Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tiny kitchens

When I got my new stove, I did miss the flat part of the backboard to
put spices and other things on, but I found an alternative that's going
to work better.

http://i44.tinypic.com/ivib8l.jpg

I'd like to convert the set of drawers to the left of my stove into
something more like a tiny pantry. Have you seen something that would
work for that?

I still need to redo my cabinet doors to white to match my new kitchen
style. I just haven't had the time. I just transferred to another
department at work and am afraid to take time off right now.

I really need to make the most of my tiny kitchen. My dad built me a
couple of shelves that I still need to put up and they will fit
perfectly over the two entrances into the kitchen. I'd love to have a
hanging pot rack but that won't work. I think I'll put my small
cookbook collection on those shelves. I have to be sure to completely
fill them or else my cats will think they are highways to jump on. lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 22:34:22 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>I really need to make the most of my tiny kitchen. My dad built me a
>couple of shelves that I still need to put up and they will fit
>perfectly over the two entrances into the kitchen. I'd love to have a
>hanging pot rack but that won't work. I think I'll put my small
>cookbook collection on those shelves.

I'd never store my books in a kitchen Over time, they will be a mess
on the top of the pages.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/2/2011 10:54 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 22:34:22 -0400, >
> wrote:
>

>> I really need to make the most of my tiny kitchen. My dad built me a
>> couple of shelves that I still need to put up and they will fit
>> perfectly over the two entrances into the kitchen. I'd love to have a
>> hanging pot rack but that won't work. I think I'll put my small
>> cookbook collection on those shelves.

> I'd never store my books in a kitchen Over time, they will be a mess
> on the top of the pages.

I can hang the shelves elsewhere. Thanks for the insight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/2/2011 11:20 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 11/2/2011 10:54 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 22:34:22 -0400, >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I really need to make the most of my tiny kitchen. My dad built me a
>>> couple of shelves that I still need to put up and they will fit
>>> perfectly over the two entrances into the kitchen. I'd love to have a
>>> hanging pot rack but that won't work. I think I'll put my small
>>> cookbook collection on those shelves.

>> I'd never store my books in a kitchen Over time, they will be a mess
>> on the top of the pages.

> I can hang the shelves elsewhere. Thanks for the insight.

I'm not attached to the wall with the calendar so a pantry that extends
from the floor to ceiling isn't out of the question. I think it might
have to be custom. I'd like to keep a little countertop for the KA.
There's not much space for it without that little nook.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 2, 9:34*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> When I got my new stove, I did miss the flat part of the backboard to
> put spices and other things on, but I found an alternative that's going
> to work better.
>
> http://i44.tinypic.com/ivib8l.jpg

Where did you get the shelf over the stove??? I like it.

I put a pot rack up last year over my kitchen window as that's the
_only_ place I had, sure has been a great addition. Looks nice,
too!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" wrote in message ...

On 11/2/2011 11:20 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 11/2/2011 10:54 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 22:34:22 -0400, >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I really need to make the most of my tiny kitchen. My dad built me a
>>> couple of shelves that I still need to put up and they will fit
>>> perfectly over the two entrances into the kitchen. I'd love to have a
>>> hanging pot rack but that won't work. I think I'll put my small
>>> cookbook collection on those shelves.

>> I'd never store my books in a kitchen Over time, they will be a mess
>> on the top of the pages.

> I can hang the shelves elsewhere. Thanks for the insight.

I'm not attached to the wall with the calendar so a pantry that extends
from the floor to ceiling isn't out of the question. I think it might
have to be custom. I'd like to keep a little countertop for the KA.
There's not much space for it without that little nook.

- - - - - - - - - -

Can that wall with the calendar be removed? When my brother and
sister-in-law built their new home, they had a very narrow set of shelves
built into a space like that. The shelves are actually built into a unit
that slides out, and the shelves are adjustable. They use some for spices,
some for soup, etc.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 22:34:22 -0400, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>

>>I really need to make the most of my tiny kitchen. My dad built me a
>>couple of shelves that I still need to put up and they will fit
>>perfectly over the two entrances into the kitchen. I'd love to have a
>>hanging pot rack but that won't work. I think I'll put my small
>>cookbook collection on those shelves.

> I'd never store my books in a kitchen Over time, they will be a mess
> on the top of the pages.

I kept mine in the kitchen for about 4 years and they were fine. Currently
they are in the dining room closet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> http://i44.tinypic.com/ivib8l.jpg
>
> I'd like to convert the set of drawers to the left of my stove into
> something more like a tiny pantry. Have you seen something that would
> work for that?
>
> I really need to make the most of my tiny kitchen. My dad built me a
> couple of shelves that I still need to put up and they will fit perfectly
> over the two entrances into the kitchen. I'd love to have a hanging pot
> rack but that won't work.

I can't get the photo to load due to internet probs, but I do havce an idea
for you. I have a vertical potrack made by setting a strong hook into a
ceiling beam and dropping a chain from it. Using SS ess hooks I can hang an
enormous amount of stuff on it. It just needs to be out of the pathways.
It's cheap and fast and flexible.

I agree with keeping cookbooks out of the kitchen if it's small. Over the
door makes them too high to bother with at busy times, anyway. I'd use them
for baskets, etc. that you use seldom and don't hurt if a cat knocks them on
your head or cast iron that they can't move.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>When I got my new stove, I did miss the flat part of the backboard to
>put spices and other things on, but I found an alternative that's going
>to work better.
>
>http://i44.tinypic.com/ivib8l.jpg
>
>I really need to make the most of my tiny kitchen.

Then get rid of all that chatzki/chazzerei... with so many *things*
cluttering your stove area you must spend all your time wiping
schmutz. That doesn't look like a kitchen, looks much more like a
flea market. I'd hate to see your terlit... you probably need to
remove a crateful of knick knacks from the seat before you can pee.
Really, put all that stuff in another room, or put up shelves in your
garage, or build a shed in your yard. No one needs a stand mixer out
at all times and certainly not right at your stove... even in that
picture it looks dirty, at least get a cover for it. There's no room
to use it in that spot anyway... I bet if you use it six times a year
it's a lot, stow in the bottom of a clothes closet. I got rid of my
stand mixer(s) years ago, a good hand mixer is far more useful and
stores in a small space.... most mixing jobs all you need is a small
bowl, in fact most times before I use my hand mixer I use a wire whip,
a fork, or a wooden spoon... and often all you need do is dump the
ingredients into a qt mayo jar, screw on the cap and shake.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" <> wrote
>> "Cheryl" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> > http://i44.tinypic.com/ivib8l.jpg
>> >
>> > I'd like to convert the set of drawers to the left of my stove into
>> > something more like a tiny pantry. Have you seen something that would
>> > work for that?
>> >
>> > I really need to make the most of my tiny kitchen. My dad built me a
>> > couple of shelves that I still need to put up and they will fit
>> > perfectly
>> > over the two entrances into the kitchen. I'd love to have a hanging
>> > pot
>> > rack but that won't work.

>> I can't get the photo to load due to internet probs, but I do havce an
>> idea
>> for you. I have a vertical potrack made by setting a strong hook into a
>> ceiling beam and dropping a chain from it. Using SS ess hooks I can hang
>> an
>> enormous amount of stuff on it. It just needs to be out of the pathways.
>> It's cheap and fast and flexible.
>>
>> I agree with keeping cookbooks out of the kitchen if it's small.

> If she knocks out the end wall to make a pantry she could include a book
> shelf
>
> I keep cookery books on a dedicated shelf in the walk-in pantry; close
> to hand but clean and dry, and next to them the card file of collected
> recipes and next to that the great untidy wodge of recipe pages torn out
> of magazines, printed off the internet.
>
> Janet

I use my cookbooks every day and I keep them close at hand. What would you
be 'saving' them for? I did actually wear one out but it was easy enough to
replace.
Spices should be kept in a cool dark place.
Painting your cabinets white might be a mistake. Keeping them nice-looking
could be a constant chore. The cabinets in my bathroom are painted white
and it's a nuisance.
That is a gorgeous new stove. Wow. Keep your instructions for it close
at hand; it'll take a while to learn all the features. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 2, 10:34*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> When I got my new stove, I did miss the flat part of the backboard to
> put spices and other things on, but I found an alternative that's going
> to work better.
>
> http://i44.tinypic.com/ivib8l.jpg
>
> I'd like to convert the set of drawers to the left of my stove into
> something more like a tiny pantry. *Have you seen something that would
> work for that?
>
> I still need to redo my cabinet doors to white to match my new kitchen
> style. *I just haven't had the time. *I just transferred to another
> department at work and am afraid to take time off right now.
>
> I really need to make the most of my tiny kitchen. *My dad built me a
> couple of shelves that I still need to put up and they will fit
> perfectly over the two entrances into the kitchen. *I'd love to have a
> hanging pot rack but that won't work. *I think I'll put my small
> cookbook collection on those shelves. *I have to be sure to completely
> fill them or else my cats will think they are highways to jump on. *lol

I like the little shelf. What is its material? Where bought?

Do you really need a stand mixer that handy? Or maybe you just lack
storage space---I shud MMOB. I just am a fanatic for clear counters.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 2, 9:34*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> When I got my new stove, I did miss the flat part of the backboard to
> put spices and other things on, but I found an alternative that's going
> to work better.
>
> http://i44.tinypic.com/ivib8l.jpg

I have a similar spice shelf above my curved-top stove - but I used a
smoked glass shelf with floating anchors (pretty invisible) and
stainless steel gallery rail - from Advance Glass on the Web. I have
the same kind of shelf up in my newly remodeled bathroom. I love
those brushed nickel accoutrements....and I have a couple extra, if
you want them - didn't bother sending them back - 24" long - let me
know by e-mail. ;-)

"Shelf Rods and Supports

"Our Shelf Rods are designed for use with 1/4" to 3/8" thick glass to
create beautiful glass shelves with an extra measure of safety. The
24" or 36" long rods can be used as-is, or if desired, they can be cut
to your custom size. The attractively designed supports can be
attached to the shelf wherever you want to create a truly unique look.
Set screws hold the supports tightly to the glass. The Rods and
Supports come in the following finishes: Chrome, Brass, and Brushed
Nickel. These Rods and Supports create beautiful and safe glass
shelves and can even be used on shelves already supported by our
Adjustable Clip Shelf Brackets!"

http://www.advanceglass.com/products.../brackets.html

- scroll down a little past halfway to see the glass shelf with the
gallery rods.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 2, 10:55*pm, ItsJoanNotJoann > wrote:
> On Nov 2, 9:34*pm, Cheryl > wrote:> When I got my new stove, I did miss the flat part of the backboard to
> > put spices and other things on, but I found an alternative that's going
> > to work better.

> >http://i44.tinypic.com/ivib8l.jpg

> Where did you get the shelf over the stove??? *I like it.
>
> I put a pot rack up last year over my kitchen window as that's the
> _only_ *place I had, sure has been a great addition. *Looks nice,
> too!

Look at my post for another idea.... ;-)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 3, 10:43*am, Nancy2 > wrote:

about shelving.

Thanks for this link - I've been wanting a shelf like that for a
bathroom and HD is not measuring up.

(Doesn't the moisture form the stove mess up your spices?)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 3, 11:34*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> On Nov 3, 10:43*am, Nancy2 > wrote:
>
> about shelving.
>
> Thanks for this link - I've been wanting a shelf like that for a
> bathroom and HD is not measuring up.
>
> (Doesn't the moisture form the stove mess up your spices?)

Nope - the overhead light is forward of the spices; the jars I bought
are dark and have black lids - moisture doesn't affect sealed spices,
whether in jars or cans, and I only put the most-often-used ones there
- pepper, salt, cinnamon, garlic powder, seasoned salt, and oregano.
Others are in the pantry, in the dark, in a series of shallow shelves
mounted on the inside of the door.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 2, 7:34*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> When I got my new stove, I did miss the flat part of the backboard to
> put spices and other things on, but I found an alternative that's going
> to work better.
>
> http://i44.tinypic.com/ivib8l.jpg
>
> I'd like to convert the set of drawers to the left of my stove into
> something more like a tiny pantry. *Have you seen something that would
> work for that?

I'm not sure why that set of drawers would not function as a tiny
pantry. Do you mean to store canned goods and other dry goods? What
about tall things like cereal boxes? Or do you empty those into
Tupperware?

But I would like to have a set of sliding wire baskets instead of
drawers. You could check out the Container Store -- they have a lot of
such things made from wire with a durable coating -- not vinyl-coated
rubbermaid stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 3, 11:50*am, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
> On Nov 2, 7:34*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
>
> > When I got my new stove, I did miss the flat part of the backboard to
> > put spices and other things on, but I found an alternative that's going
> > to work better.

> >http://i44.tinypic.com/ivib8l.jpg

> > I'd like to convert the set of drawers to the left of my stove into
> > something more like a tiny pantry. *Have you seen something that would
> > work for that?

> I'm not sure why that set of drawers would not function as a tiny
> pantry. Do you mean to store canned goods and other dry goods? What
> about tall things like cereal boxes? Or do you empty those into
> Tupperware?
>
> *But I would like to have a set of sliding wire baskets instead of
> drawers. You could check out the Container Store -- they have a lot of
> such things made from wire with a durable coating -- not vinyl-coated
> rubbermaid stuff.

Lowe's and Home Depot also carry those wire slide-out racks - the
trick is finding ones that fit in your space - don't trust the
measurements on the outside of the box unless they include what they
measure including the frame. I have two of those in my bathroom
cupboards - very useful. I'm still thinking about getting one for
under the kitchen sink. But sometimes they take up more space than
you want, and don't leave you enough space to put stuff.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 3, 9:44*am, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On Nov 2, 10:55*pm, ItsJoanNotJoann > wrote:
>
> > On Nov 2, 9:34*pm, Cheryl > wrote:> When I got my new stove, I did miss the flat part of the backboard to
> > > put spices and other things on, but I found an alternative that's going
> > > to work better.

> > >http://i44.tinypic.com/ivib8l.jpg

> > Where did you get the shelf over the stove??? *I like it.

> > I put a pot rack up last year over my kitchen window as that's the
> > _only_ *place I had, sure has been a great addition. *Looks nice,
> > too!

> Look at my post for another idea.... ;-)
>
> N.

I saw that and I like it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/2/2011 11:55 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
> On Nov 2, 9:34 pm, > wrote:
>> When I got my new stove, I did miss the flat part of the backboard to
>> put spices and other things on, but I found an alternative that's going
>> to work better.
>>
>> http://i44.tinypic.com/ivib8l.jpg
>>

> Where did you get the shelf over the stove??? I like it.

I bought it from a seller on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003USZJBO
I tried a different one that I bought from a seller on eBay, but when it
got here, it was just too deep to work over the stove. So I have to
find another use for that one.

> I put a pot rack up last year over my kitchen window as that's the
> _only_ place I had, sure has been a great addition. Looks nice,
> too!

I keep looking at pot racks, and there's just no where one will work in
my kitchen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> I'd like to convert the set of drawers to the left of my stove into
> something more like a tiny pantry. Have you seen something that would
> work for that?

Not sure what you're asking. Do you want the top drawer to be a spice
cabinet?
http://www.amazon.com/Wide-Spice-Ins.../dp/B0000E1VSJ
Or do you want to eliminate all the drawers and install a pull out
unit?
http://www.hafele.com/images/Pantry-...ax_135x135.jpg
http://www.shelvesthatslide.com/imag...helves0002.JPG

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/3/2011 12:03 AM, MaryL wrote:

> "Cheryl" wrote in message ...
>
> On 11/2/2011 11:20 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> On 11/2/2011 10:54 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> I'd never store my books in a kitchen Over time, they will be a mess
>>> on the top of the pages.

>> I can hang the shelves elsewhere. Thanks for the insight.
>>

> I'm not attached to the wall with the calendar so a pantry that extends
> from the floor to ceiling isn't out of the question. I think it might
> have to be custom. I'd like to keep a little countertop for the KA.
> There's not much space for it without that little nook.
>
> - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Can that wall with the calendar be removed? When my brother and
> sister-in-law built their new home, they had a very narrow set of
> shelves built into a space like that. The shelves are actually built
> into a unit that slides out, and the shelves are adjustable. They use
> some for spices, some for soup, etc.

I'm not sure if that is a load-bearing wall or not. I just can't
picture what you are describing, but I like the sound of the sliding part.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/3/2011 5:42 AM, Giusi wrote:
> > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> http://i44.tinypic.com/ivib8l.jpg
>>
>> I'd like to convert the set of drawers to the left of my stove into
>> something more like a tiny pantry. Have you seen something that would
>> work for that?
>>
>> I really need to make the most of my tiny kitchen. My dad built me a
>> couple of shelves that I still need to put up and they will fit perfectly
>> over the two entrances into the kitchen. I'd love to have a hanging pot
>> rack but that won't work.

> I can't get the photo to load due to internet probs, but I do havce an idea
> for you. I have a vertical potrack made by setting a strong hook into a
> ceiling beam and dropping a chain from it. Using SS ess hooks I can hang an
> enormous amount of stuff on it. It just needs to be out of the pathways.
> It's cheap and fast and flexible.
>
> I agree with keeping cookbooks out of the kitchen if it's small. Over the
> door makes them too high to bother with at busy times, anyway. I'd use them
> for baskets, etc. that you use seldom and don't hurt if a cat knocks them on
> your head or cast iron that they can't move.

I appreciate the ideas! My kitchen is all pathways unless it's over a
counter top or appliance. Not even a single corner to use for something
like that. The only space that's almost floor to ceiling and out of the
way is between the fridge and the wall, and I use that for hanging my
Swiffer because it's more convenient that running down to the basement
when I want to sweep the floor. I used to think my mom's old tiny
kitchen was a bad design, but this is worse. She solved her space
problem by building outward, but I don't even have that option.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/3/2011 10:19 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Nov 2, 10:34 pm, > wrote:
>> When I got my new stove, I did miss the flat part of the backboard to
>> put spices and other things on, but I found an alternative that's going
>> to work better.
>>
>> http://i44.tinypic.com/ivib8l.jpg
>>
>> I'd like to convert the set of drawers to the left of my stove into
>> something more like a tiny pantry. Have you seen something that would
>> work for that?
>>
>> I still need to redo my cabinet doors to white to match my new kitchen
>> style. I just haven't had the time. I just transferred to another
>> department at work and am afraid to take time off right now.
>>
>> I really need to make the most of my tiny kitchen. My dad built me a
>> couple of shelves that I still need to put up and they will fit
>> perfectly over the two entrances into the kitchen. I'd love to have a
>> hanging pot rack but that won't work. I think I'll put my small
>> cookbook collection on those shelves. I have to be sure to completely
>> fill them or else my cats will think they are highways to jump on. lol

> I like the little shelf. What is its material? Where bought?

Stainless steel, and from Amazon. I've been amazed at how expensive
some of these stainless shelves can be. But it is a one-piece design,
and was super easy to install.

> Do you really need a stand mixer that handy? Or maybe you just lack
> storage space---I shud MMOB. I just am a fanatic for clear counters.

Yes, lack of storage space. And I actually use it quite a bit. That's
the only counter that's covered completely because it's in the corner
and away from the counter tops that I use for food prep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 3, 12:50*pm, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On Nov 3, 11:50*am, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
>
> > *But I would like to have a set of sliding wire baskets instead of
> > drawers. You could check out the Container Store -- they have a lot of
> > such things made from wire with a durable coating -- not vinyl-coated
> > rubbermaid stuff.

> Lowe's and Home Depot also carry those wire slide-out racks - the
> trick is finding ones that fit in your space - don't trust the
> measurements on the outside of the box unless they include what they
> measure including the frame. *I have two of those in my bathroom
> cupboards - very useful. *I'm still thinking about getting one for
> under the kitchen sink. *But sometimes they take up more space than
> you want, and don't leave you enough space to put stuff.
>
> N.

I've been looking at some Reva-Shelves at Lowe's and I've measured a
half dozen times to be sure before I buy. The ones I want are wire
double slide out racks. Either one will work independently of the
other and will greatly improve my storage capacity in that cabinet and
save me the trouble of half unloading a cabinet to get to something I
need in there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/3/2011 10:43 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> On Nov 2, 9:34 pm, > wrote:
>> When I got my new stove, I did miss the flat part of the backboard to
>> put spices and other things on, but I found an alternative that's going
>> to work better.
>>
>> http://i44.tinypic.com/ivib8l.jpg
>>

> I have a similar spice shelf above my curved-top stove - but I used a
> smoked glass shelf with floating anchors (pretty invisible) and
> stainless steel gallery rail - from Advance Glass on the Web. I have
> the same kind of shelf up in my newly remodeled bathroom. I love
> those brushed nickel accoutrements....and I have a couple extra, if
> you want them - didn't bother sending them back - 24" long - let me
> know by e-mail. ;-)
>

> "Shelf Rods and Supports
>
> "Our Shelf Rods are designed for use with 1/4" to 3/8" thick glass to
> create beautiful glass shelves with an extra measure of safety. The
> 24" or 36" long rods can be used as-is, or if desired, they can be cut
> to your custom size. The attractively designed supports can be
> attached to the shelf wherever you want to create a truly unique look.
> Set screws hold the supports tightly to the glass. The Rods and
> Supports come in the following finishes: Chrome, Brass, and Brushed
> Nickel. These Rods and Supports create beautiful and safe glass
> shelves and can even be used on shelves already supported by our
> Adjustable Clip Shelf Brackets!"
>

> http://www.advanceglass.com/products.../brackets.html
>
> - scroll down a little past halfway to see the glass shelf with the
> gallery rods.

What a nice offer, thank you! I think I'm good for shelves right now
and no more room to put them other than the two I'm going to hang that
my dad made for me. On the other hand, I have a 24" x 12" that didn't
work out for me, and I bought it on eBay which isn't known for returns.
I might find a use for it, but it might be up for grabs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 3, 7:11*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> On 11/2/2011 11:55 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:> On Nov 2, 9:34 pm, > *wrote:
>
> > I put a pot rack up last year over my kitchen window as that's the
> > _only_ *place I had, sure has been a great addition. *Looks nice,
> > too!

> I keep looking at pot racks, and there's just no where one will work in
> my kitchen.

I hear you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/3/2011 12:50 PM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
> I'm not sure why that set of drawers would not function as a tiny
> pantry. Do you mean to store canned goods and other dry goods? What
> about tall things like cereal boxes? Or do you empty those into
> Tupperware?
>
> But I would like to have a set of sliding wire baskets instead of
> drawers. You could check out the Container Store -- they have a lot of
> such things made from wire with a durable coating -- not vinyl-coated
> rubbermaid stuff.

I'm just not a fan of drawers because they're so limiting. I'd like
something where I can adjust shelf height if I need to. I will check
out the Container Store. Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/3/2011 8:29 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

> I've been looking at some Reva-Shelves at Lowe's and I've measured a
> half dozen times to be sure before I buy. The ones I want are wire
> double slide out racks. Either one will work independently of the
> other and will greatly improve my storage capacity in that cabinet and
> save me the trouble of half unloading a cabinet to get to something I
> need in there.

I need something like that for canned cat food. Mine only like Fancy
Feast and they are small cans, and they eat a variety of them. Where I
currently store the cans is hard to find different varieties at each
meal time and I usually end up pulling out stacks to find what I want to
give them. Organizing my cat food supply will be the next project.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/3/2011 8:29 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

> I've been looking at some Reva-Shelves at Lowe's and I've measured a
> half dozen times to be sure before I buy. The ones I want are wire
> double slide out racks. Either one will work independently of the
> other and will greatly improve my storage capacity in that cabinet and
> save me the trouble of half unloading a cabinet to get to something I
> need in there.

Here's what the cat food stacks look like. It isn't working for me. A
lot of the time many cans are stacked on my counter top above this
cabinet for easier feeding. With such limited space I really need to
eliminate that waste of space.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2z3vx8g.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On 11/3/2011 8:29 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
>
>> I've been looking at some Reva-Shelves at Lowe's and I've measured a
>> half dozen times to be sure before I buy. The ones I want are wire
>> double slide out racks. Either one will work independently of the
>> other and will greatly improve my storage capacity in that cabinet and
>> save me the trouble of half unloading a cabinet to get to something I
>> need in there.

> I need something like that for canned cat food. Mine only like Fancy
> Feast and they are small cans, and they eat a variety of them. Where I
> currently store the cans is hard to find different varieties at each meal
> time and I usually end up pulling out stacks to find what I want to give
> them. Organizing my cat food supply will be the next project.

Most of our cabinets are seriously 'thought-out' but there is one that is
simply two shelves. I am much too old to climb into the back of it. Well.
I could climb there but it would take a visit from a tow truck to come haul
me back out. I put just the bottoms of plain, cheap plastic bins on both
shelves. I load the rascals with the cake pans, pie pans, bread pans and
whatever seems related including the rings that are supposed to keep the rim
of a pie from overcooking before the rest is done.
Probably not a perfect solution but it didn't cost much and the price of
tow trucks is excruciating. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/3/2011 8:11 PM, sf wrote:

> Not sure what you're asking. Do you want the top drawer to be a spice

> http://www.shelvesthatslide.com/imag...helves0002.JPG

I think I like this one for my canned cat food problem. I'm not sure
how to explain what I'm looking for to replace the stack of drawers from
the original picture. My mom has an awesome pantry built in to her
kitchen, but I don't have the room for what she has. I guess I need
something scaled down, but even the picture above that you posted might
work for that, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/3/2011 10:36 PM, Polly Esther wrote:

> Most of our cabinets are seriously 'thought-out' but there is one that
> is simply two shelves. I am much too old to climb into the back of it.
> Well. I could climb there but it would take a visit from a tow truck to
> come haul me back out. I put just the bottoms of plain, cheap plastic
> bins on both shelves. I load the rascals with the cake pans, pie pans,
> bread pans and whatever seems related including the rings that are
> supposed to keep the rim of a pie from overcooking before the rest is done.
> Probably not a perfect solution but it didn't cost much and the
> price of tow trucks is excruciating.

I hear you about climbing into the cabinet. I have been forced to
rethink a lot of my storage due to chronic back issues. There are times
I have to just sit down on the floor to find things because I can't
stoop or bend over anymore. Getting back up is another issue
altogether. Similar to your plan of using bins to pull things out, I
went cheaper at first and just used a cardboard box cat food came in to
pull out but it isn't sturdy enough. I like your idea!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On 11/3/2011 10:36 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
>
>> Most of our cabinets are seriously 'thought-out' but there is one that
>> is simply two shelves. I am much too old to climb into the back of it.
>> Well. I could climb there but it would take a visit from a tow truck to
>> come haul me back out. I put just the bottoms of plain, cheap plastic
>> bins on both shelves. I load the rascals with the cake pans, pie pans,
>> bread pans and whatever seems related including the rings that are
>> supposed to keep the rim of a pie from overcooking before the rest is
>> done.
>> Probably not a perfect solution but it didn't cost much and the
>> price of tow trucks is excruciating.

> I hear you about climbing into the cabinet. I have been forced to rethink
> a lot of my storage due to chronic back issues. There are times I have to
> just sit down on the floor to find things because I can't stoop or bend
> over anymore. Getting back up is another issue altogether. Similar to
> your plan of using bins to pull things out, I went cheaper at first and
> just used a cardboard box cat food came in to pull out but it isn't sturdy
> enough. I like your idea!

Cheryl, do you have a door that usually stands open? You'd be very pleased
with what you can store on its backside. There's one here that's never
closed unless we have a guest 'not potty trained' puppy. We have a shoe bag
sort of rack in our skinny hall closet that houses lots and Lots of
important stuff. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/3/2011 11:18 PM, Polly Esther wrote:

> Cheryl, do you have a door that usually stands open? You'd be very
> pleased with what you can store on its backside. There's one here
> that's never closed unless we have a guest 'not potty trained' puppy.
> We have a shoe bag sort of rack in our skinny hall closet that houses
> lots and Lots of important stuff. Polly

I don't. Space in this house is a premium not only in the kitchen, but
everywhere. The only space that isn't used to its full potential is
downstairs (split foyer house) but downstairs isn't convenient. All of
the closet doors are the folding type. I have one room that is sort of
a den, one is a guest room that's gotten cluttered so the door is always
shut. It is declutter time for those rooms. Again, back problems.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 3, 7:30*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> On 11/3/2011 10:43 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
>

> > On Nov 2, 9:34 pm, > *wrote:
> >> When I got my new stove, I did miss the flat part of the backboard to
> >> put spices and other things on, but I found an alternative that's going
> >> to work better.

> >>http://i44.tinypic.com/ivib8l.jpg

> > I have a similar spice shelf above my curved-top stove - but I used a
> > smoked glass shelf with floating anchors (pretty invisible) and
> > stainless steel gallery rail - from Advance Glass on the Web. *I have
> > the same kind of shelf up in my newly remodeled bathroom. *I love
> > those brushed nickel accoutrements....and I have a couple extra, if
> > you want them - didn't bother sending them back - 24" long - let me
> > know by e-mail. ;-)

> > "Shelf Rods and Supports

> > "Our Shelf Rods are designed for use with 1/4" to 3/8" thick glass to
> > create beautiful glass shelves with an extra measure of safety. The
> > 24" or 36" long rods can be used as-is, or if desired, they can be cut
> > to your custom size. The attractively designed supports can be
> > attached to the shelf wherever you want to create a truly unique look.
> > Set screws hold the supports tightly to the glass. The Rods and
> > Supports come in the following finishes: Chrome, Brass, and Brushed
> > Nickel. These Rods and Supports create beautiful and safe glass
> > shelves and can even be used on shelves already supported by our
> > Adjustable Clip Shelf Brackets!"

> >http://www.advanceglass.com/products.../brackets.html

> > * - scroll down a little past halfway to see the glass shelf with the
> > gallery rods.

> What a nice offer, thank you! *I think I'm good for shelves right now
> and no more room to put them other than the two I'm going to hang that
> my dad made for me. *On the other hand, I have a 24" x 12" that didn't
> work out for me, and I bought it on eBay which isn't known for returns.
> * I might find a use for it, but it might be up for grabs. *- Hide quoted text -

Is there a spot in the bathroom where it would be useful? Or
decoratively useful? Or in your laundry area? Or even in the
garage? I can almost always find a spot for a shelf or two.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 3, 10:18*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message

> > On 11/3/2011 10:36 PM, Polly Esther wrote:

> >> Most of our cabinets are seriously 'thought-out' but there is one that
> >> is simply two shelves. *I am much too old to climb into the back of it.
> >> Well. I could climb there but it would take a visit from a tow truck to
> >> come haul me back out. *I put just the bottoms of plain, cheap plastic
> >> bins on both shelves. *I load the rascals with the cake pans, pie pans,
> >> bread pans and whatever seems related including the rings that are
> >> supposed to keep the rim of a pie from overcooking before the rest is
> >> done.
> >> * * Probably not a perfect solution but it didn't cost much and the
> >> price of tow trucks is excruciating.

> > I hear you about climbing into the cabinet. *I have been forced to rethink
> > a lot of my storage due to chronic back issues. *There are times I have to
> > just sit down on the floor to find things because I can't stoop or bend
> > over anymore. *Getting back up is another issue altogether. *Similar to
> > your plan of using bins to pull things out, I went cheaper at first and
> > just used a cardboard box cat food came in to pull out but it isn't sturdy
> > enough. *I like your idea!

> Cheryl, do you have a door that usually stands open? *You'd be very pleased
> with what you can store on its backside. *There's one here that's never
> closed unless we have a guest 'not potty trained' puppy. *We have a shoe bag
> sort of rack in our skinny hall closet that houses lots and Lots of
> important stuff. *Polly- Hide quoted text -

Some of my cupboard doors are useful for hanging stuff on the inside,
and some are too close to shelves. I do manage to hang my differently-
sized strainers by fitting them inbetween the shelf edges. I love the
3M Command hooks for things like this - no mess, no holes, no
permanence.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" Some of my cupboard doors are useful for hanging stuff on the
inside,
and some are too close to shelves. I do manage to hang my differently-
sized strainers by fitting them inbetween the shelf edges. I love the
3M Command hooks for things like this - no mess, no holes, no
permanence.

You bet your boots those 3M hooks are fine. I have some inside lower
cabinet doors to hang the quarrelsome racks used to cool cookies and
whatever. If left 'at large' the racks will hook onto everything in reach.
Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 03:42:05 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

> what about putting the shelves your dad built on the other side of the
> doorway, still accessable to the kitchen but not in it? Lee

That's a logical solution.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 07:52:13 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> I do manage to hang my differently-
> sized strainers by fitting them inbetween the shelf edges. I love the
> 3M Command hooks for things like this - no mess, no holes, no
> permanence.

I still haven't bought those and I could use them. Guess I don't go
down that aisle.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> Lowe's and Home Depot also carry those wire slide-out racks - the
> trick is finding ones that fit in your space - don't trust the
> measurements on the outside of the box unless they include what they
> measure including the frame. I have two of those in my bathroom
> cupboards - very useful. I'm still thinking about getting one for
> under the kitchen sink. But sometimes they take up more space than
> you want, and don't leave you enough space to put stuff.
>
> N.

One of my rules is "stuff" doesn't come into my house without having a
planned storage spot for it. I can't stand kitchens full of clutter and
brika-brak.
When we redid our kitchen a few years ago I worked hard to identify
storage needs and find solutions to them. One of our best ideas is the
pull out bins over the fridge and the holders next to them that allow
tall pans/cutting boards to stand up in the side space. Easy to get to.
And to think that I had to be convinced of the practicality of having
such a large, deep cupboard over the fridge!

http://tinypic.com/r/58vic/5

http://tinypic.com/r/n4ab6p/5