Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Negative calories

"MC", posted this in alt.usage.english. It's an intriguing idea tho' I
don't know how much celery I could eat at a sitting without ruining its
negative effect by using cream cheese or a dip :-)

------------------
In article >,
Evan Kirshenbaum > wrote:

> Celery is also one of the only foods that imparts negative calories.
> You consume more calories chewing it than the body can extract from
> it.

I've always wondered if that was true, so I looked on Snopes...

And it *is*!

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/celery.asp
-------------------

Jim Silverton

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton > wrote:
> "MC", posted this in alt.usage.english. It's an intriguing idea tho' I
> don't know how much celery I could eat at a sitting without ruining its
> negative effect by using cream cheese or a dip :-)
>
> ------------------
> In article >,
> Evan Kirshenbaum > wrote:
>
>> Celery is also one of the only foods that imparts negative calories.
>> You consume more calories chewing it than the body can extract from
>> it.

> I've always wondered if that was true, so I looked on Snopes...
>
> And it *is*!
>
> http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/celery.asp
> -------------------
>

> Jim Silverton

You can pretty much also chew on raw potato. No calories. I would not eat
the raw skin. I like sliced potatoes in salads.

An egg, 75 calories. The body also uses that much trying to digest it. Raw
that is.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 14:16:44 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

>"MC", posted this in alt.usage.english. It's an intriguing idea tho' I
>don't know how much celery I could eat at a sitting without ruining its
>negative effect by using cream cheese or a dip :-)
>
>------------------
>In article >,
> Evan Kirshenbaum > wrote:
>
> > Celery is also one of the only foods that imparts negative calories.
> > You consume more calories chewing it than the body can extract from
> > it.

>I've always wondered if that was true, so I looked on Snopes...
>
>And it *is*!
>
>http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/celery.asp
>-------------------
>

>Jim Silverton
>
>Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

my recent favorite snack is celery sticks dipped in a Jalapeno Greek
yogurt product from Costco. 50 calories for 2 tablespoon, plus
probiotics and calcium. very satisfying snack
janet us
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/3/2012 8:13 AM, Omelet wrote:

> Lettuce, cabbage, spinach and other leafy greens high in fiber are also
> supposedly "negative" in calories. You burn more calories digesting
> them than they have in them because they are mostly fiber and water.

Hey Om, nice to see you.

I read somewhere recently that it's a myth about the negative
calorie thing, but I don't have a problem believing it's true.
I mean, if something has near to no calories, you use up more
taking the stuff out of the refrigerator and chopping it!

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 08:32:50 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 2/3/2012 8:13 AM, Omelet wrote:
>
>> Lettuce, cabbage, spinach and other leafy greens high in fiber are also
>> supposedly "negative" in calories. You burn more calories digesting
>> them than they have in them because they are mostly fiber and water.

>Hey Om, nice to see you.
>
>I read somewhere recently that it's a myth about the negative
>calorie thing, but I don't have a problem believing it's true.
>I mean, if something has near to no calories, you use up more
>taking the stuff out of the refrigerator and chopping it!
>
>nancy

According to snopes it's true but there's other issues involved.

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/celery.asp

I met an anorexic woman 20+ years ago who eats loads of it. She's
5'9" and weighed 140 when we met. Last I heard she was at 107. She's
in her mid 50's and looks like she's in her 70's.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> I met an anorexic woman 20+ years ago who eats loads of it. She's
> 5'9" and weighed 140 when we met. Last I heard she was at 107. She's
> in her mid 50's and looks like she's in her 70's.

Same with me. Met one about 30 years ago and she was the correct weight and
looked good. Now anorexic and she looks way older than she is. Sad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/3/2012 8:13 AM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> James > wrote:
>
>> "MC", posted this in alt.usage.english. It's an intriguing idea tho' I
>> don't know how much celery I could eat at a sitting without ruining its
>> negative effect by using cream cheese or a dip :-)
>>
>> ------------------
>> In >,
>> Evan > wrote:
>>
>> > Celery is also one of the only foods that imparts negative calories.
>> > You consume more calories chewing it than the body can extract from
>> > it.

>> I've always wondered if that was true, so I looked on Snopes...
>>
>> And it *is*!
>>
>> http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/celery.asp
>> -------------------
>>

>> Jim Silverton
>>
>> Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

> Lettuce, cabbage, spinach and other leafy greens high in fiber are also
> supposedly "negative" in calories. You burn more calories digesting
> them than they have in them because they are mostly fiber and water.

Long time no see, Om!

I'll have to increase the amount of salads and cabbage that I eat.
Lettuce and cabbage are about the only greens that I really like.

--
Jim Silverton

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 07:13:34 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

Waving to Om.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/3/2012 10:57 AM, Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 08:32:50 -0500, Nancy Young
> > wrote:

>> I read somewhere recently that it's a myth about the negative
>> calorie thing, but I don't have a problem believing it's true.
>> I mean, if something has near to no calories, you use up more
>> taking the stuff out of the refrigerator and chopping it!

> According to snopes it's true but there's other issues involved.
>
> http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/celery.asp

Thanks. I say it's a wash, but there is only so much celery
or lettuce I can eat, even if I was dieting.

> I met an anorexic woman 20+ years ago who eats loads of it. She's
> 5'9" and weighed 140 when we met. Last I heard she was at 107. She's
> in her mid 50's and looks like she's in her 70's.

I feel sorry for her, that can't be fun at all. Being so
skinny doesn't feel that great, plus, as you say, you look
old and drawn.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

>On 2/3/2012 10:57 AM, Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 08:32:50 -0500, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:

>>> I read somewhere recently that it's a myth about the negative
>>> calorie thing, but I don't have a problem believing it's true.
>>> I mean, if something has near to no calories, you use up more
>>> taking the stuff out of the refrigerator and chopping it!

>> According to snopes it's true but there's other issues involved.
>>
>> http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/celery.asp

>Thanks. I say it's a wash, but there is only so much celery
>or lettuce I can eat, even if I was dieting.

You be surprized at how much celery you can eat stuffed with peanut
butter. lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 2, 4:14*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 14:16:44 -0500, James Silverton
>

> > wrote:
> >"MC", *posted this in alt.usage.english. It's an intriguing idea tho' I
> >don't know how much celery I could eat at a sitting without ruining its
> >negative effect by using cream cheese or a dip :-)

> >------------------
> >In article >,
> > *Evan Kirshenbaum > wrote:

> > > Celery is also one of the only foods that imparts negative calories.
> > > You consume more calories chewing it than the body can extract from
> > > it.

> >I've always wondered if that was true, so I looked on Snopes...

> >And it *is*!

> >http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/celery.asp
> >-------------------

> >Jim Silverton

> >Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

> my recent favorite snack is celery sticks dipped in a Jalapeno Greek
> yogurt product from Costco. *50 calories for 2 tablespoon, plus
> probiotics and calcium. *very satisfying snack
> janet us

I have to go to Costco tomorrow...I think I'll pick some up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in newsmpomelet-549DFB.17593203022012
@news.giganews.com:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 07:13:34 -0600, Omelet >
>> wrote:
>>
>> Waving to Om.

> Cheers!

Well,there you are!!

Welcome back :-)

--
Peter
Tasmania
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 2, 2:16*pm, James Silverton > wrote:
> "MC", *posted this in alt.usage.english. It's an intriguing idea tho' I
> don't know how much celery I could eat at a sitting without ruining its
> negative effect by using cream cheese or a dip :-)
>
> ------------------
> In article >,
> *> Celery is also one of the only foods that imparts negative calories.
> *> You consume more calories chewing it than the body can extract from
> *> it.
> I've always wondered if that was true, so I looked on Snopes...
>
> And it *is*!

I think that pickin' out crab meat has be negative or close.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 18:00:21 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>> >Thanks. I say it's a wash, but there is only so much celery
>> >or lettuce I can eat, even if I was dieting.

>> You be surprized at how much celery you can eat stuffed with peanut
>> butter. lol

>I like to stuff celery with various kinds of meat salads.

Clam dip! Goes well with bloody marys. Where have you been hiding?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 11:31:59 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>> I met an anorexic woman 20+ years ago who eats loads of it. She's
>> 5'9" and weighed 140 when we met. Last I heard she was at 107. She's
>> in her mid 50's and looks like she's in her 70's.

>Same with me. Met one about 30 years ago and she was the correct weight and
>looked good. Now anorexic and she looks way older than she is. Sad.

Eating disorders are very strange and I only know a little about them.
I wish I could give her 25 pounds from my waist line and put it on her
hips so she could look like a woman.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 13:31:03 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 2/3/2012 10:57 AM, Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 08:32:50 -0500, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:

>>> I read somewhere recently that it's a myth about the negative
>>> calorie thing, but I don't have a problem believing it's true.
>>> I mean, if something has near to no calories, you use up more
>>> taking the stuff out of the refrigerator and chopping it!

>> According to snopes it's true but there's other issues involved.
>>
>> http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/celery.asp

>Thanks. I say it's a wash, but there is only so much celery
>or lettuce I can eat, even if I was dieting.

I like celery but it needs to be cooked in something or filled with
cream cheese. I'm not an Old Bay freak but it's good sprinkled on the
cream cheese filled celery.

>> I met an anorexic woman 20+ years ago who eats loads of it. She's
>> 5'9" and weighed 140 when we met. Last I heard she was at 107. She's
>> in her mid 50's and looks like she's in her 70's.

>I feel sorry for her, that can't be fun at all. Being so
>skinny doesn't feel that great, plus, as you say, you look
>old and drawn.

I feel sorry too but I have to keep her at an arms length. Eating
disorders come with other issues.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in
news
> In article >,
> "I'm back on the laptop" > wrote:
>
>> Omelet > wrote in
>> newsmpomelet-549DFB.17593203022012 @news.giganews.com:

>> > Cheers!

>> Well,there you are!!
>>
>> Welcome back :-)

> No worries mate!

Whatchabeenup2?

--
Peter
Tasmania
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Nancy Young > wrote:

> On 2/3/2012 8:13 AM, Omelet wrote:
>
> > Lettuce, cabbage, spinach and other leafy greens high in fiber are also
> > supposedly "negative" in calories. You burn more calories digesting
> > them than they have in them because they are mostly fiber and water.

> Hey Om, nice to see you.
>
> I read somewhere recently that it's a myth about the negative
> calorie thing, but I don't have a problem believing it's true.
> I mean, if something has near to no calories, you use up more
> taking the stuff out of the refrigerator and chopping it!
>
> nancy

Only one problem with the "negative calorie" concept: What you eat WITH
the negative calorie food will negate the negative calories. Throw some
feta cheese, bacon, or dressing on that lettuce and you've more than
made up for the negativity.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Gary > wrote:

> Lou Decruss wrote:
> >
> > I met an anorexic woman 20+ years ago who eats loads of it. She's
> > 5'9" and weighed 140 when we met. Last I heard she was at 107. She's
> > in her mid 50's and looks like she's in her 70's.

> Same with me. Met one about 30 years ago and she was the correct weight and
> looked good. Now anorexic and she looks way older than she is. Sad.

I will never forget the young woman who landed in my office my first
year teaching nutrition at UNC Greensboro. It was the coldest day of
the winter, and she came to get course advice. Her thighs were about as
big around as my forearms (and I'm relatively small-framed). She might
have weighed 85 lb. soaking wet in six layers of sweatsuits. She didn't
last half the semester without needing to go back into treatment for
anorexia. One of the courses she took was a food science lab, and
sampling the lab work was too much for her psychologically. Eating
disorders are terrible diseases, and the relapse rate is very high.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 3, 3:56*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
> *Nancy Young > wrote:
>
> > On 2/3/2012 8:13 AM, Omelet wrote:

> > > Lettuce, cabbage, spinach and other leafy greens high in fiber are also
> > > supposedly "negative" in calories. *You burn more calories digesting
> > > them than they have in them because they are mostly fiber and water.

> > Hey Om, nice to see you.

> Thanks. *Just passing thru as I have time. ;-)
> Life's been bizzy.
>

> > I read somewhere recently that it's a myth about the negative
> > calorie thing, but I don't have a problem believing it's true.
> > I mean, if something has near to no calories, you use up more
> > taking the stuff out of the refrigerator and chopping it!

> > nancy

> That is the general idea. *I'm dubious about it too so still count them,
> but the calories in vs. calories out equation is still valid.
>
> Net carb calories subtract the fiber calories from the total carb
> calories. *Theoretically anyway!
>
> I'm cooking tonight for myself for the first time in a couple of months.
> Shiratake noodles with a little Marinara, sliced mushrooms, some small
> sausage balls and Asparagus was $1.47 today so I'm adding some of that
> on the side.
> --
> Peace, Om
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
>
> "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
> come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-- Mark Twain

Is your Dad okay? Hope so...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/4/2012 11:47 AM, Cindy Fuller wrote:
> Nancy > wrote:

>> I read somewhere recently that it's a myth about the negative
>> calorie thing, but I don't have a problem believing it's true.
>> I mean, if something has near to no calories, you use up more
>> taking the stuff out of the refrigerator and chopping it!

> Only one problem with the "negative calorie" concept: What you eat WITH
> the negative calorie food will negate the negative calories.

What! Getting out the peanut butter, grabbing a knife and
(laugh)

> Throw some
> feta cheese, bacon, or dressing on that lettuce and you've more than
> made up for the negativity.

I only really eat plain celery hearts. Otherwise I don't eat
celery by itself, only as an ingredient.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 14:37:46 GMT, "I'm back on the laptop"
> wrote:

> Going to be doing the same for the next 6-12 months..... but we call
> then 'garage sales'. We've just bought a house. Settlement is on
> Valentines Day.

FYI - the difference between them over here is if the stuff you're
selling is in a garage (easier because you just open and close the
door) or in the yard (not so easy because you have to pack, unpack and
then do it again if it's a two day sale). I have to have yard sales
because my garage is off an easement in back of the house. It's a lot
of work, so I don't do it anymore.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 08:47:58 -0800, Cindy Fuller
> wrote:

> Only one problem with the "negative calorie" concept: What you eat WITH
> the negative calorie food will negate the negative calories. Throw some
> feta cheese, bacon, or dressing on that lettuce and you've more than
> made up for the negativity.

Dressing doesn't have to be an issue if you don't drown your lettuce
in it and you don't need all that other stuff if your greens are
interesting enough. I never put cheese or bacon on salad and rarely
put tomato, onion or cucumber on it.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young > wrote:

> I only really eat plain celery hearts. Otherwise I don't eat
> celery by itself, only as an ingredient.

I had celery with my breakfast this morning. Scrambled eggs, bacon,
celery, bratwurst, low-carb yogurt, and coffee.

--
Mike
http://www.facebook.com/groups/mikes.place.bar/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 10:14:32 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 08:47:58 -0800, Cindy Fuller
> wrote:
>
>> Only one problem with the "negative calorie" concept: What you eat WITH
>> the negative calorie food will negate the negative calories. Throw some
>> feta cheese, bacon, or dressing on that lettuce and you've more than
>> made up for the negativity.

>Dressing doesn't have to be an issue if you don't drown your lettuce
>in it and you don't need all that other stuff if your greens are
>interesting enough. I never put cheese or bacon on salad and rarely
>put tomato, onion or cucumber on it.

I couldn't eat a salad of greens. that tastes like awful grass to me.
my salads are full of vegetable chunks. no bacon or cheese though.
just salt and pepper, vinegar and oil.
as for celery sticks, I am in love with this stuff from Costco
'Skotidakis Jalepeno Yogurt Dip made with strained Greek yogurt '
50 calories for 2 tablespoons
Janet us
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I think that's also true of lettuce.

Jerry
--
"I view the progress of science as being the slow erosion of the
tendency to dichotomize." Barbara Smuts, U. Mich.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 12:07:00 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> I couldn't eat a salad of greens. that tastes like awful grass to me.
> my salads are full of vegetable chunks. no bacon or cheese though.
> just salt and pepper, vinegar and oil.

I appreciate the differences between lettuces and like them mixed
together also... I'll eat anything but head lettuce, because I HATE
head lettuce. I love designer greens (mixes). Trader Joe's "Herb
Salad Mix" mix
(http://www.cravingideas.com/.a/6a00d...26e4970c-500wi)
is really, really good. I'm the person who feels the same way about
squash. I can eat a different squash 5 days out of 7 for months and
never feel like I'm "eating squash *again*".

My standard dressing (home made) isn't creamy either. It's a
vinaigrette with Italian herbs and garlic.

> as for celery sticks, I am in love with this stuff from Costco
> 'Skotidakis Jalepeno Yogurt Dip made with strained Greek yogurt '
> 50 calories for 2 tablespoons

Not a big dip person. I bought one weeks ago and it's still sitting
in my refrigerator unopened.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/4/2012 2:04 PM, Mike Muth wrote:
> Nancy > wrote:
>

>> I only really eat plain celery hearts. Otherwise I don't eat
>> celery by itself, only as an ingredient.

> I had celery with my breakfast this morning. Scrambled eggs, bacon,
> celery, bratwurst, low-carb yogurt, and coffee.

When I go out for breakfast, I generally choose a garden omelet
that includes celery. The idea of just having some celery with
my bacon strikes me funny, but then you had a lot of items for
breakfast! What the heck, throw in some crunchy celery.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 11:25:20 -0800, sf > wrote:
snip

>Not a big dip person. I bought one weeks ago and it's still sitting
>in my refrigerator unopened.

that's what my husband says also (nor am I), but he loves the stuff
spread on his sandwich instead of mayo or other and it makes a nice
healthy lunch or snack for me.
Janet us

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young > wrote:

> On 2/4/2012 2:04 PM, Mike Muth wrote:

<snip>

>> I had celery with my breakfast this morning. Scrambled eggs, bacon,
>> celery, bratwurst, low-carb yogurt, and coffee.

> When I go out for breakfast, I generally choose a garden omelet
> that includes celery. The idea of just having some celery with
> my bacon strikes me funny, but then you had a lot of items for
> breakfast! What the heck, throw in some crunchy celery.

Breakfast is usually my biggest meal of the day.

--
Mike
http://www.facebook.com/groups/mikes.place.bar/
http://forums.delphiforums.com/mikes_place1/start
My Amazon.com author page: http://tinyurl.com/695lgym
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/4/2012 4:47 PM, Mike Muth wrote:
> Nancy > wrote:
>
>> On 2/4/2012 2:04 PM, Mike Muth wrote:

> <snip>
>
>>> I had celery with my breakfast this morning. Scrambled eggs, bacon,
>>> celery, bratwurst, low-carb yogurt, and coffee.

>> When I go out for breakfast, I generally choose a garden omelet
>> that includes celery. The idea of just having some celery with
>> my bacon strikes me funny, but then you had a lot of items for
>> breakfast! What the heck, throw in some crunchy celery.

> Breakfast is usually my biggest meal of the day.

I promise I wasn't being snarky. (laugh) Just if you
had bacon and celery alone, I might think that's strange.
But you had more of a brunch almost. Sounds good to me.

I was never much of a breakfast eater, now I just don't
feel great if I don't have a little something. Still, it's
only maybe a yogurt with some fruit and nuts or something,
maybe eggs and toast once in a while. Or oatmeal cookies.
Heh.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young > wrote:

<snip>

> I promise I wasn't being snarky.

I didn't think you were.

(laugh) Just if you
> had bacon and celery alone, I might think that's strange.
> But you had more of a brunch almost. Sounds good to me.

A while ago, I thought about our choice of dishes at a given meal. Really,
there is no good dietary reason for our choice of what we eat. Breakfast
has turned into a "I need something quick to get me started" rush job. I'm
retired now and have the time to make it a real meal.

> I was never much of a breakfast eater, now I just don't
> feel great if I don't have a little something. Still, it's
> only maybe a yogurt with some fruit and nuts or something,
> maybe eggs and toast once in a while. Or oatmeal cookies.
> Heh.

I used to eat that way.

--
Mike
http://www.facebook.com/groups/mikes.place.bar/
http://forums.delphiforums.com/mikes_place1/start
My Amazon.com author page: http://tinyurl.com/695lgym
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in news:k2tqi7lf2h4hs3527fr09h25qpu4ah16gn@
4ax.com:

> On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 14:37:46 GMT, "I'm back on the laptop"
> > wrote:
>

>> Going to be doing the same for the next 6-12 months..... but we call
>> then 'garage sales'. We've just bought a house. Settlement is on
>> Valentines Day.

> FYI - the difference between them over here is if the stuff you're
> selling is in a garage (easier because you just open and close the
> door) or in the yard (not so easy because you have to pack, unpack and
> then do it again if it's a two day sale). I have to have yard sales
> because my garage is off an easement in back of the house. It's a lot
> of work, so I don't do it anymore.

Yep, figgered that........ but 'garage sale' over here is a generic term
used for any sale you have at your house that involves you selling your
goods. I've had a 'garage sale' on my verandah, most people put the stuff
into their yard..... the only time someone actually uses a garage is if it
looks like rain, and most times they will just put the gear under their
house (most houses over here are above ground).

--
Peter
Tasmania
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> At least he has lots of company. He's very social and chatty so now he
> has lots of people to talk to and since he's in the memory ward, they
> can all talk about the same things day after day and nobody remembers...
>
> I really had no choice and am not happy about it, but at least he's
> close by and on my way home from work so I visit him nearly every day.

That's so nice that you visit him most days. That's the most important
thing. :-D Too many ppl put their parents into a home and rarely visit.

Gary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

>I'll eat celery plain sometimes with a little salt and maybe some
>pepper. It's also good steamed in large pieces as a side dish.

Celery braised in chicken stock with 'shrooms... I often make this
with ramen.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 8, 9:07*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>
> >I'll eat celery plain sometimes with a little salt and maybe some
> >pepper. *It's also good steamed in large pieces as a side dish.

> Celery braised in chicken stock with 'shrooms... I often make this
> with ramen.

Calling any mushrooms other than Psilocybes, "'shrooms," makes you
look like an old man who is trying to seem hip.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 08:32:02 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article
>,
> merryb > wrote:
>
>> > I'm cooking tonight for myself for the first time in a couple of months.
>> > Shiratake noodles with a little Marinara, sliced mushrooms, some small
>> > sausage balls and Asparagus was $1.47 today so I'm adding some of that
>> > on the side.
>> > --
>> > Peace, Om

>> Is your Dad okay? Hope so...

>Sort of. Better off where he is actually. He finally took to wandering
>off and getting lost. A big danger of becoming an Amber Alert.
>
>The second time the cops picked him up, they threatened to call Adult
>Protective Services. <sighs> I could no longer keep him safe here as
>adult home care is prohibitively expensive. Medicaid picks up half the
>bill for assisted living.
>
>At least he has lots of company. He's very social and chatty so now he
>has lots of people to talk to and since he's in the memory ward, they
>can all talk about the same things day after day and nobody remembers...

Hmm, like rfc! hehe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bwrrrryan wrote:
> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Omelet wrote:
>>
>> >I'll eat celery plain sometimes with a little salt and maybe some
>> >pepper. *It's also good steamed in large pieces as a side dish.

>> Celery braised in chicken stock with 'shrooms... I often make this
>> with ramen.

>Calling any mushrooms other than Psilocybes, "'shrooms," makes you
>look like an old man who is trying to seem hip.

I'd rather be an old MAN than a queer, Bwrrrryan.

How to overcome the negative perceptions of coupon redemption [email protected][_1_] General Cooking 6 19-09-2008 05:47 PM
Negative Calorie Food jago General Cooking 3 08-02-2007 05:46 AM
Calories Tom Winemaking 6 22-11-2006 12:21 AM
Just How Many Calories, Then? NYC XYZ Vegan 51 17-11-2006 05:12 PM
Calories Andy Petro Preserving 9 14-08-2004 12:59 PM