Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Brown Turkey Burgers?

Is there a way to make a turkey burger brown?
Something to add that makes a turkey burger look pretty much the same as
a beef hamburger, including, even especially, browning, but keep the
healthful benefits of the turkey?

Or if not, would mixing ground beef and ground turkey look more-or-less
the same as a beef hamburger, yet keep lower fat than a regular
hamburger?
Has anyone tried it? What ratio worked for you?

(as an aside, why doesn't turkey brown? it has proteins & sugars like
beef or any meat really, so the maillard reaction should kick in. right?
yet it doesn't seem to. any food scientists here?)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 03/10/2010 21:27, Sqwertz ha scritto:

> It's the pigments in the meat. Beef turns from red to brown naturally
> due to the pigments and enzymatic reactions in the meat itself. Those
> same reactions do not take place in turkey meat.

Is Maillard reaction an enzymatic reaction? It is one of the most
important, if not the most important, reactions in browning meat.

> Turkey will brown if you - as in crusty brown - if you add some oil to
> the pan and cook at high heat and/or long enough.

It will get reddish, browing turkey requires some other ingredient
otherwise it will jst turn reddish where seared.
--
Vilco
and the Family Stone
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Oct 3, 12:05*pm, Pringles CheezUms > wrote:
> Is there a way to make a turkey burger brown?
> Something to add that makes a turkey burger look pretty much the same as
> a beef hamburger, including, even especially, browning, but keep the
> healthful benefits of the turkey?
>
> Or if not, would mixing ground beef and ground turkey look more-or-less
> the same as a beef hamburger, yet keep lower fat than a regular
> hamburger?
> Has anyone tried it? What ratio worked for you?
>
> (as an aside, why doesn't turkey brown? it has proteins & sugars like
> beef or any meat really, so the maillard reaction should kick in. right?
> yet it doesn't seem to. any food scientists here?)

You could mix it with a little TVP and add a dash of kitchen bouquet
if you want more color. The TVP
will give it a bit more meat like consistency.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 13:16:16 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:
>
> You could mix it with a little TVP and add a dash of kitchen bouquet
> if you want more color. The TVP
> will give it a bit more meat like consistency.

And Julie just complained about soy "crap" in a preceding thread.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 14:05:06 -0500, Pringles CheezUms
> wrote:

>Is there a way to make a turkey burger brown?
>Something to add that makes a turkey burger look pretty much the same as
>a beef hamburger, including, even especially, browning, but keep the
>healthful benefits of the turkey?

What makes you think ground turkey is more healthful than ground
beef.. unless you grind meat yourself you don't know.

>Or if not, would mixing ground beef and ground turkey look more-or-less
>the same as a beef hamburger, yet keep lower fat than a regular
>hamburger?
>Has anyone tried it? What ratio worked for you?

TIAD!!!

>as an aside, why doesn't turkey brown?

Turkey does brown, browns very nicely, with white poultry meat a
lovely golden brown instead of dirty brick brown like red meat. Dark
poultry meat browns too but not as noticable is all... like do you
notice the tan on dark skinned people at the beach..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pringles CheezUms wrote:

> Is there a way to make a turkey burger brown?
> Something to add that makes a turkey burger look pretty much the same as
> a beef hamburger, including, even especially, browning, but keep the
> healthful benefits of the turkey?

I haven't done it, but I'd guess some sugar
would help the browning. Not enough that
anyone can tell it's sweet, just below that
level. Something tart like vinegar or lime
juice would counterbalance the sugar, and
allow using a higher amount for more browning.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Oct 3, 1:24*pm, sf > wrote:

> And Julie just complained about soy "crap" in a preceding thread.

I didn't see that. And some people like TVP, some don't. I guess
it is all in the individual.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 3, 3:05*pm, Pringles CheezUms > wrote:
> Is there a way to make a turkey burger brown?
> Something to add that makes a turkey burger look pretty much the same as
> a beef hamburger, including, even especially, browning, but keep the
> healthful benefits of the turkey?
>
> Or if not, would mixing ground beef and ground turkey look more-or-less
> the same as a beef hamburger, yet keep lower fat than a regular
> hamburger?
> Has anyone tried it? What ratio worked for you?
>
> (as an aside, why doesn't turkey brown? it has proteins & sugars like
> beef or any meat really, so the maillard reaction should kick in. right?
> yet it doesn't seem to. any food scientists here?)

Fry it in butter that has been well heated to the point of being
brown.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 16:46:39 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Oct 3, 1:24*pm, sf > wrote:
>

> > And Julie just complained about soy "crap" in a preceding thread.

> I didn't see that. And some people like TVP, some don't. I guess
> it is all in the individual.

How true!

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pringles CheezUms" > wrote in message
> Is there a way to make a turkey burger brown?
> Something to add that makes a turkey burger look pretty much the same as
> a beef hamburger, including, even especially, browning, but keep the
> healthful benefits of the turkey?

I wouldn't worry about browning it... I'd worry about what's *in* it. What
makes you think ground turkey is "healthful"? Most of the time turkey is
ground right along with the skin, which contains all the fat. It's a myth
that ground turkey is better for you than other ground meats. But hey, good
luck on browning those turkey burgers!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 13:16:16 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > wrote:
>>
>> You could mix it with a little TVP and add a dash of kitchen bouquet
>> if you want more color. The TVP
>> will give it a bit more meat like consistency.
>>

> And Julie just complained about soy "crap" in a preceding thread.
>
> --

Isn't Julie the one whose entire family is "allergic" to everything and she
doesn't like any food we post about? She'd complain about water if it would
make her feel better. Munchausan's by Proxy doesn't begin to explain it.

OB Turkey Burgers Indienne:

Okay, they don't actually brown. But they're tasty if you like that sort of
thing.

First posted in 2002:

Turkey Burgers Indienne (from 'Cooking Light' magazine of the same year)

16 oz. lean ground turkey
2 green onions, minced
1-2 tsp. Tabasco pepper sauce (to taste)
2 tsp. soy sauce
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. sesame oil
4 wholewheat buns, lightly toasted

In mixing bowl, combine turkey, minced green onion, soy, ginger, Tabasco and
sesame oil. Form mixture into 4 thick patties (about 3/4 inch thick; they
will shrink). Oven-broil or grill 5-6 inches from heat about 5 minutes on
each side, pressing lightly when turning. Serve on toasted wheat buns with
your choice of toppings. Serves 4

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
>Pringles CheezUms wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to make a turkey burger brown?

>What a stupid thought!!!
>
>Leave it out on the table and it will turn brown!

No wonder you can't win the lottery.

Eat and wait for it to exit... badda bing! LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> "Pringles CheezUms" > wrote in message
> > Is there a way to make a turkey burger brown?
> > Something to add that makes a turkey burger look pretty much the same as
> > a beef hamburger, including, even especially, browning, but keep the
> > healthful benefits of the turkey?
> >

> I wouldn't worry about browning it... I'd worry about what's *in* it. What
> makes you think ground turkey is "healthful"? Most of the time turkey is
> ground right along with the skin, which contains all the fat. It's a myth
> that ground turkey is better for you than other ground meats. But hey, good
> luck on browning those turkey burgers!

At least with ground beef in the parts of the US that I've lived, you
know just how fatty it is (or claims to be), since it is a legal
requirement to put that on the label. Not so for ground turkey and
pork. If the label says something, I assume that has to be true, but
nothing is required. If the label says nothing more than "ground
turkey", I assume the worst. In fact, I don't buy it. And ground meat
on sale is often not a good deal either, in my experience. We have an
independent supermarket about a mile from our house, and buy much of our
meat there. It is quite a bit more expensive, but it's worth it. We
buy the "80%" beef, and it seems leaner and with less waste than stuff
labeled as having less fat at other stores.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I would try Gravy Master. It is all veggie seasonings, and caramelized
sugar. It is not as salty as Kitchen Bouquet, which almost ruined a
meal when I used it instead of Gravy Master.

One caveat: I made turkey burgers and didn't tell it wasn't ground
Beef. When people wanted theirs on the rare side, we did cook them
that way, and I held my breath that no one would get ill. They didn't,
but I vowed to use only beef when it was guests for whom we were
cooking. And I wouldn't eat Turkey burgers any way except fully
cooked. YMMV.

The meal I almost ruined was Black Diamond Steak. Skirt steaks
marinated in: Gravy Master, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika,
salt, pepper, and a little cayenne. Let them soak for 6 or so hours
then do them on the grill. This is a real favorite at our house. The
name comes from the pieces of sand washed glass that are sold & found
on the beaches at Cape May NJ. They are called Cape May Diamonds. The
restaurant we had the Black Diamond Steak at was in Cape May. Steaks
will be black on outside but pink inside, according to how long you
cook them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 09:54:54 -0700 (PDT), Nan >
wrote:

> I would try Gravy Master. It is all veggie seasonings, and caramelized
> sugar. It is not as salty as Kitchen Bouquet, which almost ruined a
> meal when I used it instead of Gravy Master.

<Googling: gravy master> http://www.patchett.us/test/temp002~.htm
I'll look for it! I'm unimpressed by Kitchen Bouquet and prefer Lea
and Perrins Worcestershire sauce, but sometimes I just want brown - no
L&P flavor.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 10:37:13 -0700 in rec.food.cooking, sf
> wrote,
>I'll look for it! I'm unimpressed by Kitchen Bouquet and prefer Lea
>and Perrins Worcestershire sauce, but sometimes I just want brown - no
>L&P flavor.

I've never tried it, but Smart and Final had bottles of
liquid Caramel Color right next to the quarts of Red #2 etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 21:39:05 -0700, David Harmon >
wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 10:37:13 -0700 in rec.food.cooking, sf
> > wrote,
> >I'll look for it! I'm unimpressed by Kitchen Bouquet and prefer Lea
> >and Perrins Worcestershire sauce, but sometimes I just want brown - no
> >L&P flavor.

> I've never tried it, but Smart and Final had bottles of
> liquid Caramel Color right next to the quarts of Red #2 etc.

TY, now I'm glad I put off going to Smart & Final today. I'll look
there tomorrow.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 23:59:42 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 21:39:05 -0700, David Harmon >
>wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 10:37:13 -0700 in rec.food.cooking, sf
>> > wrote,
>> >I'll look for it! I'm unimpressed by Kitchen Bouquet and prefer Lea
>> >and Perrins Worcestershire sauce, but sometimes I just want brown - no
>> >L&P flavor.

>> I've never tried it, but Smart and Final had bottles of
>> liquid Caramel Color right next to the quarts of Red #2 etc.

>TY, now I'm glad I put off going to Smart & Final today. I'll look
>there tomorrow.

You're not going to like it for your use:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caramel_color
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 08:42:41 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 23:59:42 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 21:39:05 -0700, David Harmon >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 10:37:13 -0700 in rec.food.cooking, sf
> >>
> >> I've never tried it, but Smart and Final had bottles of
> >> liquid Caramel Color right next to the quarts of Red #2 etc.

> >TY, now I'm glad I put off going to Smart & Final today. I'll look
> >there tomorrow.

> You're not going to like it for your use:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caramel_color

Thanks for the info.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.