Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Turkey burgers - 165F

I just saw a Jenny-O commercial. They made a point of cooking their
product to 165F. Thanks, but no thanks. Ground turkey may have
legitimate uses, but not burgers. Burgers should be beef, possibly
lamb, and maybe even goat for those who like goat. What a poor ass
expense of advertising money on a World Series ad.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 18:48:37 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

>I just saw a Jenny-O commercial. They made a point of cooking their
>product to 165F. Thanks, but no thanks. Ground turkey may have
>legitimate uses, but not burgers. Burgers should be beef, possibly
>lamb, and maybe even goat for those who like goat. What a poor ass
>expense of advertising money on a World Series ad.

Burgers should be beef, or maybe pork or veal, that's it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 18:48:37 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> I just saw a Jenny-O commercial. They made a point of cooking their
> product to 165F. Thanks, but no thanks. Ground turkey may have
> legitimate uses, but not burgers. Burgers should be beef, possibly
> lamb, and maybe even goat for those who like goat. What a poor ass
> expense of advertising money on a World Series ad.

I'm liking salmon burgers, but I haven't eaten them in a bun yet.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message
>I just saw a Jenny-O commercial. They made a point of cooking their
> product to 165F. Thanks, but no thanks. Ground turkey may have
> legitimate uses, but not burgers. Burgers should be beef, possibly
> lamb, and maybe even goat for those who like goat. What a poor ass
> expense of advertising money on a World Series ad.

My daughter likes them. She does not like beef. You couldn't pay me to eat
them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 18:48:37 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> > wrote:
>
>> I just saw a Jenny-O commercial. They made a point of cooking their
>> product to 165F. Thanks, but no thanks. Ground turkey may have
>> legitimate uses, but not burgers. Burgers should be beef, possibly
>> lamb, and maybe even goat for those who like goat. What a poor ass
>> expense of advertising money on a World Series ad.
>>

> I'm liking salmon burgers, but I haven't eaten them in a bun yet.

Come waaay down here to the SC coast and you can have crab burgers. Or
shrimp burgers. There are tons of restaurants on these sea islands that
sell things like that (on a bun)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message
>I just saw a Jenny-O commercial. They made a point of cooking their
> product to 165F. Thanks, but no thanks. Ground turkey may have
> legitimate uses, but not burgers. Burgers should be beef, possibly
> lamb, and maybe even goat for those who like goat. What a poor ass
> expense of advertising money on a World Series ad.
>
> --Bryan

I like turkey burgers.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 19, 9:18*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message
>
> ... > On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 18:48:37 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> > > wrote:

> >> I just saw a Jenny-O commercial. *They made a point of cooking their
> >> product to 165F. *Thanks, but no thanks. *Ground turkey may have
> >> legitimate uses, but not burgers. *Burgers should be beef, possibly
> >> lamb, and maybe even goat for those who like goat. *What a poor ass
> >> expense of advertising money on a World Series ad.

> > I'm liking salmon burgers, but I haven't eaten them in a bun yet.

> Come waaay down here to the SC coast and you can have crab burgers. *Or
> shrimp burgers. *There are tons of restaurants on these sea islands that
> sell things like that (on a bun)
>
> Jill

Never had it, but I'd try it.

-J
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 18:48:37 -0700, Bryan wrote:

> "...Burgers should be beef, possibly
> lamb, and maybe even goat for those who like goat..."

Why? Burgers "should be" whatever the person eating them wants or likes,
not what your dogmatic beliefs dictate. If he or she likes turkey bugers,
then they should be made of turkey. If someone likes whatever Boca
burgers are made from (soy protein and some spices?), then that is what a
burger "should be" made of.

> "...What a poor ass
> expense of advertising money on a World Series ad."

Again, why? Jenny-O has every right to advertise a perfectly legitimate
product. People who like turkey burgers have every right to know how to
prepare them safely.

Brian Christiansen
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Oct 20, 10:24*am, Brian > wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 18:48:37 -0700, Bryan wrote:
> > "...Burgers should be beef, possibly
> > lamb, and maybe even goat for those who like goat..."

> Why? *Burgers "should be" whatever the person eating them wants or likes,
> not what your dogmatic beliefs dictate. *If he or she likes turkey bugers,
> then they should be made of turkey. *If someone likes whatever Boca
> burgers are made from (soy protein and some spices?), then that is what a
> burger "should be" made of.
>
> > "...What a poor ass
> > expense of advertising money on a World Series ad."

> Again, why? *Jenny-O has every right to advertise a perfectly legitimate
> product. *People who like turkey burgers have every right to know how to
> prepare them safely.
>
> Brian Christiansen

Exactly. I totally agree with you Brian. Besides there are
turkey burgers and there are turkey burgers. I've made some
really good turkey burgers, excellent in fact.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bwian wrote:
>Bwyan wrote:
>
>>What a poor ass expense of advertising money.

>Jenny-O has every right to advertise a perfectly legitimate product.

You say that because Jenny-O is a ******* and you're *** too, Bwian.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 20, 11:00*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> Bwian wrote:
> >Bwyan wrote:

> >>What a poor ass expense of advertising money.

> >Jenny-O has every right to advertise a perfectly legitimate product.

> You say that because Jenny-O is a ******* and you're *** too, Bwian.

You're homophobic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

the very idea that there is only one right way to make/eat something is mind
boggling, next time you make those turkey burgers, drain/rinse some black
beans, mix in and cook, Lee
"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
On Oct 20, 10:24 am, Brian > wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 18:48:37 -0700, Bryan wrote:
> > "...Burgers should be beef, possibly
> > lamb, and maybe even goat for those who like goat..."

> Why? Burgers "should be" whatever the person eating them wants or likes,
> not what your dogmatic beliefs dictate. If he or she likes turkey bugers,
> then they should be made of turkey. If someone likes whatever Boca
> burgers are made from (soy protein and some spices?), then that is what a
> burger "should be" made of.
>
> > "...What a poor ass
> > expense of advertising money on a World Series ad."

> Again, why? Jenny-O has every right to advertise a perfectly legitimate
> product. People who like turkey burgers have every right to know how to
> prepare them safely.
>
> Brian Christiansen

Exactly. I totally agree with you Brian. Besides there are
turkey burgers and there are turkey burgers. I've made some
really good turkey burgers, excellent in fact.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:
> "Bryan" > wrote:
>
>>I just saw a Jenny-O commercial. They made a point of cooking their
>> product to 165F. Thanks, but no thanks. Ground turkey may have
>> legitimate uses, but not burgers. Burgers should be beef, possibly
>> lamb, and maybe even goat for those who like goat. What a poor ass
>> expense of advertising money on a World Series ad.

> I like turkey burgers.

And cooked correctly the 165F they remain tender and moist. Bryan has
not learned how, likely from lack of interest.

A goat burger would be awesome, though! Goat may be my favorite red
meat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 20, 1:30*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> On Oct 20, 11:00*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
> > Bwian wrote:

> > >Jenny-O has every right to advertise a perfectly legitimate product.

> > You say that because Jenny-O is a ******* and you're *** too, Bwian.

> You're homophobic.

Turkey burgers are "so ***."

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:30:00 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
> wrote:

>On Oct 20, 11:00*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> Bwian wrote:

>> >Jenny-O has every right to advertise a perfectly legitimate product.

>> You say that because Jenny-O is a ******* and you're *** too, Bwian.

>You're homophobic.

Give that faggot a c-gar!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote:
>> "Bryan" > wrote:
>>
>>>I just saw a Jenny-O commercial. They made a point of cooking their
>>> product to 165F. Thanks, but no thanks. Ground turkey may have
>>> legitimate uses, but not burgers. Burgers should be beef, possibly
>>> lamb, and maybe even goat for those who like goat. What a poor ass
>>> expense of advertising money on a World Series ad.

>> I like turkey burgers.

> And cooked correctly the 165F they remain tender and moist. Bryan has
> not learned how, likely from lack of interest.
>
> A goat burger would be awesome, though! Goat may be my favorite red
> meat.

I've never had goat, but have heard it's very good.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 20, 1:22*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Oct 20, 1:30*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:

> > > You say that because Jenny-O is a ******* and you're *** too, Bwian.

> > You're homophobic.

> Turkey burgers are "so ***."
>
> --Bryan

So is liking Del Taco!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 18:48:37 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> > wrote:
>
>> I just saw a Jenny-O commercial. They made a point of cooking their
>> product to 165F. Thanks, but no thanks. Ground turkey may have
>> legitimate uses, but not burgers. Burgers should be beef, possibly
>> lamb, and maybe even goat for those who like goat. What a poor ass
>> expense of advertising money on a World Series ad.
>>

> I'm liking salmon burgers, but I haven't eaten them in a bun yet.

Come waaay down here to the SC coast and you can have crab burgers. Or
shrimp burgers. There are tons of restaurants on these sea islands that
sell things like that (on a bun)

Jill

- - - - - - - - - -

My brother-in-law liked crab, but he once made the mistake of ordering a
soft-shell crab sandwich when they were vacationing on the east coast. He
had to send it back. He said that was just "too much" for him when the
sandwich arrived, and he saw legs and even eyes dangling from the bun! On
the other hand, he loved regular crab burgers.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pretty strong if not done properly but definitely worth a try if you are a
red meat eater, Lee
"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
>> Cheri wrote:

>>> I like turkey burgers.

>> And cooked correctly the 165F they remain tender and moist. Bryan has
>> not learned how, likely from lack of interest.
>>
>> A goat burger would be awesome, though! Goat may be my favorite red
>> meat.

> I've never had goat, but have heard it's very good.
>
> Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sitara wrote:

> I've made some really good turkey burgers, excellent in fact.

I'm fond of turkey burgers if you mix red miso or ricotta into it and add
some Worcestershire sauce. Otherwise it lacks flavor.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug wrote:

> A goat burger would be awesome, though! Goat may be my favorite red
> meat.

The best red-meat burger I've ever had was made from horse meat. Got it from
a food cart in Italy; it's illegal to sell horse meat for human consumption
in the USA.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MaryL wrote:

> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
>

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 18:48:37 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I just saw a Jenny-O commercial. They made a point of cooking their
>>> product to 165F. Thanks, but no thanks. Ground turkey may have
>>> legitimate uses, but not burgers. Burgers should be beef, possibly
>>> lamb, and maybe even goat for those who like goat. What a poor ass
>>> expense of advertising money on a World Series ad.
>>>

>> I'm liking salmon burgers, but I haven't eaten them in a bun yet.
>>

> Come waaay down here to the SC coast and you can have crab burgers. Or
> shrimp burgers. There are tons of restaurants on these sea islands that
> sell things like that (on a bun)
>
> Jill
>
> - - - - - - - - - -
>
> My brother-in-law liked crab, but he once made the mistake of ordering a
> soft-shell crab sandwich when they were vacationing on the east coast.
> He had to send it back. He said that was just "too much" for him when
> the sandwich arrived, and he saw legs and even eyes dangling from the
> bun! On the other hand, he loved regular crab burgers.
>
> MaryL

I *love* fried soft-shelled crab. The best is at Christie's restaurant
in Houston (I don't know if they are still in business; I used to goto
the one on South Main) If you don't like legs and eyeballs, just don't
look so close

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 20, 8:25*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Doug wrote:
> > A goat burger would be awesome, though! Goat may be my favorite red
> > meat.

> The best red-meat burger I've ever had was made from horse meat. Got it from
> a food cart in Italy; it's illegal to sell horse meat for human consumption
> in the USA.

Relatively recent developments shut down horse slaughterhouses in the
states that had them. There's no federal law against selling
horsemeat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 20, 4:16*pm, "Cheri" > wrote:
> "Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message

> > Cheri wrote:

> >> I like turkey burgers.

> > And cooked correctly the 165F they remain tender and moist. *Bryan has
> > not learned how, likely from lack of interest.

> > A goat burger would be awesome, though! *Goat may be my favorite red
> > meat.

> I've never had goat, but have heard it's very good.

Halal butcher shops by me sell goat. Ad campaign idea: Goat. It's the
other cloven-hooved cud chewer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Doug wrote:
> > A goat burger would be awesome, though! Goat may be my favorite red
> > meat.

> The best red-meat burger I've ever had was made from horse meat. Got it
> from
> a food cart in Italy; it's illegal to sell horse meat for human
> consumption
> in the USA.

Relatively recent developments shut down horse slaughterhouses in the
states that had them. There's no federal law against selling
horsemeat.

==========

They voted against selling horsemeat for human consumption in CA several
years ago when it was on the ballot, dunno about the rest of the country.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 20, 4:16 pm, "Cheri" > wrote:
> "Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message

> > Cheri wrote:

> >> I like turkey burgers.

> > And cooked correctly the 165F they remain tender and moist. Bryan has
> > not learned how, likely from lack of interest.

> > A goat burger would be awesome, though! Goat may be my favorite red
> > meat.

> I've never had goat, but have heard it's very good.

Halal butcher shops by me sell goat. Ad campaign idea: Goat. It's the
other cloven-hooved cud chewer.

==========

I don't think I've ever seen it for sale where I am in CA, maybe at some
specialty shops?

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>
>> The best red-meat burger I've ever had was made from horse meat. Got it from
>> a food cart in Italy; it's illegal to sell horse meat for human consumption
>> in the USA.

> Relatively recent developments shut down horse slaughterhouses in the
> states that had them. There's no federal law against selling
> horsemeat.

There's a law against eating horse meat in California. I don't know of
any other state that bans it. It's just not popular in the US because
horses are kept as pets.

The California law is an example of how kooky the proposition process
can get. It's a misdemeanor to eat horse. It's a felony to sell horse
for human consumption. It's taxable business to sell horse for pet
food. Completely crazy why some rich nutty old lady would spend
millions to push such a law through but that's exactly what happened
around 15 years ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> MaryL wrote:
>>

>> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
>>

>> Come waaay down here to the SC coast and you can have crab burgers. Or
>> shrimp burgers. There are tons of restaurants on these sea
>> islands that sell things like that (on a bun)
>>
>> Jill
>>
>> - - - - - - - - - -
>>
>> My brother-in-law liked crab, but he once made the mistake of
>> ordering a soft-shell crab sandwich when they were vacationing on
>> the east coast. He had to send it back. He said that was just "too
>> much" for him when the sandwich arrived, and he saw legs and even
>> eyes dangling from the bun! On the other hand, he loved regular
>> crab burgers. MaryL
>>

> I *love* fried soft-shelled crab. The best is at Christie's
> restaurant in Houston (I don't know if they are still in business; I
> used to goto the one on South Main) If you don't like legs and
> eyeballs, just don't look so close
>
> -Bob

Or don't order the soft shelled crab. That's the way that they are
supposed to be.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Smythe" wrote in message ...

zxcvbob wrote:
> MaryL wrote:
>>

>> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
>>

>> Come waaay down here to the SC coast and you can have crab burgers. Or
>> shrimp burgers. There are tons of restaurants on these sea
>> islands that sell things like that (on a bun)
>>
>> Jill
>>
>> - - - - - - - - - -
>>
>> My brother-in-law liked crab, but he once made the mistake of
>> ordering a soft-shell crab sandwich when they were vacationing on
>> the east coast. He had to send it back. He said that was just "too
>> much" for him when the sandwich arrived, and he saw legs and even
>> eyes dangling from the bun! On the other hand, he loved regular
>> crab burgers. MaryL
>>

> I *love* fried soft-shelled crab. The best is at Christie's
> restaurant in Houston (I don't know if they are still in business; I
> used to goto the one on South Main) If you don't like legs and
> eyeballs, just don't look so close
>
> -Bob

Or don't order the soft shelled crab. That's the way that they are
supposed to be.

- - - - - - - - - -

He understood that...after the fact. That was his first time to see one.
Since he liked crab in other versions (and almost all sea food), the sight
of dangling legs and eyes really surprised him. He didn't complain, but he
couldn't eat it. Knowing him, I'm sure he left a big tip.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 10:27:37 -0400, "John Smythe"
> wrote:

>zxcvbob wrote:
>> MaryL wrote:
>>>

>>> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
>>>

>>> Come waaay down here to the SC coast and you can have crab burgers. Or
>>> shrimp burgers. There are tons of restaurants on these sea
>>> islands that sell things like that (on a bun)
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>
>>> - - - - - - - - - -
>>>
>>> My brother-in-law liked crab, but he once made the mistake of
>>> ordering a soft-shell crab sandwich when they were vacationing on
>>> the east coast. He had to send it back. He said that was just "too
>>> much" for him when the sandwich arrived, and he saw legs and even
>>> eyes dangling from the bun! On the other hand, he loved regular
>>> crab burgers. MaryL
>>>

>> I *love* fried soft-shelled crab. The best is at Christie's
>> restaurant in Houston (I don't know if they are still in business; I
>> used to goto the one on South Main) If you don't like legs and
>> eyeballs, just don't look so close
>>
>> -Bob

>Or don't order the soft shelled crab. That's the way that they are
>supposed to be.

Now yoose are getting really ridiculous, a hamburger (burger) is
BEEF[period]
http://www.epicurious.com/tools/food.../entry?id=2887
Yoose want a ground turkey patty sandwich call it whatever you want
but don't call it a burger... even the fast food clown is intelligent
enough not to call a fish/chicky sandwich a burger.
http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/...andwiches.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 22:31:06 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"spamtrap1888" > wrote in message
>On Oct 20, 4:16 pm, "Cheri" > wrote:

>> > And cooked correctly the 165F they remain tender and moist. Bryan has
>> > not learned how, likely from lack of interest.

>> > A goat burger would be awesome, though! Goat may be my favorite red
>> > meat.

>> I've never had goat, but have heard it's very good.
>>

>Halal butcher shops by me sell goat. Ad campaign idea: Goat. It's the
>other cloven-hooved cud chewer.
>
>==========
>
>I don't think I've ever seen it for sale where I am in CA, maybe at some
>specialty shops?
>
>Cheri

If you shopped in any neighborhood where people from the Caribbean
reside you'd find goat, mon. I've eaten goat, I think it's awful...
like lamb to the tenth power.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message ...

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 19:19:34 -0500, MaryL wrote:

> My brother-in-law liked crab, but he once made the mistake of ordering a
> soft-shell crab sandwich when they were vacationing on the east coast. He
> had to send it back. He said that was just "too much" for him when the
> sandwich arrived, and he saw legs and even eyes dangling from the bun! On
> the other hand, he loved regular crab burgers.

I hope they still charged him for it.

I had a softshell crabs sandwich (fried) at Wholey's in Pittsburgh the
other day. And some smelts, of course. You have to get smelts at
Wholeys.

It was two whole crabs for about $7. Around here a single raw crab
costs $5-$6.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/9...ellcrabsan.jpg
http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/9...ellcrabsan.jpg
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/1...leyssmelts.jpg

-sw

- - - - - - - - - -

I have no idea whether they charged him, but I do know that he ordered
another meal--and he was not the type of person to complain simply because
it was different than what he expected. He and my sister laughed about his
reaction when they returned home, but they obviously were not "blaming" the
restaurant. They looked at it as a joke on my brother-in-law.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 22:18:39 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Come waaay down here to the SC coast and you can have crab burgers. Or
>> shrimp burgers. There are tons of restaurants on these sea islands that
>> sell things like that (on a bun)

> I've got 4 pounds of shrimp. What would mix in with ground shrimp to
> make a patty out of it?
>
> -sw

1 lb. of raw shrimp, shelled and deveined. Got a food processor? You'll
need breadcrumbs. 3/4 of a cup or so. Mayonnaise... several
tablespoonfuls. Diced green onions. S&P. Lemon zest (or maybe just a
little lemon juice). And a dash or two of cayenne pepper if you'd like some
heat. Mix it all together. Then form into patties. You don't want them to
be too thick. You pretty much just combine it all together and pan fry them
over medium heat, in a little neutral oil until they are cooked through.
You know shrimp; it turns pink when it's done.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> I've got 4 pounds of shrimp. What would mix in with ground shrimp to
> make a patty out of it?
>
> -sw

You could make Chinese shrimp toast. It's kind of like a shrimp patty on
bread that is deep fried.

If you can't Google a recipe, I have one in a cookbook. Email me if you
want it. I'll scan it for you.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas