Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default More Pre-surgery cooking

Heya all,

Over this weekend and the next week, I am doing a bunch of cooking for
post surgery.

I just got a pot of my tomato sauce started on the stove. I
quadrupled it...

This isn't a new type tomato sauce...but the real old fashioned kind.
I got this recipe from a nurse with whom I worked about 30 years ago,
in the Washington DC area. No matter, it is still good.
Jan's Tomato Sauce

Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sauces

1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup onion -- chopped
1 clove garlic -- crushed
2 tablespoons parsley -- finely chopped
1/2 pound ground beef
1/4 pound pork -- ground
32 ounces tomatoes in puree -- canned
2 cans tomato paste -- (6 oz.)
1 teaspoon basil -- dried
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons sugar

Heat oil slowly in large deep skillet. Saute onion, garlic and parsley
until
tender. Add ground beef and pork to skillet. Saute
meat, stirring occasionally til well browned. Add rest of sauce
ingredients to
skillet. Stir to mix well. Bring to boiling and reduce
heat and simmer covered for 3 hours. Stir occasionally during cooking.
I modify it a little..in that often I use Italian sausage. Today I
used hot Italian sausage for the ground pork. I also add red pepper
flakes, and a bay leaf.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> Heya all,
>
> Over this weekend and the next week, I am doing a bunch of cooking for
> post surgery.
>
> I just got a pot of my tomato sauce started on the stove. I
> quadrupled it...
>
> This isn't a new type tomato sauce...but the real old fashioned kind.
> I got this recipe from a nurse with whom I worked about 30 years ago,
> in the Washington DC area. No matter, it is still good.
> Jan's Tomato Sauce

<snipped recipe>

Sounds good, and should freeze just fine. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.