Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default dry fava beans

I grabbed a package a month ago when I was in the Asian store-- and
haven't found a recipe that strikes my fancy yet.

I've had the canned ones once, but these guys just looked too
interesting to pass up.

Many of the recipes I see mash them up - I'd rather see them on the
plate whole.

I see a lot of variations of Ful Medames. is this one as good as any?
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...a-Beans-352993

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-04-10, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> I grabbed a package a month ago when I was in the Asian store-- and
> haven't found a recipe that strikes my fancy yet.
>
> I've had the canned ones once, but these guys just looked too
> interesting to pass up.
>
> Many of the recipes I see mash them up - I'd rather see them on the
> plate whole.
>
> I see a lot of variations of Ful Medames. is this one as good as any?
> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...a-Beans-352993

My question concerns the "soaked overnight (and left unpeeled)" part of
the recipe. I've heard falafel requires peeling the fava beans, which
I understand is tedious and time consuming. Am I to understand ful
medames are eaten, peel on?

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Apr 2012 23:59:01 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2012-04-10, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>> I grabbed a package a month ago when I was in the Asian store-- and
>> haven't found a recipe that strikes my fancy yet.
>>
>> I've had the canned ones once, but these guys just looked too
>> interesting to pass up.
>>
>> Many of the recipes I see mash them up - I'd rather see them on the
>> plate whole.
>>
>> I see a lot of variations of Ful Medames. is this one as good as any?
>> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...a-Beans-352993

>My question concerns the "soaked overnight (and left unpeeled)" part of
>the recipe. I've heard falafel requires peeling the fava beans, which
>I understand is tedious and time consuming. Am I to understand ful
>medames are eaten, peel on?

unless I hear a good reason why not, mine will be.<g> I've seen
recipes with the same name all over the map- from this one, which
appeals to me, to some with similar ingredients ground to a mush.

I don't know if it is one of those dishes that everybody's mother made
their own way-[like spaghetti and meatballs] or if it is really a
well defined dish that gets *******ized in America.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-04-11, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

> I don't know if it is one of those dishes that everybody's mother made
> their own way-[like spaghetti and meatballs] or if it is really a
> well defined dish that gets *******ized in America.

Well, I do know lima beans are very similar to fava beans and I know a
way to cook lima beans so the skin literally disappears or at least
becomes so diaphanous as to be negligible. The problem I still have,
is the skin of a fava like the skin of a lima or does the fava have
completely separate covering skin.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 21:17:45 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> unless I hear a good reason why not, mine will be.<g>

You take that layer off because it's tough. I haven't made fava from
dried, but I do know they're sold dried both peeled and unpeeled. I
have dried, but they are peeled. I learned my lesson after I made
them fresh from the pod *once*. It's tedious work (first free them
from the pod and then peel them). Now I have frozen and dried, and
both are peeled.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/10/2012 4:59 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> I grabbed a package a month ago when I was in the Asian store-- and
> haven't found a recipe that strikes my fancy yet.
>
> I've had the canned ones once, but these guys just looked too
> interesting to pass up.
>
> Many of the recipes I see mash them up - I'd rather see them on the
> plate whole.
>
> I see a lot of variations of Ful Medames. is this one as good as any?
> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...a-Beans-352993
>
> Jim

I have never tried dried, but I am curious about them.

I have access to good frozen fava beans which I think are not too
difficult to peel. My husband says it's not necessary, but I think
tastes vary. I use the frozen in tagines mostly.

If you want whole, I'd suggest trying to find frozen. Dried seems
more suited for mashing. IMO.

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 11:00:51 -0400, Tracy > wrote:

>On 4/10/2012 4:59 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>> I grabbed a package a month ago when I was in the Asian store-- and
>> haven't found a recipe that strikes my fancy yet.
>>
>> I've had the canned ones once, but these guys just looked too
>> interesting to pass up.
>>
>> Many of the recipes I see mash them up - I'd rather see them on the
>> plate whole.
>>
>> I see a lot of variations of Ful Medames. is this one as good as any?
>> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...a-Beans-352993
>>
>> Jim

>I have never tried dried, but I am curious about them.
>
> I have access to good frozen fava beans which I think are not too
>difficult to peel. My husband says it's not necessary, but I think
>tastes vary. I use the frozen in tagines mostly.
>
>If you want whole, I'd suggest trying to find frozen. Dried seems
>more suited for mashing. IMO.

Dried favas work best in soups. For salads and marinated beans you
need fresh or fresh frozen favas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy > wrote:

> Jim

>> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...a-Beans-352993

I use a small fraction of good tomatoes, a heavy amount of thyme, and
diced preserved lemon. Topped with carmelized onion.

>I have never tried dried, but I am curious about them.

They work fine in Ful but are more of a hassle.

>I have access to good frozen fava beans which I think are not too
>difficult to peel. My husband says it's not necessary, but I think
>tastes vary. I use the frozen in tagines mostly.

Are the frozen favas green or brown?

>If you want whole, I'd suggest trying to find frozen. Dried seems
>more suited for mashing. IMO.

Fresh favas are mashed into fava dip, usually seasoned with mint
and, often, cocoanut.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 10, 10:59*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> I grabbed a package a month ago when I was in the Asian store-- and
> haven't found a recipe that strikes my fancy yet.
>
> I've had the canned ones once, but these guys just looked too
> interesting to pass up.
>
> Many of the recipes I see mash them up - I'd rather see them on the
> plate whole.
>
> I see a lot of variations of Ful Medames. *is this one as good as any?http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...s-Egyptian-Bro...
>
> Jim

Make a sofritto of carrot, celery and onoin, saute in good olive oil,
then add water, salt and peeled dried fave. Cook until done. They
mash themselves. Serve as a first course ot an antipasto, hot, in a
small dish with a thread of extra virgin olive oil over the top.
Delicious Pugliese food. Or find a recipe for a Spanish (Asturian)
dish I recently had in Madrid for baked fave with clams. Delicious!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2012 11:57 PM, Steve Pope wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> Jim

>>> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...a-Beans-352993

> I use a small fraction of good tomatoes, a heavy amount of thyme, and
> diced preserved lemon. Topped with carmelized onion.
>
>> I have never tried dried, but I am curious about them.

> They work fine in Ful but are more of a hassle.
>
>> I have access to good frozen fava beans which I think are not too
>> difficult to peel. My husband says it's not necessary, but I think
>> tastes vary. I use the frozen in tagines mostly.

> Are the frozen favas green or brown?

Green

Fava Beans? James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 27 11-08-2011 06:43 PM
fava beans sf[_9_] General Cooking 34 25-05-2010 12:22 AM
Fava beans? Nancy Young General Cooking 23 28-04-2008 02:31 AM
Fava Beans dwåcôn General Cooking 3 07-09-2005 11:49 AM