Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Gadgets for food fanatics

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> "Christopher M." wrote:
>>
>> I thought it might be fun to start a thread about cooking gadgets that
>> most
>> foodies don't really need, but love anyway.
>>
>> A chocolate tempering machine:
>> http://www.amazon.com/Chocolate-Temp.../ref=pd_sbs_k3

> Even since they changed Amazon I can't access it,
> but if that's a Revolation 1 or 2 don't waste
> your money on it. The smallest Revolation you
> should consider is the X3210. For a little more
> than a Revolation 1 or 2, you can get what I have:
>
> http://www.americanchocolatemould.com/products/
>
> For dipping truffles, you need a machine that
> maintains a wave of molten chocolate large enough
> to dunk a truffle center into. You also need a
> machine with enough capacity to hold all the
> chocolate needed for a batch. Don't count on
> adding chocolate midway during a batch. Maybe
> I'm doing something wrong, but it just doesn't
> melt while holding the tempering temperature.
> If you run the temperature up to melt it, you
> lose the temper. Much better is to start with
> all the chocolate you plan to use.

you need to run the temperature up higher than the hold temp in order to
dissolve all the crystals (including the bad ones), then bring it down to
the proper temp so you only have the good crystals. You are not doing
anything wrong.

good info! thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Pico Rico wrote:
>>
>> you need to run the temperature up higher than the hold temp in order to
>> dissolve all the crystals (including the bad ones), then bring it down to
>> the proper temp so you only have the good crystals. You are not doing
>> anything wrong.
>>
>> good info! thanks.

> You also need to seed it when you bring the
> temperature down. Which basically means you're
> starting over from the beginning. What I meant
> when I said I might be doing something wrong
> is that maybe the solid chocolate should be
> melted elsewhere, then dribbled hot (i.e. above
> the temperature where everything chocolate melts)
> into the tempered chocolate. I say dribbled,
> because you don't want the temperature to rise more
> than a couple degrees. I haven't tried this method
> nor am I likely to, because I've decided on-the-fly
> replenishment is a bad idea. If I were doing it
> commercially, then maybe I'd need to do this.

you actually don't need to seed it. there are a couple different
techniques. but you are right - once you have it all just right, you can't
just go fooling with it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher M." wrote:

> I thought it might be fun to start a thread about cooking gadgets that most
> foodies don't really need, but love anyway.
>
> A chocolate tempering machine:
> http://www.amazon.com/Chocolate-Temp.../ref=pd_sbs_k3

Even since they changed Amazon I can't access it,
but if that's a Revolation 1 or 2 don't waste
your money on it. The smallest Revolation you
should consider is the X3210. For a little more
than a Revolation 1 or 2, you can get what I have:

http://www.americanchocolatemould.com/products/

For dipping truffles, you need a machine that
maintains a wave of molten chocolate large enough
to dunk a truffle center into. You also need a
machine with enough capacity to hold all the
chocolate needed for a batch. Don't count on
adding chocolate midway during a batch. Maybe
I'm doing something wrong, but it just doesn't
melt while holding the tempering temperature.
If you run the temperature up to melt it, you
lose the temper. Much better is to start with
all the chocolate you plan to use.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pico Rico wrote:

> you need to run the temperature up higher than the hold temp in order to
> dissolve all the crystals (including the bad ones), then bring it down to
> the proper temp so you only have the good crystals. You are not doing
> anything wrong.
>
> good info! thanks.

You also need to seed it when you bring the
temperature down. Which basically means you're
starting over from the beginning. What I meant
when I said I might be doing something wrong
is that maybe the solid chocolate should be
melted elsewhere, then dribbled hot (i.e. above
the temperature where everything chocolate melts)
into the tempered chocolate. I say dribbled,
because you don't want the temperature to rise more
than a couple degrees. I haven't tried this method
nor am I likely to, because I've decided on-the-fly
replenishment is a bad idea. If I were doing it
commercially, then maybe I'd need to do this.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 7, 5:34*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> "Christopher M." wrote:
>
> > I thought it might be fun to start a thread about cooking gadgets that most
> > foodies don't really need, but love anyway.

> > A chocolate tempering machine:
> >http://www.amazon.com/Chocolate-Temp...ation-INCLUDED...

> Even since they changed Amazon I can't access it,
> but if that's a Revolation 1 or 2 don't waste
> your money on it. *The smallest Revolation you
> should consider is the X3210. *For a little more
> than a Revolation 1 or 2, you can get what I have:
>
> http://www.americanchocolatemould.com/products/
>
> For dipping truffles, you need a machine that
> maintains a wave of molten chocolate large enough
> to dunk a truffle center into. *You also need a
> machine with enough capacity to hold all the
> chocolate needed for a batch. *Don't count on
> adding chocolate midway during a batch. *Maybe
> I'm doing something wrong, but it just doesn't
> melt while holding the tempering temperature.
> If you run the temperature up to melt it, you
> lose the temper. *Much better is to start with
> all the chocolate you plan to use.

You don't need no stinkin' machine to temper...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
On Oct 7, 5:34 pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> "Christopher M." wrote:
>
> > I thought it might be fun to start a thread about cooking gadgets that
> > most
> > foodies don't really need, but love anyway.

> > A chocolate tempering machine:
> >http://www.amazon.com/Chocolate-Temp...ation-INCLUDED...

> Even since they changed Amazon I can't access it,
> but if that's a Revolation 1 or 2 don't waste
> your money on it. The smallest Revolation you
> should consider is the X3210. For a little more
> than a Revolation 1 or 2, you can get what I have:
>
> http://www.americanchocolatemould.com/products/
>
> For dipping truffles, you need a machine that
> maintains a wave of molten chocolate large enough
> to dunk a truffle center into. You also need a
> machine with enough capacity to hold all the
> chocolate needed for a batch. Don't count on
> adding chocolate midway during a batch. Maybe
> I'm doing something wrong, but it just doesn't
> melt while holding the tempering temperature.
> If you run the temperature up to melt it, you
> lose the temper. Much better is to start with
> all the chocolate you plan to use.

>You don't need no stinkin' machine to temper...

Shall we start all over?

"I thought it might be fun to start a thread about cooking gadgets that most
foodies don't really need, but love anyway."

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nad Nad is offline

"Pico Rico" > wrote:

> Shall we start all over?
>
> "I thought it might be fun to start a thread about cooking gadgets that most
> foodies don't really need, but love anyway."

Does long handle ice tea spoons count?
http://alturl.com/58ebu

Or Rolling pin spacers
http://alturl.com/na727