Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The kind of posts we (ok, I am) are missing now: Osso buco

We've spoken about some of the gone-but-not-forgotten folks. Kay
Hartman is one of those. She's a good friend of mine, so I at least
have opportunity to hang with her (I even sous cheffed at her big
shindig a year ago). But I do miss the kinds of posts she used to
make. Along with Joel Erlich, Andy Pforz, Dan Masi, Iain Liddell...
and on and on and onn.

So here's a little blast from the past, originally posted in 1996. I
think Jack Schidt may have reposted it here at some time too.

From Kay Hartman, November 8, 1996
The osso bucco that I made for my Italian dinner was provided to me
by Jeane Bell. My uncle is still raving about it. Jeane combined
several recipes to come up with this one. I want to thank Jeane
for all of the help she gave me with the dinner.

I forgot to add the Gremolata, but nobody seemed to miss it.

Kay

Jeane's Osso Buco

Gremolata:

2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
2 garlic cloves, minced

Osso Buco:

2 medium oranges
5 tablespoons butter
5 tablespoons olive oil
12 pieces hind veal shanks (1 pound each)
All-purpose flour
1 large onion, chopped
2 large leeks, green portion trimmed to 3 inches, halved lengthwise,
thinly sliced
4 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, finely chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
3 basil leaves, chopped
2 lemon peel strips, chopped
1 cup dry white wine
2 28-ounce cans Italian plum tomatoes, juices reserved
2 cups home made beef stock [I used the broth that I also used for
the soup and the risotto]
5 sprigs fresh parsley
1/3 teaspoon dried thyme (or more to taste)
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper
Lemon juice

1. Combine Gremolata ingredients. Cover and let stand.

2. Remove the white pith from the oranges. Cut between the
membranes with a small knife to release the segments.

3. Position the rack in the lowest third of the oven and preheat
to 375 degrees F.

4. Melt the butter and oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.

5. Using kitchen twine, tie each shank in two places to keep their
shape. Dredge the shanks in flour, shaking off the excess.

6. In the Dutch oven, brown the shanks on all sides.

7. Add the onion, carrots, leeks, garlic, basil, lemon peel, and
orange segments. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until the
fruit and vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.

8. Stir in the white wine. Cook until the wine is evaporated. Add
drained plum tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, beef stock, parsley,
thyme, and bay leaf and bring to a boil.

9. Arrange the veal upright in the Dutch oven (the liquid should be
3/4 up the sides of the shanks - add reserved tomato juices if
needed). Cover and bake, basting every 30 minutes, for about 1 1/2
hours. Using tongs, transfer the veal carefully to a platter. Boil
the cooking liquid until it is thickened and reduced by half. [Jack
was so thrilled with the texture of the sauce at this point that he
asked me not to reduce it. I gave him his wish.] Season with salt,
pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice.

[At this point, the veal was very tough. It was late so we popped
the osso buco in the fridge. In the morning, we decided to cook
the veal some more, but Jack didn't want to cook the sauce more
because he thought it was perfect. We removed the shanks from the
sauce and placed them in a baking dish with enough water to cover
3/4 of the height of the veal. We baked the veal at a very low
temperature (300 degrees F) until it was very tender. It took
another 1 to 1 1/2 hours. The water picked up a lot of flavor
agents from the veal, including tomato sauce, so we reduced the
liquid and added it to the sauce.]

10. Remove the twine. Pour the sauce over the veal. Sprinkle with
the Gremolata.

Serves 12
Can be made one day ahead and refrigerated.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
.... recipe snipped (and saved)...

Thank you...

Next up -- Anne Bourget's meatloaf???

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Oct 2006 11:15:19 -0700, "kuvasz guy" > wrote:

>TammyM wrote:
>... recipe snipped (and saved)...
>
>Thank you...
>
>Next up -- Anne Bourget's meatloaf???
>
>..fred

This post?

Christine

This whole thing started because Susan Steinsapir, her husband, and a
mutual friend were at my house attempting to download Slipknot so that
could have more fun than Lynx provided in surfing the www. The whole
thing turned into a much bigger project than expected. Dinner time
rolled
around and I had to improvise fast. I had some meatloaf in the
refrigerator so that became the start attraction. Yes, I was
embarrassed
to be serving meatloaf to guests, but that was the best that I could
do
at the time.

Susan has been on my back asking about how I made it ever since. I
have
posted the recipe because Susan has told so many people in r.f.c.
about
it. Then I posted it again. Every day must bring at least one e-mail
request for the recipe.

First of all, this isn't my recipe. I had it served to me by a
friend's
mother. And *she* was embarrassed to be serving *me* meatloaf. It was
the
best I had ever had. She is an immigrant from northern Italy, and
everything she makes is utterly delicious. Her popcorn even tasted
special to me.

Anyway, I am going to give you the recipe as it was given to me, and I
will also tell you how I changed it a bit, because I know that Maria
Pia
was just guessing on measurements.

MARIA PIA'S MEATLOAF

Serving: 4
1 lb. ground meat
1 egg
2 oz. milk
4 oz. approximately of French bread - no crust
Small onion chopped (raw or sauteed in butter)
1 clove of garlic
1/2 grated cheese (asiago or parmesan)
2 tablespoons parsley
1/4 lb. ground mortadella or pork

Mix ingredients: first the egg, milk, and bread; then add the rest.
Place
in buttered loaf pan for 1 hour.

Buon Appetito!

Maria Pia Breschi
Weed, California

Anne's version:

I don't measure anything. Use mixture of ground chuck, sirloin, and
pork.
(Have been too lazy to search out and pay higher price for
mortadella.)

Use large onion and sauteed slowly in butter for a long time.

Lots of cloves of garlic

Lots and lots of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (I know, it doesn't make
sense to use such good cheese in a meatloaf and then refuse to pay for
mortadella. But I often don't make sense and when it comes to parmesan
-
for me it HAS to be Parmigiano-Reggiano. Whatever you do, do not use
that
mysterious stuff that comes in a green shaker canister.)

Parsley - a wash and dry an entire bunch of Italian flat leaf and then
chop it in the food processor.

Lots of freshly ground black pepper.

I mold it into a loaf on a jelly roll pan and bake at 350 degrees for
about an hour.

I am convinced that it is the large amount of cheese and parsley that
really makes this meatloaf so special. The aroma that it sends
throughout
the house while it is cooking is marvelous.

AND IT MEAN IT! I AM NOT GOING TO POST THIS RECIPE EVER AGAIN.

Happy meatloaf eating.

Anne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> >Next up -- Anne Bourget's meatloaf???
> >
> >..fred

> This post?
>
> Christine

<LOL> yes, that's the one... Thanks...

I think it's worthy of it's own thread. (and maybe a spot on the
website).

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Oct 2006 12:11:27 -0700, "kuvasz guy" > wrote:

>Christine Dabney wrote:

><LOL> yes, that's the one... Thanks...
>
>I think it's worthy of it's own thread. (and maybe a spot on the
>website).
>
>..fred

And how about her brownies?

Christine

CORRECTED - clarification sought by many and Anne responds:

: I must confess that I make very good brownies - and they are my own
: creation. Actually, a combination of my mother's recipe and several others
: tried and tweeked over the years. And since I have a pan baking in the
: oven right now, I thought that this would be a good time to share with
: rec.food.cooking - the chocolate aroma is streaming through the house.

: ANNE BOURGET'S CHOCOLATE FUDGE BROWNIES

: Brownies:

: 2 sticks (4 oz. EACH) unsalted butter
: 4 squares (sq.=1 oz.) Bakers unsweetened chocolate
: 2 cups sugar
: 3 large eggs
: pinch of salt
: 1 cup flour (unsifted all-purpose unbleached)
: vanilla extract (DO NOT USE IMITATION VANILLA FLAVORING - IT RUINS
EVERYTHING THAT IT COMES IN CONTACT WITH..ISH)

: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare baking pan (lightly butter and
: dust with flour). I use an ancient 7x11" metal (aluminum?) pan (I don't
like baking in porcelain dishes).

: Melt chocolate and 1 stick (4 oz.) of butter in saucepan. Be careful
not to burn chocolate! And add pinch of salt.

: In the bowl of an electric mixer cream the remaining stick (4 oz.) of
butter with the sugar, scraping down the sides as needed. Add eggs one
at time and beat about 1 minute between each. Add vanilla extract
- I like a lot of vanilla and usually just kind of pour it in (2 - 3
teaspoons?)

: Now most recipes will tell you to let the melted chocolate cool before
: adding to the batter. I don't - I prefer to add it while it is warm and
: yes, even hot. I just dump the chocolate-butter mixture in and blend well.
: (Note: don't wash saucepan, because you will use it for the frosting.)

: Add the flour and mix JUST UNTIL BLENDED. Do not over beat!

: Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake 35 -45 minutes. The
: difference in timing depends on your oven and particular taste. I bake them
: for only 35 minutes, because I like them fudgey rather than cake-like.

: COOL ON WIRE RACK.

: FUDGE FROSTING:

: 1 square Bakers unsweetened chocolate
: 1 cup sugar
: 1/2 cup heavy cream (all the better if it has soured or for the
ultimate I use creme fraiche - I know, I am very naughty)
: pinch of salt
: vanilla extract

: In the same saucepan that you melted the chocolate and butter for the
: brownies, add the chocolate, sugar, cream, and pinch of salt. Cook
: over medium heat to the soft ball stage. AGAIN, BEING CAREFUL NOT TO
BURN THE CHOCOLATE, WHICH BURNS EASILY) Try to resist stirring
once it has melted in order to avoid sugaring of the frosting.

: Remove from heat and transfer to a clean mixing bowl of an electric mixer
and beat until cool and thickened to fudge frosting consistency adding
vanilla extract TO TASTE (love vanilla - but do as you please in the
amount required.) Frost brownies and let frosting set before cut into
squares.

: Now these brownies are very, very rich. I cut them in about 1 1/2"
: squares, which I realize must seem small. But these are really killer
: brownies. They are wonderful served with a scoop of good vanilla ice cream.

: Also, a word about nuts. I despise them (especially walnuts) and can't
: even stand to touch them, however, I realize that many of you will want to
: add nuts. I say go for it. Just be sure that they are chopped fine enough
: to allow you to cut them into bars without having them falling apart.

: Enjoy.

: Anne Bourget

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On 22 Oct 2006 12:11:27 -0700, "kuvasz guy" > wrote:
>

> >Christine Dabney wrote:

> ><LOL> yes, that's the one... Thanks...
> >
> >I think it's worthy of it's own thread. (and maybe a spot on the
> >website).
> >
> >..fred

> And how about her brownies?
>
> Christine

You've found my weakness... I didn't know about this one. Do you
think Barb will forgive me if I try someone elses recipe??

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Oct 2006 12:25:15 -0700, "kuvasz guy" > wrote:

>> And how about her brownies?
>>
>> Christine
>>

>You've found my weakness... I didn't know about this one. Do you
>think Barb will forgive me if I try someone elses recipe??
>
>..fred

You didn't know about Anne's brownies???!!!!! Those are as legendary
as Barb's brownies!

Try them...

I can't speak for Barb's reaction though..

Christine

When you think of osso buco... Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 114 16-11-2011 05:28 PM
Osso Buco Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 17-01-2008 02:42 AM
Missing posts limey General Cooking 5 12-01-2006 03:17 AM
Appetizer and Dessert to serve with Osso Buco & Risotto Milanese? Kate B General Cooking 5 23-12-2003 12:22 AM