do anything, the bank does it
>> for me. It's all automatic.

> That's good it's automatic because I doubt you realize how it ACTUALLY
> works. I seriously doubt you're not getting cash back on your credit
> card.

I still don't know what she's talking about. *What* is paid off at the end
of the month? Her credit card? If she is getting cash back on that she is
getting screwed and just doesn't know it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2012 1:19 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 19 May 2012 07:38:54 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

>> Ah, that just happened to us on vacation. Fat finger syndrome
>> and the wrong zip code was entered. Then it didn't want to pump
>> gas unless you went inside and, presumably, proved your identity.

> Retailers cannot make you type in your zip code during a credit
> transaction when the card is present.

As hard as I argued with the pump, I got no response
aside from see cashier. Stupid machine.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>On Sat, 19 May 2012 07:06:39 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 18 May 2012 22:46:55 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>Marketing research. Try typing in any old zip code and I bet it
>>>works.

>> Nope.

>Yep.
>

>> Had a brain fart one day and forg. .. mistyped my zipcode. I
>> had to keep trying until I got it right.

>They can ask you (except in California, it's illegal there), but they
>can not require a valid answer to complete the transaction. If the
>card is present (swiped or scanned) there is nothing that can compel
>you to give out your zip code.

One thing might compel me. I'm standing at the register and I want
to buy what is sitting there. It is a PITA-- but who cares if one
more person has my zipcode? [especially someone who i just trusted
with my CC #?]

My experience at the gas pump confirms that the computer knows what
zipcode to expect- wrong code- no sale. I'm just assuming that the
girl at the checkout has the same info.

>http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-...est-zip-codes/

This article doesn't mention the argument that the [imo misguided]
retailers who say it prevents fraud say that they are asking for, *but
not recording* the info. MA had a case go to some higher court and
it was deemed permissible. I've heard about a court case in NY,
but don't know where it is at this point. I *do* know that some
gas stations still ask for a CC number, and if you give the wrong one,
you don't buy gas on that card.

Jim
[I'm not arguing the stupidity/futility of them asking-- I'm just
saying that they do-- and you either comply or figure out some other
way to pay]
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Ah, that just happened to us on vacation. Fat finger syndrome
>>> and the wrong zip code was entered. Then it didn't want to pump
>>> gas unless you went inside and, presumably, proved your identity.

>> Retailers cannot make you type in your zip code during a credit
>> transaction when the card is present.

> As hard as I argued with the pump, I got no response
> aside from see cashier. Stupid machine.

Exactly. Happens all the time at gas pumps. In my own geography I
learn which stations take debit cards and a PIN. Out travelling I
usually don't have time to go from station to station finding one that
does that.

A couple of times in the last year my statement has had problems with
gas stations while travelling. One added $100 to the amount. We
challenged the mount and paid the correct amount. One ran the charge
twice separated by an hour or two. We challenged the second one. I
suggest always taking a printed receipt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 9:00*am, Doug Freyburger > wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
> > Sqwertz wrote:

> >> Retailers cannot make you type in your zip code during a credit
> >> transaction when the card is present.

> > As hard as I argued with the pump, I got no response
> > aside from see cashier. *Stupid machine.

> Exactly. *Happens all the time at gas pumps. *In my own geography I
> learn which stations take debit cards and a PIN. *Out travelling I
> usually don't have time to go from station to station finding one that
> does that.
>
> A couple of times in the last year my statement has had problems with
> gas stations while travelling. *One added $100 to the amount. *We
> challenged the mount and paid the correct amount. *One ran the charge
> twice separated by an hour or two. *We challenged the second one. *I
> suggest always taking a printed receipt.

I don't feel the same way about taking a printed receipt now that I
have learned they contain endocrine disrupters that your body absorbs
(as proof: they show up in nursing mothers' breast milk).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

-snip-

>I think she thinks she's paying with her credit card. But if she's
>getting cash back at a POS terminal, she's isn't using a credit card.

??? Is that illegal in TX? I've never done it, but every time I
use my credit card at Sam's, the terminal asks *twice* if I want cash
back. I'm using their [Discover] card so maybe I'd run into
something different if I tried it at another store, but I can't
imagine why.

OTOH- I think she was talking about the 'cash back' bonus you can get
by using a credit card. I'm getting 5% on groceries this quarter--
other quarters it might be gas- or something else.

It is why I carry a few credit cards. They pay me a few hundred
dollars a year.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 May 2012 22:45:55 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> That's good it's automatic because I doubt you realize how it ACTUALLY
>>> works. I seriously doubt you're not getting cash back on your credit
>>> card.

>> I still don't know what she's talking about. *What* is paid off at the
>> end
>> of the month? Her credit card? If she is getting cash back on that she
>> is
>> getting screwed and just doesn't know it.

> I think she thinks she's paying with her credit card. But if she's
> getting cash back at a POS terminal, she's isn't using a credit card.
>
> Her credit card purchases are probably automatically paid VIA tha
> banks computers on the due date right from their savings/checking
> account(s). So she's oblivious to what she's actually doing.
>
> Obviously somebody else in the house manages the expenses and bank
> accounts.

I have some bills that are paid automatically but the credit card bill isn't
one of them. I want to see that bill each month.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
> -snip-
>>
>>I think she thinks she's paying with her credit card. But if she's
>>getting cash back at a POS terminal, she's isn't using a credit card.

> ??? Is that illegal in TX? I've never done it, but every time I
> use my credit card at Sam's, the terminal asks *twice* if I want cash
> back. I'm using their [Discover] card so maybe I'd run into
> something different if I tried it at another store, but I can't
> imagine why.
>
> OTOH- I think she was talking about the 'cash back' bonus you can get
> by using a credit card. I'm getting 5% on groceries this quarter--
> other quarters it might be gas- or something else.
>
> It is why I carry a few credit cards. They pay me a few hundred
> dollars a year.

I don't get a cash back bonus on my credit card. But I also don't pay any
fees.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2012 5:09 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Jim > wrote

>> OTOH- I think she was talking about the 'cash back' bonus you can get
>> by using a credit card. I'm getting 5% on groceries this quarter--
>> other quarters it might be gas- or something else.
>>
>> It is why I carry a few credit cards. They pay me a few hundred
>> dollars a year.

> I don't get a cash back bonus on my credit card. But I also don't pay any
> fees.

I get a cash back bonus, and I pay no fees.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2012 12:00 PM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

>> As hard as I argued with the pump, I got no response
>> aside from see cashier. Stupid machine.

> Exactly. Happens all the time at gas pumps. In my own geography I
> learn which stations take debit cards and a PIN. Out travelling I
> usually don't have time to go from station to station finding one that
> does that.

That sounds like a hassle, and you're right, when you're travelling,
you don't want to spend more time getting gas than you have to.

> A couple of times in the last year my statement has had problems with
> gas stations while travelling. One added $100 to the amount.

Wow.

> We
> challenged the mount and paid the correct amount. One ran the charge
> twice separated by an hour or two. We challenged the second one. I
> suggest always taking a printed receipt.

I've read that gas stations are a source of that kind of fraud more
than other types of places. You got hit twice, geez. Good thing you
were paying attention, I wonder how many times they get away with it.

nancy