Posted to rec.arts.tv.uk.misc,rec.food.cooking,rec.pets.dogs.misc

Default Eating Puppy Meat Is the Same as Eating Pork, British TV ChefSays

On 10/12/2011 8:36 AM, Stephen Newport wrote:
> (Sky News) - British TV chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall claimed that
> eating puppy meat is no more morally objectionable than consuming pork.
>
> The celebrity chef previously shocked viewers by eating placenta pate,
> curried fruit bat, giraffe and calf testicles and now claims that he
> would not be against a "high-welfare organic puppy farm."
>
> Fearnley-Whittingstall, the star of Channel 4's "River Cottage," was
> asked by British magazine Radio Times whether he would try loin of
> Labrador or cat liver.
>
> "Not unless I was on the point of starvation," he replied. "In principle,
> but not in practice, I have no objection to a high-welfare organic puppy
> farm."
>
> He added, "You can't object, unless you also object to the farming of
> pigs. It's an artificial construct of our society, a cultural decision,
> to make pets out of dogs and meat out of pigs. Both animals could be used
> the other way round, although pigs probably do make better meat than dogs
> and dogs better pets than pigs, but it's not a foregone conclusion."

The Vietnamese Pot-bellied (or miniature) Pig makes quite a good pet but
I don't refuse pork. Given the long intertwined evolutionary development
of dogs and people, I think dogs deserve to be respected. See the recent
PBS documentary.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*