Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fava Beans?

I have griped in the past about the ridiculous price of fresh Fava
beans, given that 3/4 of the weight is the inedible pods. A new Chinese
supermarket ("Great Wall Market") has opened near where I live and is
selling frozen "Broad Beans". I believe broad and fava beans are the
same thing so I am going to use them for some Moroccan recipes. I'll
report later.

Incidentally, in Rockville, MD, there are now 3 Chinese supermarkets
within a mile of each other. I wonder which will fold? The pre-existing
two were not at all bad.
--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton > wrote:

>I have griped in the past about the ridiculous price of fresh Fava
>beans, given that 3/4 of the weight is the inedible pods. A new Chinese
>supermarket ("Great Wall Market") has opened near where I live and is
>selling frozen "Broad Beans". I believe broad and fava beans are the
>same thing so I am going to use them for some Moroccan recipes. I'll
>report later.

Yes, they're the same bean. Are the frozen ones green? I have in the
past used canned green fava beans and they are not too bad of a
substitute for fresh ones. One hopes the frozen ones are even better.

Like most beans they are most often dried than cooked from dried, as
opposed to used while still fresh and green.

(I have to add that the times I have seen fava/broad beans used in
east Asian cooking, they were always in a fermented paste.)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 13:44:27 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

> I am going to use them for some Moroccan recipes.

Have you discovered the Moroccan cooking group on FB?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/31/2011 4:40 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 13:44:27 -0400, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>
>> I am going to use them for some Moroccan recipes.

> Have you discovered the Moroccan cooking group on FB?

What group is that? I only see alt.culture.moroccan on
eternal-september. I rather like Moroccan food but mostly I have eaten
it in restaurants tho' I have attempted some Tagine recipes (and
hummous, of course!)

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 16:49:00 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

> On 7/31/2011 4:40 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 13:44:27 -0400, James Silverton
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I am going to use them for some Moroccan recipes.

> > Have you discovered the Moroccan cooking group on FB?
> >

> What group is that? I only see alt.culture.moroccan on
> eternal-september. I rather like Moroccan food but mostly I have eaten
> it in restaurants tho' I have attempted some Tagine recipes (and
> hummous, of course!)

Not Usenet, Facebook. Enter Moroccan Cooking In the FB search box.
It's a group and has a picture of a tagine as the profile photo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/31/2011 5:16 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 16:49:00 -0400, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>
>> On 7/31/2011 4:40 PM, sf wrote:
>>> On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 13:44:27 -0400, James Silverton

>>> Have you discovered the Moroccan cooking group on FB?
>>>

>> What group is that? I only see alt.culture.moroccan on
>> eternal-september. I rather like Moroccan food but mostly I have eaten
>> it in restaurants tho' I have attempted some Tagine recipes (and
>> hummous, of course!)

> Not Usenet, Facebook. Enter Moroccan Cooking In the FB search box.
> It's a group and has a picture of a tagine as the profile photo.

Ah, I see but I've never used Facebook ;-)

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/31/2011 2:49 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 7/31/2011 4:40 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 13:44:27 -0400, James Silverton
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I am going to use them for some Moroccan recipes.

>> Have you discovered the Moroccan cooking group on FB?
>>

> What group is that? I only see alt.culture.moroccan on
> eternal-september. I rather like Moroccan food but mostly I have eaten
> it in restaurants tho' I have attempted some Tagine recipes (and
> hummous, of course!)

about.com has a Moroccan recipe and food information site
by Christine Benlafquih that I have found helpful.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 13:44:27 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

> I have griped in the past about the ridiculous price of fresh Fava
> beans, given that 3/4 of the weight is the inedible pods. A new Chinese
> supermarket ("Great Wall Market") has opened near where I live and is
> selling frozen "Broad Beans". I believe broad and fava beans are the
> same thing so I am going to use them for some Moroccan recipes. I'll
> report later.
>
> Incidentally, in Rockville, MD, there are now 3 Chinese supermarkets
> within a mile of each other. I wonder which will fold? The pre-existing
> two were not at all bad.

so do you like this new store?

your silver spring pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/1/2011 12:18 PM, blake murphy wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 13:44:27 -0400, James Silverton wrote:
>
>> I have griped in the past about the ridiculous price of fresh Fava
>> beans, given that 3/4 of the weight is the inedible pods. A new Chinese
>> supermarket ("Great Wall Market") has opened near where I live and is
>> selling frozen "Broad Beans". I believe broad and fava beans are the
>> same thing so I am going to use them for some Moroccan recipes. I'll
>> report later.
>>
>> Incidentally, in Rockville, MD, there are now 3 Chinese supermarkets
>> within a mile of each other. I wonder which will fold? The pre-existing
>> two were not at all bad.

> so do you like this new store?
>
> your silver spring pal,
> blake

It's certainly much bigger than either of the other two markets and has
much larger produce and meat/fish sections and generally has a greater
choice of most things. I have been satisfied with my purchases so far.

Incidentally, it is located just after the intersection of Hungerford
Dr. and N.Washington St.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 13:21:43 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

> On 8/1/2011 12:18 PM, blake murphy wrote:
>> On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 13:44:27 -0400, James Silverton wrote:
>>
>>> I have griped in the past about the ridiculous price of fresh Fava
>>> beans, given that 3/4 of the weight is the inedible pods. A new Chinese
>>> supermarket ("Great Wall Market") has opened near where I live and is
>>> selling frozen "Broad Beans". I believe broad and fava beans are the
>>> same thing so I am going to use them for some Moroccan recipes. I'll
>>> report later.
>>>
>>> Incidentally, in Rockville, MD, there are now 3 Chinese supermarkets
>>> within a mile of each other. I wonder which will fold? The pre-existing
>>> two were not at all bad.

>> so do you like this new store?
>>
>> your silver spring pal,
>> blake

> It's certainly much bigger than either of the other two markets and has
> much larger produce and meat/fish sections and generally has a greater
> choice of most things. I have been satisfied with my purchases so far.
>
> Incidentally, it is located just after the intersection of Hungerford
> Dr. and N.Washington St.

within striking distance of the rockville metro station, i take it.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/2/2011 2:00 PM, blake murphy wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 13:21:43 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

>>> so do you like this new store?
>>>
>>> your silver spring pal,
>>> blake

>> It's certainly much bigger than either of the other two markets and has
>> much larger produce and meat/fish sections and generally has a greater
>> choice of most things. I have been satisfied with my purchases so far.
>>
>> Incidentally, it is located just after the intersection of Hungerford
>> Dr. and N.Washington St.

> within striking distance of the rockville metro station, i take it.
>
> your pal,
> blake

You use a wheel chair don't you? The store is about 1/3 mile beyond the
Maxim's that you may know.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 14:27:24 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

> On 8/2/2011 2:00 PM, blake murphy wrote:

>>> It's certainly much bigger than either of the other two markets and has
>>> much larger produce and meat/fish sections and generally has a greater
>>> choice of most things. I have been satisfied with my purchases so far.
>>>
>>> Incidentally, it is located just after the intersection of Hungerford
>>> Dr. and N.Washington St.

>> within striking distance of the rockville metro station, i take it.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> You use a wheel chair don't you? The store is about 1/3 mile beyond the
> Maxim's that you may know.

i think that's good. a mile is about twenty minutes in my power chair.
(one of the two others - i forget which - i had to hang around until i
could get the attention of someone to open the gate preventing carts from
leaving the loading area before i could get in. that kinda ****ed me off.)

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011 12:51:42 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 14:27:24 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

>>> within striking distance of the rockville metro station, i take it.
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake

>> You use a wheel chair don't you? The store is about 1/3 mile beyond the
>> Maxim's that you may know.

>i think that's good. a mile is about twenty minutes in my power chair.
>(one of the two others - i forget which - i had to hang around until i
>could get the attention of someone to open the gate preventing carts from
>leaving the loading area before i could get in. that kinda ****ed me off.)

What a visual... now that made me laugh... I would have loved to have
seen the mick outside the gate crying to be let in like a homeless
mutt. LOL-LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011 12:51:42 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 14:27:24 -0400, James Silverton wrote:
>

> > You use a wheel chair don't you? The store is about 1/3 mile beyond the
> > Maxim's that you may know.

> i think that's good. a mile is about twenty minutes in my power chair.
> (one of the two others - i forget which - i had to hang around until i
> could get the attention of someone to open the gate preventing carts from
> leaving the loading area before i could get in. that kinda ****ed me off.)

Sounds like they have a little ADA issue there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fava Beans? + Moroccan Salad

On 7/31/2011 1:54 PM, Steve Pope wrote:
> James > wrote:
>
>> I have griped in the past about the ridiculous price of fresh Fava
>> beans, given that 3/4 of the weight is the inedible pods. A new Chinese
>> supermarket ("Great Wall Market") has opened near where I live and is
>> selling frozen "Broad Beans". I believe broad and fava beans are the
>> same thing so I am going to use them for some Moroccan recipes. I'll
>> report later.

> Yes, they're the same bean. Are the frozen ones green? I have in the
> past used canned green fava beans and they are not too bad of a
> substitute for fresh ones. One hopes the frozen ones are even better.
>
> Like most beans they are most often dried than cooked from dried, as
> opposed to used while still fresh and green.
>
> (I have to add that the times I have seen fava/broad beans used in
> east Asian cooking, they were always in a fermented paste.)

Getting back to the original discussion, the frozen broad beans were a
pleasant light green in color and I made a Moroccan Bean Salad that was
pretty good.

I will append the recipe.

Moroccan Fava Bean Salad with Olive Oil and Spices

http://moroccanfood.about.com/od/sal..._olive_oil.htm

By Christine Benlafquih, About.com Guide

Moroccan Fava Bean Salad with Olive Oil and Spices

This easy cooked Fava Bean Salad is usually offered as a side, but it
can also be served as a vegetarian main dish. Moroccans typically eat it
as a dip with Moroccan bread or as a finger food. Whether or not to
remove the fava bean skins is left to the preference of the diner. The
preserved lemon is optional.

Serves 4 as a side dish.

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 35 minutes

Ingredients:

1 lb. (500 g) shelled fresh fava beans
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup water

1 tablespoons lemon juice, or more to taste
1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
3 tablespoons chopped parsley or cilantro
1/2 preserved lemon, cut into quarters (optional)
Preparation:

Place the fava beans, garlic, spices, olive oil and water in a small
pot. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 20 minutes.

Add the salt and lemon juice, cover, and continue simmering for another
5 to 10 minutes or until the sauce is reduced to oil and spices. Stir in
the parsley and preserved lemon, taste for salt, and serve warm or at
room temperature.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> On 7/31/2011 1:54 PM, Steve Pope wrote:
>> James > wrote:
>>
>>> I have griped in the past about the ridiculous price of fresh Fava
>>> beans, given that 3/4 of the weight is the inedible pods. A new Chinese
>>> supermarket ("Great Wall Market") has opened near where I live and is
>>> selling frozen "Broad Beans". I believe broad and fava beans are the
>>> same thing so I am going to use them for some Moroccan recipes. I'll
>>> report later.

>> Yes, they're the same bean. Are the frozen ones green? I have in the
>> past used canned green fava beans and they are not too bad of a
>> substitute for fresh ones. One hopes the frozen ones are even better.
>>
>> Like most beans they are most often dried than cooked from dried, as
>> opposed to used while still fresh and green.
>>
>> (I have to add that the times I have seen fava/broad beans used in
>> east Asian cooking, they were always in a fermented paste.)

> Getting back to the original discussion, the frozen broad beans were a
> pleasant light green in color and I made a Moroccan Bean Salad that was
> pretty good.
>
> I will append the recipe.
>
> Moroccan Fava Bean Salad with Olive Oil and Spices
>
> http://moroccanfood.about.com/od/sal..._olive_oil.htm
>

> By Christine Benlafquih, About.com Guide
>
> Moroccan Fava Bean Salad with Olive Oil and Spices
>
> This easy cooked Fava Bean Salad is usually offered as a side, but it
> can also be served as a vegetarian main dish. Moroccans typically eat it
> as a dip with Moroccan bread or as a finger food. Whether or not to
> remove the fava bean skins is left to the preference of the diner. The
> preserved lemon is optional.
>
> Serves 4 as a side dish.
>
> Prep Time: 5 minutes
>
> Cook Time: 30 minutes
>
> Total Time: 35 minutes
>
> Ingredients:
>
> 1 lb. (500 g) shelled fresh fava beans
> 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
> 2 teaspoons paprika
> 1 teaspoon cumin
> 4 tablespoons olive oil
> 1 cup water
>
> 1 tablespoons lemon juice, or more to taste
> 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
> 3 tablespoons chopped parsley or cilantro
> 1/2 preserved lemon, cut into quarters (optional)
> Preparation:
>
> Place the fava beans, garlic, spices, olive oil and water in a small
> pot. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 20 minutes.
>
> Add the salt and lemon juice, cover, and continue simmering for another
> 5 to 10 minutes or until the sauce is reduced to oil and spices. Stir in
> the parsley and preserved lemon, taste for salt, and serve warm or at
> room temperature.

Mmmm. Saved. Now where did I just see fresh fava beans?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 10:46:48 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Aug 2011 12:51:42 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 14:27:24 -0400, James Silverton wrote:
>>

>>> You use a wheel chair don't you? The store is about 1/3 mile beyond the
>>> Maxim's that you may know.

>> i think that's good. a mile is about twenty minutes in my power chair.
>> (one of the two others - i forget which - i had to hang around until i
>> could get the attention of someone to open the gate preventing carts from
>> leaving the loading area before i could get in. that kinda ****ed me off.)
>>

> Sounds like they have a little ADA issue there.

hard to tell. it's not ideal, but when someone finally opened the gate it
was accessible. but there was no way to let them know i was out there but
waving my arms.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 13:19:19 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

> hard to tell. it's not ideal, but when someone finally opened the gate it
> was accessible. but there was no way to let them know i was out there but
> waving my arms.

If you have to wave your arms, it's an issue. Can you call them to
tell them you're coming? If you have a cell phone, maybe you can call
to let them know you're ready to be let in. Just writing it sounds
like an ADA problem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 11:00:01 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 13:19:19 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>> hard to tell. it's not ideal, but when someone finally opened the gate it
>> was accessible. but there was no way to let them know i was out there but
>> waving my arms.

> If you have to wave your arms, it's an issue. Can you call them to
> tell them you're coming?

yeah, i could do that, but the logistics are such (subway ride) that i
could give them only a rough estimate of the time.

>If you have a cell phone, maybe you can call
> to let them know you're ready to be let in.

the ideal solution. alas, i (gasp) don't have a cell phone.

>Just writing it sounds
> like an ADA problem.

well, as has been mentioned here before, they don't really have to *be* in
compliance if they haven't done a major alteration or the structure was
built before a certain date. and i can understand that their concern over
losing carts would outweigh my momentary annoyance.

i was just a little irked because i was surprised. (my first time there.)
the d.c. area is very good in the terms of compliance.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Aug 2011 13:53:20 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

> i can understand that their concern over
> losing carts would outweigh my momentary annoyance.

They need to install what the major grocers have here... a lock on the
wheels kicks in when the cart goes past an electronic fence. It's the
same idea as electronic fences for dogs only more effective.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/6/2011 2:25 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Aug 2011 13:53:20 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>> i can understand that their concern over
>> losing carts would outweigh my momentary annoyance.

> They need to install what the major grocers have here... a lock on the
> wheels kicks in when the cart goes past an electronic fence. It's the
> same idea as electronic fences for dogs only more effective.

The statement posted "We are not responsible for damage caused by carts"
has yet to be really tested. I think stores would get more ingenious if
they were successfully sued.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 16:36:21 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

> I think stores would get more ingenious if they were successfully sued.

My feeling is they have been put on notice - if not sued already.
Some of them, like Target, have plastic carts with rounded corners
that don't damage like the metal ones do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
James Silverton> wrote:

>> I think stores would get more ingenious if they were successfully sued.

> My feeling is they have been put on notice - if not sued already.
> Some of them, like Target, have plastic carts with rounded corners
> that don't damage like the metal ones do.

If you make people release them with a coin, they don't let them jazz across
the parking lot. The unload and then take the cart to the corral to get
their money back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/7/2011 4:48 AM, Giusi wrote:
> > ha scritto nel messaggio
> James Silverton> wrote:
>>
>>> I think stores would get more ingenious if they were successfully sued.

>> My feeling is they have been put on notice - if not sued already.
>> Some of them, like Target, have plastic carts with rounded corners
>> that don't damage like the metal ones do.

> If you make people release them with a coin, they don't let them jazz across
> the parking lot. The unload and then take the cart to the corral to get
> their money back.

Unfortunately, the US does not have a coin of big enough value. I'm not
sure that a quarter will bring people back.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 08:06:07 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

>On 8/7/2011 4:48 AM, Giusi wrote:
>> > ha scritto nel messaggio

>>> My feeling is they have been put on notice - if not sued already.
>>> Some of them, like Target, have plastic carts with rounded corners
>>> that don't damage like the metal ones do.

>> If you make people release them with a coin, they don't let them jazz across
>> the parking lot. The unload and then take the cart to the corral to get
>> their money back.
>>

>Unfortunately, the US does not have a coin of big enough value. I'm not
>sure that a quarter will bring people back.

In our area, about 5-10 years ago, 2 of the larger stores floated that
trial balloon. The quarter was not big enough to make a lot of folks
return the carts-- but it was too big for a significant number of
folks to continue to patronize the stores. Both stores
[competitors] gave up the idea rather rapidly.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 10:48:53 +0200, "Giusi" > wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> James Silverton> wrote:
> >
> >> I think stores would get more ingenious if they were successfully sued.

> > My feeling is they have been put on notice - if not sued already.
> > Some of them, like Target, have plastic carts with rounded corners
> > that don't damage like the metal ones do.

> If you make people release them with a coin, they don't let them jazz across
> the parking lot. The unload and then take the cart to the corral to get
> their money back.

That was 10-20 years ago. They've moved on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

but at our aldis, there are some enterprising souls that offer to return
your cart so you don't have to walk all that way for the quarter, lots at
aldi, Lee
"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 8/7/2011 4:48 AM, Giusi wrote:
>> > ha scritto nel messaggio

>>> My feeling is they have been put on notice - if not sued already.
>>> Some of them, like Target, have plastic carts with rounded corners
>>> that don't damage like the metal ones do.

>> If you make people release them with a coin, they don't let them jazz
>> across
>> the parking lot. The unload and then take the cart to the corral to get
>> their money back.
>>

> Unfortunately, the US does not have a coin of big enough value. I'm not
> sure that a quarter will bring people back.
>
> --
>

> James Silverton, Potomac
>
> I'm *not*

dry fava beans Jim Elbrecht General Cooking 9 12-04-2012 02:14 PM
fava beans sf[_9_] General Cooking 34 25-05-2010 12:22 AM
Fava beans? Nancy Young General Cooking 23 28-04-2008 02:31 AM
Fava Beans dwåcôn General Cooking 3 07-09-2005 11:49 AM