Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Corn breadsticks

Very very crispy. Good for appetizer or in place of bread.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/cimg0241c.jpg/

Here the recipe for those interested
Cheers
Pandora

CORN BREADSTICK Pandora

Category: Pane e pizze
Yield: 6 servings
Preparation time: 1 hour
Total time: 2 hours
Source: Pandora

200 gr corn flour - the finest one
150 gr. Farina00
7 gr brewer's yeast - liophilized
1tsp sugar
8gr. salt
2TBSP oil - evo
150 ml.water acqua - lukewarm

Mix flours with salt and then make the fountain. In the center put
yeast with sugar, oil and few water at a time. Mix well with your
hands and make a ball.
Roll out the dough in a rectangule shape (about 1 cm. thickness). Oil
the surface with a brush and then spread with some corn flour and some
salt. Cover with a film and let rise for about one hour. Cut your
breadsticks with a knife, beginnin from the shorter side. Roll them
(very gently) on the rolling board in order to lenghten them a little.
Put breadsticks in a baking pan and let them rise another time for
about 30'. Put in preheat oven (200°C-400° F) for about 20 minutes.
They must be golden.
Eat when they are cool! Days after they are crispier!

Nutritional facts per serving (daily value): Calories 167.857kcal;
Protein 1.863g (4%); Total Fat 5.005g (8%)(Sat. 0.391g (2%)); Chol.
0mg (0%); Carb. 28.283g (9%); Fiber 0.633g (3%); Sugars 0.912g;
Calcium 0.994mg (0%); Iron 0.308mg (2%); Sodium 517.114mg (22%); Vit.
C 0mg (0%); Vit. A 71.333IU (1%); Trans fat 0.018g
----------

Esportato da Shop'NCook Menu 4.0

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 08:30:14 -0800 (PST), Pandora >
wrote:

> Very very crispy. Good for appetizer or in place of bread.
>
> http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/cimg0241c.jpg/
>
> Here the recipe for those interested
> Cheers
> Pandora
>
> CORN BREADSTICK Pandora

<snip>
> Eat when they are cool! Days after they are crispier!

Thanks Pandora, copied and saved. I think I've seen that type of corn
flour under the brand name Bob's Red Mill over here. I can also get
it from the bulk bin at my green grocer, but it's not as common as all
purpose and cake flour are - yet.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:08:40 -0800 (PST), Pandora >
wrote:

> On 17 Gen, 18:26, sf > wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 08:30:14 -0800 (PST), Pandora >

> > Thanks Pandora, copied and saved. *I think I've seen that type of corn
> > flour under the brand name Bob's Red Mill over here. *I can also get
> > it from the bulk bin at my green grocer, but it's not as common as all
> > purpose and cake flour are - yet.
> > --
> >

> Thank you sf! I thought Usa was the native land of corn....and simple
> to find all kinds of corn flour

Cornmeal/polenta is the most common form. The grind that's a dead
ringer for regular flour (only it's yellow) hasn't found a large
audience here. I only discovered it a couple of years ago, but this
article make it sound like Southerners have been using it longer
(although I don't recall seeing it mentioned here).
<http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2010/04/a-bakers-well-kept-secret-corn-flour/39689/>
I don't know how well it substitutes for regular flour when baking.
That's something I need to find out.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2012 9:53 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:08:40 -0800 (PST), >
> wrote:
>
>> On 17 Gen, 18:26, > wrote:
>>> On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 08:30:14 -0800 (PST), >

>>> Thanks Pandora, copied and saved. I think I've seen that type of corn
>>> flour under the brand name Bob's Red Mill over here. I can also get
>>> it from the bulk bin at my green grocer, but it's not as common as all
>>> purpose and cake flour are - yet.
>>> --
>>>

>> Thank you sf! I thought Usa was the native land of corn....and simple
>> to find all kinds of corn flour

> Cornmeal/polenta is the most common form. The grind that's a dead
> ringer for regular flour (only it's yellow) hasn't found a large
> audience here. I only discovered it a couple of years ago, but this
> article make it sound like Southerners have been using it longer
> (although I don't recall seeing it mentioned here).
> <http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2010/04/a-bakers-well-kept-secret-corn-flour/39689/>
> I don't know how well it substitutes for regular flour when baking.
> That's something I need to find out.

It lacks gluten, so not too good for yeast breads.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 17, 12:08*pm, Pandora > wrote:

> On 17 Gen, 18:26, sf > wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 08:30:14 -0800 (PST), Pandora

> > I think I've seen that type of corn
> > flour under the brand name Bob's Red Mill over here. *I can also get
> > it from the bulk bin at my green grocer, but it's not as common as all
> > purpose and cake flour are - yet.
> >

> I thought Usa was the native land of corn....and simple
> to find all kinds of corn flour
> Cheers
> Pandora

I've never seen corn flour in the grocery store, but then again I
haven't looked for it. Cornmeal, yes, corn flour, no.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
Pandora >
> wrote:

>> > Thanks Pandora, copied and saved. I think I've seen that type of corn
>> > flour under the brand name Bob's Red Mill over here.

>> Thank you sf! I thought Usa was the native land of corn....and simple
>> to find all kinds of corn flour

> Cornmeal/polenta is the most common form. The grind that's a dead
> ringer for regular flour (only it's yellow) hasn't found a large
> audience here. I only discovered it a couple of years ago, but this
> article make it sound like Southerners have been using it longer
> (although I don't recall seeing it mentioned here).

What about masa harina? It would certainly taste good. Not easy to find
here, but common in the usa.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 09:32:21 +0100, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora >

> >> Thank you sf! I thought Usa was the native land of corn....and simple
> >> to find all kinds of corn flour

> > Cornmeal/polenta is the most common form. The grind that's a dead
> > ringer for regular flour (only it's yellow) hasn't found a large
> > audience here. I only discovered it a couple of years ago, but this
> > article make it sound like Southerners have been using it longer
> > (although I don't recall seeing it mentioned here).

> What about masa harina? It would certainly taste good. Not easy to find
> here, but common in the usa.

Masa has been around a long time, but it's no substitute for corn
flour.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha

"Giusi" >
> wrote:

>> What about masa harina? It would certainly taste good. Not easy to find
>> here, but common in the usa.
>>

> Masa has been around a long time, but it's no substitute for corn
> flour.

But it IS a distinctive corn flour.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 21:23:17 +0100, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "sf" > ha
>
> "Giusi" >
> > wrote:

> >> What about masa harina? It would certainly taste good. Not easy to find
> >> here, but common in the usa.
> >>

> > Masa has been around a long time, but it's no substitute for corn
> > flour.

> But it IS a distinctive corn flour.

Not to me. Masa is masa, not corn flour and they have different
purposes.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Not to me. Masa is masa, not corn flour and they have different
> purposes.

My spanish is shaky, but I think masa is corn and harina is flour. To me it
would be worth a try if only for how delicious it is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 07:13:22 +0100, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > Not to me. Masa is masa, not corn flour and they have different
> > purposes.

> My spanish is shaky, but I think masa is corn and harina is flour. To me it
> would be worth a try if only for how delicious it is.

Why?

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
"Giusi" >
> wrote:
>> > Not to me. Masa is masa, not corn flour and they have different
>> > purposes.

>> My spanish is shaky, but I think masa is corn and harina is flour. To me
>> it
>> would be worth a try if only for how delicious it is.
>>

> Why?

"for how delicious it is."
Let's be honest. Neither of us really knows what Pandora means by corn
flour. There is no such product on the shelves of my supermarket. At Rome
they sell more things, but since corn is rarely used for bready things here,
I have my doubts that she means somethiong other than fine corn meal which
IS on the supermarket shelf. That said, what is wrong with the idea of
using masa harina?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

>>> My spanish is shaky, but I think masa is corn and harina is flour. To
>>> me it would be worth a try if only for how delicious it is.
>>>

>> Why?

> "for how delicious it is."
> Let's be honest. Neither of us really knows what Pandora means by corn
> flour. There is no such product on the shelves of my supermarket. At
> Rome they sell more things, but since corn is rarely used for bready
> things here, I have my doubts that she means somethiong other than fine
> corn meal which IS on the supermarket shelf. That said, what is wrong
> with the idea of using masa harina?

Masa harina is dried hominy ground extremely fine. If you like hominy more
than you like "normal" corn, then you might like the masa harina version. I
for one like normal corn a *lot* more than I like hominy.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > ha scritto nel messaggio >
Masa harina is dried hominy ground extremely fine. If you like hominy more
> than you like "normal" corn, then you might like the masa harina version.
> I for one like normal corn a *lot* more than I like hominy.

Why can I not like both? Are you sure about what flour Pandora meant?
Share!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi replied:

>> Masa harina is dried hominy ground extremely fine. If you like hominy
>> more than you like "normal" corn, then you might like the masa harina
>> version. I for one like normal corn a *lot* more than I like hominy.

> Why can I not like both?

You *can* like both. I'm just pointing out that they're very different
flavors, so that if you know how you feel about hominy, you can possibly
avoid disappointment.

> Are you sure about what flour Pandora meant? Share!

I'm sure I know what masa harina is. I'm guessing that Pandora's "cornflour"
was finely-ground cornmeal rather than finely-ground hominy, because there's
a lot more of the cornmeal stuff around than the hominy stuff. Also, when
someone posted a picture of Bob's Red Mill (yellow) cornflour in a
discussion elsewhere about Pandora's breadsticks, Pandora agreed that it was
like the product she'd used.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> I'm sure I know what masa harina is. I'm guessing that Pandora's
> "cornflour" was finely-ground cornmeal rather than finely-ground hominy,
> because there's a lot more of the cornmeal stuff around than the hominy
> stuff. Also, when someone posted a picture of Bob's Red Mill (yellow)
> cornflour in a discussion elsewhere about Pandora's breadsticks, Pandora
> agreed that it was like the product she'd used.

That's my point really. We are all guessing. There is no product called
corn flour at my biggest Italian supermarket so I presumed it was fine corn
meal. How would you know by looking at a picture?

I knew she hadn't used masa harina, I just suggested it might work and be
nice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

>> I'm sure I know what masa harina is. I'm guessing that Pandora's
>> "cornflour" was finely-ground cornmeal rather than finely-ground hominy,
>> because there's a lot more of the cornmeal stuff around than the hominy
>> stuff. Also, when someone posted a picture of Bob's Red Mill (yellow)
>> cornflour in a discussion elsewhere about Pandora's breadsticks, Pandora
>> agreed that it was like the product she'd used.

> That's my point really. We are all guessing. There is no product called
> corn flour at my biggest Italian supermarket so I presumed it was fine
> corn meal. How would you know by looking at a picture?

Because it's yellow. Masa harina is white.

> I knew she hadn't used masa harina, I just suggested it might work and be
> nice.

It might be nice *if* you like hominy. But I'd guess that hominy-lovers are
outnumbered even by beet-lovers.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > ha scritto nel messaggio >
It might be nice *if* you like hominy. But I'd guess that hominy-lovers are
> outnumbered even by beet-lovers.

You think? You wouldn't believe what I pay for it in Rome or Florence. You
cannot buy corn tortillas here so you must have it and make them. You
actually cannot buy any good tortillas of any stripe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Not to me. Masa is masa, not corn flour and they have different
>> purposes.

>My spanish is shaky, but I think masa is corn and harina is flour. To me it
>would be worth a try if only for how delicious it is.

Maiz is corn. Masa means dough according to my Spanish dictionary.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 Gen, 03:53, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:08:40 -0800 (PST), Pandora >
> wrote:
>
> > On 17 Gen, 18:26, sf > wrote:
> > > On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 08:30:14 -0800 (PST), Pandora >

> > > Thanks Pandora, copied and saved. *I think I've seen that type of corn
> > > flour under the brand name Bob's Red Mill over here. *I can also get
> > > it from the bulk bin at my green grocer, but it's not as common as all
> > > purpose and cake flour are - yet.
> > > --

> > Thank you sf! I thought Usa was the native land of corn....and simple
> > to find all kinds of corn flour

> Cornmeal/polenta is the most common form. *The grind that's a dead
> ringer for regular flour (only it's yellow) hasn't found a large
> audience here. *I only discovered it a couple of years ago, but this
> article make it sound like Southerners have been using it longer
> (although I don't recall seeing it mentioned here).
> <http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2010/04/a-bakers-well-kept-...>
> I don't know how well it substitutes for regular flour when baking.
> That's something I mivmtineed to find out.
> --
>
> Ham and eggs.
> A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

Unfortunately I can't see the link. I will try later. I know that
Cornflour must be mixed with normal flour beacause it is too heavy to
rise well alone

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Gen, 09:59, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Giusi replied:
>
> >> Masa harina is dried hominy ground extremely fine. If you like hominy
> >> more than you like "normal" corn, then you might like the masa harina
> >> version. I for one like normal corn a *lot* more than I like hominy.

> > Why can I not like both?

> You *can* like both. I'm just pointing out that they're very different
> flavors, so that if you know how you feel about hominy, you can possibly
> avoid disappointment.
>
> > Are you sure about what flour Pandora meant? Share!

> I'm sure I know what masa harina is. I'm guessing that Pandora's "cornflour"
> was finely-ground cornmeal rather than finely-ground hominy, because there's
> a lot more of the cornmeal stuff around than the hominy stuff. Also, when
> someone posted a picture of Bob's Red Mill (yellow) cornflour in a
> discussion elsewhere about Pandora's breadsticks, Pandora agreed that it was
> like the product she'd used.
>
> Bob

I don't know what is *hominy* but I can sure the cornmeal I mean is
ony finely-ground cornmeal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pandora" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> I don't know what is *hominy* but I can sure the cornmeal I mean is
> ony finely-ground cornmeal.

Sometime when you have the chance to come here I will introduce you to it.
I knew that wasn't what you used, but I think one could use it. The
difference is a lye treatnent whioch causes the corn/mais to release more
complete proteins and also gives a very different taste. BTW I have just
arranged to pick up some Peruvian supples in Madrid where my Peruvian friend
will be joining me in March!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 08:37:01 +0100, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> >>
> >> My spanish is shaky, but I think masa is corn and harina is flour. To me
> >> it
> >> would be worth a try if only for how delicious it is.
> >>

> > Why?

> "for how delicious it is."
> Let's be honest. Neither of us really knows what Pandora means by corn
> flour. There is no such product on the shelves of my supermarket. At Rome
> they sell more things, but since corn is rarely used for bready things here,
> I have my doubts that she means somethiong other than fine corn meal which
> IS on the supermarket shelf. That said, what is wrong with the idea of
> using masa harina?

Let's not get off track into products of other countries. This isn't
Europe where going to another country is like us going to another
state.

I don't have a problem buying corn that has been ground into flour and
it's not masa harina, which has been processed with lime before
grinding. I've even posted in the past about how "corny" the corn
flour tastes, much more so than masa harina (IMO). My comment was
that I'd only seen it in the last couple of years and so far no one,
not even Southerners, have said otherwise.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 09:20:03 +0100, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "Bob Terwilliger" > ha scritto nel messaggio >
> Masa harina is dried hominy ground extremely fine. If you like hominy more
> > than you like "normal" corn, then you might like the masa harina version.
> > I for one like normal corn a *lot* more than I like hominy.

> Why can I not like both? Are you sure about what flour Pandora meant?
> Share!

The point is that masa is *not* corn flour.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 00:59:46 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> Also, when
> someone posted a picture of Bob's Red Mill (yellow) cornflour in a
> discussion elsewhere about Pandora's breadsticks, Pandora agreed that it was
> like the product she'd used.

I missed that.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 05:07:37 -0800 (PST), Pandora >
wrote:

> Unfortunately I can't see the link. I will try later. I know that
> Cornflour must be mixed with normal flour beacause it is too heavy to
> rise well alone

Yes, that's commonly done here too. The amount of flour and sugar (a
very controversial ingredient) varies according to cooks and regions.

Tangentially: I bought a package of (Trader Joe's brand for Americans)
cornbread mix for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it was the
most cloyingly sweet, cake like cornbread I've ever eaten. I hated
it, but my husband loved it and wants me to buy it again. For those
who hate Jiffy Mix (which I like), this is exponentially worse.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> I don't have a problem buying corn that has been ground into flour and
> it's not masa harina, which has been processed with lime before
> grinding.

I never said Pandora used masa, I knew she didn't. You don't have a
problem buying a fine flour made of corn that is not corn meal but we in
Italy would. I have never seen it here. We can buy different grinds of
cornmeal all called polenta, although it is possible that in Rome or Torino
something else is also sold. I have never seen it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 05:13:05 -0800 (PST) in rec.food.cooking, Pandora
> wrote,
>
>I don't know what is *hominy* but I can sure the cornmeal I mean is
>ony finely-ground cornmeal.

Hominy is nixtamalized whole kernel corn. Masa harina is finely ground
nixtamilized corn.

"Corn flour" is also a UK/British misnomer for cornstarch.

Plain finely ground corn flour, like you describe, is hard to find here,
unfortunately.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 18:49:18 +0100, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > I don't have a problem buying corn that has been ground into flour and
> > it's not masa harina, which has been processed with lime before
> > grinding.

> I never said Pandora used masa, I knew she didn't. You don't have a
> problem buying a fine flour made of corn that is not corn meal but we in
> Italy would. I have never seen it here.

That's why I asked *what kind* it was, but I still haven't heard from
Pandora. Posting a photo of a package of Bob's Red Mill corn flour
was probably less than helpful to her. How is she supposed to know
what's inside?

> We can buy different grinds of
> cornmeal all called polenta, although it is possible that in Rome or Torino
> something else is also sold. I have never seen it.

Pandora is in Rome, so I still don't know then.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 09:56:27 -0800, David Harmon >
wrote:

> "Corn flour" is also a UK/British misnomer for cornstarch.

I believe they call it cornflour, not corn flour... like we say
cornstarch, not corn starch.

> Plain finely ground corn flour, like you describe, is hard to find here,
> unfortunately.

Okay, thanks. I'm not nuts.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/19/2012 11:57 AM, sf wrote:

> I don't have a problem buying corn that has been ground into flour and
> it's not masa harina, which has been processed with lime before
> grinding. I've even posted in the past about how "corny" the corn
> flour tastes, much more so than masa harina (IMO). My comment was
> that I'd only seen it in the last couple of years and so far no one,
> not even Southerners, have said otherwise.

I thought it was processed with lye, not lime.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 20:27:26 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

> On 1/19/2012 11:57 AM, sf wrote:
>
> > I don't have a problem buying corn that has been ground into flour and
> > it's not masa harina, which has been processed with lime before
> > grinding. I've even posted in the past about how "corny" the corn
> > flour tastes, much more so than masa harina (IMO). My comment was
> > that I'd only seen it in the last couple of years and so far no one,
> > not even Southerners, have said otherwise.

> I thought it was processed with lye, not lime.

It is. My brain and fingers weren't communicating.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl > wrote:

>On 1/19/2012 11:57 AM, sf wrote:

>> I don't have a problem buying corn that has been ground into flour and
>> it's not masa harina, which has been processed with lime before
>> grinding. I've even posted in the past about how "corny" the corn
>> flour tastes, much more so than masa harina (IMO). My comment was
>> that I'd only seen it in the last couple of years and so far no one,
>> not even Southerners, have said otherwise.

>I thought it was processed with lye, not lime.

Both are used for nixtamalization, but I think typical masa harina
uses lime. Corn tortilla packages often list lime as an ingredient.

Steve

sourdough breadsticks Mark Thorson General Cooking 5 24-05-2012 09:47 PM
Soft Breadsticks Tim Recipes 0 11-06-2005 11:40 AM
pesto breadsticks jdeg Baking 0 09-11-2004 01:47 PM
Re French Breadsticks ray Baking 6 18-03-2004 01:35 PM
Breadsticks like Little Caesar's? Dave K. General Cooking 0 30-09-2003 09:15 PM