Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do You Like Any 'Odd' Food Combinations?

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 14:44:04 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> We made "Dutch" apple pies at the restaurant. The streusel topping
> on the pie had shredded sharp cheddar in it.

That's an interesting variation! Hope I remember it when the apple
pie making bug bites me this Fall.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 14:12:55 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> Yes, I'm not in the group that likes melted cheese on apple pie - I
> like a munch of a Cheddar wedge along with a bite of pie.

I'd never heard of melting the cheese on apple pie on purpose. I've
seen it partially melt if the pie was fresh out of the oven and the
cheese was thinly sliced... but put under a broiler to melt on
purpose? No.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 20:34:32 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

> Herbed cream cheese

Do you make it or buy it, Gloria? If you make it, would you please
post your recipe? I know there are plenty on the internet, but I'd
like to see *yours*.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 14:58:49 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> I like cranberry sauce on turkey sandwiches. I quickly tire of leftover
> turkey. The usual deal is to have three turkey sandwiches over at least
> as many days. One will be with cranberry sauce, one with mayo and one
> with turkey salad. After a turkey dinner, a dinner of Turkey Divine and
> three turkey sandwiches, I don't want to see turkey again for at least 6
> months.

I don't even do that much turkey, but I discovered I love turkey
tetrazzini - so that's a good way for me to get rid of the leftovers.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 16:05:58 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

> Turkey
> Mayo
> Cranberry sauce
> Stuffing
>
> ...on home made rye.

My son likes those sandwiches too. He's not as fussy about the bread
though.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 16:43:48 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> I suspect that the real reason is to spread the two major
> turkey fests across a wider time frame so we don't have to have it again
> so soon.

I often wish ours were further apart for that very reason. As it is,
I make roast beef for xmas instead of turkey.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 07:27:12 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> don't buy a whole bird unless family are here and insist. I buy him just
> a turkey breast and he is happy with that. I usually cook it in a wine and
> cream sauce and it makes it so much nicer that I will eat a bit too.

How about a recipe for that? I'd buy a thigh and try it.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 17:14:29 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> will you try cheese with fruit cake?

Remind us when the time comes!

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 14:10:16 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> I generally don't eat fruitcake because I'm allergic to tree nuts, and
> there are usually some of those in a fruitcake. I've never made it,

You should do it once, just to say you did. It's not hard at all,
just costly.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 14:12:07 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> > PB, lettuce and mayo
> > PB and dill pickle slices
> > PB and bacon
> > Don't knock it 'till you try it ;-).
> >
> > Ross.

> Very strange, PB and bacon

It sounds delicious to me!

PB and dill pickle slices are very tasty
PB and bacon sounds delicious
But PB, lettuce and mayo is just plain wrong

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 22:19:56 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

> OK, Jello salads take us to a whole new level of odd.

Have you ever tried the one that's a red (strawberry?) jello on a
pretzel crust? Sounds disgusting, but is pretty darned good. You
have to have faith and take the first bite. After that, you're good
to go.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 12:38:11 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> pecan pie and beer

Guinness or any old beer?

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 17:24:11 -0400, "JonquilJan" >
wrote:

> My mother used to enjoy cold boiled sliced potato sandwiches. Said it was a
> treat from her childhood.

Sounds like Depression Era food to me.

Add two dashes followed by a space above your sig line so that normal
news readers will automatically delete it on reply.
--

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 07:43:44 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> "Keith" <>>
> >
> > I like bacon and Hershey bar sandwiches - you cook them like a grilled
> > cheese until it's all gooey and yummy.
> >

> Keith, I declare you the winner here! Bacon and Hershey bar sandwiches?
> Grilled? We'll be having a 7 year-old guest in October. I think we'll try
> your sandwich. Do you butter the bread? Polly

Do you have a panini press, Polly?

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 20:48:16 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> Mashed potatoes or rice with corn or creamed corn mixed in. Everyone
> used to say "eww" but even KFC made a FAMOUS bowl with the combination.

It can't be *that* famous. I've never heard of it, although mashed
potato with some kind of corn mixed in sounds very appealing.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

> When I moved to the south, the first time we went to a burger place
> (Whataburger) I was very surprised to find that they put mustard on their
> burgers.

Out in the West, the awesome In-n-Out burger chain has a not-so-secret
secret menu. The "Animal Style" burger on their secret menu has the patty
coated with mustard *before* cooking, and is one of their most popular
burgers.

http://www.in-n-out.com/secretmenu.asp

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>Have you ever tried the one that's a red
> (strawberry?) jello on a pretzel crust?
> Sounds disgusting, but is pretty darned
> good. You have to have faith and take
> the first bite. After that, you're good to
> go.

Mmmmmmmmm that is SO good! In our family, we like it for dessert, and
often times our kids request I make it. There is something that is
really tasty about the salty sweet flavors together like that!

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>Have you ever made pecan pie with
> Kahlua in it? Just substitute some
> Kahlua for Karo and make the recipe on
> the jar/bottle. I think the recipe calls for
> 1/4 cup substitution, but it's a bit strong
> for me so I don't use as much.

No, can't say I ever have, and to be honest, it doesn't sound that
appealing to me. I like Kahlua with coke, but I want my pecan pie to
taste LIKE pecan pie with a scoop of ice cream on top, but even plain,
it's gourmet fare!

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>>> I like sharp cheddar with apples.

>> Add salami, bread. wine, and you have dinner in front of the fireplace.

> Turn the cheese into fondue and I'll join you by the fire!

If it's fireside, then raclette is the better choice.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> OK, Jello salads take us to a whole new level of odd.

> Have you ever tried the one that's a red (strawberry?) jello on a
> pretzel crust? Sounds disgusting, but is pretty darned good. You
> have to have faith and take the first bite. After that, you're good
> to go.

I have a recipe for a raspberry Jell-O pie filling with lime juice and cream
cheese, served in a pretzel crust. It's pretty good.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29/09/2011 9:46 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 08:45:40 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>
>> I do NOT put catsup on anything but French fries

> I'm with you Nancy! I don't even dip onion rings in catsup.

Who would dip onion rings in ketchup? That would be really disgusting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29/09/2011 9:46 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 15:10:37 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> I live in southern Ontario too, and I can't imagine a hamburger without
>> mustard.... and relish.

> Would that be a home made burger? I've seen relish in packets at
> certain fast food joints, but I don't see relish on the table with
> mustard& catsup very often.

Relish usually offered anywhere you get hamburgers around here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29/09/2011 9:46 PM, sf wrote:

> I'd never heard of melting the cheese on apple pie on purpose. I've
> seen it partially melt if the pie was fresh out of the oven and the
> cheese was thinly sliced... but put under a broiler to melt on
> purpose? No.

That would not work for me. I prefer pie cold.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> Mashed potatoes or rice with corn or creamed corn mixed in. Everyone
>> used to say "eww" but even KFC made a FAMOUS bowl with the combination.
>>

> It can't be *that* famous. I've never heard of it, although mashed
> potato with some kind of corn mixed in sounds very appealing.

The "bowls" came out about four years ago, to pretty much universal PUBLIC
condemnation. But even though nobody would admit to eating them I think they
must have sold pretty well, or they wouldn't be on the KFC menu now.

http://www.kfc.com/menu/bowls.asp

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" <> wrote > On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 07:43:44 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> > wrote:

>> "Keith" <>>
>> >
>> > I like bacon and Hershey bar sandwiches - you cook them like a grilled
>> > cheese until it's all gooey and yummy.
>> >

>> Keith, I declare you the winner here! Bacon and Hershey bar sandwiches?
>> Grilled? We'll be having a 7 year-old guest in October. I think we'll
>> try
>> your sandwich. Do you butter the bread? Polly

> Do you have a panini press, Polly?

No. I don't but think I'd enjoy one. Probably AB would have us wrap a
brick in foil and heat it. Do you think a panini press is worthy of the
space it takes? A mashed and toasted sandwich of some kind is usually on
every week's menu; crabmeat po'boy comes to mind. Can you recommend one?
Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
b.com...
> sf wrote:
>
>>> Mashed potatoes or rice with corn or creamed corn mixed in. Everyone
>>> used to say "eww" but even KFC made a FAMOUS bowl with the combination.
>>>

>> It can't be *that* famous. I've never heard of it, although mashed
>> potato with some kind of corn mixed in sounds very appealing.

> The "bowls" came out about four years ago, to pretty much universal PUBLIC
> condemnation. But even though nobody would admit to eating them I think
> they must have sold pretty well, or they wouldn't be on the KFC menu now.
>
> http://www.kfc.com/menu/bowls.asp

My parents ate them and loved them. I made my own version at home with
plain chicken. Didn't go over well at all. But I liked it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.6109

Julie wrote:

>>> It can't be *that* famous. I've never heard of it, although mashed
>>> potato with some kind of corn mixed in sounds very appealing.

>> The "bowls" came out about four years ago, to pretty much universal
>> PUBLIC condemnation. But even though nobody would admit to eating them I
>> think they must have sold pretty well, or they wouldn't be on the KFC
>> menu now.
>>
>> http://www.kfc.com/menu/bowls.asp

> My parents ate them and loved them. I made my own version at home with
> plain chicken. Didn't go over well at all. But I liked it.

I could never warm up to the idea. It just seems too much like slopping
pigs, putting all that stuff into a trough.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>It can't be *that* famous. I've never
> heard of it, although mashed potato with
> some kind of corn mixed in sounds very
> appealing.

I like peas mixed in with my mashed potatoes, so when I fix them, I
usually cook up some peas too, and put them right close to the smashed
spuds, so can kind of scoop them into the potatoes and eat them at the
same time.

I do have a recipe for baked mac & cheese with creamed corn added to it,
and I liked it, but hubby didn't care for it, so never made it a second
time.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 19:35:15 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> >> Add salami, bread. wine, and you have dinner in front of the fireplace.

> > Turn the cheese into fondue and I'll join you by the fire!

> If it's fireside, then raclette is the better choice.

Can't say I've ever had that, but I've served cheese fondue many times
by the fireplace.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 22:50:21 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 29/09/2011 9:46 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 15:10:37 -0400, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I live in southern Ontario too, and I can't imagine a hamburger without
> >> mustard.... and relish.

> > Would that be a home made burger? I've seen relish in packets at
> > certain fast food joints, but I don't see relish on the table with
> > mustard& catsup very often.
> >

> Relish usually offered anywhere you get hamburgers around here.

Not here. Maybe you can ask for it, but I don't.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 18:49:11 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> George wrote:
>
> > When I moved to the south, the first time we went to a burger place
> > (Whataburger) I was very surprised to find that they put mustard on their
> > burgers.

> Out in the West, the awesome In-n-Out burger chain has a not-so-secret
> secret menu. The "Animal Style" burger on their secret menu has the patty
> coated with mustard *before* cooking, and is one of their most popular
> burgers.
>
> http://www.in-n-out.com/secretmenu.asp

I stopped ordering that because I don't like grilled onions on my
burger. The good thing about In n Out is they will make it exactly
the way you order. I may or may not get a double single (two patties,
one slice of cheese) with extra lettuce, tomato and *raw* onion.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 19:41:49 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> >> OK, Jello salads take us to a whole new level of odd.

> > Have you ever tried the one that's a red (strawberry?) jello on a
> > pretzel crust? Sounds disgusting, but is pretty darned good. You
> > have to have faith and take the first bite. After that, you're good
> > to go.

> I have a recipe for a raspberry Jell-O pie filling with lime juice and cream
> cheese, served in a pretzel crust. It's pretty good.

It's been eons since I've had it, Bob. Would you please post your
recipe? I don't remember if what I ate had a cream cheese layer or
not, but it sounds good to me!

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 03:32:05 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

> My mother made that every Thanksgiving, using Cranberry Jello, and Christmas
> using red (no idea the "flavor", just red). While everyong else seemed to
> love it, I thought it was disgusting.

<laugh> Well, you know you weren't in the norm since the rest of your
family liked it.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 22:14:55 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> "sf" <> wrote > On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 07:43:44 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> > > wrote:

> >> "Keith" <>>

> >> Keith, I declare you the winner here! Bacon and Hershey bar sandwiches?
> >> Grilled? We'll be having a 7 year-old guest in October. I think we'll
> >> try
> >> your sandwich. Do you butter the bread? Polly

> > Do you have a panini press, Polly?

> No. I don't but think I'd enjoy one. Probably AB would have us wrap a
> brick in foil and heat it. Do you think a panini press is worthy of the
> space it takes? A mashed and toasted sandwich of some kind is usually on
> every week's menu; crabmeat po'boy comes to mind. Can you recommend one?

Oh, I don't own a panini press! That sandwich seemed perfect for it,
and that's why I asked. AFAIC, grill marks on sandwiches are da bomb.
I think they take a plain old "grilled" whatever sandwich upscale.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 19:54:08 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> >> Mashed potatoes or rice with corn or creamed corn mixed in. Everyone
> >> used to say "eww" but even KFC made a FAMOUS bowl with the combination.
> >>

> > It can't be *that* famous. I've never heard of it, although mashed
> > potato with some kind of corn mixed in sounds very appealing.

> The "bowls" came out about four years ago, to pretty much universal PUBLIC
> condemnation. But even though nobody would admit to eating them I think they
> must have sold pretty well, or they wouldn't be on the KFC menu now.
>
> http://www.kfc.com/menu/bowls.asp

I guess it helps that I don't eat at KFC much/ever, but you'd think I
would have at least heard of them through advertising. Wasn't doing
much TV watching 4 years ago though, so that's one reason why I guess.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>>> Have you ever tried the one that's a red (strawberry?) jello on a
>>> pretzel crust? Sounds disgusting, but is pretty darned good. You
>>> have to have faith and take the first bite. After that, you're good
>>> to go.

>> I have a recipe for a raspberry Jell-O pie filling with lime juice and
>> cream
>> cheese, served in a pretzel crust. It's pretty good.
>>

> It's been eons since I've had it, Bob. Would you please post your
> recipe? I don't remember if what I ate had a cream cheese layer or
> not, but it sounds good to me!

I modified Damsel's recipe. Here's hers:

Raspberry-Pretzel Dessert

Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : desserts fruits
spring/summer

----CRUST----
2 cup pretzels -- crushed
3/4 cup melted butter
3 tablespoon sugar
----CREAM CHEESE LAYER----
3/4 cup sugar
8 ounces cream cheese -- softened
1 small tub cool whip
----FRUIT LAYER----
2 small boxes raspberry jello
2 cup boiling water
2 packages raspberries -- partially thawed

1. Mix together pretzels, butter, and 3 tablespoons sugar, and press
in bottom of 9 x 13-inch pan. Bake for 10 minutes at 400F. Cool.
2. Cream the 3/4 cup sugar and cream cheese, fold in cool whip, pour over
pretzel layer.
3. Dissolve jello in water, add berries, pour over cream cheese, chill 5-6
hours.

Here's mine, which is put together in three separate intervals:

Raspberry-Lime Pretzel Pie

1 1/2 cups pretzels, coarsely crushed
2/3 cup melted butter
1/4 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix pretzels, sugar, and butter together with your
hands, then press into a deep-dish pie tin (or large tart pan if you want it
to look all fancy and pretentious). Bake 10 minutes; crust should be
slightly more browned than when it went into the oven. Cool completely.
(Take cream cheese from next portion out of the refrigerator now.)

6 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch

Beat the cream cheese and sugar together until light and fluffy (as if you
were creaming butter and sugar for cookies). Mixture should not be gritty at
all; keep beating until the sugar is completely dissolved. In a separate
bowl, whip cream and cornstarch until soft peaks hold. Fold whipped cream
into cheese mixture and spoon into prepared crust. Smooth top of mixture;
you want it as level as possible. (An offset spatula is the best tool I've
found for that job.) Chill for at least 45 minutes.

1 box raspberry Jell-O
juice and zest from one lime
boiling water
1 pint fresh or frozen raspberries
Sugar to taste (up to 1/4 cup, but I usually only use about 1 1/2 teaspoons)

Add boiling water to juice and zest until you have a total volume of one
cup. Dissolve Jell-O in liquid, add berries, and taste. Add sugar to taste.
Remove berries from liquid a few at a time with a slotted spoon and arrange
over cheese mixture in pie pan, pushing berries slightly into the cheese
mixture so they won't float out of place when you add the liquid. Carefully
pour the liquid over (there may be some excess) and chill until completely
set, about 1 1/2 hours.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>>> Turn the cheese into fondue and I'll join you by the fire!

>> If it's fireside, then raclette is the better choice.
>>

> Can't say I've ever had that, but I've served cheese fondue many times
> by the fireplace.

Raclette is easy: Just put a melty cheese facing toward the fire and scrape
off the edges as it melts.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 01:22:09 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> Raclette is easy: Just put a melty cheese facing toward the fire and scrape
> off the edges as it melts.

Yes, I understand the procedure... but easy as it sounds, it seems
like too much work for melted cheese. Might as well make a sandwich.
Maybe it's not cold enough here for me to get excited over it. In any
case - I think I'd need a real wood fire, Three Hour Logs won't do.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.