Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default When you think of osso buco...

What springs to mind when someone mentions osso buco? What kind of meat?
What cooking method? What kind of sauce? What kind of accompaniment?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i know nothing ab out it, maybe you can talk more about it? Lee
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> What springs to mind when someone mentions osso buco? What kind of meat?
> What cooking method? What kind of sauce? What kind of accompaniment?
>
> Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>, "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>What springs to mind when someone mentions osso buco? What kind of meat?
>What cooking method? What kind of sauce? What kind of accompaniment?

Stew.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> What springs to mind when someone mentions osso buco? What kind of meat?
> What cooking method? What kind of sauce? What kind of accompaniment?
>
> Bob

I don't understand why there is any question here. Veal shank, braise,
risotto Milanese. It is pretty standard stuff (and fantastic).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" > wrote in message

> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>> What springs to mind when someone mentions osso buco? What kind of meat?
>> What cooking method? What kind of sauce? What kind of accompaniment?
>>
>> Bob
>>

> I don't understand why there is any question here. Veal shank, braise,
> risotto Milanese. It is pretty standard stuff (and fantastic).

The term has been corrupted and is now sneaking into common
usage to mean any tough chunk of meat on a bone, braised.
I have seen pork shank osso buco, lamb shank osso buco,
no beef yet although it will come, it will come. A chef friend
attributes this change in usage to the increased expense of
good veal, which has priced the dish off of many restaurants,
and the apparent willingness of the Great Public to swallow
(literally, in this case) a fraud-turned-common practice.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" > wrote in message

> "Pico Rico" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>> eb.com...
>>> What springs to mind when someone mentions osso buco? What kind of meat?
>>> What cooking method? What kind of sauce? What kind of accompaniment?
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>

>> I don't understand why there is any question here. Veal shank, braise,
>> risotto Milanese. It is pretty standard stuff (and fantastic).

> The term has been corrupted and is now sneaking into common
> usage to mean any tough chunk of meat on a bone, braised.
> I have seen pork shank osso buco, lamb shank osso buco,
> no beef yet although it will come, it will come. A chef friend
> attributes this change in usage to the increased expense of
> good veal, which has priced the dish off of many restaurants,
> and the apparent willingness of the Great Public to swallow
> (literally, in this case) a fraud-turned-common practice.

I have seen braised lamb shank listed as such. thanks for the info. this
happens more and more - it may have started with people calling a certain
dish cooked with beef "Shepherd's Pie".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phred wrote:
>Terwilliger wrote:
>>What springs to mind when someone mentions osso buco? What kind of meat?
>>What cooking method? What kind of sauce? What kind of accompaniment?

>Stew.

What used to be peasant stew.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...sso-Buco-11052

Braised breast of veal is a much better route/value.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...of-Veal-107600

Even better is one of my signature dishes:
Teliatyna z Pidlyvoiu Iz Ikry (Braised Veal With Caviar Sauce)

To serve 6 to 8

3 tablespoons of butter
1 cup of thinly sliced onions
1 carrot, scraped and cut into 1/2 inch rounds
4 sprigs of parsley
2 stalks of celery with their leaves, cut into 2-inch lengths
3 bay leaves
3 whole cloves
1 tablespoon of finely chopped lemon peel
3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
3 1/ 2 to 4-pounds of boneless veal, cut from either the leg or the
rump and securely tied
1 cup of dry white wine (Sauvignon Blanc)
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons of potato starch dissolved in 2 tablespoons of cold water
2 tablespoons (1 ounce) black caviar
1/8 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
In a heavy 6-quart casserole, melt the butter over high heat.
Add the onions, carrot, parsley, celery, bay leaves, cloves and lemon
peel and cover the pan. Lower the heat and simmer for about 15
minutes, until the vegetables are soft but not brown. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 325° F. In a heavy 10- to 12-inch skillet,
heat the 3 tablespoons of oil over high heat until a light haze forms
above it. Add the veal and brown for 8 to 10 minutes, turning it every
2 or 3 minutes so that it browns evenly on all sides. Then place it on
top of the vegetables in the casserole and pour in the wine. Bring to
a boil over high heat, sprinkle the meat liberally with salt and a few
grindings of black pepper and cover the casserole tightly. Braise in
the center of the oven for 1 1/ 4 hours, turning the veal over after
45 minutes.
When the veal is tender, transfer it to a heated platter, cut
away the strings and carve the meat into 1/ 4 inch-thick slices.
Arrange them, slightly overlapping, down the center of a large platter
and cover the platter loosely with foil to keep the meat warm while
you make the sauce.
Quickly strain the entire contents of the casserole through a
fine sieve into a bowl, pressing down hard on the vegetables with the
back of a large spoon before discarding them. Skim off any surface fat
and return the braised juices to the casserole. Stir in the dissolved
potato starch. Then bring the sauce to a boil over high heat, stirring
constantly until it is lightly thickened and smooth. Reduce the heat
to low and gently stir in the caviar and lemon juice and taste for
seasoning. Pour in the sauce over the veal and serve at once, or if
you prefer, serve the sauce separately. =•••=
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> What springs to mind when someone mentions osso buco?

The city of Milano, home of one of the most renowned recipes for ossibuchi.

> What kind of meat?

Veal.

> What cooking method?

Stewing.

> What kind of sauce?

No tomato and peas (that'd be no more milanese, it would be *italian*), just
butter, EVO oil, broth, white wine, onion, a very little of concentrated
tomato paste and "gremolada", which is a mix of a lot of finely grated lemon
zest mixed with parsley and de-salted salted anchovies.

> What kind of accompaniment?

For the milanese ossibuchi, risotto alla milanese wihout or with very little
cheese.
My evrsion differs from the milanese since I add peas, as almost all of
Italy does, and I sometimes avoid both the lemon zest and the anchovies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 4, 5:50*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> What springs to mind whensomeone mentions osso buco? What kind of meat?
> What cooking method? What kind of sauce? What kind of accompaniment?
>
> Bob

As far as the meat goes, I think osso buco refers to veal shanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 4, 7:45*am, "ViLco" > wrote:
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> > What springs to mind when someone mentions osso buco?

> The city of Milano, home of one of the most renowned recipes for ossibuchi.
>
> > What kind of meat?

> Veal.
>
> > What cooking method?

> Stewing.

In the US I see mostly slices of shank, not the whole thing. And when
I make it using whole shanks, I use a heavy roasting pan in the oven.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Nov 4, 6:37*am, "pavane" > wrote:

> > I don't understand why there is any question here. *Veal shank, braise,
> > risotto Milanese. *It is pretty standard stuff (and fantastic).

> The term has been corrupted and is now sneaking into common
> usage to mean any tough chunk of meat on a bone, braised.
> I have seen pork shank osso buco, lamb shank osso buco,
> no beef yet although it will come, it will come. *A chef friend
> attributes this change in usage to the increased expense of
> good veal, which has priced the dish off of many restaurants,
> and the apparent willingness of the Great Public to swallow
> (literally, in this case) a fraud-turned-common practice.

I think fraud is a pretty harsh term. To me it is a methodology and
an outline for a classic dish. If you don't have veal I see nothing
wrong with using lamb or pork or anything else.

Here's my recipe, and I've made it with all the above and it's
wonderful.

http://www.hizzoners.com/southern-co...252-osso-bucco

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Nov 4, 10:33*am, ImStillMags > wrote:

> I think fraud is a pretty harsh term. * *To me it is a methodology and
> an outline for a classic dish. *If you don't have veal I see nothing
> wrong with using lamb or pork or anything else.

Spoken like a former restaurant owner. The classic dish is made with
veal shank. If you make it with lamb it can be delicious and it can
be "in the style of" but it's not osso buco and you shouldn't call it
that on your menu. Ymmv, but I think names should mean something. -
aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 06:16:52 -0700, "Pico Rico" > wrote:

>I don't understand why there is any question here. Veal shank, braise,
>risotto Milanese. It is pretty standard stuff (and fantastic).

Yes. Perfect. And maybe sauteed asparagus with it.

Lamb shank is a delicious variation, but then it's no longer osso buco.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
On Nov 4, 10:33 am, ImStillMags > wrote:

> I think fraud is a pretty harsh term. To me it is a methodology and
> an outline for a classic dish. If you don't have veal I see nothing
> wrong with using lamb or pork or anything else.

Spoken like a former restaurant owner. The classic dish is made with
veal shank. If you make it with lamb it can be delicious and it can
be "in the style of" but it's not osso buco and you shouldn't call it
that on your menu. Ymmv, but I think names should mean something. -
aem

+1

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" > wrote in message

> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>> What springs to mind when someone mentions osso buco? What kind of
>> meat? What cooking method? What kind of sauce? What kind of
>> accompaniment?
>> Bob
>>

> I don't understand why there is any question here. Veal shank,
> braise, risotto Milanese. It is pretty standard stuff (and
> fantastic).

What he said. But don't forget the gremolata.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pico Rico wrote:

> I don't understand why there is any question here. Veal shank, braise,
> risotto Milanese. It is pretty standard stuff (and fantastic).

I've seen the dish served with various starches. Rice as a risotto,
rice with a simpler sauce, mashed potato.

When making it ourselves we don't always get veal. Sometimes it's from
a grown up cow. Technically not Osso Buco but just as good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 09:37:27 -0400, "pavane" >
wrote:

> A chef friend
> attributes this change in usage to the increased expense of
> good veal, which has priced the dish off of many restaurants,
> and the apparent willingness of the Great Public to swallow
> (literally, in this case) a fraud-turned-common practice.

If the sauce tastes good, people don't care. What about schnitzel?
It's not strictly veal anymore. They make it out of pork too. Same
idea.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 15:04:49 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> I will see how it works out. $13 + for three shanks,

You either got small lamb shanks or your cost is less than mine. I
figure $13/14 for two of them and then I pass.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 09:37:27 -0400, "pavane" >
> wrote:
>
>> A chef friend
>> attributes this change in usage to the increased expense of
>> good veal, which has priced the dish off of many restaurants,
>> and the apparent willingness of the Great Public to swallow
>> (literally, in this case) a fraud-turned-common practice.

> If the sauce tastes good, people don't care. What about schnitzel?
> It's not strictly veal anymore. They make it out of pork too. Same
> idea.

yes, but if they call it veiner schnitzel, they are lying.

If it is not veal, call it braised lamb shanks, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote:

>>> What springs to mind when someone mentions osso buco? What kind of meat?
>>> What cooking method? What kind of sauce? What kind of accompaniment?

>> I don't understand why there is any question here. Veal shank, braise,
>> risotto Milanese. It is pretty standard stuff (and fantastic).

> The term has been corrupted and is now sneaking into common
> usage to mean any tough chunk of meat on a bone, braised.
> I have seen pork shank osso buco, lamb shank osso buco,
> no beef yet although it will come, it will come. A chef friend
> attributes this change in usage to the increased expense of
> good veal, which has priced the dish off of many restaurants,
> and the apparent willingness of the Great Public to swallow
> (literally, in this case) a fraud-turned-common practice.

That's why I brought it up here. I've eaten beef shanks braised into what
was called osso buco, and found myself loving it (even *more* than had the
dish been made with veal). I've also seen braised lamb shanks called "osso
buco" and served with polenta.

My question about accompaniments stems from a discussion I had with Giusi
elsewhere; she stated that she didn't believe risotto *should* be paired
with osso buco. (Presumably, this is because risotto is a "primi" dish and
osso buco a "segundi" dish.) She went on to state that polenta was a
traditional accompaniment to that Roman dish osso buco. (She later retracted
the assertion that osso buco is Roman rather than Milanese.)

So if non-veal meats are not allowed to be called "osso buco", are you then
forced to use a long description of the dish you're making or eating, e.g.,
"tied lamb shank braised with wine, garnished with mint-lemon-garlic
gremolata" rather than "lamb osso buco"?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 20:38:14 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> So if non-veal meats are not allowed to be called "osso buco", are you then
> forced to use a long description of the dish you're making or eating, e.g.,
> "tied lamb shank braised with wine, garnished with mint-lemon-garlic
> gremolata" rather than "lamb osso buco"?

I'm just a peasant when it comes to these things, but lamb osso buco
is enough for me. I know it's not the "real thing" and I know what
they're substituting. They could say "lamb braised in the style of
osso buco" but that's too stilted.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> My question about accompaniments stems from a discussion I had with Giusi
> elsewhere; she stated that she didn't believe risotto *should* be paired
> with osso buco.

I said I do not ever LIKE risotto WITH things, but love it before things.
If you want to argue with me in a venue away from where we werr talking, at
least quote me and don't paraphrase incorrectly.

>(Presumably, this is because risotto is a "primi" dish and
> osso buco a "segundi" dish.) She went on to state that polenta was a
> traditional accompaniment to that Roman dish osso buco. (She later
> retracted
> the assertion that osso buco is Roman rather than Milanese.)

Again the paraphrasing. It's prino, not primi and secondo not segundi. I
never saidf polenta belonged with any version of osso buco, I was promoting
braised short ribs or braised pork with polenta as an ideal fall meal.

Bob, this is very unattractive of you. We were calmly discussing a menu
elsewhere and suddenly you want to carry the discussion here. What you
really want is to have a fight that I already conceded to you in a place
where you can arrange the fight as you like. It won't change that the osso
buco I am served here is a very different dish from the real thing or that I
don't like it. It won't change that I politely posted a link to a site
showing how a Milanese chef makes osso buco. It won't ever change that I am
up front and honest in an exchange and you are not. I'm ashamed of you.
You are being a bully.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

>> My question about accompaniments stems from a discussion I had with Giusi
>> elsewhere; she stated that she didn't believe risotto *should* be paired
>> with osso buco.

> I said I do not ever LIKE risotto WITH things, but love it before things.
> If you want to argue with me in a venue away from where we werr talking,
> at least quote me and don't paraphrase incorrectly.

So you agree that you don't believe risotto should be paired WITH osso buco?
Therefore what I wrote was true, and you're just trying to start a fight
where no fight existed?

> Bob, this is very unattractive of you. We were calmly discussing a menu
> elsewhere and suddenly you want to carry the discussion here. What you
> really want is to have a fight that I already conceded to you in a place
> where you can arrange the fight as you like.

Giusi, this is very irrational of you. We were discussing the meaning of
"osso buco" in a thread where the OP wanted dinner ideas but had not decided
on anything concrete. Our discussion had wandered far afield of what she
wanted to talk about. There was no "fight" in anything I wrote. I quoted
Wikipedia while acknowledging that it is not a completely reliable source of
information. Did you think THAT was some kind of fight?

You also seem to be upset that I asked a cooking-related question of this
group inspired by the discussion on RFC Facebook. And since you seem so keen
for me to quote you, your comments about Usenet RFC were, "Bob, you are
nuts. You very aggressively carried this to RFC whedn I said I wouldn't. So
whatever.... take a poll of that bunch of yahoos". Of course, if I had said
that YOU were nuts, the moderators would have kicked me right out of the
forum, but YOU can get away with that kind of thing. What the HELL was
aggressive about posting here?

> It won't change that the osso buco I am served here is a very different
> dish from the real thing or that I don't like it. It won't change that I
> politely posted a link to a site showing how a Milanese chef makes osso
> buco.

You posted that link AFTER I'd opened the discussion here. I asked if we
could move the discussion to RFC and waited.... After about 30 minutes, I
posted my question here, thinking you were waiting for me to post. You got
upset at my posting, and replied two hours after my initial request. How
long do you think I should have waited in the face of your non-response?

> It won't ever change that I am up front and honest in an exchange and you
> are not. I'm ashamed of you. You are being a bully.

In what was was I not "up front and honest"? You are being a drama queen
playing the victim.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 4, 6:37*am, "pavane" > wrote:
> "Pico Rico" > wrote in message

> > "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> web.com...
> >> What springs to mind when someone mentions osso buco? What kind of meat?
> >> What cooking method? What kind of sauce? What kind of accompaniment?

> >> Bob

> > I don't understand why there is any question here. *Veal shank, braise,
> > risotto Milanese. *It is pretty standard stuff (and fantastic).

> The term has been corrupted and is now sneaking into common
> usage to mean any tough chunk of meat on a bone, braised.
> I have seen pork shank osso buco, lamb shank osso buco,
> no beef yet although it will come, it will come. *A chef friend
> attributes this change in usage to the increased expense of
> good veal, which has priced the dish off of many restaurants,
> and the apparent willingness of the Great Public to swallow
> (literally, in this case) a fraud-turned-common practice.

Veal has always been expensive, so I can't picture a sudden trend.

The trouble with non veal osso buco is the seasoning would have to
change to suit pork or lamb, making the dishes quite different.Veal is
about the blandest of hoofed meats.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 4, 4:50*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> What springs to mind when someone mentions osso buco? What kind of meat?
> What cooking method? What kind of sauce? What kind of accompaniment?
>
> Bob

When I think of Osso Buco I am thinking of one of my most favorite
dishes. Veal shanks, braised with red wine, Risotto or some times I
will make it with mashed potatoes or Israeli couscous.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 5, 5:53*am, rosie > wrote:
> On Nov 4, 4:50*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
> wrote:
>
> > What springs to mind when someone mentions osso buco? What kind of meat?
> > What cooking method? What kind of sauce? What kind of accompaniment?

> > Bob

> When I think of Osso Buco I am thinking of one of my most favorite
> dishes. Veal shanks, braised *with red wine, Risotto or some times I
> will make it with mashed potatoes or Israeli couscous.

I hate risotto, btw: so little reward for so much effort, IMHO. So I
would probably make polenta.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> i know nothing ab out it, maybe you can talk more about it? Lee
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>> What springs to mind when someone mentions osso buco? What kind of meat?
>> What cooking method? What kind of sauce? What kind of accompaniment?
>>
>> Bob

I think of veal shanks. Not something I buy.

I do buy lamb shanks occasionally (I should look for them) and make a
different kind of stew

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/11/2011 3:45 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I think of veal shanks. Not something I buy.
>
> I do buy lamb shanks occasionally (I should look for them) and make a
> different kind of stew

That's what's on the menu for dinner tomorrow. I am doing lamb shanks
braised in dark ale.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 > wrote:

> I hate risotto, btw: so little reward for so much effort, IMHO.

You are probably being fed false information about how much effort
it is.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> What springs to mind when someone mentions osso buco? What kind of meat?
> What cooking method? What kind of sauce? What kind of accompaniment?
>
> Bob

It's never been 'mentioned' to me, except via the menu of a decent
Italian ristorante. I wouldn't order it tho. I lean toward the
cheesier dishes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/11/2011 4:54 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Nov 4, 5:50 am, "Bob >
> wrote:
>> What springs to mind when someone mentions osso buco? What kind of meat?
>> What cooking method? What kind of sauce? What kind of accompaniment?
>>
>> Bob

> It's never been 'mentioned' to me, except via the menu of a decent
> Italian ristorante. I wouldn't order it tho. I lean toward the
> cheesier dishes.

I have never had it in an Italian restaurant. I have made it at home a
few times and it has always been good. There are a lot of Italians
around here and there is a grocery store nearby that is run by and
caters to Italians. They often have good deals on sliced veal shanks and
whenever I come across them I grab some and make osso buca.

Hmmm ,, I have often said that my wife is the braising queen, and she is
the one who taught me how to braise and get good rich flavours. She has
made me incredible beef stews, short ribs, ox tails. She has only
occasionally done braised chicken dishes for me, and she has NEVER done
Osso Buca for me. I am starting to think that maybe she should, and I
say that only because she does such a good job on stewed dishes that it
is bound to be better than mine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
m...
> On 05/11/2011 3:45 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>

>> I think of veal shanks. Not something I buy.
>>
>> I do buy lamb shanks occasionally (I should look for them) and make a
>> different kind of stew
>>

> That's what's on the menu for dinner tomorrow. I am doing lamb shanks
> braised in dark ale.

Sounds good to me! Next time I go to the meat market I'll look for lamb
shanks. I love them! I haven't had them in a couple of years

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> spamtrap1888 > wrote:
>
>> I hate risotto, btw: so little reward for so much effort, IMHO.

> You are probably being fed false information about how much effort
> it is.
>
> Steve

I don't know about that, Steve. First you have to have arborio rice. Then,
according to recipes I've read, you do have to stir stir stir... constantly.
I've only ever had it twice in restaurants but I was not impressed enough to
care to make it at home. It's just a different kind of rice with lots more
effort. I'd rather just put short grain rice in a pot, add some stock and
seasonings, cover, and let it simmer on low for 20 minutes.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

>> spamtrap1888 > wrote:

>>> I hate risotto, btw: so little reward for so much effort, IMHO.

>> You are probably being fed false information about how much effort
>> it is.

> I don't know about that, Steve. First you have to have arborio rice.

True. I buy this at Trader Joe's, even without them it would not be
too hard to find.

> Then, according to recipes I've read, you do have to stir
> stir stir... constantly.

So far as I can tell, this isn't actually true. In most cases,
it needs to be stirred for a couple seconds every 3 to 4 minutes.
Then, just at the very end it needs a steady 15, or at most 30, seconds
of stirring. It really is not much effort (at least, for a small
batch).

> I've only ever had it twice in restaurants but I was not
> impressed enough to care to make it at home. It's just a
> different kind of rice with lots more effort.

In fact I find arborio to be a somewhat more forgiving variety of rice
to cook than most. One issue is it's expense.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 19:19:36 -0400, "jmcquown" > wrote:

>I don't know about that, Steve. First you have to have arborio rice.

Or carnaroli, or vialone nano, or two other relatively obscure varietes that I
can never find or remember. But then I always have at least two of these, plus
basmati and calasparra, around in quantity. Carnaroli is my favorite.

> Then, according to recipes I've read, you do have to stir stir stir... constantly.

The stirring (or beating) helps in producing the creaminess of the finished
dish, and equalizing the cooking of all the rice. It's not like you're standing
there whisking away furiously. It's easy to fit the stirring in with cooking the
other components to be added late to the risotto or served with it. The entire
meal cooking time is around 25 minutes.

>I've only ever had it twice in restaurants but I was not impressed enough to
>care to make it at home.

I guess you haven't had proper risotto, then. There is a lot of crappy rice out
there listed on menus as risotto. I seldom find restaurant risotto that can
compare to my own. All but the most caring restaurants take shortcuts with their
risotto -- par cooking, and refrigerating in a jelly roll pan until ordered.
Many don't even use a proper rice, or take the time to prepare a proper sofrito.

> It's just a different kind of rice with lots more
>effort. I'd rather just put short grain rice in a pot, add some stock and
>seasonings, cover, and let it simmer on low for 20 minutes.

No, it's not. It's unique -- no other rice dish has the external creaminess and
the internal "tooth" of risotto. And risotto rice cooks and tastes quite
different from other short-grain rices, such as calasparra paella rice.

I guess I was fortunate to be introduced to risotto in Milan, and shortly
thereafter from a well-known chef in Boston's North End. We have risotto every
week, and make crunchy risotto cakes from the leftovers. It's one of my very
favorite dishes.

-- Larry

Osso Buco Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 17-01-2008 02:42 AM
The kind of posts we (ok, I am) are missing now: Osso buco TammyM General Cooking 6 22-10-2006 08:49 PM
Appetizer and Dessert to serve with Osso Buco & Risotto Milanese? Kate B General Cooking 5 23-12-2003 12:22 AM
Osso Bucco leo General Cooking 10 14-12-2003 05:33 AM