Old 16-05-2012, 01:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grocery List tool - shop fast, shop easy

https://sites.google.com/site/bphilp/grocerylist

+ Peace of mind that you won't wonder the store aisles buying things you didn't mean to
+ A methodical map of the store you can follow to get only what you need as fast as possible
+ 4 day food planner
+ allergy & intolerance organizer

Old 16-05-2012, 01:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Samys Dad" wrote in message
news:[email protected]..

spam snipped

+ Peace of mind that you won't wonder the store aisles buying things you
didn't mean to

I never wonder the aisles. I wander what that even means?

+ A methodical map of the store you can follow to get only what you need
as fast as possible
+ 4 day food planner
+ allergy & intolerance organizer

A pen and paper works well for me.

Old 16-05-2012, 03:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

I do keep a thorough list of what should be in the pantry, refrigerator, and
freezer on computer. I print it and do an inventory before grocery shopping.
No fun at all. OTOH, I can't shove the pirogue out and paddle to the grocery
very often so the list is necessary. Gives me time to 'wonder' the aisles a
bit and see what's new, specially the produce section. Polly

Old 16-05-2012, 05:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 May 2012 17:49:42 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

I never wonder the aisles. I wander what that even means?

I do it. I spent too many years on the perimeter of the grocery
store, not having a clue about what was on the inside. I have time to
wander up and down to look now, so I do. As a result, my weekly
grocery bill is about 1/3 higher than it should be. sigh

Old 16-05-2012, 05:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
I never wonder the aisles. *I wander what that even means?

I do it. *I spent too many years on the perimeter of the grocery
store, not having a clue about what was on the inside. *I have time to
wander up and down to look now, so I do. *As a result, my weekly
grocery bill is about 1/3 higher than it should be. *sigh

As a young man, I did the weekly shopping for the family after our mom
died. Hungry after a long day of work, I wanted to get in and out of
the supermarket as fast as possible. So I made a list of everything we
regularly bought at the grocery store, and arranged it by aisle from
left to right. Then I made a little pile of photocopies. So I could
tick off things as we needed them, then grab the list as I ran out the
door. Back then, center store items such as cereal and canned goods
were a bigger part of my shopping than they are now.

Old 16-05-2012, 05:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
I do keep a thorough list of what should be in the pantry, refrigerator,
and freezer on computer. I print it and do an inventory before grocery
shopping. No fun at all. OTOH, I can't shove the pirogue out and paddle to
the grocery very often so the list is necessary. Gives me time to 'wonder'
the aisles a bit and see what's new, specially the produce section. Polly

I always like to look for new things.

Old 16-05-2012, 06:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
I never wonder the aisles. I wander what that even means?

I do it. I spent too many years on the perimeter of the grocery
store, not having a clue about what was on the inside. I have time to
wander up and down to look now, so I do. As a result, my weekly
grocery bill is about 1/3 higher than it should be. sigh

As a young man, I did the weekly shopping for the family after our mom
died. Hungry after a long day of work, I wanted to get in and out of
the supermarket as fast as possible. So I made a list of everything we
regularly bought at the grocery store, and arranged it by aisle from
left to right. Then I made a little pile of photocopies. So I could
tick off things as we needed them, then grab the list as I ran out the
door. Back then, center store items such as cereal and canned goods
were a bigger part of my shopping than they are now.

That's a good idea! I have seen pre-made lists but they usually include a
lot of things we don't even buy.

I have made a list on my computer but I buy so many things that are the same
now and I have to shop at so many different stores, I don't do that any
more.

Old 16-05-2012, 08:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 15, 8:49*pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:

A pen and paper works well for me.

Damn right. I buy index cards and fold like 3 of them back to back
in half vertically to fit in my shirt pocket, or pants pocket, either
way. I also carry a pen. I've been writing lists for years. I right
the list in the order of how I'm going to attack the store. I am not
against dawdling though. Sometimes things pop into view that are
worthwhile. But to wander aimlessly about when one is in a hurry and
then getting home only to find they've forgotten something, that is
stupid. It amazes people how fast I'm in and out of stores.

Speaking of stores, I also go to the Dollar Tree where everything
is a dollar, no less, no more. I know how they make their money. The
aisles are not marked by item, only by number. They want people to
wander. And if that's what's needed to keep the store in business,
sad to say I'm all for it. Another funny thing is that candy bars in
the dollar store are a dollar when often in the super markets they're
70 cents. I'm not a comparison shopper to the point where I'll go out
of my way to save a dime, but I store it in my head for later. I
can't figure the people who are so afraid of using a list. What are
they, afraid that someone is going to think they have alzheimers or
something?

Next on my list? - Hit the send button
TJ
Old 16-05-2012, 10:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I never wonder the aisles. I wander what that even means?

LOL Barbara!

I do it. I spent too many years on the perimeter of the grocery
store, not having a clue about what was on the inside. I have time to
wander up and down to look now, so I do. As a result, my weekly
grocery bill is about 1/3 higher than it should be. sigh

I always wander the aisles. It is a wonderful way to find out about
the area you are in, if you are traveling as I do so often. You can
find out so much about the culture of the area you are in.

I guess I am just curious about such things. I like finding out about
the different things that people like in various areas and what they
will spend money on.

I realized this when I first moved from California back to Kentucky.
In California, the canned food aisles were not that long or extensive.
When I got back to Kentucky, it astounded me. Miles and miles (it
seemed) of canned foods. And a tiny produce section compared to the
ones in California. I was astounded.

It is also fascinating wandering the aisles of the Mexican markets I
go to, or the Asian markets. Or any other ethnic market. One learns
a great deal about different cultures.

I cannot imagine not being curious about the way folks eat or cook, or
what they buy. I love being curious.

Christine
--

I hate grocery shopping. (If I could, I'd have groceries delivered to my
house.) But I do traverse each aisle, mostly because they keep moving

Jill

Old 16-05-2012, 02:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

MY method, Bub:

I have my own aisle guide for stuff I buy all the time. I give it as a
welcome gift to newcomers to the area too.

I keep a list on the fridge next to my shopping list of stuff to
review e.g. garlic, milk. These are things I don't want to run out
of the day after I shop.

I stick to my list, I don't look for specials, I park as far away from
the other cars for a quick getaway and fender-bender avoidance. I try
to make the grocery shopping experience as quick and efficient as
possible.

I am ready to whip my payt. card thru the scanner as the guy is
ringing up my stuff, so no one yells at me for change-fumbling or,
heaven forbid, check writing.. I even help bag my stuff, so the surly
teen bagger has a slightly better attitude and I can get the cold
stuff in one bag.
Old 16-05-2012, 03:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I never wonder the aisles. I wander what that even means?

I do it. I spent too many years on the perimeter of the grocery
store, not having a clue about what was on the inside. I have time to
wander up and down to look now, so I do. As a result, my weekly
grocery bill is about 1/3 higher than it should be. sigh

*Whoosh*

If you thought that was funny word play, you need to talk to Ophelia
not me.

Old 16-05-2012, 09:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Samys Dad wrote:
https://sites.google.com/site/bphilp/grocerylist

+ Peace of mind that you won't wonder the store aisles buying things
you didn't mean to + A methodical map of the store you can follow to
get only what you need as fast as possible + 4 day food planner
+ allergy & intolerance organizer

Funny. The chain I go to used to have somehting similar printed right on
their paper grocery bags...
--
bill n

Old 17-05-2012, 12:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 May 2012 05:02:46 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

I hate grocery shopping. (If I could, I'd have groceries delivered to my
house.) But I do traverse each aisle, mostly because they keep moving
things around. If I don't look all over the store I might miss or forget
something. I shop from a list but I do occasionally make an impulse
purchase. I couldn't do that if if didn't wander up and down the aisles.

I don't understand how people who like to cook (and eat) don't like
grocery shopping.

(snippage)

Grocery shopping is a chore. Sort of like mopping the kitchen floor. I do
it but I don't enjoy it. I enjoy cooking (and eating), but driving 20 miles
(one way) to buy food isn't my idea of fun. So I make a list and shop
pretty much shop once a month. Sure, I'll go to pick up milk, eggs or bread
at the dollar store the which is only 6 miles away. Other than that, I make
a list and fill the freezer and pantry from Pubix. Sometimes I go to the
meat market on Lady's Island and the vegetable stand on Friday or Saturday.
But I really don't like shopping.

Jill