Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default TV Dinners

Haven't had one in I don't know how long.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 15:38:46 -0800 (PST), Chemo the Clown
> wrote:

> Haven't had one in I don't know how long.

In terms of years or decades?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2011 7:24 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 15:38:46 -0800 (PST), Chemo the Clown
> > wrote:
>
>> Haven't had one in I don't know how long.

> In terms of years or decades?

It's said that Japanese invented TV dinners in the form of Bento Boxes.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 29, 4:24*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 15:38:46 -0800 (PST), Chemo the Clown
>
> > wrote:
> > Haven't had one in I don't know how long.

> In terms of years or decades?
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

Decades for sure...probably back in the 60's.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown wrote:

> On Nov 29, 4:24 pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 15:38:46 -0800 (PST), Chemo the Clown
> >
> > > wrote:
> > > Haven't had one in I don't know how long.

> > In terms of years or decades?

> Decades for sure...probably back in the 60's.

Those were analog TV dinners.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 29, 5:38*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> Haven't had one in I don't know how long.

I had a $1.00 Banquet Salsbury "steak" meal with mashed potatoes and
corn last night. It wasn't the kind of thing Mario Batali would
create.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemo the Clown" > wrote in message
On Nov 29, 4:24 pm, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 15:38:46 -0800 (PST), Chemo the Clown
>
> > wrote:
> > Haven't had one in I don't know how long.

> In terms of years or decades?
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

Decades for sure...probably back in the 60's.

We ate them at least weekly then. Maybe into the early 70's. Except for
the period of time when my parents were on Weight Watchers.

I do remember buying a few for cheap when I got my first house after I was
married. Military housing and our possessions hadn't arrived yet. And once
when pregnant I got one with little tacos in it. But mostly I don't buy
them because they're not very good or good for you.

I do buy frozen foods on occasion. But when I eat those things I always
round out the meal with a salad or other things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 17:14:42 -0800 (PST), Christopher Helms
> wrote:

>On Nov 29, 5:38*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
>> Haven't had one in I don't know how long.

>I had a $1.00 Banquet Salsbury "steak" meal with mashed potatoes and
>corn last night. It wasn't the kind of thing Mario Batali would
>create.

When they are on sale for $2.50, I buy a few Stouffer's brand and keep
them in the freezer at work. IMO, they are good for the price. I
probably eat one a month or so when I don't have a lunch to take from
home.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 29, 7:04*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Chemo the Clown wrote:
>
> > On Nov 29, 4:24 pm, sf > wrote:
> > > On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 15:38:46 -0800 (PST), Chemo the Clown

> > > In terms of years or decades?

> > Decades for sure...probably back in the 60's.

> Those were analog TV dinners.

They definitely tasted a lot warmer back then.

-J
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemo the Clown" > wrote in message
> Haven't had one in I don't know how long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1nMC6kLOYA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 16:55:21 -0800 (PST), Chemo the Clown
> wrote:

> On Nov 29, 4:24*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 15:38:46 -0800 (PST), Chemo the Clown
> >
> > > wrote:
> > > Haven't had one in I don't know how long.

> > In terms of years or decades?
> >
> > --
> > Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

> Decades for sure...probably back in the 60's.

Okay then I can give you an update as of the '80s. They've improved.
Maybe not all of them, but what I tried and remember, they improved.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leon Manfredi" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 17:14:42 -0800 (PST), Christopher Helms
> >
> wrote:
>
>>On Nov 29, 5:38 pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
>>> Haven't had one in I don't know how long.

>>I had a $1.00 Banquet Salsbury "steak" meal with mashed potatoes and
>>corn last night. It wasn't the kind of thing Mario Batali would
>>create.

> Make your own, with ground beef, few Tbs finely chopped onion, salt as
> needed,
> and small amount of squeezed moistened bread (will tenderize), and as
> little or as
> much poultry seasoning as you'd like, also added to your mushroom gravy,
> made by
> sauteing mushrooms in butter, and then sprinkling with flour, then beef
> broth.
> Upon semi pan frying the patties, place salted pre boiled onion rings on
> them, a
> splash of soy sauce, and simmer till nicely done in mushroom gravy...
> Now go with mashed potatoes and veggies... I like mine also with a
> sandwich sized
> buttered English Muffin on the side..... As well!

My brother doesn't do a lot of cooking but this was probably the first thing
he learned to make. He often made it when we had company coming.

The best place I ever ate it at was the South Shore Cafe in Alameda CA. I
don't think they used any fillers in their meat. Huge meat patty topped
with onions, bell peppers, mushrooms and gravy. I've tried to recreate it
at home but the flavor just wasn't quite right.

That was a strange restaurant. Some Thai food but the rest was American.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 17:14:42 -0800 (PST), Christopher Helms
> > wrote:
>
>>On Nov 29, 5:38 pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
>>> Haven't had one in I don't know how long.

>>I had a $1.00 Banquet Salsbury "steak" meal with mashed potatoes and
>>corn last night. It wasn't the kind of thing Mario Batali would
>>create.

> When they are on sale for $2.50, I buy a few Stouffer's brand and keep
> them in the freezer at work. IMO, they are good for the price. I
> probably eat one a month or so when I don't have a lunch to take from
> home.

I've bought the OnCor Salisbury Steaks. Not gourmet food by any means but
cheap and edible. I used to buy them when I was cooking for my MIL because
she tends to choke on food if it isn't soft. She was able to eat this if
they were minced up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/29/2011 6:38 PM, Chemo the Clown wrote:
> Haven't had one in I don't know how long.

You could easily recreate the experience by going to any big box
restaurant (better if you choose one that includes words such as "your
neighborhood place" in their marketing)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 29, 6:38*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> Haven't had one in I don't know how long.

Not since the fifties or maybe early sixties. Horrible.
A guy asked me out once and said " We could go back to MY place for a
tv dinner". End of THAT conversation.

Talk about nostalgia - who remembers those 10 cent Table Talk pies?
Individual pies, of course. I think the biggie was 50 cents?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 29, 8:14*pm, Christopher Helms > wrote:
> On Nov 29, 5:38*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
>
> > Haven't had one in I don't know how long.

> I had a $1.00 Banquet Salsbury "steak" meal with mashed potatoes and
> corn last night. It wasn't the kind of thing Mario Batali would
> create.

Actually, I had one of those about two weeks ago. The box looked
really nice and I thought "how bad could it be"? Got it home and
noticed the "steak" is mechanically seperated pork, beef and chicken.
I still ate it. It wasn't disgusting. It certainly wasn't good, but
I've had worse.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 29, 9:01*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Chemo the Clown" > wrote in ...
> On Nov 29, 4:24 pm, sf > wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 15:38:46 -0800 (PST), Chemo the Clown

> > > wrote:
> > > Haven't had one in I don't know how long.

> > In terms of years or decades?

> > --
> > Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

> Decades for sure...probably back in the 60's.
>
> We ate them at least weekly then. *Maybe into the early 70's. *Except for
> the period of time when my parents were on Weight Watchers.
>
> I do remember buying a few for cheap when I got my first house after I was
> married. *Military housing and our possessions hadn't arrived yet. *And once
> when pregnant I got one with little tacos in it. *But mostly I don't buy
> them because they're not very good or good for you.
>
> I do buy frozen foods on occasion. *But when I eat those things I always
> round out the meal with a salad or other things.

Yet your health is totally shot. Ever wonder?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 29, 10:15*pm, Leon Manfredi > wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 17:14:42 -0800 (PST), Christopher *Helms >
> wrote:
>
> >On Nov 29, 5:38*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> >> Haven't had one in I don't know how long.

> >I had a $1.00 Banquet Salsbury "steak" meal with mashed potatoes and
> >corn last night. It wasn't the kind of thing Mario Batali would
> >create.

> Make your own, with ground beef, few Tbs finely chopped onion, salt as needed,
> and small amount of squeezed moistened bread (will tenderize), and as little or as
> much poultry seasoning as you'd like, also added to your mushroom gravy, made by
> sauteing mushrooms in butter, and then sprinkling with flour, then beef broth.
> Upon semi pan frying the patties, place salted pre boiled onion rings on them, a
> splash of soy sauce, and simmer till nicely done in mushroom gravy...
> Now go with mashed potatoes and veggies... I like mine also with a sandwich sized
> buttered English Muffin on the side..... As well!

Dude. It was $1. You gotta try it just to say you did.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 29, 10:46*pm, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 17:14:42 -0800 (PST), Christopher *Helms
>
> > wrote:
> >On Nov 29, 5:38*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> >> Haven't had one in I don't know how long.

> >I had a $1.00 Banquet Salsbury "steak" meal with mashed potatoes and
> >corn last night. It wasn't the kind of thing Mario Batali would
> >create.

> When they are on sale for $2.50, I buy a few Stouffer's brand and keep
> them in the freezer at work. *IMO, they are good for the price. *I
> probably eat one a month or so when I don't have a lunch to take from
> home.

Yeah, Stouffer's is a few rungs up the food chain from banquet.

No TV Dinners without TV [email protected] General Cooking 0 20-02-2013 04:30 AM
TV dinners Anon Diabetic 61 16-02-2007 08:25 PM
How do your dinners come together? Ludmillia General Cooking 9 31-08-2006 11:55 PM
How do your dinners come together? Ludmillia General Cooking 1 28-08-2006 01:15 PM