Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do You Like Any 'Odd' Food Combinations?

I have a friend that likes warm chili over vanilla ice cream and another
friend that likes a thin chocolate pudding over a piece of apple pie.

I've always liked toasted cold left-over liver sandwiches with catsup in
them, and like to smear a banana with peanut butter before eating it,
but not sure that is "odd" exactly, but it's darn tasty!

If you have any strange combos that you like, what are they?

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> I have a friend that likes warm chili over vanilla ice cream and another
> friend that likes a thin chocolate pudding over a piece of apple pie.
>
> I've always liked toasted cold left-over liver sandwiches with catsup in
> them, and like to smear a banana with peanut butter before eating it,
> but not sure that is "odd" exactly, but it's darn tasty!
>
> If you have any strange combos that you like, what are they?

I don't eat sweets too often any more. But as a kid I loved canned pears
with chocolate syrup. Not sure where I came up with that.

And in the cafeteria where I used to work, they used leftover cherry pie
filling on chocolate pudding. I don't like most chocolate pudding. I would
make my own in the microwave and cook it to extra thick. Then put cherry
pie filling on top.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28/09/2011 4:45 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> I have a friend that likes warm chili over vanilla ice cream and another
> friend that likes a thin chocolate pudding over a piece of apple pie.
>
> I've always liked toasted cold left-over liver sandwiches with catsup in
> them, and like to smear a banana with peanut butter before eating it,
> but not sure that is "odd" exactly, but it's darn tasty!
>
> If you have any strange combos that you like, what are they?
>
> Judy

I enjoy sliced apples with salt on them. Some people seem to think that
is odd - until they try it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sock" > wrote

> I enjoy sliced apples with salt on them. Some people seem to think that
> is odd - until they try it.

Have you tried pepper on watermelon?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote

> If you have any strange combos that you like, what are they?
>
> Judy

For a snack, I'll make crackers with PB&J, but once in a while, instead of
jelly, ketchup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 28, 5:50*am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Sock" > wrote
>

> > I enjoy sliced apples with salt onthem. Some people seem to think that> is odd - untilthey try it.

> Haveyoutried pepper on watermelon? *

I've had hot pepper on an orange that I bought from a vendor in
Southern Mexico.
Can't say that it appealed to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> I have a friend that likes warm chili over vanilla ice cream and another
> friend that likes a thin chocolate pudding over a piece of apple pie.
>
> I've always liked toasted cold left-over liver sandwiches with catsup in
> them, and like to smear a banana with peanut butter before eating it,
> but not sure that is "odd" exactly, but it's darn tasty!
>
> If you have any strange combos that you like, what are they?

Well I have a favourite which is common where I grew up in Yorkshire.
Obviously WE don't think it odd but sometimes others do I always eat
cheese with fruitcake and sometimes with apple pie.
--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 18:25:29 +1000, Sock > wrote:

> I enjoy sliced apples with salt on them. Some people seem to think that
> is odd - until they try it.

My dad likes watermelon with salt. Not my cup of tea, although feta
and watermelon salad tastes better than it sounds.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/28/2011 1:45 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:
> If you have any strange combos that you like, what are they?

Down here in the South they put mustard on hamburgers. Now THAT is odd!

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message
> On 9/28/2011 1:45 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:
>> If you have any strange combos that you like, what are they?

> Down here in the South they put mustard on hamburgers. Now THAT is odd!

lol sounds good to me

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 04:59:57 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 18:25:29 +1000, Sock > wrote:
>
>> I enjoy sliced apples with salt on them. Some people seem to think that
>> is odd - until they try it.

>My dad likes watermelon with salt. Not my cup of tea, although feta
>and watermelon salad tastes better than it sounds.

And I guess here's where I say I like mint in my watermelon-feta
salad. [and a splash of balsamic vinegar]

And I like the occasional apple or watermelon with salt. not all the
time. .. but sometimes.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote in message

> On 28-Sep-2011, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> Obviously WE don't think it odd but sometimes others do I always eat
>> cheese with fruitcake and sometimes with apple pie.

> Yum; a nice slice of cheddar on apple pie. It's especially tasty on apple
> pie warmed under the broiler, just enough to slightly melt the cheddar.

YES)))))))))))))))

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 28, 2:45*am, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> I have a friend that likes warm chili over vanilla ice cream and another
> friend that likes a thin chocolate pudding over a piece of apple pie.
>
> I've always liked toasted cold left-over liver sandwiches with catsup in
> them, and like to smear a banana with peanut butter before eating it,
> but not sure that is "odd" exactly, but it's darn tasty!
>
> If you have any strange combos that you like, what are they?
>
> Judy

A friend likes cream cheese with his smoked turkey and swiss on rye.

As a kid, I was wont to make myself a peanut butter and ketchup
sandwich.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/28/2011 10:00 AM, l, not -l wrote:

> Huh! That's the way God meant for hamburgers to be dressed

Blasphemy!

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 14:53:35 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

>On 28-Sep-2011, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> Obviously WE don't think it odd but sometimes others do I always eat
>> cheese with fruitcake and sometimes with apple pie.

>Yum; a nice slice of cheddar on apple pie. It's especially tasty on apple
>pie warmed under the broiler, just enough to slightly melt the cheddar.

I like it every decade or so. But my father in law used to say
"Apple pie without some cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze."

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

As kids we daubed raw rhubarb stalks into salt and ate chunks of same. The sour/salt taste was similar in a way to margaritas served in salt-rimmed glasses which we loved as we got older.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 28, 1:45*am, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> I have a friend that likes warm chili over vanilla ice cream and another
> friend that likes a thin chocolate pudding over a piece of apple pie.
>
> I've always liked toasted cold left-over liver sandwiches with catsup in
> them, and like to smear a banana with peanut butter before eating it,
> but not sure that is "odd" exactly, but it's darn tasty!
>
> If you have any strange combos that you like, what are they?
>
> Judy

Peanut butter, crispy iceberg lettuce (sprinkled with salt) and mayo
on white bread. To die for.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 28, 3:25*am, Sock > wrote:
> On 28/09/2011 4:45 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:
>

> > I have a friend that likes warm chili over vanilla ice cream and another
> > friend that likes a thin chocolate pudding over a piece of apple pie.

> > I've always liked toasted cold left-over liver sandwiches with catsup in
> > them, and like to smear a banana with peanut butter before eating it,
> > but not sure that is "odd" exactly, but it's darn tasty!

> > If you have any strange combos that you like, what are they?

> > Judy

> I enjoy sliced apples with salt on them. Some people seem to think that
> is odd - until they try it.

I and my friends always used to have a salt shaker in one hand and an
apple in the other. Not so weird. Except all the sodium warnings
nowadays.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 14:53:35 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:
>

>>On 28-Sep-2011, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>>
>>> Obviously WE don't think it odd but sometimes others do I always eat
>>> cheese with fruitcake and sometimes with apple pie.

>>Yum; a nice slice of cheddar on apple pie. It's especially tasty on apple
>>pie warmed under the broiler, just enough to slightly melt the cheddar.

> I like it every decade or so. But my father in law used to say
> "Apple pie without some cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze."

He was a good man)
--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 28, 6:19*am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
> "Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> > I have a friend that likes warm chili over vanilla ice cream and another
> > friend that likes a thin chocolate pudding over a piece of apple pie.

> > I've always liked toasted cold left-over liver sandwiches with catsup in
> > them, and like to smear a banana with peanut butter before eating it,
> > but not sure that is "odd" exactly, but it's darn tasty!

> > If you have any strange combos that you like, what are they?

> Well I have a favourite which is common where I grew up in Yorkshire.
> Obviously WE don't think it odd but sometimes others do * I always eat
> cheese with fruitcake and sometimes with apple pie.
> --http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Apple pie should have a small wedge of Cheddar cheese along with it -
everyone knows that! ;-)

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 28, 6:59*am, sf > wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 18:25:29 +1000, Sock > wrote:
> > I enjoy sliced apples with salt on them. Some people seem to think that
> > is odd - until they try it.

> My dad likes watermelon with salt. *Not my cup of tea, although feta
> and watermelon salad tastes better than it sounds.
>
> -- *
>
> You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.

I put salt on all the reg'lar melons - canteloupe, watermelon,
honeydew melon.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 28, 7:46*am, George Leppla > wrote:
> On 9/28/2011 1:45 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:
>
> > If you have any strange combos that you like, what are they?

> Down here in the South they put mustard on hamburgers. *Now THAT is odd!
>
> George L

Huh? What's weird about that? Hamburger joints and diners always
have catsup AND yellow mustard on the table. I do NOT put catsup on
anything but French fries, so catsup on hamburgers and hotdogs is
weird in my world. LOL.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy Haffner wrote:

>If you have any strange combos that you like, what are they?

I don't know that these are so strange...
I like an omelet filled with grape jelly.
I like hot boiled potatoes smushed with plain yogurt... I think it's
better than baked with sour cream... and much easier to prepare.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/28/2011 10:00 AM, l, not -l wrote:
> On 28-Sep-2011, George > wrote:
>
>> Down here in the South they put mustard on hamburgers. Now THAT is odd!
>>
>> George L

> Huh! That's the way God meant for hamburgers to be dressed - a least
> partially. Fully dressed would add pickle and onion (raw or grilled) to
> the mustard. Oh, and none of that frou-frou brown or wine mustard - if it
> ain't yellow mustard, it better be horseradish.

Agrees with you. Mustard rules!

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Ema Nymton > wrote:

>Agrees with you. Mustard rules!

Not having mustard on a hamburger strikes me as weird - I'm surprised folks
find the opposite.

But YELLOW mustard??? Never understood why that putrescent stuff exists.

My own perhaps-unusual combo, which admittedly I haven't tried in a few years
(not being much of a breakfast eater) is chocolate syrup on oatmeal.

Art

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> On Sep 28, 6:19 am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>> "Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

>> > I have a friend that likes warm chili over vanilla ice cream and
>> > another
>> > friend that likes a thin chocolate pudding over a piece of apple pie.

>> > I've always liked toasted cold left-over liver sandwiches with catsup
>> > in
>> > them, and like to smear a banana with peanut butter before eating it,
>> > but not sure that is "odd" exactly, but it's darn tasty!

>> > If you have any strange combos that you like, what are they?

>> Well I have a favourite which is common where I grew up in Yorkshire.
>> Obviously WE don't think it odd but sometimes others do I always eat
>> cheese with fruitcake and sometimes with apple pie.

> Apple pie should have a small wedge of Cheddar cheese along with it -
> everyone knows that! ;-)

Oh yes So now.. will you try cheese with fruit cake?
--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 12:19:08 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message
>>
>> I have a friend that likes warm chili over vanilla ice cream and another
>> friend that likes a thin chocolate pudding over a piece of apple pie.
>>
>> I've always liked toasted cold left-over liver sandwiches with catsup in
>> them, and like to smear a banana with peanut butter before eating it,
>> but not sure that is "odd" exactly, but it's darn tasty!
>>
>> If you have any strange combos that you like, what are they?

>Well I have a favourite which is common where I grew up in Yorkshire.
>Obviously WE don't think it odd but sometimes others do I always eat
>cheese with fruitcake and sometimes with apple pie.

"Apple pie without some cheese,
Is like a kiss without a squeeze."

For me, make that old Cheddar.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 07:46:21 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:

>On 9/28/2011 1:45 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:
>> If you have any strange combos that you like, what are they?

>Down here in the South they put mustard on hamburgers. Now THAT is odd!

Mustard as a condiment on a hamburger has always been standard around
these parts as long as I can remember (Southern Ontario, Canada).
Mayo on a burger seemed odd when I first saw it a few years ago but
more places seem to offer it now.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 11:50:42 +0200, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "Sock" > wrote
>>>

>> I enjoy sliced apples with salt on them. Some people seem to think that
>> is odd - until they try it.

> Have you tried pepper on watermelon?

i need pepper for cantaloupe, but not for watermelon.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 08:45:40 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2 wrote:

> On Sep 28, 7:46*am, George Leppla > wrote:
>> On 9/28/2011 1:45 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:
>>
>>> If you have any strange combos that you like, what are they?

>> Down here in the South they put mustard on hamburgers. *Now THAT is odd!
>>
>> George L

> Huh? What's weird about that? Hamburger joints and diners always
> have catsup AND yellow mustard on the table. I do NOT put catsup on
> anything but French fries, so catsup on hamburgers and hotdogs is
> weird in my world. LOL.
>
> N.

ketchup on the burger, not on the dog.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 08:45:40 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
wrote:
George Leppla wrote:
Judy Haffner wrote:

>>> Down here in the South they put mustard on hamburgers. Now THAT is
>>> odd!

>> Huh? What's weird about that? Hamburger joints and diners always
>> have catsup AND yellow mustard on the table. I do NOT put catsup
>> on
>> anything but French fries, so catsup on hamburgers and hotdogs is
>> weird in my world. LOL.

> ketchup on the burger, not on the dog.
>
> your pal,
> blake

And awaaaay we go!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/28/2011 10:57 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "l, not -l" > wrote in message
>>
>> On 28-Sep-2011, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>>
>>> Obviously WE don't think it odd but sometimes others do I always eat
>>> cheese with fruitcake and sometimes with apple pie.

>> Yum; a nice slice of cheddar on apple pie. It's especially tasty on apple
>> pie warmed under the broiler, just enough to slightly melt the cheddar.

> YES)))))))))))))))

Unmelted cheddar cheese is a common accompaniment to apple pie in New
England and Northern England, especially Yorkshire.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 9/28/2011 10:57 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Yum; a nice slice of cheddar on apple pie. It's especially tasty on
>>> apple
>>> pie warmed under the broiler, just enough to slightly melt the cheddar.

>> YES)))))))))))))))
>>

> Unmelted cheddar cheese is a common accompaniment to apple pie in New
> England and Northern England, especially Yorkshire.

You are speaking to a Yorkshire Lass.. just so you know
--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/28/2011 1:45 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> I have a friend that likes warm chili over vanilla ice cream and another
> friend that likes a thin chocolate pudding over a piece of apple pie.
>
> I've always liked toasted cold left-over liver sandwiches with catsup in
> them, and like to smear a banana with peanut butter before eating it,
> but not sure that is "odd" exactly, but it's darn tasty!
>
> If you have any strange combos that you like, what are they?
>
> Judy

pecan pie and beer

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Member

peanut butter with fish fillet sandwich,
barbeque sauce with yoshinoya beef bowl,
coke and rice

to name a few..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy Haffner View Post
I have a friend that likes warm chili over vanilla ice cream and another
friend that likes a thin chocolate pudding over a piece of apple pie.

I've always liked toasted cold left-over liver sandwiches with catsup in
them, and like to smear a banana with peanut butter before eating it,
but not sure that is "odd" exactly, but it's darn tasty!

If you have any strange combos that you like, what are they?

Judy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy wrote:

>Huh? What's weird about that?
> Hamburger joints and diners always
> have catsup AND yellow mustard on the
> table. * I do NOT put catsup on anything
> but French fries, so catsup on
> hamburgers and hotdogs is weird in my
> world. LOL.

I don't see anything unusual at all about putting mustard on hamburgers,
as I often do, and usually mix it in with the meat itself before cooking
it. Mustard (French's yellow) adds flavor to many things...always use it
in my egg salad sandwiches too, and in many salads, especially potato
salad and it's a must on a hot dog. I do use Dijon mustard for some
cooking, but prefer the yellow for "simple flare" to 'spark' it up!

I like catsup on meatloaf sometimes, french fries, liver, hot dogs and
scrambled eggs. I know some people who just want to have everything
drenched in catsup. My hubby had a friend, that went hunting with him
and had to have catsup on his T-Bone steak, if you can imagine?!

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ross wrote:

>Mustard as a condiment on a hamburger
> has always been standard around these
> parts as long as I can remember
> (Southern Ontario, Canada). Mayo on a
> burger seemed odd when I first saw it a
> few years ago but more places seem to
> offer it now.

It has always been a popular condiment here too on a hamburger...even
McDonalds uses it on some. I prefer mayonnaise and also 1000 Island
dressing, but also like Farman's hamburger relish, but still have to
have good ol' mayo on it also!

In another post you said you liked p, butter and bacon sandwiches, and
that's my brother in law's favorite kind of PB sandwich. I haven't tried
it, but am sure I'd rather like it.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

>Unmelted cheddar cheese is a common
> accompaniment to apple pie in New
> England and Northern England,
> especially Yorkshire.

I have a friend that grew up in Minnesota, and she always has Cheddar on
her apple pie....said that's what she is use to. I've never tried it,
but I don't find the idea of unappetizing. However, I think I will still
with apple pie warm with ice cream on top.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

>pecan pie and beer

I love pecan pie, but will pass on the beer (never have liked it) so
make my pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream please!

Judy