Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Default Cotton Candy :-)

How long has it been for you? I went to the circus last week and for $5
I relished eating cotton candy on a paper cone. Haven't had it for
40yrs. It was as delicious as I remember.

I received a fair share of dirty looks from parents who wouldnt spend
that much money whose children saw me relishing mine and began to whine.
$5 is awfully steep-sheesh it was $16 just to walk thru the gate. (I had
the opportunity to get up close and personal with a tiger in his
restrictive tiny cage 6feet away from me trying to get out of his cage
silently...wow!)

So it brings me to this question-have you ever made cotton candy (do
tell) and while I know they sell an appliance for it, is it possible to
make it stovetop?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"z z" > wrote in message
> How long has it been for you? I went to the circus last week and for $5
> I relished eating cotton candy on a paper cone. Haven't had it for
> 40yrs. It was as delicious as I remember.
>
> I received a fair share of dirty looks from parents who wouldnt spend
> that much money whose children saw me relishing mine and began to whine.
> $5 is awfully steep-sheesh it was $16 just to walk thru the gate. (I had
> the opportunity to get up close and personal with a tiger in his
> restrictive tiny cage 6feet away from me trying to get out of his cage
> silently...wow!)
>
> So it brings me to this question-have you ever made cotton candy (do
> tell) and while I know they sell an appliance for it, is it possible to
> make it stovetop?

I've never made it and never wanted to.

You can't make it on the stove because you need the device to spin the hot
sugar. Some of the devices they sell (particularly for kids) simply do not
work as they claim they do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"z z" > wrote in message
> How long has it been for you? I went to the circus last week and for $5
> I relished eating cotton candy on a paper cone. Haven't had it for
> 40yrs. It was as delicious as I remember.

I think, deep down, everybody loves the circus.

> I received a fair share of dirty looks from parents who wouldnt spend
> that much money whose children saw me relishing mine and began to whine.
> $5 is awfully steep-sheesh it was $16 just to walk thru the gate. (I had
> the opportunity to get up close and personal with a tiger in his
> restrictive tiny cage 6feet away from me trying to get out of his cage
> silently...wow!)

I used to relish cotton candy. My friends don't. Maybe it's time to find
some new friends.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher M." > wrote in message
> "z z" > wrote in message
>> How long has it been for you? I went to the circus last week and for $5
>> I relished eating cotton candy on a paper cone. Haven't had it for
>> 40yrs. It was as delicious as I remember.

> I think, deep down, everybody loves the circus.
>
>> I received a fair share of dirty looks from parents who wouldnt spend
>> that much money whose children saw me relishing mine and began to whine.
>> $5 is awfully steep-sheesh it was $16 just to walk thru the gate. (I had
>> the opportunity to get up close and personal with a tiger in his
>> restrictive tiny cage 6feet away from me trying to get out of his cage
>> silently...wow!)

The idea sounds great to me. I usually do something unexpected at
Christmas. Is there possibly a cotton candy device that really works at
home? Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 5/14/2012 8:41 PM, z z wrote:
> How long has it been for you? I went to the circus last week and for $5
> I relished eating cotton candy on a paper cone. Haven't had it for
> 40yrs. It was as delicious as I remember.
>
> I received a fair share of dirty looks from parents who wouldnt spend
> that much money whose children saw me relishing mine and began to whine.
> $5 is awfully steep-sheesh it was $16 just to walk thru the gate. (I had
> the opportunity to get up close and personal with a tiger in his
> restrictive tiny cage 6feet away from me trying to get out of his cage
> silently...wow!)
>
> So it brings me to this question-have you ever made cotton candy (do
> tell) and while I know they sell an appliance for it, is it possible to
> make it stovetop?

It's been many years since I've had any cotton candy Some years ago,
I watched a show that included a 'spot' about "floating cotton candy"!
It sure was an interesting concept! Picture/imagine cotton candy made
somehow with a little bit of helium to make the 'bundles' of cotton
candy float up and away! IIRC, the 'recipe' may have incorporated
glycerin somehow to help create the 'tension' needed for the sugar
bubbles (?) to hold the helium to make the cotton candy float (?).

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher M." > wrote in message
> "z z" > wrote in message
>> How long has it been for you? I went to the circus last week and for $5
>> I relished eating cotton candy on a paper cone. Haven't had it for
>> 40yrs. It was as delicious as I remember.

> I think, deep down, everybody loves the circus.

I do not. Not since I learned in school how they abuse the animals in it.
Of course I don't know if all of the animals are abused but now I just don't
want to watch.

>> I received a fair share of dirty looks from parents who wouldnt spend
>> that much money whose children saw me relishing mine and began to whine.
>> $5 is awfully steep-sheesh it was $16 just to walk thru the gate. (I had
>> the opportunity to get up close and personal with a tiger in his
>> restrictive tiny cage 6feet away from me trying to get out of his cage
>> silently...wow!)

> I used to relish cotton candy. My friends don't. Maybe it's time to find
> some new friends.

I never liked the stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 May 2012 20:41:21 -0500, (z z) wrote:

>How long has it been for you? I went to the circus last week and for $5
>I relished eating cotton candy on a paper cone. Haven't had it for
>40yrs. It was as delicious as I remember.
>
>I received a fair share of dirty looks from parents who wouldnt spend
>that much money whose children saw me relishing mine and began to whine.
>$5 is awfully steep-sheesh it was $16 just to walk thru the gate. (I had
>the opportunity to get up close and personal with a tiger in his
>restrictive tiny cage 6feet away from me trying to get out of his cage
>silently...wow!)
>
>So it brings me to this question-have you ever made cotton candy (do
>tell) and while I know they sell an appliance for it, is it possible to
>make it stovetop?

My first cooking experiment was *trying* to make cotton candy. . with
*Genuine* *sterilized* cotton. [anything sterilized can't hurt you,
right? -- and genuine=good]

Tom and I were 6 or 7. Neither of our parents would buy us the
1/2dollar cotton candy at the fair. We saw the bag of cotton
balls in his mom's cupboard and figured 'what the heck'.

All we knew about the process was that it involved sugar and spinning.
we added the water because nothing seemed to be happening.

If you want to try this at home, all we can say is that a pound or 2
of sugar, a bag of cotton balls, water enough to make a slurry-- and
beating with a handheld mixer on high until the mixer dies *won't*
give you cotton candy. It doesn't taste all that bad, but is
difficult to chew-- and too much will give you a belly-ache.

The bellyache faded in comparison to the ass-whupping we both got.

Ahh-- but the memories.<g> I have a bit of cotton candy every
decade or so just to bring me back to that day.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

(z z) wrote:

> >How long has it been for you? I went to the circus last week and for $5
> >I relished eating cotton candy on a paper cone. Haven't had it for
> >40yrs. It was as delicious as I remember.
> >
> >I received a fair share of dirty looks from parents who wouldnt spend
> >that much money whose children saw me relishing mine and began to whine.
> >$5 is awfully steep-sheesh it was $16 just to walk thru the gate. (I had
> >the opportunity to get up close and personal with a tiger in his
> >restrictive tiny cage 6feet away from me trying to get out of his cage
> >silently...wow!)
> >
> >So it brings me to this question-have you ever made cotton candy (do
> >tell) and while I know they sell an appliance for it, is it possible to
> >make it stovetop?

> My first cooking experiment was *trying* to make cotton candy. . with
> *Genuine* *sterilized* cotton. [anything sterilized can't hurt you,
> right? -- and genuine=good]
>
> Tom and I were 6 or 7. Neither of our parents would buy us the
> 1/2dollar cotton candy at the fair. We saw the bag of cotton
> balls in his mom's cupboard and figured 'what the heck'.
>
> All we knew about the process was that it involved sugar and spinning.
> we added the water because nothing seemed to be happening.
>
> If you want to try this at home, all we can say is that a pound or 2
> of sugar, a bag of cotton balls, water enough to make a slurry-- and
> beating with a handheld mixer on high until the mixer dies *won't*
> give you cotton candy. It doesn't taste all that bad, but is
> difficult to chew-- and too much will give you a belly-ache.
>
> The bellyache faded in comparison to the ass-whupping we both got.

LOL. I didn't know my family has relatives over there.
My childrens' nursery encouraged infants to cook from scratch and the
eldest in particular had some terrible culinary inspirations.
Unfortunately for his hungry brothers most of them were technically
edible... eggs fried in the sun direct on the car bonnet; midget fish
caught in the river, post mortemed on the garden table and baked (or not)
in the heat of the compost heap. It was a relief when they got old enough
to light campfires, at least the food was sterilised by heat...

Janet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 14, 9:41*pm, (z z) wrote:
> How long has it been for you? I went to the circus last week and for $5
> I relished eating cotton candy on a paper cone. Haven't had it for
> 40yrs. It was as delicious as I remember.

It's been at least 40 years. I was never really thrilled with it, and
have had it only maybe 3 times.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 15, 12:34*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Christopher M." > wrote in message

> > "z z" > wrote in message
> >> How long has it been for you? I went to the circus last week and for $5
> >> I relished eating cotton candy on a paper cone. Haven't had it for
> >> 40yrs. It was as delicious as I remember.

> > I think, deep down, everybody loves the circus.

> I do not. *Not since I learned in school how they abuse the animals in it.
> Of course I don't know if all of the animals are abused but now I just don't
> want to watch.

At a large farmers market that I visited way up yonder to the north,
they had ponies for the kids to ride. The critters looked so beaten;
kept their heads down etc. I've seen seeing eye dogs that have lost
the spark as well.

> >> I received a fair share of dirty looks from parents who wouldnt spend
> >> that much money whose children saw me relishing mine and began to whine.
> >> $5 is awfully steep-sheesh it was $16 just to walk thru the gate. (I had
> >> the opportunity to get up close and personal with a tiger in his
> >> restrictive tiny cage 6feet away from me trying to get out of his cage
> >> silently...wow!)

> > I used to relish cotton candy. My friends don't. Maybe it's time to find
> > some new friends.

> I never liked the stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 15, 9:15*am, Janet > wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>

> > On Mon, 14 May 2012 20:41:21 -0500, (z z) wrote:

> > >How long has it been for you? I went to the circus last week and for $5
> > >I relished eating cotton candy on a paper cone. Haven't had it for
> > >40yrs. It was as delicious as I remember.

> > >I received a fair share of dirty looks from parents who wouldnt spend
> > >that much money whose children saw me relishing mine and began to whine.
> > >$5 is awfully steep-sheesh it was $16 just to walk thru the gate. (I had
> > >the opportunity to get up close and personal with a tiger in his
> > >restrictive tiny cage 6feet away from me trying to get out of his cage
> > >silently...wow!)

> > >So it brings me to this question-have you ever made cotton candy (do
> > >tell) and while I know they sell an appliance for it, is it possible to
> > >make it stovetop?

> > My first cooking experiment was *trying* to make cotton candy. . *with
> > *Genuine* *sterilized* cotton. * [anything sterilized can't hurt you,
> > right? -- and genuine=good]

> > Tom and I were 6 or 7. * * Neither of our parents would buy us the
> > 1/2dollar cotton candy at the fair. * * *We saw the bag of cotton
> > balls in his mom's cupboard and figured 'what the heck'.

> > All we knew about the process was that it involved sugar and spinning.
> > we added the water because nothing seemed to be happening.

> > If you want to try this at home, all we can say is that a pound or 2
> > of sugar, a bag of cotton balls, water enough to make a slurry-- and
> > beating with a handheld mixer on high until the mixer dies *won't*
> > give you cotton candy. * * It doesn't taste all that bad, but is
> > difficult to chew-- and too much will give you a belly-ache.

> > The bellyache faded in comparison to the ass-whupping we both got.

> *LOL. I didn't know my family has relatives over there.
> * My childrens' nursery encouraged infants to cook from scratch and the
> eldest in particular had some terrible culinary inspirations.
> Unfortunately for his hungry brothers most of them were technically
> edible... eggs fried in the sun direct on the car bonnet; *midget fish
> caught in the river, post mortemed on the garden table and baked (or not)
> in the heat of the compost heap. It was a relief when they got old enough
> to light campfires, at least the food was sterilised by heat...
>
> * Janet.

The first thing I learned to cook, or maybe I should say the first two
things we
inside round steak fried in butter, and Kraft Mac N' Cheese.
I learned to scramble eggs somewhere along that time. Get the butter
good and hot but not brown.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14/05/2012 9:41 PM, z z wrote:
> How long has it been for you? I went to the circus last week and for $5
> I relished eating cotton candy on a paper cone. Haven't had it for
> 40yrs. It was as delicious as I remember.
>
> I received a fair share of dirty looks from parents who wouldnt spend
> that much money whose children saw me relishing mine and began to whine.
> $5 is awfully steep-sheesh it was $16 just to walk thru the gate. (I had
> the opportunity to get up close and personal with a tiger in his
> restrictive tiny cage 6feet away from me trying to get out of his cage
> silently...wow!)
>
> So it brings me to this question-have you ever made cotton candy (do
> tell) and while I know they sell an appliance for it, is it possible to
> make it stovetop?

My memory must be different from yours. I remember eating it as a kid
and then feeling horrible. As a mater of fact, just last night my son
was talking about making smors at a friend's place and I said that I
never eat roasted marshmallows because one leads to another and by the
time I have a third I wish I had not had any... and then I mentioned
cotton candy being at the top of the list of things never to eat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/14/2012 9:41 PM, z z wrote:
> How long has it been for you? I went to the circus last week and for $5
> I relished eating cotton candy on a paper cone. Haven't had it for
> 40yrs. It was as delicious as I remember.

Not that I had it very often, but when I was a kid they spun
the cotton candy to order.

Now when I see it, it's a wad of crushed pre-made blue or pink in
a plastic bag, not at all appetizing.

I guess little kids wouldn't know the difference.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> My first cooking experiment was *trying* to make cotton candy. . with
> *Genuine* *sterilized* cotton. [anything sterilized can't hurt you,
> right? -- and genuine=good]
>
> If you want to try this at home, all we can say is that a pound or 2
> of sugar, a bag of cotton balls, water enough to make a slurry-- and
> beating with a handheld mixer on high until the mixer dies *won't*
> give you cotton candy. It doesn't taste all that bad, but is
> difficult to chew-- and too much will give you a belly-ache.
>
> The bellyache faded in comparison to the ass-whupping we both got.
>
> Ahh-- but the memories.<g> I have a bit of cotton candy every
> decade or so just to bring me back to that day.
>
> Jim

LOL! Great story!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:

> I learned to scramble eggs somewhere along that time. Get the butter
> good and hot but not brown.

Actually I do get my butter brown before cooking eggs, scrambled or fried.
You've got to have your eggs ready though because once it starts to brown,
it can quickly burn.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Tue, 15 May 2012 07:39:30 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>
> > My first cooking experiment was *trying* to make cotton candy. . with
> > *Genuine* *sterilized* cotton. [anything sterilized can't hurt you,
> > right? -- and genuine=good]

> I guess my first cooking experiment was mixing up a batch of
> "marijuana" to sell to the dim-witted kid down the street. Mom came
> home while we were mixing up all her leafy spices and I had to do a
> quick, half-assed cleanup. She still saw it, and said "Get all this
> marijuana off the counter!". Hah! We sure fooled her, at least!
>
> We ending up selling that kid broken up apple tree leaves.
>
> -sw

Way back then (1972 or so)I made authentic chicken pot pie once. I was
going to a party later but needed to eat something first. I had heard that
you can get high from eating pot but only if you cook it. So I took a
Banquet chicken pot pie and put it in the oven (no microwaves then). I baked
it for about 15 minutes, then cut a quarter sized plug out of the middle. I
filled that hole with pot then put the crust piece back on top and continued
cooking until it was done.

Once done, I stirred it all up and that was dinner. Don't know if the pot
in it got me high or not as soon after, I was at the party drinking and
smoking weed.

Disclaimer: I never inhaled though.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 15, 8:54*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Mon, 14 May 2012 20:41:21 -0500, (z z) wrote:
> >How long has it been for you? I went to the circus last week and for $5
> >I relished eating cotton candy on a paper cone. Haven't had it for
> >40yrs. It was as delicious as I remember.

> I remember cotton candy! And the purveyor taking one of those thin
> cardboard cone things and spinning it around the periphey of the sugar
> spinner, gathering up the cotton candy onto the cone and then handing
> it to me! Ahhhh, bliss! One of the best ways to eat sugar! Better if
> it's lightly flavored sugar too! YUM!!
>
> I can't imagine getting a machine to make it at home. Seems kind of an
> industrial preocess if done right.
>
> John Kuthe...

Nah, they have them on the cooking competition shows sometimes - like
Iron Chef. It's just a big metal round container with an interior
gizmo that spins sugar into "cotton" threads or such. Anyway, it
doesn't need to be industrial. I think you can rent them from the
party rental places.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 14, 11:13*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> "Christopher M." > wrote in message
>
> ...> "z z" > wrote in message
> >> How long has it been for you? I went to the circus last week and for $5
> >> I relished eating cotton candy on a paper cone. Haven't had it for
> >> 40yrs. It was as delicious as I remember.

> > I think, deep down, everybody loves the circus.

> >> I received a fair share of dirty looks from parents who wouldnt spend
> >> that much money whose children saw me relishing mine and began to whine.
> >> $5 is awfully steep-sheesh it was $16 just to walk thru the gate. (I had
> >> the opportunity to get up close and personal with a tiger in his
> >> restrictive tiny cage 6feet away from me trying to get out of his cage
> >> silently...wow!)

> The idea sounds great to me. *I usually do something unexpected at
> Christmas. Is there possibly a cotton candy device that really works at
> home? *Polly

Check out your nearest party-rental store - around here, you can rent
the machines. They're big, but manageable.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 14, 8:41*pm, (z z) wrote:
> How long has it been for you? I went to the circus last week and for $5
> I relished eating cotton candy on a paper cone. Haven't had it for
> 40yrs. It was as delicious as I remember.
>
> I received a fair share of dirty looks from parents who wouldnt spend
> that much money whose children saw me relishing mine and began to whine.
> $5 is awfully steep-sheesh it was $16 just to walk thru the gate. (I had
> the opportunity to get up close and personal with a tiger in his
> restrictive tiny cage 6feet away from me trying to get out of his cage
> silently...wow!)
>
> So it brings me to this question-have you ever made cotton candy (do
> tell) and while I know they sell an appliance for it, is it possible to
> make it stovetop?

You can't make it stove top, but you can rent the machine.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 May 2012 11:37:11 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>On May 14, 8:41*pm, (z z) wrote:
>> How long has it been for you? I went to the circus last week and for $5
>> I relished eating cotton candy on a paper cone. Haven't had it for
>> 40yrs. It was as delicious as I remember.
>>
>> I received a fair share of dirty looks from parents who wouldnt spend
>> that much money whose children saw me relishing mine and began to whine.
>> $5 is awfully steep-sheesh it was $16 just to walk thru the gate. (I had
>> the opportunity to get up close and personal with a tiger in his
>> restrictive tiny cage 6feet away from me trying to get out of his cage
>> silently...wow!)
>>
>> So it brings me to this question-have you ever made cotton candy (do
>> tell) and while I know they sell an appliance for it, is it possible to
>> make it stovetop?

>You can't make it stove top, but you can rent the machine.

Well. . . you *can*, but it isn't worth it. Just think fine
croquembouche.

Somebody *has* to have done it on youtube.

Wow- I googled the machine instead. you can get a countertop
machine for $30.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 15, 12:13*am, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> "Christopher M." > wrote in message
>
> ...> "z z" > wrote in message
> >> How long has it been for you? I went to the circus last week and for $5
> >> I relished eating cotton candy on a paper cone. Haven't had it for
> >> 40yrs. It was as delicious as I remember.

> > I think, deep down, everybody loves the circus.

> >> I received a fair share of dirty looks from parents who wouldnt spend
> >> that much money whose children saw me relishing mine and began to whine.
> >> $5 is awfully steep-sheesh it was $16 just to walk thru the gate. (I had
> >> the opportunity to get up close and personal with a tiger in his
> >> restrictive tiny cage 6feet away from me trying to get out of his cage
> >> silently...wow!)

> The idea sounds great to me. *I usually do something unexpected at
> Christmas. Is there possibly a cotton candy device that really works at
> home? *Polly

Polly, you can rent a cotton candy machine at party stores. We rented
one for a church fair once and it worked well. Well, until we noticed
spun sugar stuck all over the white wall of the Sunday School
classroom. Luckily it washed off fairly easily.

Denise in NH
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> > I learned to scramble eggs somewhere along that time. Get the butter
> > good and hot but not brown.

> Actually I do get my butter brown before cooking eggs, scrambled or fried.
> You've got to have your eggs ready though because once it starts to brown,
> it can quickly burn.

I like the flavor of browned butter too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 May 2012 15:03:27 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
>Wow- I googled the machine instead. you can get a countertop
>machine for $30.
>
>Jim

Somehow I can't imagine wanting to make so much cotton candy for my
personal consumption that I'd rent a machine to make it though. Maybe
for a kid's party, or even an adult's perhaps! But not just for me.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> On Tue, 15 May 2012 15:03:27 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
> >Wow- I googled the machine instead. you can get a countertop
> >machine for $30.
> >
> >Jim

> Somehow I can't imagine wanting to make so much cotton candy for my
> personal consumption that I'd rent a machine to make it though. Maybe
> for a kid's party, or even an adult's perhaps! But not just for me.
>
> John Kuthe...

Just when I thought this was the anti-carb ng, ppl are talking about buying
machines to make cotton candy. WTH?

Gary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 May 2012 17:30:43 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>John Kuthe wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 15 May 2012 15:03:27 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
>> wrote:
>> >Wow- I googled the machine instead. you can get a countertop
>> >machine for $30.
>> >
>> >Jim

>> Somehow I can't imagine wanting to make so much cotton candy for my
>> personal consumption that I'd rent a machine to make it though. Maybe
>> for a kid's party, or even an adult's perhaps! But not just for me.
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>Just when I thought this was the anti-carb ng, ppl are talking about buying
>machines to make cotton candy. WTH?
>
>Gary

I'm not anti-carb! I love my carbs, in moderation. Bryan is the
anti-carb nazi! ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> On Mon, 14 May 2012 20:41:21 -0500, (z z) wrote:
>
>> How long has it been for you? I went to the circus last week and for $5
>> I relished eating cotton candy on a paper cone. Haven't had it for
>> 40yrs. It was as delicious as I remember.
>>
>> I received a fair share of dirty looks from parents who wouldnt spend
>> that much money whose children saw me relishing mine and began to whine.
>> $5 is awfully steep-sheesh it was $16 just to walk thru the gate. (I had
>> the opportunity to get up close and personal with a tiger in his
>> restrictive tiny cage 6feet away from me trying to get out of his cage
>> silently...wow!)
>>
>> So it brings me to this question-have you ever made cotton candy (do
>> tell) and while I know they sell an appliance for it, is it possible to
>> make it stovetop?

> My first cooking experiment was *trying* to make cotton candy. . with
> *Genuine* *sterilized* cotton. [anything sterilized can't hurt you,
> right? -- and genuine=good]
>
> Tom and I were 6 or 7. Neither of our parents would buy us the
> 1/2dollar cotton candy at the fair. We saw the bag of cotton
> balls in his mom's cupboard and figured 'what the heck'.
>
> All we knew about the process was that it involved sugar and spinning.
> we added the water because nothing seemed to be happening.
>
> If you want to try this at home, all we can say is that a pound or 2
> of sugar, a bag of cotton balls, water enough to make a slurry-- and
> beating with a handheld mixer on high until the mixer dies *won't*
> give you cotton candy. It doesn't taste all that bad, but is
> difficult to chew-- and too much will give you a belly-ache.
>
> The bellyache faded in comparison to the ass-whupping we both got.
>
> Ahh-- but the memories.<g> I have a bit of cotton candy every
> decade or so just to bring me back to that day.
>
> Jim

LOL! That's so funny! And the mixer cost far more than the
cotton candy would have.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

(z z) wrote:

>>> How long has it been for you? I went to the circus last week and for $5
>>> I relished eating cotton candy on a paper cone. Haven't had it for
>>> 40yrs. It was as delicious as I remember.
>>>
>>> I received a fair share of dirty looks from parents who wouldnt spend
>>> that much money whose children saw me relishing mine and began to whine.
>>> $5 is awfully steep-sheesh it was $16 just to walk thru the gate. (I had
>>> the opportunity to get up close and personal with a tiger in his
>>> restrictive tiny cage 6feet away from me trying to get out of his cage
>>> silently...wow!)
>>>
>>> So it brings me to this question-have you ever made cotton candy (do
>>> tell) and while I know they sell an appliance for it, is it possible to
>>> make it stovetop?

>> My first cooking experiment was *trying* to make cotton candy. . with
>> *Genuine* *sterilized* cotton. [anything sterilized can't hurt you,
>> right? -- and genuine=good]
>>
>> Tom and I were 6 or 7. Neither of our parents would buy us the
>> 1/2dollar cotton candy at the fair. We saw the bag of cotton
>> balls in his mom's cupboard and figured 'what the heck'.
>>
>> All we knew about the process was that it involved sugar and spinning.
>> we added the water because nothing seemed to be happening.
>>
>> If you want to try this at home, all we can say is that a pound or 2
>> of sugar, a bag of cotton balls, water enough to make a slurry-- and
>> beating with a handheld mixer on high until the mixer dies *won't*
>> give you cotton candy. It doesn't taste all that bad, but is
>> difficult to chew-- and too much will give you a belly-ache.
>>
>> The bellyache faded in comparison to the ass-whupping we both got.

> LOL. I didn't know my family has relatives over there.
> My childrens' nursery encouraged infants to cook from scratch and the
> eldest in particular had some terrible culinary inspirations.
> Unfortunately for his hungry brothers most of them were technically
> edible... eggs fried in the sun direct on the car bonnet; midget fish
> caught in the river, post mortemed on the garden table and baked (or not)
> in the heat of the compost heap. It was a relief when they got old enough
> to light campfires, at least the food was sterilised by heat...
>
> Janet.

Good kids! I tried frying eggs in a pan on the hot driveway and
really messed up the pan.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 15 May 2012 07:39:30 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>
>> My first cooking experiment was *trying* to make cotton candy. . with
>> *Genuine* *sterilized* cotton. [anything sterilized can't hurt you,
>> right? -- and genuine=good]

> I guess my first cooking experiment was mixing up a batch of
> "marijuana" to sell to the dim-witted kid down the street. Mom came
> home while we were mixing up all her leafy spices and I had to do a
> quick, half-assed cleanup. She still saw it, and said "Get all this
> marijuana off the counter!". Hah! We sure fooled her, at least!
>
> We ending up selling that kid broken up apple tree leaves.
>
> -sw

More LOLing. I gave kids a formula that was supposed to turn them
into dinosaurs.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> On Tue, 15 May 2012 11:37:11 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>
>> On May 14, 8:41 pm, (z z) wrote:
>>> How long has it been for you? I went to the circus last week and for $5
>>> I relished eating cotton candy on a paper cone. Haven't had it for
>>> 40yrs. It was as delicious as I remember.
>>>
>>> I received a fair share of dirty looks from parents who wouldnt spend
>>> that much money whose children saw me relishing mine and began to whine.
>>> $5 is awfully steep-sheesh it was $16 just to walk thru the gate. (I had
>>> the opportunity to get up close and personal with a tiger in his
>>> restrictive tiny cage 6feet away from me trying to get out of his cage
>>> silently...wow!)
>>>
>>> So it brings me to this question-have you ever made cotton candy (do
>>> tell) and while I know they sell an appliance for it, is it possible to
>>> make it stovetop?

>> You can't make it stove top, but you can rent the machine.

> Well. . . you *can*, but it isn't worth it. Just think fine
> croquembouche.

Hahaha. Mom and I went through a spun sugar phase, which involved
at least one croquembouche.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

What a fun thread this turned out to be-your youthful adventures are
hillarious.
My cotton candy took quite a long time to eat, was ever so satisfying,
had to lick my fingers after each bite. So would you believe there are
only 118 calories in it (according to Wikipedia.) Ignoring the carbs as
I am wont to do :-) it was fat-free guilt-free low-cal long-lasting
pleasure!

Did you know it was originally called Fairy Fluff and a dentist (!)
helped invent it? nYou can actually make it with sugar free candies to
reduce the counts :-)

Stove top yes-the Alton Brown video was the best I thought-I even have
that same grill rack to spin my web so to speak. Just google homemade
cotton candy.

ps those tigers were exceedingly healthy looking. I did feel sorry for
the dogs and the ponys. The two large elephants I wasnt close enough to
see well and I left at intermission which was 90minutes into their
show-you get your moneys worth if you can stand sitting on an old wooden
bleacher outside for 3hrs. It was literally a three ring open air circus
and included trapeze high wire etc. I don't see how they can make any
money though-maybe 300 people in attendance?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 May 2012 20:47:51 -0700, David Harmon >
wrote:

>On Mon, 14 May 2012 20:41:21 -0500 in rec.food.cooking,
(z z) wrote,
>>How long has it been for you? I went to the circus last week and for $5
>>I relished eating cotton candy on a paper cone.

> That's probably about five cents worth of sugar.

Probably less, but it's the way the sugar is flavored and
processed/presented!

That's the essence of candy! :-)

$5 is way overpriced though. But then today what isn't?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> > That's probably about five cents worth of sugar.

> Probably less, but it's the way the sugar is flavored and
> processed/presented!

How about breakfast cereal? Table service in restaurants? You always
pay for the labor when somebody else does the cooking.