Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grocery List tool - shop fast, shop easy

https://sites.google.com/site/bphilp/grocerylist

+ Peace of mind that you won't wonder the store aisles buying things you didn't mean to
+ A methodical map of the store you can follow to get only what you need as fast as possible
+ 4 day food planner
+ allergy & intolerance organizer
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Samys Dad" > wrote in message

<spam snipped>

> + Peace of mind that you won't wonder the store aisles buying things you
> didn't mean to

I never wonder the aisles. I wander what that even means?

> + A methodical map of the store you can follow to get only what you need
> as fast as possible
> + 4 day food planner
> + allergy & intolerance organizer

A pen and paper works well for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I do keep a thorough list of what should be in the pantry, refrigerator, and
freezer on computer. I print it and do an inventory before grocery shopping.
No fun at all. OTOH, I can't shove the pirogue out and paddle to the grocery
very often so the list is necessary. Gives me time to 'wonder' the aisles a
bit and see what's new, specially the produce section. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 May 2012 17:49:42 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I never wonder the aisles. I wander what that even means?

I do it. I spent too many years on the perimeter of the grocery
store, not having a clue about what was on the inside. I have time to
wander up and down to look now, so I do. As a result, my weekly
grocery bill is about 1/3 higher than it should be. <sigh>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 15, 9:42*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 15 May 2012 17:49:42 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>
> > wrote:
> > I never wonder the aisles. *I wander what that even means?

> I do it. *I spent too many years on the perimeter of the grocery
> store, not having a clue about what was on the inside. *I have time to
> wander up and down to look now, so I do. *As a result, my weekly
> grocery bill is about 1/3 higher than it should be. *<sigh>

As a young man, I did the weekly shopping for the family after our mom
died. Hungry after a long day of work, I wanted to get in and out of
the supermarket as fast as possible. So I made a list of everything we
regularly bought at the grocery store, and arranged it by aisle from
left to right. Then I made a little pile of photocopies. So I could
tick off things as we needed them, then grab the list as I ran out the
door. Back then, center store items such as cereal and canned goods
were a bigger part of my shopping than they are now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
>I do keep a thorough list of what should be in the pantry, refrigerator,
>and freezer on computer. I print it and do an inventory before grocery
>shopping. No fun at all. OTOH, I can't shove the pirogue out and paddle to
>the grocery very often so the list is necessary. Gives me time to 'wonder'
>the aisles a bit and see what's new, specially the produce section. Polly

I always like to look for new things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 15 May 2012 17:49:42 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I never wonder the aisles. I wander what that even means?

> I do it. I spent too many years on the perimeter of the grocery
> store, not having a clue about what was on the inside. I have time to
> wander up and down to look now, so I do. As a result, my weekly
> grocery bill is about 1/3 higher than it should be. <sigh>

*Whoosh*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"spamtrap1888" > wrote in message
On May 15, 9:42 pm, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 15 May 2012 17:49:42 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>
> > wrote:
> > I never wonder the aisles. I wander what that even means?

> I do it. I spent too many years on the perimeter of the grocery
> store, not having a clue about what was on the inside. I have time to
> wander up and down to look now, so I do. As a result, my weekly
> grocery bill is about 1/3 higher than it should be. <sigh>

As a young man, I did the weekly shopping for the family after our mom
died. Hungry after a long day of work, I wanted to get in and out of
the supermarket as fast as possible. So I made a list of everything we
regularly bought at the grocery store, and arranged it by aisle from
left to right. Then I made a little pile of photocopies. So I could
tick off things as we needed them, then grab the list as I ran out the
door. Back then, center store items such as cereal and canned goods
were a bigger part of my shopping than they are now.

That's a good idea! I have seen pre-made lists but they usually include a
lot of things we don't even buy.

I have made a list on my computer but I buy so many things that are the same
now and I have to shop at so many different stores, I don't do that any
more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 15, 8:49*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> A pen and paper works well for me.

Damn right. I buy index cards and fold like 3 of them back to back
in half vertically to fit in my shirt pocket, or pants pocket, either
way. I also carry a pen. I've been writing lists for years. I right
the list in the order of how I'm going to attack the store. I am not
against dawdling though. Sometimes things pop into view that are
worthwhile. But to wander aimlessly about when one is in a hurry and
then getting home only to find they've forgotten something, that is
stupid. It amazes people how fast I'm in and out of stores.

Speaking of stores, I also go to the Dollar Tree where everything
is a dollar, no less, no more. I know how they make their money. The
aisles are not marked by item, only by number. They want people to
wander. And if that's what's needed to keep the store in business,
sad to say I'm all for it. Another funny thing is that candy bars in
the dollar store are a dollar when often in the super markets they're
70 cents. I'm not a comparison shopper to the point where I'll go out
of my way to save a dime, but I store it in my head for later. I
can't figure the people who are so afraid of using a list. What are
they, afraid that someone is going to think they have alzheimers or
something?

Next on my list? - Hit the send button
TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 15 May 2012 21:42:55 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 15 May 2012 17:49:42 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>>
>>> I never wonder the aisles. I wander what that even means?

LOL Barbara!

>>I do it. I spent too many years on the perimeter of the grocery
>>store, not having a clue about what was on the inside. I have time to
>>wander up and down to look now, so I do. As a result, my weekly
>>grocery bill is about 1/3 higher than it should be. <sigh>

> I always wander the aisles. It is a wonderful way to find out about
> the area you are in, if you are traveling as I do so often. You can
> find out so much about the culture of the area you are in.
>
> I guess I am just curious about such things. I like finding out about
> the different things that people like in various areas and what they
> will spend money on.
>
> I realized this when I first moved from California back to Kentucky.
> In California, the canned food aisles were not that long or extensive.
> When I got back to Kentucky, it astounded me. Miles and miles (it
> seemed) of canned foods. And a tiny produce section compared to the
> ones in California. I was astounded.
>
> It is also fascinating wandering the aisles of the Mexican markets I
> go to, or the Asian markets. Or any other ethnic market. One learns
> a great deal about different cultures.
>
> I cannot imagine not being curious about the way folks eat or cook, or
> what they buy. I love being curious.
>
> Christine
> --

I hate grocery shopping. (If I could, I'd have groceries delivered to my
house.) But I do traverse each aisle, mostly because they keep moving
things around. If I don't look all over the store I might miss or forget
something. I shop from a list but I do occasionally make an impulse
purchase. I couldn't do that if if didn't wander up and down the aisles.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MY method, Bub:

I have my own aisle guide for stuff I buy all the time. I give it as a
welcome gift to newcomers to the area too.

I keep a list on the fridge next to my shopping list of stuff to
review e.g. garlic, milk. These are things I don't want to run out
of the day after I shop.

I stick to my list, I don't look for specials, I park as far away from
the other cars for a quick getaway and fender-bender avoidance. I try
to make the grocery shopping experience as quick and efficient as
possible.

I am ready to whip my payt. card thru the scanner as the guy is
ringing up my stuff, so no one yells at me for change-fumbling or,
heaven forbid, check writing.. I even help bag my stuff, so the surly
teen bagger has a slightly better attitude and I can get the cold
stuff in one bag.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 May 2012 21:59:01 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 15 May 2012 17:49:42 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I never wonder the aisles. I wander what that even means?

> > I do it. I spent too many years on the perimeter of the grocery
> > store, not having a clue about what was on the inside. I have time to
> > wander up and down to look now, so I do. As a result, my weekly
> > grocery bill is about 1/3 higher than it should be. <sigh>

> *Whoosh*

If you thought that was funny word play, you need to talk to Ophelia
not me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Samys Dad wrote:
> https://sites.google.com/site/bphilp/grocerylist
>
> + Peace of mind that you won't wonder the store aisles buying things
> you didn't mean to + A methodical map of the store you can follow to
> get only what you need as fast as possible + 4 day food planner
> + allergy & intolerance organizer

Funny. The chain I go to used to have somehting similar printed right on
their paper grocery bags...
--
bill n

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 15 May 2012 21:59:01 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Tue, 15 May 2012 17:49:42 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > I do it. I spent too many years on the perimeter of the grocery
>> > store, not having a clue about what was on the inside. I have time to
>> > wander up and down to look now, so I do. As a result, my weekly
>> > grocery bill is about 1/3 higher than it should be. <sigh>

>> *Whoosh*
>>

> If you thought that was funny word play, you need to talk to Ophelia
> not me.

Why?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 May 2012 05:02:46 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I hate grocery shopping. (If I could, I'd have groceries delivered to my
>> house.) But I do traverse each aisle, mostly because they keep moving
>> things around. If I don't look all over the store I might miss or forget
>> something. I shop from a list but I do occasionally make an impulse
>> purchase. I couldn't do that if if didn't wander up and down the aisles.

> I don't understand how people who like to cook (and eat) don't like
> grocery shopping.

(snippage)

Grocery shopping is a chore. Sort of like mopping the kitchen floor. I do
it but I don't enjoy it. I enjoy cooking (and eating), but driving 20 miles
(one way) to buy food isn't my idea of fun. So I make a list and shop
pretty much shop once a month. Sure, I'll go to pick up milk, eggs or bread
at the dollar store the which is only 6 miles away. Other than that, I make
a list and fill the freezer and pantry from Pubix. Sometimes I go to the
meat market on Lady's Island and the vegetable stand on Friday or Saturday.
But I really don't like shopping.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 16, 4:09*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>
> ...> On Wed, 16 May 2012 05:02:46 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
> >> I hate grocery shopping. *(If I could, I'd have groceries delivered to my
> >> house.) *But I do traverse each aisle, mostly because they keep moving
> >> things around. *If I don't look all over the store I might miss or forget
> >> something. *I shop from a list but I do occasionally make an impulse
> >> purchase. *I couldn't do that if if didn't wander up and down the aisles.

> > I don't understand how people who like to cook (and eat) don't like
> > grocery shopping.

> (snippage)
>
> Grocery shopping is a chore. *Sort of like mopping the kitchen floor. *I do
> it but I don't enjoy it. *I enjoy cooking (and eating), but driving 20 miles
> (one way) to buy food isn't my idea of fun. *So I make a list and shop
> pretty much shop once a month. *Sure, I'll go to pick up milk, eggs or bread
> at the dollar store the which is only 6 miles away. *Other than that, I make
> a list and fill the freezer and pantry from Pubix. *Sometimes I go to the
> meat market on Lady's Island and the vegetable stand on Friday or Saturday.
> But I really don't like shopping.
>
> Jill

You shop about once a month and complain about that? Geez.....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote:

>Grocery shopping is a chore. Sort of like mopping the kitchen floor. I do
>it but I don't enjoy it. I enjoy cooking (and eating), but driving 20 miles
>(one way) to buy food isn't my idea of fun.

So it is driving 20 miles that is a chore, not grocery shopping per se.

But yeah, grocery shopping is never as much fun as, say, wine shopping.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> jmcquown > wrote:
>
>>Grocery shopping is a chore. Sort of like mopping the kitchen floor. I
>>do
>>it but I don't enjoy it. I enjoy cooking (and eating), but driving 20
>>miles
>>(one way) to buy food isn't my idea of fun.

> So it is driving 20 miles that is a chore, not grocery shopping per se.

Both, actually. And spending the money on gas.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 16, 4:45*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Steve Pope" > wrote in message
>
> ...> jmcquown > wrote:
>
> >>Grocery shopping is a chore. *Sort of like mopping the kitchen floor. *I
> >>do
> >>it but I don't enjoy it. *I enjoy cooking (and eating), but driving 20
> >>miles
> >>(one way) to buy food isn't my idea of fun.

> > So it is driving 20 miles that is a chore, not grocery shopping per se.

> Both, actually. *And spending the money on gas.
>
> Jill

Well, if your car gets about 20 miles/gallon then it costs you about
$8 for shopping once a month. I'd say that's not bad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 16 May 2012 05:02:46 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I hate grocery shopping. (If I could, I'd have groceries delivered to my
>> house.) But I do traverse each aisle, mostly because they keep moving
>> things around. If I don't look all over the store I might miss or forget
>> something. I shop from a list but I do occasionally make an impulse
>> purchase. I couldn't do that if if didn't wander up and down the aisles.

> I don't understand how people who like to cook (and eat) don't like
> grocery shopping.
>
> I wander the isles when I plan on spending $40 or more. And I don't
> use a list. I buy what looks good when the price justifies it. I
> spent $120 yesterday at the grocery store and I had two things on my
> mental list - vinegar and lemon juice (because I'm a sour puss). All
> the rest, I guess you could call them "impulse buys".
>
> -sw

My approach varies. Some stores seem to invite more wandering
than others. I especially like looking at the ethnic offerings.
If I am doing so in an Asian store, especially, there is always
something interesting that catches my eye. I have to remember to
do this shop crawling when I am with my friend who also likes to
do that. My daughter acts like she is being tortured.

Oh, and new stores are also fun.

OTOH, I detest clothes shopping. They could at least have left
jeans alone....

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/16/2012 5:02 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> I hate grocery shopping. (If I could, I'd have groceries delivered to
> my house.) But I do traverse each aisle, mostly because they keep
> moving things around. If I don't look all over the store I might miss
> or forget something. I shop from a list but I do occasionally make an
> impulse purchase. I couldn't do that if if didn't wander up and down
> the aisles.

I love grocery shopping but it's ever increasingly hard to do. So, I do
get home delivery for my major shopping trip. It's easy to stick to a
list and not impulse buy. And because delivery is usually at least a
day away, I have time to add things I've forgotten.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 16 May 2012 05:02:46 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> I hate grocery shopping. (If I could, I'd have groceries delivered to
>>> my
>>> house.) But I do traverse each aisle, mostly because they keep moving
>>> things around. If I don't look all over the store I might miss or
>>> forget
>>> something. I shop from a list but I do occasionally make an impulse
>>> purchase. I couldn't do that if if didn't wander up and down the
>>> aisles.

>> I don't understand how people who like to cook (and eat) don't like
>> grocery shopping.
>>

> (snippage)
>
> Grocery shopping is a chore. Sort of like mopping the kitchen floor. I
> do it but I don't enjoy it. I enjoy cooking (and eating), but driving 20
> miles (one way) to buy food isn't my idea of fun. So I make a list and
> shop pretty much shop once a month. Sure, I'll go to pick up milk, eggs
> or bread at the dollar store the which is only 6 miles away. Other than
> that, I make a list and fill the freezer and pantry from Pubix. Sometimes
> I go to the meat market on Lady's Island and the vegetable stand on Friday
> or Saturday. But I really don't like shopping.

I don't mind grocery shopping for the most part. When we shopped at the
military commissary it could be a pain. We only went there maybe twice a
month so invariably I had two carts full of stuff. Also my husband would be
there and he was always tossing things I didn't know about in the cart.
Because the store was so far away we usually had to bring along cold packs
and make sure that all of the perishables were put separately. Then there
was so much stuff it would take a long time to put away! And I would have
to pick up something that was ready to eat because we'd always get home
right at dinner time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> My approach varies. Some stores seem to invite more wandering than
> others. I especially like looking at the ethnic offerings. If I am doing
> so in an Asian store, especially, there is always something interesting
> that catches my eye. I have to remember to do this shop crawling when I
> am with my friend who also likes to do that. My daughter acts like she is
> being tortured.
>
> Oh, and new stores are also fun.
>
> OTOH, I detest clothes shopping. They could at least have left jeans
> alone....

Me too! Jeans are bad to shop for and bras can be really bad too. I
actually have better luck with these things by shopping online at stores
that give really good descriptions, measurements and have a size chart
listed. Once in a while something won't fit me right or be flattering but I
save a TON of time by shopping this way.

I try to stay out of the clothing departments in stores. Once in a while I
will venture by one, see something I like, only to find out that they do not
have it in my size or the color that I want.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> My approach varies. Some stores seem to invite more wandering than
>> others. I especially like looking at the ethnic offerings. If I am doing
>> so in an Asian store, especially, there is always something interesting
>> that catches my eye. I have to remember to do this shop crawling when I
>> am with my friend who also likes to do that. My daughter acts like she is
>> being tortured.
>>
>> Oh, and new stores are also fun.
>>
>> OTOH, I detest clothes shopping. They could at least have left jeans
>> alone....

> Me too! Jeans are bad to shop for and bras can be really bad too. I
> actually have better luck with these things by shopping online at stores
> that give really good descriptions, measurements and have a size chart
> listed. Once in a while something won't fit me right or be flattering but I
> save a TON of time by shopping this way.
>
> I try to stay out of the clothing departments in stores. Once in a while I
> will venture by one, see something I like, only to find out that they do not
> have it in my size or the color that I want.

I was going to mention bras. Now that is one miserable shopping
trip. WHY is it that if you find a bra you can stand, it is
discontinued, so you have to go through the arduous process of
finding a new one every time you are in dire need? And do the
stores REALLY expect me to totally disrobe my top half, try on the
few I am allowed, and then get dressed again to go get a few more?
I usually stick to the rules, but in this case, I will take in
as many bras as I can. And chances are, I still won't find one
that fits.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16/05/2012 9:00 PM, Cheryl wrote:

> I love grocery shopping but it's ever increasingly hard to do. So, I do
> get home delivery for my major shopping trip. It's easy to stick to a
> list and not impulse buy. And because delivery is usually at least a day
> away, I have time to add things I've forgotten.

My late brother in law, an engineer, was so anal that he not only had a
list and maps of the stores, but the maps were almost to scale and his
shopping list ordered by item location.
I rarely use a list.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Since grocery shopping here is a major event, I've enjoyed learning here
that milk does just fine if frozen. What a help that has been. Now. Tell
me any great tricks you've learned on keeping fruit. All of the healthy
heart 'experts' want me to eat lots of it but it's so expensive and spoils
so quickly. I do okay with bananas and oranges. Any help with the others?
Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16/05/2012 10:51 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
> Since grocery shopping here is a major event, I've enjoyed learning here
> that milk does just fine if frozen.

Most of the time it does work out well. I had a bad experience with it
about a month ago. We had a communication problem and we each bought a 4
litre bag of milk, which is about a one month supply for us. Each four
litre back has three 1.3 litre bags, so they got thrown into the freezer
together but were taken out and thawed as needed. The first two were
fine. The third one was curdled.... not sour but water liquid and globs
of solids.

What a help that has been. Now. Tell
> me any great tricks you've learned on keeping fruit. All of the healthy
> heart 'experts' want me to eat lots of it but it's so expensive and
> spoils so quickly. I do okay with bananas and oranges. Any help with the
> others? Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 5/16/2012 5:02 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I hate grocery shopping. (If I could, I'd have groceries delivered to
>> my house.) But I do traverse each aisle, mostly because they keep
>> moving things around. If I don't look all over the store I might miss
>> or forget something. I shop from a list but I do occasionally make an
>> impulse purchase. I couldn't do that if if didn't wander up and down
>> the aisles.

> I love grocery shopping but it's ever increasingly hard to do. So, I do
> get home delivery for my major shopping trip. It's easy to stick to a list
> and not impulse buy. And because delivery is usually at least a day away,
> I have time to add things I've forgotten.

I got delivery once when I was snowed in. That store soon after quit
delivering in inclement weather and now doesn't deliver at all. The biggest
pain was the my computer was very slow at the time. I have since added RAM.
Not sure if that would help or not. But it took hours to place a small
order. Then they were out of something I had ordered and subbed in a
product that I do not like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
. com...
> On 16/05/2012 9:00 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>
>> I love grocery shopping but it's ever increasingly hard to do. So, I do
>> get home delivery for my major shopping trip. It's easy to stick to a
>> list and not impulse buy. And because delivery is usually at least a day
>> away, I have time to add things I've forgotten.
>>

> My late brother in law, an engineer, was so anal that he not only had a
> list and maps of the stores, but the maps were almost to scale and his
> shopping list ordered by item location.
> I rarely use a list.

I mainly use a list for things I wouldn't normally buy. Like the birthday
things I need for this weekend. Or things that a particular store has on
sale for a very good price so I don't forget to buy it. Our diet currently
has enough sameness to it that we eat the same few meals over and over
again, just switching them out every now and again. So I really don't need
a list to buy those things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>>> My approach varies. Some stores seem to invite more wandering than
>>> others. I especially like looking at the ethnic offerings. If I am
>>> doing so in an Asian store, especially, there is always something
>>> interesting that catches my eye. I have to remember to do this shop
>>> crawling when I am with my friend who also likes to do that. My
>>> daughter acts like she is being tortured.
>>>
>>> Oh, and new stores are also fun.
>>>
>>> OTOH, I detest clothes shopping. They could at least have left jeans
>>> alone....

>> Me too! Jeans are bad to shop for and bras can be really bad too. I
>> actually have better luck with these things by shopping online at stores
>> that give really good descriptions, measurements and have a size chart
>> listed. Once in a while something won't fit me right or be flattering
>> but I save a TON of time by shopping this way.
>>
>> I try to stay out of the clothing departments in stores. Once in a while
>> I will venture by one, see something I like, only to find out that they
>> do not have it in my size or the color that I want.

> I was going to mention bras. Now that is one miserable shopping trip.
> WHY is it that if you find a bra you can stand, it is discontinued, so you
> have to go through the arduous process of finding a new one every time you
> are in dire need? And do the stores REALLY expect me to totally disrobe
> my top half, try on the few I am allowed, and then get dressed again to go
> get a few more? I usually stick to the rules, but in this case, I will
> take in as many bras as I can. And chances are, I still won't find one
> that fits.

Either that or they cheapen the bras! I wore Bali bras for years and would
just mail order them.

After we moved back here, I went to the movies with my parents and all of a
sudden I had a letdown feeling!

I dashed into the restroom only to discover that the ring holding my strap
on was now made of thin, cheap plastic and it had broken! I managed to put
it temporarily back in place and sat very still through the movie.

We had other places to go after that so I really needed a bra. There was a
J.C. Penny store near there. I don't normally shop at that store but I
figured it was my best shot for a cheap bra, figuring that whatever I got
wouldn't be something I liked but would get me through that one day.

Luckily the bra that I bought did fit and I was amazed to see that it was
high quality. So I bought some more online when I got home.

The thing that really got me was the nasty comment that my dad made. I
can't remember his exact words but something about why didn't I buy a good
bra? Why was I wearing a cheap one that broke? The bra wasn't cheap (IMO).
Not expensive like a Wacoal but it wasn't a Best Form either! And I had
only had it for a few months.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> Since grocery shopping here is a major event, I've enjoyed learning here
> that milk does just fine if frozen. What a help that has been. Now. Tell
> me any great tricks you've learned on keeping fruit. All of the healthy
> heart 'experts' want me to eat lots of it but it's so expensive and spoils
> so quickly. I do okay with bananas and oranges. Any help with the
> others? Polly

What about canned or frozen? It keeps. I don't buy a lot of fresh fruit
because people normally won't eat it. My husband will go on a fruit kick
once in a while and daughter is currently to eat 3 servings a day on the
diet she is on. But normally very little gets eaten.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 16, 9:30*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> MY method, Bub:
>
> I have my own aisle guide for stuff I buy all the time. I give it as a
> welcome gift to newcomers to the area too.
>
> I keep a list on the fridge next to my shopping list of stuff to
> review e.g. garlic, milk. * These are things I don't want to run out
> of the day after I shop.
>
> I stick to my list, I don't look for specials, I park as far away from
> the other cars for a quick getaway and fender-bender avoidance. *I try
> to make the grocery shopping experience as quick and efficient as
> possible.
>
> I am ready to whip my payt. card thru the scanner *as the guy is
> ringing up my stuff, so no one yells at me for change-fumbling or,
> heaven forbid, check writing.. *I even help bag my stuff, so the surly
> teen bagger has a slightly better attitude and I can get the cold
> stuff in one bag.

I'm not sure who you're talking to, but you just described me to
a tee. I'm a thorough guy when I want to be. I'm the guy everyone
thinks is nuts because I scan overpasses for snipers or mischievous
youths ready to drop bowling balls on passing cars. But when it
happens and I see it in time and yell "Watch Out!" and everyone
swerves to avoid being blown to bits or squashed by a falling bowling
ball - when it happens, what do I get? Nothing. No appreciation.
Without thorough people bordering on anal or beyond this world would
crumble in disarray.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/16/2012 6:59 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Jean > wrote
>> I always pay cash. And if there is time, I have my money out. If there
>> is even more time, I sort some change or calculate the sales tax and
>> whether I want quarters back.

> I almost always pay cash. Once in a while the ATM machine will not be
> working or it's an emergency purchase and I have to use my card. Otherwise
> I get the cash ready, including any change I might need. I am pretty good
> at figuring the total so can have about the right amount of cash ready to
> pay.

I'm pretty good at figuring out how much the grocery bill is going to
run before I get to the checkout, but when I offer cash for payment the
checkout girl/guy looks at me like I've got two heads. Just the other
day I though one of them was going to call the manager on me because she
couldn't get the correct change counted out and was getting all kinds of
twisty about it. It's at times like those that the self-checkout lane
has its advantages (it constantly yells at me to "Please take my items"
while I count my change, double check my receipt and put my wallet away,
but at least it doesn't throw canned goods on top of the bread out of spite)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/17/2012 12:24 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 16 May 2012 22:06:57 -0600, Pennyaline wrote:
>
>> I'm pretty good at figuring out how much the grocery bill is going to
>> run before I get to the checkout, but when I offer cash for payment the
>> checkout girl/guy looks at me like I've got two heads.

> Maybe it's just a bad hair day? Plenty of people still pay with cash
> enough that it shouldn't phase any cashier when you choose to do so.
> And especially not as often as you imply.

And yet it does effect the kids around here that'away. The older
checkstand personnel, no. The kids, yes. And it's kids that make up the
majority of store/supermarket employees.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 16, 8:30*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> MY method, Bub:
>
> I have my own aisle guide for stuff I buy all the time. I give it as a
> welcome gift to newcomers to the area too.
>
> I keep a list on the fridge next to my shopping list of stuff to
> review e.g. garlic, milk. * These are things I don't want to run out
> of the day after I shop.
>
> I stick to my list, I don't look for specials, I park as far away from
> the other cars for a quick getaway and fender-bender avoidance. *I try
> to make the grocery shopping experience as quick and efficient as
> possible.
>
> I am ready to whip my payt. card thru the scanner *as the guy is
> ringing up my stuff, so no one yells at me for change-fumbling or,
> heaven forbid, check writing.. *I even help bag my stuff, so the surly
> teen bagger has a slightly better attitude and I can get the cold
> stuff in one bag.

IMO, aisle lists aren't much good unless they can be changed every
week - the stores are always moving stuff around.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 17, 8:10*am, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On May 16, 8:30*am, Kalmia > wrote:
>

> > MY method, Bub:

> > I have my own aisle guide for stuff I buy all the time. I give it as a
> > welcome gift to newcomers to the area too.

> > I keep a list on the fridge next to my shopping list of stuff to
> > review e.g. garlic, milk. * These are things I don't want to run out
> > of the day after I shop.

> > I stick to my list, I don't look for specials, I park as far away from
> > the other cars for a quick getaway and fender-bender avoidance. *I try
> > to make the grocery shopping experience as quick and efficient as
> > possible.

> > I am ready to whip my payt. card thru the scanner *as the guy is
> > ringing up my stuff, so no one yells at me for change-fumbling or,
> > heaven forbid, check writing.. *I even help bag my stuff, so the surly
> > teen bagger has a slightly better attitude and I can get the cold
> > stuff in one bag.

> IMO, aisle lists aren't much good unless they can be changed every
> week - the stores are always moving stuff around.

This is certainly true of Trader Joe's, but regular stores where I
live seldom shift product locations -- one finally did after I've
shopped there five years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in
:

> Since grocery shopping here is a major event, I've enjoyed learning
> here that milk does just fine if frozen. What a help that has been.
> Now. Tell me any great tricks you've learned on keeping fruit. All
> of the healthy heart 'experts' want me to eat lots of it but it's so
> expensive and spoils so quickly. I do okay with bananas and oranges.
> Any help with the others? Polly

The oranges I've been getting have thick skins. I did some weighing and
the removed skins weigh almost half the complete orage. At about $1 a
pound for oranges that's too much for peelings. Instead I've been buyiong
seedless grapes recently. Very little waste and they keep well for me in
the refrigerator. I gave up on bananas long ago - too many have nice
clear skins but still have large brown areas when peeled, which I won't
eat.

Still looking for the ideal reasonably-priced fruit. Apples and such are
out - can't eat them with my dentures.

--
"Experience is something you don't get until
just after you need it." Steven Wright

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 16, 11:53*pm, Tommy Joe > wrote:
> On May 16, 9:30*am, Kalmia > wrote:
>

> > MY method, Bub:

> > I have my own aisle guide for stuff I buy all the time. I give it as a
> > welcome gift to newcomers to the area too.

> > I keep a list on the fridge next to my shopping list of stuff to
> > review e.g. garlic, milk. * These are things I don't want to run out
> > of the day after I shop.

> > I stick to my list, I don't look for specials, I park as far away from
> > the other cars for a quick getaway and fender-bender avoidance. *I try
> > to make the grocery shopping experience as quick and efficient as
> > possible.

> > I am ready to whip my payt. card thru the scanner *as the guy is
> > ringing up my stuff, so no one yells at me for change-fumbling or,
> > heaven forbid, check writing.. *I even help bag my stuff, so the surly
> > teen bagger has a slightly better attitude and I can get the cold
> > stuff in one bag.

> * * *I'm not sure who you're talking to, but you just described me to
> a tee. *I'm a thorough guy when I want to be. *I'm the guy everyone
> thinks is nuts because I scan overpasses for snipers or mischievous
> youths ready to drop bowling balls on passing cars. *But when it
> happens and I see it in time and yell "Watch Out!" and everyone
> swerves to avoid being blown to bits or squashed by a falling bowling
> ball - when it happens, what do I get? *Nothing. *No appreciation.
> Without thorough people bordering on anal or beyond this world would
> crumble in disarray.
>
> TJ

Sorry, dude, I'm taken, and prob. in your grandmother's age group.
We'd drive each other nuts too, trying to over-anal-ize everything.

This morning I just HAD to spend ten minutes changing the title I'd
made for the spine of a binder---all to add ONE WORD. I'd cut the
paper too short, so cudn't access it thru the push-hole. Finally, I
stretched out a paperclip and managed to shove the paper out, then the
clip was stuck and so on. But at least i can sleep tonight...... : ))
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 17, 11:10*am, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On May 16, 8:30*am, Kalmia > wrote:
>

> > MY method, Bub:

> > I have my own aisle guide for stuff I buy all the time. I give it as a
> > welcome gift to newcomers to the area too.

> > I keep a list on the fridge next to my shopping list of stuff to
> > review e.g. garlic, milk. * These are things I don't want to run out
> > of the day after I shop.

> > I stick to my list, I don't look for specials, I park as far away from
> > the other cars for a quick getaway and fender-bender avoidance. *I try
> > to make the grocery shopping experience as quick and efficient as
> > possible.

> > I am ready to whip my payt. card thru the scanner *as the guy is
> > ringing up my stuff, so no one yells at me for change-fumbling or,
> > heaven forbid, check writing.. *I even help bag my stuff, so the surly
> > teen bagger has a slightly better attitude and I can get the cold
> > stuff in one bag.

> IMO, aisle lists aren't much good unless they can be changed every
> week - the stores are always moving stuff around.
>
> N.

Actually, I've been on the same guide for years. Smart store
management, I guess.