Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Putting frozen food in the fridge

Is there anything wrong with putting food from the freezer section in the
refrigerator if you're going to use it within a day or two? Like frozen veggies
or pizza as an example? Sometimes our freezer is so full, I have no room for
something I bought for dinner the same or the next night. I'm thinking I might
just have to lessen the cooking time if it's microwaveable? Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Is there anything wrong with putting food from the freezer section in the
> refrigerator if you're going to use it within a day or two? Like frozen
> veggies
> or pizza as an example? Sometimes our freezer is so full, I have no room
> for
> something I bought for dinner the same or the next night. I'm thinking I
> might
> just have to lessen the cooking time if it's microwaveable? Thanks.

Nope, no problem. I do it all the time.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Is there anything wrong with putting food from the freezer section in the
> refrigerator if you're going to use it within a day or two? Like frozen
> veggies
> or pizza as an example? Sometimes our freezer is so full, I have no room
> for
> something I bought for dinner the same or the next night. I'm thinking I
> might
> just have to lessen the cooking time if it's microwaveable? Thanks.

Read the label. Some things will say not to do that. I will do it if I am
planning to cook it in the next hour or two. But if it says to keep frozen
then that's what you need to do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/5/12 1:00 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Read the label. Some things will say not to do that. I will do it if I am
> planning to cook it in the next hour or two. But if it says to keep frozen
> then that's what you need to do.

No you don't. That's for imbeciles (cough cough) who don't have the
common sense to know that frozen foods aren't meant to be stored in the
pantry or something. It covers all bases. Exactly what harm do you
reckon comes to a bag of frozen peas allowed to thaw in the fridge for 6
or 8 hours before cooking??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 23:18:39 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 22:17:12 -0500, wrote:
>
>> Is there anything wrong with putting food from the freezer section in the
>> refrigerator if you're going to use it within a day or two? Like frozen veggies
>> or pizza as an example? Sometimes our freezer is so full, I have no room for
>> something I bought for dinner the same or the next night. I'm thinking I might
>> just have to lessen the cooking time if it's microwaveable? Thanks.

>Pizzas are meant to be baked at the required time and temp froma
>frozen state for a certain desired outcome. Letting it thaw first
>will drastically effect the way it cooks. I have a never a pizza box
>that doesn't say "Do Not Thaw. Product needs cooked fully", but
>Sheldon would be the export on frozen pizzas instructions.
>
>Vegetables, no problem. Except they'll leak as they thaw (assuming
>bags or boxes).
>
>Each product is different. Use some common sense, read the packaging,
>and you'll should be OK. At least in a perfect world.
>
>-sw

As a frozen pizza thaws the dough will begin to rise, soften and
become too floppy to handle, and will very likely ooze through the
oven rack... the cardboard backing will probably also stick and become
difficult to remove and the toppings will stick to the plastic
wrapping too. Although I've not done it I'd think the best thing to
do is to place the pizza from the fridge back into the freezer for
like two hours to firm up before attempting handle, but I'd think it
will still be a mess. One thing to do to save some freezer space is
to remove frozen pizzas from the over box (do NOT open the plastic
packaging), that is if you buy the good ones thet are packaged in an
over box. The cheapo frozen pizzas in just plastic wrapping are
awful. I have a spot arranged in my top freezer that will accomodate
up to four frozen pizzas. I don't remove frozen pizza from the
freezer until my oven is fully heated. I've never placed frozen
veggies in my fridge either, don't think that's a good idea... then
you may as well use canned... and frozen fries will turn to compost.
Remember, all frozen foods are flash frozen, for a reason. All frozen
foods say right on the package to keep frozen until ready to use.
Don't pre defrost frozen OJ either. In fact don't refreeze ice cubes.
Thawed pizza has the value of thawed ice cream.