Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT - pending surgery

So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation at
L5-S1. And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar disks
and joints due to the instability of my spine. No frickin wonder I'm in
such pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I get an
epidural on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I can do the
surgery. *heavy sigh*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 22, 11:47*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
> diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation at
> L5-S1. *And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar disks
> and joints due to the instability of my spine. *No frickin wonder I'm in
> such pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I get an
> epidural on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I can do the
> surgery. **heavy sigh*

Oh that does sound painful. When do they want to do surgery??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 00:47:36 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

> So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
> diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation at
> L5-S1. And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar disks
> and joints due to the instability of my spine. No frickin wonder I'm in
> such pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I get an
> epidural on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I can do the
> surgery. *heavy sigh*

Back surgery is never fun. Hopefully it relieves your pain. Good
luck with it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2011 12:47 AM, Cheryl wrote:

> So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
> diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation at
> L5-S1. And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar disks and
> joints due to the instability of my spine.

Wow. That's a lot of pain, were you in a train wreck? Ouch.

> No frickin wonder I'm in such
> pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I get an epidural
> on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I can do the surgery.
> *heavy sigh*

All my good thoughts are headed your way, they'll fix this, then you
can get back to your life.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 22, 11:47*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
> diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation at
> L5-S1. *And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar disks
> and joints due to the instability of my spine. *No frickin wonder I'm in
> such pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I get an
> epidural on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I can do the
> surgery. **heavy sigh*

Wow Cheryl. Yeah that sounds like hell on Earth. I'm sorry.

Why can't you get the surgery done ASAP? There are some great
osteopathic/neuropathic surgeons, make sure you get a good team. I did
most of my my nursing clinicals on an osteopathic floor and my
preceptorship on a neurosurgery floor, so I know. They can go in and
rebuild your spine quite well. It'll be a little pit of a project for
you (hospitalization, surgery, recovery, therapy) but in the long run
it will be worth it!

Hope the meds are managing your pain until you can get the surgery
done!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion diagnosis
> today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation at L5-S1. And
> a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar disks and joints due
> to the instability of my spine. No frickin wonder I'm in such pain. Just
> sort of venting and thinking and planning. I get an epidural on Friday and
> on a neuralpathic med for now until I can do the surgery. *heavy sigh*

Good luck Cheryl! Come back soon with the pain relieved!!

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 8:23*am, Nancy Young <email@replyto> wrote:
> On 11/23/2011 12:47 AM, Cheryl wrote:
>
> > So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
> > diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation at
> > L5-S1. And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar disks and
> > joints due to the instability of my spine.

> Wow. *That's a lot of pain, were you in a train wreck? *Ouch.

a friend of our family was in a train wreck. it took place on park
street. that's one reason for my e-mail addy: parkStreetBooBoo...the
other reason? that info will be given out only when the time is ripe;
it may never happen. that incident ended pretty much on the railroad
tracks. to be continued...?

I saw the wreck in the morning when my school bus drove over the
tracks. I didn't realize that it was her car until I was told about
it when I got home. She spent months in the hospital getting
surgeries/corrective surgeries. She lived into her 90's.

> *> No frickin wonder I'm in such
>
> > pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I get an epidural
> > on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I can do the surgery.
> > *heavy sigh*

> All my good thoughts are headed your way, they'll fix this, then you
> can get back to your life.
>
> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
> So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
> diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation
> at L5-S1. And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar
> disks and joints due to the instability of my spine. No frickin
> wonder I'm in such pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and
> planning. I get an epidural on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for
> now until I can do the surgery. *heavy sigh*

I'm not at all suggesting our situations are similar since I don't know
yours more than the few words you've used above, but short story - if
you make your back stronger, you stand a chance of relieving your
symptoms to the point of not needing surgery insofar as the "instability
of ... [the] spine" and "failure of lumbar disks" goes. The cyst is,
I'm guessing, essentially a separate complication that might need
surgery, anyway, but that's a different surgery.

Don't want to bore the newsgroup but if you want to chat via email,
please drop a line. I was about as bad as one can be and still avoid
surgery but my doctor, who would have been my surgeon, told me to avoid
it if I could. It was a long, hard road that I'm still on but I'm very
glad for the choice I made.

Good luck, whatever happens.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
>diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation at
>L5-S1. And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar disks
>and joints due to the instability of my spine. No frickin wonder I'm in
>such pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I get an
>epidural on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I can do the
>surgery. *heavy sigh*

I'm sorry that you have to go through the surgery, but pleased that
you had a second opinion that detailed the issues. Now you 'know' and
that is important in you working toward getting better. Good luck and
best wishes. Don't listen to anyone with war stories. Just think
about you. For your hospital stay I hope the food and TV are
decent)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-11-23, Cheryl > wrote:
> such pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I get an
> epidural on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I can do the
> surgery. *heavy sigh*

I hope all goes well for you and there are no complications.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2011 9:10 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Nov 23, 8:23 am, Nancy Young<email@replyto> wrote:
>> On 11/23/2011 12:47 AM, Cheryl wrote:
>>
>>> So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
>>> diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation at
>>> L5-S1. And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar disks and
>>> joints due to the instability of my spine.

>> Wow. That's a lot of pain, were you in a train wreck? Ouch.
>>

> a friend of our family was in a train wreck. it took place on park
> street. that's one reason for my e-mail addy: parkStreetBooBoo...the
> other reason? that info will be given out only when the time is ripe;
> it may never happen. that incident ended pretty much on the railroad
> tracks. to be continued...?
>
> I saw the wreck in the morning when my school bus drove over the
> tracks. I didn't realize that it was her car until I was told about
> it when I got home. She spent months in the hospital getting
> surgeries/corrective surgeries. She lived into her 90's.

Yikes. My motto, watch out for trains, you won't win that one.

The only train wreck story I know personally did not end well at
all, a guy at work lost his son and mother. After that, hearing
Driving that train, high on cocaine had new meaning.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Train wrecks (was OT - pending surgery)

On Nov 23, 9:35*am, Nancy Young <email@replyto> wrote:
> On 11/23/2011 9:10 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:

> > a friend of our family was in a train wreck. *it took place on park
> > street. *that's one reason for my e-mail addy: *parkStreetBooBoo...the
> > other reason? *that info will be given out only when the time is ripe;
> > it may never happen. *that incident ended pretty much on the railroad
> > tracks. *to be continued...?

> > I saw the wreck in the morning when my school bus drove over the
> > tracks. *I didn't realize that it was her car until I was told about
> > it when I got home. *She spent months in the hospital getting
> > surgeries/corrective surgeries. *She lived into her 90's.

> Yikes. *My motto, watch out for trains, you won't win that one.
>
> The only train wreck story I know personally did not end well at
> all, a guy at work lost his son and mother. *After that, hearing
> Driving that train, high on cocaine had new meaning.
>
> nancy

My momma taught me a very important lesson. Never dance with a train!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 08:15:23 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Nov 23, 9:35*am, Nancy Young <email@replyto> wrote:
>> On 11/23/2011 9:10 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:

>> > a friend of our family was in a train wreck. *it took place on park
>> > street. *that's one reason for my e-mail addy: *parkStreetBooBoo...the
>> > other reason? *that info will be given out only when the time is ripe;
>> > it may never happen. *that incident ended pretty much on the railroad
>> > tracks. *to be continued...?

>> > I saw the wreck in the morning when my school bus drove over the
>> > tracks. *I didn't realize that it was her car until I was told about
>> > it when I got home. *She spent months in the hospital getting
>> > surgeries/corrective surgeries. *She lived into her 90's.

>> Yikes. *My motto, watch out for trains, you won't win that one.
>>
>> The only train wreck story I know personally did not end well at
>> all, a guy at work lost his son and mother. *After that, hearing
>> Driving that train, high on cocaine had new meaning.
>>
>> nancy

>My momma taught me a very important lesson. Never dance with a train!

Your posts are like a train wreck.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/22/2011 11:47 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
> diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation at
> L5-S1. And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar disks and
> joints due to the instability of my spine. No frickin wonder I'm in such
> pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I get an epidural
> on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I can do the surgery.
> *heavy sigh*

So sorry to hear this, Cheryl. I wish you a speedy recovery.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion diagnosis
> today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation at L5-S1. And
> a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar disks and joints due
> to the instability of my spine. No frickin wonder I'm in such pain. Just
> sort of venting and thinking and planning. I get an epidural on Friday and
> on a neuralpathic med for now until I can do the surgery. *heavy sigh*

Bummer - take the drugs they offer..

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 22, 11:47*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
> diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation at
> L5-S1. *And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar disks
> and joints due to the instability of my spine. *No frickin wonder I'm in
> such pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I get an
> epidural on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I can do the
> surgery. **heavy sigh*

I had lumbar fusion back surgery last January - for 3, 4, 5 and S1.
I had lots of arthritic growth, plus a cyst. It was easy surgery,
little pain, and recovery (back to work) was about a total of 4
weeks. The back brace was merely to remind me what not to do during
recovery, and it was so uncomfortable, the doctor tossed the rigid
part of it. Relax, it will be fine. ;-)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 12:47*am, Cheryl > wrote:
> So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
> diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation at
> L5-S1. *And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar disks
> and joints due to the instability of my spine. *No frickin wonder I'm in
> such pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I get an
> epidural on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I can do the
> surgery. **heavy sigh*

OH, good luck and best wishes! I know one person who had similar
surgery and whose life and comfort are now much improved. I wish the
same for you.

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 12:47*am, Cheryl > wrote:
> So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
> diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation at
> L5-S1. *And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar disks
> and joints due to the instability of my spine. *No frickin wonder I'm in
> such pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I get an
> epidural on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I can do the
> surgery. **heavy sigh*

Good luck and I this is the answer to your pain.

Hospital tips ( learned the hard way)
Be sure the doc leaves an order for sleeping pills in case you can't
sleep.
Sneak in a container of prunes. Nuff said.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 12:47*am, Cheryl > wrote:
> So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
> diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation at
> L5-S1. *And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar disks
> and joints due to the instability of my spine. *No frickin wonder I'm in
> such pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I get an
> epidural on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I can do the
> surgery. **heavy sigh*

Gosh, I hope you don't die. Or suffer from paralysis. That would suck.
I mean, for you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 2:48*pm, Jerry Avins > wrote:
> On Nov 23, 12:47*am, Cheryl > wrote:
>
> > So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
> > diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation at
> > L5-S1. *And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar disks
> > and joints due to the instability of my spine. *No frickin wonder I'm in
> > such pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I get an
> > epidural on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I can do the
> > surgery. **heavy sigh*

> OH, good luck and best wishes! I know one person who had similar
> surgery and whose life and comfort are now much improved. I wish the
> same for you.

See? Like I said.

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 4:35*pm, Janet > wrote:
> In article <2459e8c4-7091-4007-916d-
> >,
> says...
>
> > Hospital tips ( learned the hard way)
> > * Be sure the doc leaves an order for sleeping pills in case you can't
> > sleep.

> *No " in case"...Take the sleeping pill anyway, even if you never do at
> home.
>
> * Janet.

Yeah, cause they (we?) are gonna come in all night and wake you up
anyway. The hospital is no place to get a good night's sleep, I hate
to tell you.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2011 3:39 AM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
> On Nov 22, 11:47 pm, > wrote:
>> So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
>> diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation at
>> L5-S1. And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar disks
>> and joints due to the instability of my spine. No frickin wonder I'm in
>> such pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I get an
>> epidural on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I can do the
>> surgery. *heavy sigh*

> Oh that does sound painful. When do they want to do surgery??

He said no rush but the longer I wait, the more pain I have to endure.
He just said it isn't going to get better without it. I figure within
the next few months. I just transferred to a new department at work and
even though I've been with the company for almost 15 years, I am
concerned about transferring and then having to take time off. I've
worked with this department for 1/2 billable hours for a long time, so
they know me well and are ok with me working from home, but I really
need to talk to them about full time working from home for 6 weeks
straight. We have a lot of new releases for a rebid contract we won so
this is bad timing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2011 7:45 AM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 00:47:36 -0500, >
> wrote:
>
>> So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
>> diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation at
>> L5-S1. And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar disks
>> and joints due to the instability of my spine. No frickin wonder I'm in
>> such pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I get an
>> epidural on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I can do the
>> surgery. *heavy sigh*

> Back surgery is never fun. Hopefully it relieves your pain. Good
> luck with it!

Thank you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2011 8:23 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 11/23/2011 12:47 AM, Cheryl wrote:
>
>> So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
>> diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation at
>> L5-S1. And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar disks and
>> joints due to the instability of my spine.

> Wow. That's a lot of pain, were you in a train wreck? Ouch.

Heh. Well, it goes back to some back injuries that I'm now being told
probably caused hairline fractures that I thought healed. I guess aging
is aggravating them and the fluid buildup is my body fighting it? I
don't know.

> > No frickin wonder I'm in such
>> pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I get an epidural
>> on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I can do the surgery.
>> *heavy sigh*

> All my good thoughts are headed your way, they'll fix this, then you
> can get back to your life.

Thanks. I can't wait to be ok again. Just little things are impossible
to do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2011 8:35 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Nov 22, 11:47 pm, > wrote:
>> So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
>> diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation at
>> L5-S1. And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar disks
>> and joints due to the instability of my spine. No frickin wonder I'm in
>> such pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I get an
>> epidural on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I can do the
>> surgery. *heavy sigh*

> Wow Cheryl. Yeah that sounds like hell on Earth. I'm sorry.
>
> Why can't you get the surgery done ASAP? There are some great
> osteopathic/neuropathic surgeons, make sure you get a good team. I did
> most of my my nursing clinicals on an osteopathic floor and my
> preceptorship on a neurosurgery floor, so I know. They can go in and
> rebuild your spine quite well. It'll be a little pit of a project for
> you (hospitalization, surgery, recovery, therapy) but in the long run
> it will be worth it!

I will get it as soon as I can. I wrote up-thread in a reply why I have
to plan this out.

> Hope the meds are managing your pain until you can get the surgery
> done!

Thank you!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2011 9:07 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
>> diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation
>> at L5-S1. And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar
>> disks and joints due to the instability of my spine. No frickin wonder
>> I'm in such pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I
>> get an epidural on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I
>> can do the surgery. *heavy sigh*

> Good luck Cheryl! Come back soon with the pain relieved!!

Thanks O.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2011 9:15 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
> Cheryl wrote:
>> So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
>> diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation
>> at L5-S1. And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar
>> disks and joints due to the instability of my spine. No frickin
>> wonder I'm in such pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and
>> planning. I get an epidural on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for
>> now until I can do the surgery. *heavy sigh*

> I'm not at all suggesting our situations are similar since I don't know
> yours more than the few words you've used above, but short story - if
> you make your back stronger, you stand a chance of relieving your
> symptoms to the point of not needing surgery insofar as the "instability
> of ... [the] spine" and "failure of lumbar disks" goes.

I've been in PT for stretching and core strengthening and plan to
continue. It isn't helping yet, but I am sure that both the surgery and
the core strengthening combined is going to be best long term. Dr said
that, too.

The cyst is,
> I'm guessing, essentially a separate complication that might need
> surgery, anyway, but that's a different surgery.

He didn't tell me what kind of cyst but he said it was fluid build up
and causing a lot of pressure on the nerve roots.

> Don't want to bore the newsgroup but if you want to chat via email,
> please drop a line. I was about as bad as one can be and still avoid
> surgery but my doctor, who would have been my surgeon, told me to avoid
> it if I could. It was a long, hard road that I'm still on but I'm very
> glad for the choice I made.
>
> Good luck, whatever happens.

Thank you for the chat offer and the helpful replies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2011 10:21 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 00:47:36 -0500, >
> wrote:
>
>> So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
>> diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation at
>> L5-S1. And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar disks
>> and joints due to the instability of my spine. No frickin wonder I'm in
>> such pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I get an
>> epidural on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I can do the
>> surgery. *heavy sigh*

> I'm sorry that you have to go through the surgery, but pleased that
> you had a second opinion that detailed the issues. Now you 'know' and
> that is important in you working toward getting better. Good luck and
> best wishes. Don't listen to anyone with war stories. Just think
> about you. For your hospital stay I hope the food and TV are
> decent)
> Janet US

Thanks Janet. I've heard all the war stories from my uncle who has had
two back surgeries and is constantly calling to tell me something he
remembered. He was also trying to tell me PT is all I need because it
helped him at first, and an orthopedic surgeon also told me PT was all I
needed, but after finding out that a lot of the pain I have is neural in
nature, I stopped listening to them. Neural problems are nothing to play
around with because they can become permanent.

Ditto the TV and food! LOL! Thanks for your insights.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2011 10:31 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2011-11-23, > wrote:
>> such pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I get an
>> epidural on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I can do the
>> surgery. *heavy sigh*

> I hope all goes well for you and there are no complications.

Thank you very much. I appreciate it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2011 1:05 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 11/22/2011 11:47 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
>> diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation at
>> L5-S1. And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar disks and
>> joints due to the instability of my spine. No frickin wonder I'm in such
>> pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I get an epidural
>> on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I can do the surgery.
>> *heavy sigh*

> So sorry to hear this, Cheryl. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Thanks Janet. I'm so grateful for all of the nice thoughts and replies
here. I wrote it out once and deleted but I really needed to vent so
thank you and everyone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2011 1:56 PM, Dimitri wrote:

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
>> diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation
>> at L5-S1. And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar
>> disks and joints due to the instability of my spine. No frickin wonder
>> I'm in such pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I
>> get an epidural on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I
>> can do the surgery. *heavy sigh*

> Bummer - take the drugs they offer..

I surely will!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2011 2:34 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> On Nov 22, 11:47 pm, > wrote:
>> So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
>> diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation at
>> L5-S1. And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar disks
>> and joints due to the instability of my spine. No frickin wonder I'm in
>> such pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I get an
>> epidural on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I can do the
>> surgery. *heavy sigh*

> I had lumbar fusion back surgery last January - for 3, 4, 5 and S1.
> I had lots of arthritic growth, plus a cyst. It was easy surgery,
> little pain, and recovery (back to work) was about a total of 4
> weeks. The back brace was merely to remind me what not to do during
> recovery, and it was so uncomfortable, the doctor tossed the rigid
> part of it. Relax, it will be fine. ;-)

The best I've heard yet based on experience! Thank you for sharing
yours. I hope mine is just as easy and quick recovery like you had.
Very nice to hear you had success.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2011 3:48 PM, Jerry Avins wrote:
> On Nov 23, 12:47 am, > wrote:
>> So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
>> diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation at
>> L5-S1. And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar disks
>> and joints due to the instability of my spine. No frickin wonder I'm in
>> such pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I get an
>> epidural on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I can do the
>> surgery. *heavy sigh*

> OH, good luck and best wishes! I know one person who had similar
> surgery and whose life and comfort are now much improved. I wish the
> same for you.

Thank you Jerry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2011 3:49 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Nov 23, 12:47 am, > wrote:
>> So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
>> diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation at
>> L5-S1. And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar disks
>> and joints due to the instability of my spine. No frickin wonder I'm in
>> such pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I get an
>> epidural on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I can do the
>> surgery. *heavy sigh*

> Good luck and I this is the answer to your pain.
>
> Hospital tips ( learned the hard way)
> Be sure the doc leaves an order for sleeping pills in case you can't
> sleep.
> Sneak in a container of prunes. Nuff said.

Thanks for both insights. LOL Prunes. Ok. I believe you!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 5:41*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Nov 23, 4:35*pm, Janet > wrote:
>
> > In article <2459e8c4-7091-4007-916d-
> > >,
> > says...

> > > Hospital tips ( learned the hard way)
> > > * Be sure the doc leaves an order for sleeping pills in case you can't
> > > sleep.

> > *No " in case"...Take the sleeping pill anyway, even if you never do at
> > home.

> > * Janet.

> Yeah, cause they (we?) are gonna come in all night and wake you up
> anyway. The hospital is no place to get a good night's sleep, I hate
> to tell you.
>
> John Kuthe...

Hopefully she's going to a real hospital and not a gomer deathchamber
like where you "work".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/11/2011 6:36 PM, Cheryl wrote:

> He said no rush but the longer I wait, the more pain I have to endure.
> He just said it isn't going to get better without it. I figure within
> the next few months. I just transferred to a new department at work and
> even though I've been with the company for almost 15 years, I am
> concerned about transferring and then having to take time off. I've
> worked with this department for 1/2 billable hours for a long time, so
> they know me well and are ok with me working from home, but I really
> need to talk to them about full time working from home for 6 weeks
> straight. We have a lot of new releases for a rebid contract we won so
> this is bad timing.

At least you know what you are in for. When I went in for open heart
surgery a year ago it was a rude surprise. I felt like a bag of crap
for after the operation and for several months. It was serious stuff
and it was touch and go for a while at the beginning. It has been a long
road to recovery but I feel good again. In fact, I feel better now than
I did before the incident that almost killed me. Relax and put some
faith in the medical professionals that are going to improve your live
for you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 6:14*pm, BillyZoom > wrote:
> On Nov 23, 5:41*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
>
> Hopefully she's going to a real hospital and not a gomer deathchamber
> like where you "work".

Careful Billy, else it's be a 30Fr Foley for YOU! ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 7:53*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Nov 23, 6:14*pm, BillyZoom > wrote:
>
> > On Nov 23, 5:41*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:

> > Hopefully she's going to a real hospital and not a gomer deathchamber
> > like where you "work".

> Careful Billy, else it's be a 30Fr Foley for YOU! ;-)
>
> John Kuthe...

Don't try to sweet talk me, you rascal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" wrote:

> So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
> diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation
> at L5-S1. And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar
> disks and joints due to the instability of my spine. No frickin wonder
> I'm in such pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I
> get an epidural on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I
> can do the surgery. *heavy sigh*

I hope all goes well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2011 5:47 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 11/23/2011 1:05 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> On 11/22/2011 11:47 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>>> So it seems I will have to have back surgery. The second opinion
>>> diagnosis today by a neurosurgeon is spondylolisthesis. A dislocation at
>>> L5-S1. And a cyst. And nerve compression and failure of lumbar disks and
>>> joints due to the instability of my spine. No frickin wonder I'm in such
>>> pain. Just sort of venting and thinking and planning. I get an epidural
>>> on Friday and on a neuralpathic med for now until I can do the surgery.
>>> *heavy sigh*

>> So sorry to hear this, Cheryl. I wish you a speedy recovery.
>>

> Thanks Janet. I'm so grateful for all of the nice thoughts and replies
> here. I wrote it out once and deleted but I really needed to vent so
> thank you and everyone.

That's what's so nice about Usenet communities. We all too often ****
and moan about Usenet and the Trolls and Flamers, but when it comes down
to real, true, humanity, Usenet groups are a nice bunch of folks.

JMHO.