Franfogel

Default Bake sale now a "bought" sale

I just spent some time with my daughter and grandchildren and found out, to my
surprise, that when their elementary school has a bake sale no one can bring
homemade baked items. They must all be bought at the store. She was told that
this was to prevent anyone getting sick (and presumably to prevent the school
from being sued). This seems totally absurd to me. In all the years I've been
on this planet I have never heard of anyone getting sick from something they
bought at a school bake sale. Am I off the beam here? What do you think?

Fran
Wayne Boatwright

Sounds like bake sales have gone the way of Halloween.

Next thing ya know, having a pot luck supper at church or other venue
will require bringing frozen entrees.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Dave Smith

Franfogel wrote:

> I just spent some time with my daughter and grandchildren and found out, to my
> surprise, that when their elementary school has a bake sale no one can bring
> homemade baked items. They must all be bought at the store. She was told that
> this was to prevent anyone getting sick (and presumably to prevent the school
> from being sued). This seems totally absurd to me. In all the years I've been
> on this planet I have never heard of anyone getting sick from something they
> bought at a school bake sale. Am I off the beam here? What do you think?

If that is the way they are going to be they might as well try some sort of cookie
sale fundraiser like Girl Guide cookies. I used to bake stuff for the bake sale
at my son's school. Then I found out that the were selling the stuff for less than
it cost me to make them. Nuts to that. All I was doing was providing someone with
cheap baked goods and the school was getting the money.

Dave Smith

Franfogel wrote:

> I just spent some time with my daughter and grandchildren and found out, to my
> surprise, that when their elementary school has a bake sale no one can bring
> homemade baked items. They must all be bought at the store. She was told that
> this was to prevent anyone getting sick (and presumably to prevent the school
> from being sued). This seems totally absurd to me. In all the years I've been
> on this planet I have never heard of anyone getting sick from something they
> bought at a school bake sale. Am I off the beam here? What do you think?

If that is the way they are going to be they might as well try some sort of cookie
sale fundraiser like Girl Guide cookies. I used to bake stuff for the bake sale
at my son's school. Then I found out that the were selling the stuff for less than
it cost me to make them. Nuts to that. All I was doing was providing someone with
cheap baked goods and the school was getting the money.

Puester

Franfogel wrote:

> I just spent some time with my daughter and grandchildren and found out, to my
> surprise, that when their elementary school has a bake sale no one can bring
> homemade baked items. They must all be bought at the store. She was told that
> this was to prevent anyone getting sick (and presumably to prevent the school
> from being sued). This seems totally absurd to me. In all the years I've been
> on this planet I have never heard of anyone getting sick from something they
> bought at a school bake sale. Am I off the beam here? What do you think?
>
> Fran

That's one of the saddest things I've heard in a long time.
Most bakery stuff is so filled with preservatives and fake
ingredients compared with home-made-from-scratch.

What a weird world this is turning into.

gloria p

Puester

Franfogel wrote:

> I just spent some time with my daughter and grandchildren and found out, to my
> surprise, that when their elementary school has a bake sale no one can bring
> homemade baked items. They must all be bought at the store. She was told that
> this was to prevent anyone getting sick (and presumably to prevent the school
> from being sued). This seems totally absurd to me. In all the years I've been
> on this planet I have never heard of anyone getting sick from something they
> bought at a school bake sale. Am I off the beam here? What do you think?
>
> Fran

That's one of the saddest things I've heard in a long time.
Most bakery stuff is so filled with preservatives and fake
ingredients compared with home-made-from-scratch.

What a weird world this is turning into.

gloria p
Puester

Dave Smith wrote:

> Franfogel wrote:
>
> I used to bake stuff for the bake sale
> at my son's school. Then I found out that the were selling the stuff for less than
> it cost me to make them. Nuts to that. All I was doing was providing someone with
> cheap baked goods and the school was getting the money.

I had the same experience with our high school PTO. The teachers
sponsor a huge craft sale in early Nov. with the booth rental $$$
going to a scholarship fund for kids who want to major in education
in college. The PTO has a bake sale table and donates the proceeds
to the scholarship fund. Too many times I have made or seen cakes
that cost ~$8 or more to make being sold for $2.50. I'd rather donate
the cost of the ingredients.

gloria p
Puester

Dave Smith wrote:

> Franfogel wrote:
>
> I used to bake stuff for the bake sale
> at my son's school. Then I found out that the were selling the stuff for less than
> it cost me to make them. Nuts to that. All I was doing was providing someone with
> cheap baked goods and the school was getting the money.

I had the same experience with our high school PTO. The teachers
sponsor a huge craft sale in early Nov. with the booth rental $$$
going to a scholarship fund for kids who want to major in education
in college. The PTO has a bake sale table and donates the proceeds
to the scholarship fund. Too many times I have made or seen cakes
that cost ~$8 or more to make being sold for $2.50. I'd rather donate
the cost of the ingredients.

gloria p
Alexis Siefert

I am so glad to see this topic come up in a thread, because I was just getting
ready to start it myself with a question.

Our school is having a bake sale on the 2nd (election day, we're a polling
place, extra traffic). How do you think it's best to price items? I'll be
making divinity (relatively cheap to make), individual pineapple upside down
cakes (about $5.00 total to make 8 small-pot-pie-sized cakes), and small
coconut cakes (recipe posted earlier this month during a discussion about
"poke" cakes. These are slightly more expensive to make because of the cost of
the cream of coconut, but I'm using miniature loaf pans, and can make about 10
cakes from a normal-sized cake batter).
I know my pricing scale for these things when I do small catering jobs, but I'm
not looking for a real business-level profit for these items. As consumers
(and parents) how much would you be willing to pay for, say, a bag of 4 largish
pieces of divinity? A pineapple cake? A coconut cake? A coffee-cake-strudel
muffin?

Thanks!

Alexis.

DJS0302

>I just spent some time with my daughter and grandchildren and found out, to
>my
>surprise, that when their elementary school has a bake sale no one can bring
>homemade baked items. They must all be bought at the store. She was told
>that
>this was to prevent anyone getting sick (and presumably to prevent the school
>from being sued). This seems totally absurd to me. In all the years I've
>been
>on this planet I have never heard of anyone getting sick from something they
>bought at a school bake sale. Am I off the beam here? What do you think?
>
>Fran

I asked the same question a year or so ago. What I want to know is what's to
stop someone from using a container from the grocery store for their own
homemade product? I'll occasionaly buy things such as cakes or cookies from
the bakery department at the grocery store and I always save the containers for
just such a use. Personally I would boycott a bake sale that required bought
items. They could always ask the person bringing the item if it contains any
nuts or other common allergic ingredients. If on the otherhand if someone who
is allergic to chocolate is stupid enough to buy and eat a pan of brownies then
they deserve to get sick. Yes, I'm bad but I tell it like it is.
DJS0302

>I just spent some time with my daughter and grandchildren and found out, to
>my
>surprise, that when their elementary school has a bake sale no one can bring
>homemade baked items. They must all be bought at the store. She was told
>that
>this was to prevent anyone getting sick (and presumably to prevent the school
>from being sued). This seems totally absurd to me. In all the years I've
>been
>on this planet I have never heard of anyone getting sick from something they
>bought at a school bake sale. Am I off the beam here? What do you think?
>
>Fran

I asked the same question a year or so ago. What I want to know is what's to
stop someone from using a container from the grocery store for their own
homemade product? I'll occasionaly buy things such as cakes or cookies from
the bakery department at the grocery store and I always save the containers for
just such a use. Personally I would boycott a bake sale that required bought
items. They could always ask the person bringing the item if it contains any
nuts or other common allergic ingredients. If on the otherhand if someone who
is allergic to chocolate is stupid enough to buy and eat a pan of brownies then
they deserve to get sick. Yes, I'm bad but I tell it like it is.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>All I was doing was providing someone with cheap baked goods and the

school was getting the money.

That's the whole idea, Dave.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-22-04; Popovers!.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:

> > Franfogel wrote:
> > I used to bake stuff for the bake sale
> > at my son's school. Then I found out that the were selling the
> > stuff for less than it cost me to make them. Nuts to that. All I
> > was doing was providing someone with cheap baked goods and the
> > school was getting the money.

> I had the same experience with our high school PTO. The teachers
> sponsor a huge craft sale in early Nov. with the booth rental $$$
> going to a scholarship fund for kids who want to major in education
> in college. The PTO has a bake sale table and donates the proceeds
> to the scholarship fund. Too many times I have made or seen cakes
> that cost ~$8 or more to make being sold for $2.50. I'd rather donate
> the cost of the ingredients.

> gloria p

Ugh. I like the fundraiser I participate in. A consignment-type thing
- they get 25%. I've sold a pint of B&B pickles for $6 -- and the least
expensive jar of jam or jelly I sell is $3.25 for a half-pint jar. I
like pricing it myself -- if it doesn't sell, I don't mind, but I can't
afford to give it away. This year's sale is about 3 weeks away and I
have fewer than 40 jars left for that sale. (Yeay!!) I'll be glad to
get it out of the house! I have no trouble selling a loaf (1-1/4
pounds) of homemade white bread for $5. Cheap ingredients but some
time involved.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-22-04; Popovers!.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

PaulaGarlic

"DJS0302" > wrote in message
> >I just spent some time with my daughter and grandchildren and found
> > out, to my surprise, that when their elementary school has a bake sale
> >no one can bring homemade baked items. They must all be bought at >

>the store. She was tolf that this was to prevent anyone getting sick
> >(and presumably to prevent the school from being sued).

> Personally I would boycott a bake sale that required bought
> items. They could always ask the person bringing the item if it contains
>any nuts or other common allergic ingredients.

I always tape a label to my items with the name of the item and an
ingredient list.

We had a gathering at my church last Sunday. Lunch was provided. Simple
stuff - a couple of ladies on the committee made sandwiches, a couple others
did cookies and brownies. I brought an apple walnut cake and a dark
gingerbread. Both vanished quickly and, so, far, there were no fatalities!
In general, all the home-baked goods - my cakes, the brownies, the soda
breads - went fast...not a crumb left. The bought stuff - including a
coffee cake and several whole boxes of strudel were still around at clean-up
time.

Paula

If on the otherhand if someone who
> is allergic to chocolate is stupid enough to buy and eat a pan of brownies

then
> they deserve to get sick. Yes, I'm bad but I tell it like it is.

Alex Rast

at Thu, 28 Oct 2004 03:19:32 GMT in >,
(Dave Smith) wrote :

>Franfogel wrote:
>
>> I just spent some time with my daughter and grandchildren and found
>> out, to my surprise, that when their elementary school has a bake sale
>> no one can bring homemade baked items. They must all be bought at the
>> store. She was told that this was to prevent anyone getting sick (and
>> presumably to prevent the school from being sued).

What I wonder about is, why do so many companies and institutions fall into
going to obsessive lengths in order to avoid being sued? It's obvious that
some of the measures they recommend are clearly absurd, like the above
situation, but to me it seems that the deeper absurdity is people worried
about being sued at all. Yes, we have a litigous society, and yes, if some
accident, no matter how trivial, occurs, somebody will sue, but if they do,
so what? You're being sued. Big Deal! I'd think that the organisations
involved would be big boys enough to be able to absorb a lawsuit. The
world's not going to end, even if you lose. Anyway, it's not guaranteed
that you'll lose. And if either the bosses/shareholders of a company or the
public in the case of an institution are going to demand that heads must
roll over one lawsuit, it is *they* that need their heads *examined*. What
we see in this "bake" sale situation is a classic example of how paranoia
leads to irrational behaviour.

>... I used to bake
>stuff for the bake sale at my son's school. Then I found out that the
>were selling the stuff for less than it cost me to make them. Nuts to
>that. All I was doing was providing someone with cheap baked goods and
>the school was getting the money.

Isn't that the idea? You give freely of your time and resources so that
someone else may benefit. A bake sale isn't being run for your profit. What
the school does is price things according to a reasonable margin they might
wish to make, so that every dollar somebody spends on the baked goods goes
into their coffers. You provide the baked goods for free, which means they
don't have to pay the overhead involved with materials, labour, and
facilities, that would otherwise cut into the amount of direct money they
made off the bake sale. And they stand to make more than they would if they
priced it at some margin above the cost to produce the items, because more
people will be attracted by the opportunity to buy quality baked items at
cheap prices. Thus the school achieves its goal and raises maximum funds.

I don't know about you, but I *like* the fact that my baked fare is being
sold for less than it cost to make them. It warms my heart to know somebody
out there is going to be able to get and enjoy high-quality baking for less
money than they could do it themselves for, much less buy it at some
bakery. In some cases, I'm sure, this means the difference between somebody
being able to enjoy an item and not being able to afford it at all. How can
I complain?

--
Alex Rast

Dave Smith

Alex Rast wrote:

> What I wonder about is, why do so many companies and institutions fall into
> going to obsessive lengths in order to avoid being sued? It's obvious that
> some of the measures they recommend are clearly absurd, like the above
> situation, but to me it seems that the deeper absurdity is people worried
> about being sued at all. Yes, we have a litigous society, and yes, if some
> accident, no matter how trivial, occurs, somebody will sue, but if they do,
> so what? You're being sued. Big Deal!

Being sued can be a big deal. It can put companies out of business. Some
countries are worse than others when it comes to law suits. Look what happened
in the US when a woman burned her crotch. Sure, the coffee was what, but what
kind of an idiot holds a cup of hot coffee with her thighs? Canada is not much
better. I recently cited the case of a small company that had to pay an
employee because she got drunk after leaving a company party, and another case
where two kids on dirt bikes sued the city that owned the land that they were
trespassing on when they crashed into each other.

> >... I used to bake
> >stuff for the bake sale at my son's school. Then I found out that the
> >were selling the stuff for less than it cost me to make them. Nuts to
> >that. All I was doing was providing someone with cheap baked goods and
> >the school was getting the money.

> Isn't that the idea? You give freely of your time and resources so that
> someone else may benefit. A bake sale isn't being run for your profit.

Well if it is not being run for profit I guess they do not need my
contribution. It was my understanding that the bake sale was a fundraiser. I
guess that since the Home and School Association was not investing anything in
the venture it is not a matter of profit and loss, but the whole idea was to
raise money for the association. It wasn't some sort of food bank where I
suppose I could have skipped the part where I bought all the ingredients and
spent the time to bake the cookies. I could have just gone to the sale and paid
bargain basement prices for baked goods that had cost other people money to
make.

> What
> the school does is price things according to a reasonable margin they might
> wish to make, so that every dollar somebody spends on the baked goods goes
> into their coffers. You provide the baked goods for free, which means they
> don't have to pay the overhead involved with materials, labour, and
> facilities, that would otherwise cut into the amount of direct money they
> made off the bake sale. And they stand to make more than they would if they
> priced it at some margin above the cost to produce the items, because more
> people will be attracted by the opportunity to buy quality baked items at
> cheap prices. Thus the school achieves its goal and raises maximum funds.

They could have considered the value of the goods and priced them accordingly.
IMO it was silly for me to spend $10 on ingredients for goods they sold for $5.
I could have just given them the $5 and I would have been ahead $5. The only
losers would be the cheap *******s who would have had to spend the extra $5 to
get back the amount I spent, or the $15-20 it would have cost them in a bake
shop for the same thing.

> I don't know about you, but I *like* the fact that my baked fare is being
> sold for less than it cost to make them. It warms my heart to know somebody
> out there is going to be able to get and enjoy high-quality baking for less
> money than they could do it themselves for, much less buy it at some
> bakery. In some cases, I'm sure, this means the difference between somebody
> being able to enjoy an item and not being able to afford it at all. How can
> I complain?

I guess you and I feel differently. I was felt insulted that our goods were
considered so cheap. I figured that if they were going to be so ungrateful for
my efforts I need not bother in the future.

Nancy Young

Dave Smith wrote:

> I guess you and I feel differently. I was felt insulted that our goods were
> considered so cheap. I figured that if they were going to be so ungrateful for
> my efforts I need not bother in the future.

Okay, my ISP has been having newserver problems this week, that's no
bit deal, but I take it people have to bring store bought baked goods
at a *bake sale*. The hell with that, I'll get my own Entemann's
coffee cake, thankyouverymuch. If they are afraid of a bake sale,
find another fundraiser. I've heard some stupid things in my life,
that idea is hard to top.

And I agree, the home baked items usually seem way underpriced to me.

nancy
Alex Rast

at Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:08:51 GMT in >,
(Dave Smith) wrote :

>Alex Rast wrote:
>

>> What I wonder about is, why do so many companies and institutions fall
>> into going to obsessive lengths in order to avoid being sued? It's
>> obvious that some of the measures they recommend are clearly absurd,
>> like the above situation, but to me it seems that the deeper absurdity
>> is people worried about being sued at all. Yes, we have a litigous
>> society, and yes, if some accident, no matter how trivial, occurs,
>> somebody will sue, but if they do, so what? You're being sued. Big
>> Deal!

>Being sued can be a big deal. It can put companies out of business.

Perhaps, then, that's what's necessary. If a few companies went
spectacularly out of business over frivolous lawsuits that somehow found a
generous judge, then that might create enough of a stir that people would
start to realise how damaging and unproductive frivolous lawsuits were.
That might help to put a brake on the lawsuits, if there were enough public
outrage. The basic point is, Lawsuits Happen. It's pointless to go to
obsessive lengths to stop them - it's a bit like carrying an umbrella
everywhere you go, even on a brilliantly sunny day, just because it might
rain, or perhaps like moving to Death Valley because you're afraid of
getting wet. If a company goes to extraordinary lengths to prevent lawsuits
then all they are doing is diverting time, energy, resources, and money
away from the more central aspects of their business - what they actually
make or do - that will probably turn out to be more damaging in the long
run in terms of opportunities lost than any lawsuit ever could.

>> >... I used to bake
>> >stuff for the bake sale at my son's school. Then I found out that the
>> >were selling the stuff for less than it cost me to make them. Nuts to
>> >that. All I was doing was providing someone with cheap baked goods
>> >and the school was getting the money.

>> Isn't that the idea? You give freely of your time and resources so
>> that someone else may benefit. A bake sale isn't being run for your
>> profit.

>Well if it is not being run for profit I guess they do not need my
>contribution.

It is being run for profit - *their* profit, not *yours*. Of course if
you'd rather be the one to profit from sale of your items then you're free
to start up your own business in order to do so.

> ... It wasn't
>some sort of food bank where I suppose I could have skipped the part
>where I bought all the ingredients and spent the time to bake the
>cookies. I could have just gone to the sale and paid bargain basement
>prices for baked goods that had cost other people money to make.

There are many ways to contribute. If you don't really *like* giving of
your time and resources in order to contribute, another way is to give your
money - i.e. by buying the baked goods other people made. Nobody's forcing
you to bake for their sale. If, for you, every action is in essence an
investment for which you expect a return, then, by all means, contribute
simply by buying other peoples' stuff. Then you can indeed get the return
of a cheap baked good and still contribute to the organisation.

>> What
>> the school does is price things according to a reasonable margin they
>> might wish to make, so that every dollar somebody spends on the baked
>> goods goes into their coffers. ... they stand to
>> make more than they would if they priced it at some margin above the
>> cost to produce the items...

>They could have considered the value of the goods and priced them
>accordingly. IMO it was silly for me to spend $10 on ingredients for
>goods they sold for $5. I could have just given them the $5 and I would
>have been ahead $5. The only losers would be the cheap *******s who
>would have had to spend the extra $5 to get back the amount I spent, or
>the $15-20 it would have cost them in a bake shop for the same thing.

One way to contribute would have been indeed to give them $5.00. But as you
point out, then other people, either more bargain-oriented or perhaps not
otherwise in the financial position to buy more expensive baked goods,
would not have been able to enjoy the items which they did. Meanwhile, if
they had considered the "value" of the goods and priced them accordingly,
then they would have sold fewer, which would have meant that the dollars
you spent on baking them would either have ended up in the trash (a total
waste), or given away free after the fundraiser (for which there would thus
be *zero* return. So then *everybody* would lose - some people wouldn't get
to enjoy the baked goods, the organisation wouldn't have made as much
money, and your efforts would have been wasted.

An organisation may choose either to make a direct appeal for funds from
its members, or organise some kind of fundraiser. Since many people get
rewards (by this I mean feel internally some sense of satisfaction, not
literally receiving some kind of compensation in the form of cash or goods)
simply from participating in a fundraiser, more people are inclined to
contribute in such events than those prepared to hand over cash. For many,
simply donating money seems sterile. So often an organisation chooses the
fundraising approach. I'm sure they'd be happy to accept your $5.00
donation, and this is something you can do at any time. If in addition you
buy other people's items at the bake sale, then you've made a decent
contribution.

>I guess you and I feel differently. I was felt insulted that our goods
>were considered so cheap. I figured that if they were going to be so
>ungrateful for my efforts I need not bother in the future.

I doubt they were ungrateful. But by putting your own constraints on what
you consider to be an appropriate display of gratitude on their part you
may inadvertently have made yourself blind to any gratitude they had.

--
Alex Rast

Dave Smith

Alex Rast wrote:

> >Being sued can be a big deal. It can put companies out of business.

> Perhaps, then, that's what's necessary. If a few companies went
> spectacularly out of business over frivolous lawsuits that somehow found a
> generous judge, then that might create enough of a stir that people would
> start to realise how damaging and unproductive frivolous lawsuits were.
> That might help to put a brake on the lawsuits, if there were enough public
> outrage. The basic point is, Lawsuits Happen. It's pointless to go to
> obsessive lengths to stop them - it's a bit like carrying an umbrella
> everywhere you go, even on a brilliantly sunny day, just because it might
> rain, or perhaps like moving to Death Valley because you're afraid of
> getting wet.

On the contrary, due diligence can be a defense in a law suit. Failure to do
otherwise may be deemed to be negligence.

Derek Lyons

Dave Smith > wrote:

>I used to bake stuff for the bake sale
>at my son's school. Then I found out that the were selling the stuff for less than
>it cost me to make them. Nuts to that. All I was doing was providing someone with
>cheap baked goods and the school was getting the money.

Um. That's the *point* of it.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Derek Lyons

Dave Smith > wrote:

>Look what happened in the US when a woman burned her crotch.
>Sure, the coffee was what, but what kind of an idiot holds a cup of hot
>coffee with her thighs?

You mean the lady who bought a cup of coffee from a store that had
been warned on multiple occasions *because their coffee was much
hotter than recommended*?

In the end, the company paid and continued in business.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Dave Smith

Derek Lyons wrote:

> You mean the lady who bought a cup of coffee from a store that had
> been warned on multiple occasions *because their coffee was much
> hotter than recommended*?

I had had coffee from the same place and never burned by crotch, but that's
because I knew enough to use my hands. :-)

> In the end, the company paid and continued in business.
>
> D.
> --
> Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
>
> -Resolved: To be more temperate in my postings.
> Oct 5th, 2004 JDL

Dave Smith

Derek Lyons wrote:

> Dave Smith > wrote:
>
> >I used to bake stuff for the bake sale
> >at my son's school. Then I found out that the were selling the stuff for less than
> >it cost me to make them. Nuts to that. All I was doing was providing someone with
> >cheap baked goods and the school was getting the money.

> Um. That's the *point* of it.

Sure, the point was for the school to get to money. They could have made a lot more if
they had charged what the stuff was worth, or at least as much as it cost to make.

PENMART01

(Derek Lyons) writes:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>
>>I used to bake stuff for the bake sale
>>at my son's school. Then I found out that they were selling the stuff for

>less than
>>it cost me to make them. Nuts to that. All I was doing was providing someone

>with
>>cheap baked goods and the school was getting the money.

>Um. That's the *point* of it.

'Zactly! The cake is a *donation*, to the school, not a cake for a contest at
the county fair. The trick is to bake as cheaply as possible while making your
school bake sale cake look as handsome as possible. The folks buying at school
bake sales realize they're making a donation too, so they don't mind spending
say $5 on a cake for which you donated $2 worth of ingredients, plus your time
and effort ('zactly what occurs at the corner bake shop, btw). If you're going
to spend $10 on ingredients for a cake that will sell for $5 then the best
thing is to buy your own cake.... you've donated $5 plus your time and effort
and you're not out any part of the money you spent on your cake... you get to
eat your cake and have it too.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

(Derek Lyons) writes:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>
>>I used to bake stuff for the bake sale
>>at my son's school. Then I found out that they were selling the stuff for

>less than
>>it cost me to make them. Nuts to that. All I was doing was providing someone

>with
>>cheap baked goods and the school was getting the money.

>Um. That's the *point* of it.

'Zactly! The cake is a *donation*, to the school, not a cake for a contest at
the county fair. The trick is to bake as cheaply as possible while making your
school bake sale cake look as handsome as possible. The folks buying at school
bake sales realize they're making a donation too, so they don't mind spending
say $5 on a cake for which you donated $2 worth of ingredients, plus your time
and effort ('zactly what occurs at the corner bake shop, btw). If you're going
to spend $10 on ingredients for a cake that will sell for $5 then the best
thing is to buy your own cake.... you've donated $5 plus your time and effort
and you're not out any part of the money you spent on your cake... you get to
eat your cake and have it too.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Saerah

PENMART01 wrote in message >...
>(Derek Lyons) writes:
>>
>>Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>>I used to bake stuff for the bake sale
>>>at my son's school. Then I found out that they were selling the stuff for

>>less than
>>>it cost me to make them. Nuts to that. All I was doing was providing

someone
>>with
>>>cheap baked goods and the school was getting the money.

>>Um. That's the *point* of it.

>'Zactly! The cake is a *donation*, to the school, not a cake for a contest

at
>the county fair. The trick is to bake as cheaply as possible while making

your
>school bake sale cake look as handsome as possible. The folks buying at

school
>bake sales realize they're making a donation too, so they don't mind

spending
>say $5 on a cake for which you donated $2 worth of ingredients, plus your

time
>and effort ('zactly what occurs at the corner bake shop, btw). If you're

going
>to spend $10 on ingredients for a cake that will sell for $5 then the best
>thing is to buy your own cake.... you've donated $5 plus your time and

effort
>and you're not out any part of the money you spent on your cake... you get

>eat your cake and have it too.

um, no. you will then have donated $5 on top of the money spent for
ingredients.

--
saerah

TANSTAAFL

"The night is full of holes
There's bullets ripping sky
Of ink, with gold
They twinkle as the boys
Play rock and roll
They know that they can't dance
At least they know"
-U2

Saerah

PENMART01 wrote in message >...
>(Derek Lyons) writes:
>>
>>Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>>I used to bake stuff for the bake sale
>>>at my son's school. Then I found out that they were selling the stuff for

>>less than
>>>it cost me to make them. Nuts to that. All I was doing was providing

someone
>>with
>>>cheap baked goods and the school was getting the money.

>>Um. That's the *point* of it.

>'Zactly! The cake is a *donation*, to the school, not a cake for a contest

at
>the county fair. The trick is to bake as cheaply as possible while making

your
>school bake sale cake look as handsome as possible. The folks buying at

school
>bake sales realize they're making a donation too, so they don't mind

spending
>say $5 on a cake for which you donated $2 worth of ingredients, plus your

time
>and effort ('zactly what occurs at the corner bake shop, btw). If you're

going
>to spend $10 on ingredients for a cake that will sell for $5 then the best
>thing is to buy your own cake.... you've donated $5 plus your time and

effort
>and you're not out any part of the money you spent on your cake... you get

>eat your cake and have it too.

um, no. you will then have donated $5 on top of the money spent for
ingredients.

--
saerah

TANSTAAFL

"The night is full of holes
There's bullets ripping sky
Of ink, with gold
They twinkle as the boys
Play rock and roll
They know that they can't dance
At least they know"
-U2

PENMART01

"best thing is to buy your own cake.... you've donated $5 plus your time and
effort and you're not out any part of the money you spent on your cake... you
get
to eat your cake and have it too.

>um, no. you will then have donated $5 on top of the money spent for
>ingredients.
>
>saerah

Um, you desperately NEED remedial reading and math.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

"best thing is to buy your own cake.... you've donated $5 plus your time and
effort and you're not out any part of the money you spent on your cake... you
get
to eat your cake and have it too.

>um, no. you will then have donated $5 on top of the money spent for
>ingredients.
>
>saerah

Um, you desperately NEED remedial reading and math.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Alex Rast

at Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:35:39 GMT in >,
(Dave Smith) wrote :

>Alex Rast wrote:
>

>> >Being sued can be a big deal. It can put companies out of business.

>> Perhaps, then, that's what's necessary... The basic point is, Lawsuits
>> Happen.
>> It's pointless to go to obsessive lengths to stop them...

>On the contrary, due diligence can be a defense in a law suit. Failure
>to do otherwise may be deemed to be negligence.

If you follow that line of reasoning, you've already succumbed to the fear
of lawsuits. Spending time considering how a situation might best be
positioned legally in advance of actually having a lawsuit amounts to the
kind of paranoia I'm talking about, that leads to irrational behaviour.

>> There are many ways to contribute. If you don't really *like* giving
>> of your time and resources in order to contribute, another way is to
>> give your money - i.e. by buying the baked goods other people made.
>> Nobody's forcing you to bake for their sale.

>I did not have a problem providing the ingredients or the time and work
>to do the baking. I expected that they would attach a price that would
>consider the value of at least the ingredients.

It's up to them to decide what pricing to attach to an item. Since they're
the ones running the sale, they're the ones who should make the final
decisions. The idea is - in contributing to a bake sale by providing baked
goods, you don't provide them with all sorts of restrictions placed on them
like how much they can charge for them or who to sell to or what tables
they must set them on. If you did, then it would become more your sale
instead of theirs, in which case, again, you're perfectly free to set up a
private bake sale and forward the proceeds on to them. But if you donate to
their sale, then what price they decide to set is up to them.

>> If, for you, every action is in essence an
>> investment for which you expect a return, then, by all means,
>> contribute simply by buying other peoples' stuff. ...

>I would tend to view simply buying the baked goods at below cost of
>ingredients along the same lines as a parasite.

Well, if you'd feel parasitic in buying somebody else's stuff, then again,
the option of simply donating money is always there. But begrudging others
because they don't price according to what you would price is trying to
impose your will on somebody else's decisions.

>> >They could have considered the value of the goods and priced them
>> >accordingly. ...

>> One way to contribute would have been indeed to give them $5.00. But
>> as you point out, then other people, either more bargain-oriented or
>> perhaps not otherwise in the financial position to buy more expensive
>> baked goods, would not have been able to enjoy the items which they
>> did.

>As I said before, it is a bake sale, not a food bank. The idea was to
>raise money for the association. I expect that they would consider
>contributions to be on a value added basis.

Just because their sale wasn't being operated in the "official" capacity of
a charity doesn't mean they can't price at rates that include more people
rather than fewer. If an organisation pursues activities that have an
unintentional quasi-charitable effect I think this is altogether for the
good. Why not have the maximum benefit come to the maximum number of
people?

> I suppose that I could just
>go with money and make my contribution by getting the bargains on things
>that I could buy cheaper than I can make at home. But if everyone did
>that there would not be anyone stupid enough to go to the expense and
>the work to provide a contribution.

Well, if everyone did that it wouldn't be a matter of that was no one
"stupid" enough to make a contribution - it would rather be a simple matter
of fact. If everyone is going with money rather than baked goods, then, by
definition, there's no one providing a baked-goods contribution.

One of the ways society operates is under the premise that there are some
people who will give freely of their time, effort, and resources in order
to help other individuals or institutions without expecting any physical
compensation in return. In this case, the Association trusts that there
will be a certain number of people who will gladly provide baked items
without asking to be paid for the items they provide. That's the whole way
by which these kinds of events make money.

If you take the opposite viewpoint and require that everybody receive
compensation for their contributions, this is the pure free-market
capitalist economy, without any not-for-profit entities whatsoever. A pure
free-market economy is a model some people advocate, but this would make it
impossible (essentially, by definition) for Associations and other such
entities to operate. So such organisations assume from the start that there
will be those who will contribute unconditionally.

--
Alex Rast

Puester

Alex Rast wrote:

> One of the ways society operates is under the premise that there are some
> people who will give freely of their time, effort, and resources in order
> to help other individuals or institutions without expecting any physical
> compensation in return. In this case, the Association trusts that there
> will be a certain number of people who will gladly provide baked items
> without asking to be paid for the items they provide. That's the whole way
> by which these kinds of events make money.
>
> If you take the opposite viewpoint and require that everybody receive
> compensation for their contributions, this is the pure free-market
> capitalist economy, without any not-for-profit entities whatsoever. A pure
> free-market economy is a model some people advocate, but this would make it
> impossible (essentially, by definition) for Associations and other such
> entities to operate. So such organisations assume from the start that there
> will be those who will contribute unconditionally.
>
> --

But isn't there a disconnect when a group of people
donate items that cost them $10 and the organization
prices them at $2.50? The organization receives only
a small percentage of the donated value and there's
absolutely NO telling whether the purchasers/beneficiaries
are impoverished or millionaires.

gloria p
DJS0302

>You mean the lady who bought a cup of coffee from a store that had
>been warned on multiple occasions *because their coffee was much
>hotter than recommended*?
>
>In the end, the company paid and continued in business.

They said the coffee was too hot at 180 degrees. Well according to my instant
read thermometer and my coffee pot a fresh brewed cup of coffee is between 175
and 180 degrees. Even if the coffee was "too hot" the woman was stupid for
trying to hold it in her lap. Actually the stupid ones were the jurors who
gave her the settlement. She wouldn't have received a dime if I were on the
jury.
DJS0302

>You mean the lady who bought a cup of coffee from a store that had
>been warned on multiple occasions *because their coffee was much
>hotter than recommended*?
>
>In the end, the company paid and continued in business.

They said the coffee was too hot at 180 degrees. Well according to my instant
read thermometer and my coffee pot a fresh brewed cup of coffee is between 175
and 180 degrees. Even if the coffee was "too hot" the woman was stupid for
trying to hold it in her lap. Actually the stupid ones were the jurors who
gave her the settlement. She wouldn't have received a dime if I were on the
jury.

DJS0302

>>I used to bake stuff for the bake sale
>>at my son's school. Then I found out that the were selling the stuff for

>less than
>>it cost me to make them. Nuts to that. All I was doing was providing someone

>with
>>cheap baked goods and the school was getting the money.

>Um. That's the *point* of it.

I remember when I was in grade school back in the 70's we would have "Homemade"
bake sales and we would charge 5¢ for a cookie, 10¢ for a brownie or similar
bar type cookie, and 15¢ for a cupcake. Nobody ever got sick although there
was one incident where a kid tried to jump off the school roof after eating a
brownie laced with angel dust.
D.Currie

"Puester" > wrote in message
> Alex Rast wrote:
>>

>> One of the ways society operates is under the premise that there are some
>> people who will give freely of their time, effort, and resources in order
>> to help other individuals or institutions without expecting any physical
>> compensation in return. In this case, the Association trusts that there
>> will be a certain number of people who will gladly provide baked items
>> without asking to be paid for the items they provide. That's the whole
>> way
>> by which these kinds of events make money.
>>
>> If you take the opposite viewpoint and require that everybody receive
>> compensation for their contributions, this is the pure free-market
>> capitalist economy, without any not-for-profit entities whatsoever. A
>> pure
>> free-market economy is a model some people advocate, but this would make
>> it
>> impossible (essentially, by definition) for Associations and other such
>> entities to operate. So such organisations assume from the start that
>> there
>> will be those who will contribute unconditionally.
>>
>> --

> But isn't there a disconnect when a group of people
> donate items that cost them $10 and the organization
> prices them at $2.50? The organization receives only
> a small percentage of the donated value and there's
> absolutely NO telling whether the purchasers/beneficiaries
> are impoverished or millionaires.
>
> gloria p

It's also possible that the people pricing the products had no idea what
they cost to make. They figure a cheap boxed cake mix and frosting costs a
buck and a half on sale, plus an egg or whatever, and $2.50 seems about
right to them. Never mind that you used some exotic nuts and expensive
flavorings; either they don't know the price of those things, or they didn't
know they were in there at all.

OR -- they've done these bake sales a dozen times and they know what the
market will pay for a home-baked cake. Consumers look at those things and
they really don't care if they buy a cake or not, they're buying as a
"donation" and they have no idea if it will be edible or not, so there's a
limit to what they'll pay. You know you used quality ingredients and a good
recipe and it's going to taste good, but the person buying doesn't know
that.

Derek Lyons

"D.Currie" > wrote:

>OR -- they've done these bake sales a dozen times and they know what the
>market will pay for a home-baked cake. Consumers look at those things and
>they really don't care if they buy a cake or not, they're buying as a
>"donation" and they have no idea if it will be edible or not, so there's a
>limit to what they'll pay.

Precisely.

I've bought many a baked good at bake sales, (I'm a sucker for them),
and the results have been... uneven at best.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Derek Lyons

Dave Smith > wrote:

>Derek Lyons wrote:
>
>> You mean the lady who bought a cup of coffee from a store that had
>> been warned on multiple occasions *because their coffee was much
>> hotter than recommended*?
>>

>I had had coffee from the same place and never burned by crotch, but that's
>because I knew enough to use my hands. :-)

From the same *corporation* or the *exact same store*? The first, by
and large, sold coffee within the guidelines. The second violated
them and paid.

Where the coffee was held has abzero to do with the issue.

D.