Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grilling turkey burgers?

I just put together some ground turkey burgers, but they're really
soft and squishy. Think they'll hold up on the grill?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mitch" <Mitch@...> wrote in message
>I just put together some ground turkey burgers, but they're really
> soft and squishy. Think they'll hold up on the grill?

If:

- You scrape the grill so it's clean & smooth
- You don't press the burgers down
- You get under them with a metal spatula slid in the direction of the
grating

You should be fine. You could also tip the odds in your favor by brushing
them with some oil. The mention this because the instructions that come with
Weber grills always say to resist the temptation to oil the grill. Oil the
food, instead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Mitch@...
says...
> I just put together some ground turkey burgers, but they're really
> soft and squishy. Think they'll hold up on the grill?

Whatever else you do, give them time to cook and firm up on one side
before flipping them. If you don't give them at least a couple of
minutes on side 1, they're almost guaranteed to fall apart when you try
to get a spatula or tongs between them and the grill to flip them.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mitch said...

> I just put together some ground turkey burgers, but they're really
> soft and squishy. Think they'll hold up on the grill?

Mitch

Store bought ground turkey produces a better burger than ground turkey
breast. Imho.

Good luck,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mitch wrote:

> I just put together some ground turkey burgers, but they're really
> soft and squishy. Think they'll hold up on the grill?

Ideally you want to put them over very high heat to get a good initial
crust on each side and then move them to the side and close the grill
for a few minutes to finish cooking them on the inside.

Gas grills typically have trouble getting the high heat you want to
start. If you don't have that high heat to start they are much more
likely to droop between the grill bars. If you can't get the high heat
you can cheat and use one of the fine add on screens used for vegetables
and small items since they will support the burger better. If you use
the sub grill make sure it preheats just like the regular grill.

Whatever you do don't press on the burgers. I like to use Bell's poultry
seasoning in my turkey burger mix and cranberry mayo is a nice
condiment.

Pete C.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Pete C." > wrote:

> Mitch wrote:
> >
> > I just put together some ground turkey burgers, but they're really
> > soft and squishy. Think they'll hold up on the grill?

> Ideally you want to put them over very high heat to get a good initial
> crust on each side and then move them to the side and close the grill
> for a few minutes to finish cooking them on the inside.

To avoid having the patties stick to the grill, spray them with a light
coating of non-stick spray before cooking them and avoid to moving them
too much while they cook.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Shawn Hirn wrote:

> In article >,
> "Pete C." > wrote:
>
> > Mitch wrote:
> > >
> > > I just put together some ground turkey burgers, but they're really
> > > soft and squishy. Think they'll hold up on the grill?

> > Ideally you want to put them over very high heat to get a good initial
> > crust on each side and then move them to the side and close the grill
> > for a few minutes to finish cooking them on the inside.

> To avoid having the patties stick to the grill, spray them with a light
> coating of non-stick spray before cooking them and avoid to moving them
> too much while they cook.

That's not an issue when the grill is glowing...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:

> I just put together some ground turkey burgers, but they're really
> soft and squishy. Think they'll hold up on the grill?

It'll work if you use a veggie screen...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Mitch said...
>
> > I just put together some ground turkey burgers, but they're really
> > soft and squishy. Think they'll hold up on the grill?

> Mitch
>
> Store bought ground turkey produces a better burger than ground turkey
> breast. Imho.

Probably because store bought ground turkey is nearly as high in fat as
store bought ground meat. The fat probably acts as a binder.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz said...

> In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> Mitch said...
>>
>> > I just put together some ground turkey burgers, but they're really
>> > soft and squishy. Think they'll hold up on the grill?

>> Mitch
>>
>> Store bought ground turkey produces a better burger than ground turkey
>> breast. Imho.

> Probably because store bought ground turkey is nearly as high in fat as
> store bought ground meat. The fat probably acts as a binder.

Stan,

Perhaps but the ground turkey breast was very dry and you could detect the
ground up turkey bones (If that's what that was) as you chewed. ICK!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Mitch <Mitch@...> wrote:
>
>> I just put together some ground turkey burgers, but they're really
>> soft and squishy. Think they'll hold up on the grill?

> It'll work if you use a veggie screen...

Hell, just pop them under the broiler in the oven and avoid all the angst

Jill